TC at 650 h.p.

Blackmax

Established Member
Yesterday I took the car out for a quick spin on the highway and puched it from third through fourth, I though I smelled clutch and was wondering if was the traction control. 99% of the time I drive with it off but didn't think it came on unless it actually felt the tires break. Could it load up the engine causing clutch to slip ?

jsarkis

Established Member
Any spirited driving with TC on will prematurely wear your clutch (especially launches). That is why I always turn mine off unless it's wet or freezing outside.

bull3441

Established Member
leave it on unless you're art a track. unless you want some guy giving you mouth to mouth. what tires are you running in the rear? it's always good to learn the limits of your car, but did at a track(open, auto-x etc)

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
So I take it that even though I have traction with my drag radials that the traction control thinks they are about to break loose because of the extra torque ?

bull3441

Established Member
So I take it that even though I have traction with my drag radials that the traction control thinks they are about to break loose because of the extra torque ?
on the 07-09's the only two options for TC is on/off. you could just be burning the clutch with the increased power. did you ever have the TSB done? the traction warning light isn't flashing right?

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Clutch....

To hell with TC, I disabled mine permanently...

The last thing I need is the car cutting power and shifting the weight of the car on a skid when it could be corrected through steering and articulating the throttle.....

Been there done that, took the driving course..

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Do the relay mod for the TC, it will always be off upon start up and if you ever need it, just press the button and it turns on.... Basically it will work backards to how it's setup right now

Blackmax

Established Member
on the 07-09's the only two options for TC is on/off. you could just be burning the clutch with the increased power. did you ever have the TSB done? the traction warning light isn't flashing right?

Clutch is brand new McLoed RXT but you never know. I guess the smell could be something else burning up ? I will check out the link for the relay mod, thanks.

jimh

Established Member
Clutch isn't computer controlled at all so I don't see how traction control activating could have any effect on the clutch. Clutch could be slipping. Could it have been your brakes?

F8L SN8K

Established Member
The way the traction control system works is the computer using the ABS speed sensors detects 2 things. First that the rear tires are going faster then the front at this point the computer is being told tires are spinning and backs off timing. In this situation the computer is under the assumption it is a aggresive launch when racing. Second it senses that one of the front tires is moving at a faster speed then the other front WHILE the rear tires are going at a faster speed. This situation indicates to the computer that the tires are spinning and car is drifting side ways and will be out of control. At this point it sees how drastic the wheel speed variance is, retards the timing even greater(even sometimes goes as far as to pull fuel and ignition) and applies rear brake pressure to bring the car back into alignment.

If it is clutch that you are smelling could it be that it is still breaking in? Was everything adjusted correctly? Foot was not riding on the clutch pedal? Spirited driving in high HP applications tends to put a lot of stress and heat on all components.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
For me I would say yes. At the track and potential street race I just get a bit too excited and forget to turn it off. Plus I'm over 50 dammit. :??:

funny_senior_citizen_speckcase-p176988539979561894vu1z1_400.jpg

:lol:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread