Follow along as we build a MMR 5.4 1500 shortblock with a new 2011 Alloy Block

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hey guys, we wanted to post up some of the first 2011 GT500 Alloy block builds that we have been working on, we have sold quite a few of these over the last few months and get alot of questions regarding them so we figured we would do a short write up. This block is an option on all MMR 5.4 shortblocks and longblocks. They are pricey but have a 100+ lbs weight savings and are the strongest 5.4 block to date.

This write up is a brief overview of the assembly and is not meant to be instructional, if anyone has indepth questions we would be happy to answer them.

Some quick facts about the 2011 Blocks;

No more piston squirters
Different size main oil galley and freeze plugs
No more steel cylinder liner- piston rides on a coated aluminum bore!
Improved oil drain back holes- no more starvation at High rpm
Motor mounts only fit 05+ bodies , 96- to present will require MMR adapter

Enjoy!

First we start with the new block, these are fully machined and ready for assembly from Ford, due to the cylinder coating, boring and honing of this block is not possible and Ford has gone to great lengths to make sure they are 100% perfect.

DSC03717.jpg

After checking some of the critical measurements the block is cleaned and ready for assembly.

DSC03722.jpg

Next we install the ARP main studs which are std. on all MMR 1500 models and above.

DSC03723.jpg

The bearing are installed next, the MMR 1500 series engines use a heat treated bearing by clevite. A coating of royal purple synthetic assembly lube is applied. This assembly lube protects the bearings upon initial start-up which is a very critical time for a new engine.

DSC03724.jpg

The new forged crank is cleaned and inspected prior to installation.

DSC03719.jpg

Next the crank is lowered into its new home and the main caps are installed. The ARP studs are lubricated with ARP moly lube and then torqued in sequence to ARP's spec.

DSC03725.jpg

DSC03730.jpg

Next we focus on the Pistons and Rods.

DSC03732.jpg

The MMR 1500 series engines use the Manley Billet Rods, Team MMR has tested these beyond 1500HP and have found them to be the best Steel rod in the business!

DSC03733.jpg

The rods are paired up with a Manley forged Piston that has had a optional Ceramic dome coating. The pistons for this build feature a clear anodized coating to increase surface hardness. The piston pins are made from 9310 tool Steel - very strong.

DSC03734.jpg

Next the bearings are installed into the rods -once again the heat treated Clevite bearings.

DSC03736.jpg

Once the pistons have received the total seal rings they are installed into the cylinders 1 by 1.

DSC03737.jpg

The engine is rotated in the stand and the rod caps and ARP 2000 bolts are installed and torqued. From this angle the new oil drain back tubes can be clearly seen.

DSC03738.jpg

Finally all 8 cylinders are complete!

DSC03741.jpg

From the Bottom and front:

DSC03740.jpg

DSC03742.jpg

Thank you for coming in guys! Let us know if you have any questions!

CPRsm

Money aside, GT block or 2011 ?
Thinking out loud here.
2011 with no sleeves seems like a throw away block when worn out or damaged from a failure. Or you HAVE to sleeve rather than boring to keep block.
Is it stronger than the GT ? I know you trust to 1500rwhp, but the GT has done 2000 hp.
Can GT block be blended/worked for better flow to come close or match the 2011 ?

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Money aside, GT block or 2011 ?
Thinking out loud here.
2011 with no sleeves seems like a throw away block when worn out or damaged from a failure. Or you HAVE to sleeve rather than boring to keep block.
Is it stronger than the GT ? I know you trust to 1500rwhp, but the GT has done 2000 hp.
Can GT block be blended/worked for better flow to come close or match the 2011 ?

Good question, we have made over 2300HP with the GT block, this block is stronger as far as foundation goes but the cylinder material does not leave much room for error or rebuild -it would simply need to be sleeved in the event of a failure. The GT block will never be able to match the oil return flow of the 2011 block. MMR has already began a new engine build for the racecar using the 2011 block so we will see how far we can push it. :beer:

German Boy

Established Member
Thanks for the info.

Some quick facts about the 2011 Blocks;

No more piston squirters
Different size main oil galley and freeze plugs
No more steel cylinder liner- piston rides on a coated aluminum bore!
Improved oil drain back holes- no more starvation at High rpm
Motor mounts only fit 05+ bodies , 96- to present will require MMR adapter

Three hole main Alley for better air circulation

CPRsm

How much you want for the old short ? lol

The GT blocks still have starvation problems with big pans in the 1/4 ? Or runs like in the salts and Tex mile ?

So basically either needs a sleeve from failure ?

<------trying to figure out which block for this turd I have. If I don't just re-rod it, it's getting a good short

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
How much you want for the old short ? lol

The GT blocks still have starvation problems with big pans in the 1/4 ? Or runs like in the salts and Tex mile ?

So basically either needs a sleeve from failure ?

<------trying to figure out which block for this turd I have. If I don't just re-rod it, it's getting a good short

Yes, money aside the 2011 block with darton sleeves, we have one being built now - interested in a write up on this one too?

CPRsm

Take a guess my friend!

It was picked up today and on its way to you!
Awh shit son !

Yes, money aside the 2011 block with darton sleeves, we have one being built now - interested in a write up on this one too?

If there is anymore to add to it sure. Never against seeing awesomeness. I wouldn't need the Darton's personally. The $$ to return with it wouldn't be worth the squeeze. But 100 lbs off the nose for 2300, yes please!! Weight is the same apparently or not enough to mention on ea. Price tag difference of about 1k is nice for the 2011. But just wanted to make sure that 1k didn't short me on something I might miss, like strength. Generally too much is not enough for. Addictive behavior. Already bored with the stock short block. Don't want to look back and regret not spending 1k.

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
Take a guess my friend!

It was picked up today and on its way to you!

Kinda had that feeling man. Looks good and thanks for everything. As you know, this is gonna be the center of a Shortblock Install Thread I'm gonna do on here. More to come......:rockon:

Dan Schoneck

Established Member
Nice But BOOO HOOO on the no piston oilers, The 6.2, 5.0 and ecoboost has them. Why did ford not retain that in these blocks? I like the 3 extra air holes in the mains.

Nice build

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Nice But BOOO HOOO on the no piston oilers, The 6.2, 5.0 and ecoboost has them. Why did ford not retain that in these blocks? I like the 3 extra air holes in the mains.

Nice build

Hey Dan, we disagree, the Gt500 is Fords Flagship muscle car and they clearly felt they were not needed and for the most part we agree with them. In your defense the oilers can be nice for endurance applications, but even on the 2011 5.0 we have been deleting them for High HP applications - one benefit to this is improved oiling to the bearings.

Thanks for reading! :beer:

skyhighsd

Established Member
Kinda had that feeling man. Looks good and thanks for everything. As you know, this is gonna be the center of a Shortblock Install Thread I'm gonna do on here. More to come......:rockon:

Congrats, looking forward to hearing your review of this :beer:

MMR- whats the price tag on this short block?

CT_Morgan

Established Member
Yes, what's the price tag on this short block? May just bite the bullet and swap the pulley on the Whipple to have a little more fun.

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member

Just picked up the motor guys and everything looks great. I'll start posting things early next week. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread