Replacing shaker 500 with factory navigation unit

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Kind of uncharted waters for me since I'm hardly an audiophile by any means. Every thread I've ever seen posted was incomplete and left me with quite a few questions. I fully understand that there are better aftermarket units out there - I don't doubt that. My intent is simply to add the factory system I would have ordered had I the opportunity with the car I purchased.

To start, I picked up the unit from the GT500 Parts Buy/Sell forum here at SVTP, under the Interior/Exterior Parts listings. It arrived well packed sometime this afternoon (thanks Landon). Landon stated that he had plugged it into his '09 GT500 and that it worked fine. My understanding is that it was never installed and is essentially a new OEM factory Mustang unit.

IMG_8241.jpg

IMG_8253.jpg

Apparently, Pioneer makes or made these for Ford.

IMG_8244.jpg

Thankfully, the part number can be clearly deciphered from the tag on the back of the unit

IMG_8243.jpg

I found a source on the web that broke down the part numbers by Ford vehicles and sure enough 7R3T-18K931-BC crosses to 2007 Mustang convertible (third up from the bottom on the chart)

ScreenHunter_01Jul011855.gif

Under the heading "Dealer Installed Upgrades" I see a cross to Delphi DLP/4071093. Anyone know what the upgrade actually is? At the bottom of that section it states " Delphi DLP needs antennae and modified harness" and I have no idea what the hell that means either.

My hope is that my '09 GT500 has the necessary harnesses to plug into the back to allow the radio and navigation to work. Sat radio is great but I just don't drive the car enough to justify paying for it (but it would be nice to be able to plug it in in case I ever did want it).

IMG_8246.jpg

Can anyone identify what plugs into each of these?

IMG_8252.jpg

And what is the rubber plug covered/barbed/internally thread (but also plugged halfway) piece for?

IMG_8248.jpg

I'm just trying to identify if there is anything additional I need to purchase (do our premium GT500's come with every harness in place whether you ordered the matching system for it or not?) such as a navigation antennae?

In addition, any quickies on console/dash removal necessary to get to the guts of this install? Anyone that may have a bookmarked photo writeup would certainly be appreciated! Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Tob

Last edited:

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Just an antennae and wire harness...any car audio shop will have those or be able to get them. Antennas are like ~$35 & the wiring harness is ~$20, both depending on what head unit it is. I'd get a local car audio shop to install it for $100.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'll definitely be doing the install myself.

So are you saying that our cars don't come with either the antennae (if not originally nav equipped) or the wiring harness?

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Red is for sirius sat/nav antenna and the other is for oem antenna

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
The rubber doohickey is a rear support. It rests on a crossbar. The GPS antenna is up under the drivers side dash if it's there. The sattelite processor is a separate unit that installs behind the panel on the passenger side of the trunk. GOTSVT is correct about the jacks. The audio system plugs should all be there, probably plugged into your current radio.

You have to remove the top of your console (two screws at the back and just clips everywhere else) and the two radio side panels (pull straight backwards). Everything else is screwed together. It'll be obvious. (Famous last words) Oh, the cover panel for the radio has a tab tucked behind the metal dash piece (by the a/c vents).

Hope that helps,
Steve

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Two more items.
You'll need a Navteq DVD for the nav unit.
I've heard, but haven't verified, that the dealer needs to initialize the unit to the car.

Steve

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks guys. I found a writeup on modifying the TCS "default to off on startup" here that depicts rather clearly how to get the radio out. Mirrors what you said, Steve.

I see 10E893 as the GPS antennae at about $100 retail

ScreenHunter_04Jul012114.gif

But seriously, $220 retail for the DVD? Crikey!!

ScreenHunter_07Jul012134.gif

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'm aware of aftermarket units as I stated initially. But this is what I have and this is what I'll be installing.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
TOB stop being cheap! LOL good find and all should workout well. Like all have stated everything should just plug in. Only thing you need to get is the GPS antenna ( should be the pink slot in the rear) and your set. I haven't priced one yet but I washed my car the other day and noticed mine is cracked. When I blow dry the car it has water coming out of it. Going to see what the warranty covers on that. Good luck and look forward to the write up. On a side note would have enjoyed reading a write up on the SYNC install.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
New, unused factory nav systems generally don't come cheap. I wish they did.

You mean your satellite antennae is cracked, not your gps antennae, correct?

My wish was to install the latest nav/sync system that is factory Ford. I'll get my feet wet with this one and see what comes up in the future.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
So I stopped by my local Ford dealer today to check on the navigation antenna. Sure enough, he brought up the same screen as I was looking at on Fordparts.com...

ScreenHunter_07Jul012134.gif

I was quoted ~$80 for it. I let them know I was going to check a couple of local sound shops for a better price but that I may be back. Both stereo stores were a bit clueless as to function and both asked why I wanted a factory nav unit (sigh). I'll be getting a factory nav antenna next week.

So I headed home, hellbent on going through the install (for now) anyway. Following an excellent writeup I found at The Mustangsource I had the Shaker500 out in a few moments. It is easily half the weight of the nav unit. It must run hot too as there are holes everywhere on the case (nav unit has a fan at the rear). Note the missing antenna connection for the navigation antenna on the Shaker...

IMG_8254.jpg

IMG_8257.jpg

IMG_8258.jpg

Interesting that the Shaker is "assembled" in Mexico and not Japan

IMG_8259.jpg

Dash guts

IMG_8267.jpg

I plugged everything into the nav unit short of the gps antenna and slipped the attachment screws back in

IMG_8271.jpg

Almost there, I powered up the system to make sure it wasn't dead. It works!

IMG_8272.jpg

IMG_8274.jpg

When I pushed the maps button on the unit the following screen comes up

IMG_8276.jpg

Obviously, I need the DVD. Trying to burn a DVD copy of the disc that is in the nav unit of my wife's 2007 Mountaineer, I quickly found I need a dual layer disc and burner. The Navteq DVD has a ton of data on it, so much so that you can't burn it on a standard DVD-R or DVD-RW. I found a few torrents of the latest North America Navteq maps for Ford and I'll head off to Office Max tomorrow for whatever hardware I need.

What was really cool was how the unit ejects the discs. It cocked sideways and spit it out. I did not know it did that and either did my wife.

Something else - there is no screen button for playing plug in devices such as a portable mp3 player. I think it should have shown up in the upper right hand corner next to the "SR" button and just under the digital clock in the following photo (the button should say "LINE IN")

IMG_8277.jpg

I'm assuming I have to get this programmed by the dealer to turn that function on (anyone know this specifically?). If I can't input mp3's to this nav unit like I could to the Shaker unit I'll be very disappointed, especially since the nav unit on my wife's Mountaineer allows you to do it. I'll have to look to see if it can somehow be turned on or recognized by its own diagnostic system.

Something else, and I noticed similar comments when studying a number of threads where others had done this same swap - the sound doesn't rock as hard as the Shaker did (another programming thing?). Even manually cranking up the bass doesn't match the previous system. The Black Keys "I'm Howlin' For You" loses just about everything.

My fingers are crossed. Any of you with experience here - by all means, please chime in.

Tob

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Hmmm, I'll do some research and get back to you on that one. It's the one in the middle of the trunk. Figured it was both. I have an aftermarket one on my truck that does both. Eliminated having two black boxes on the dash on each side lol. Not just one in the middle with two wires that come off and plug into the Nav. (Pioneer Z1 old school). Might be for the Satellite radio which makes me wonder where is the GPS antenna located?

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
On a side note. I know you are pretty thorough with things. Do the radio's have the same wattage? I know some Nav units really don't have any decent wattage output and normally have amps hooked up to them. If the radio that came out is say 50w per channel and the one you replaced it with is only 25w per channel it would explain your sound problems. Most with Nav have small amplifiers inside to make room for the other electronics. Just a thought.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Dirty, I'm hoping that the guy that handles this stuff at my local dealer knows his stuff. I'm starting to wonder if output is regulated by the programming and if it can be changed to match the rest of the system. Which if it can, I'm sure the window is rather small.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the early 07 Nav units did not have the AUX input. I know they didn't have the jack in the center console so this could explain why the icon isn't showing up.

From what I remember the Nav unit is a Shaker 500 unit. So it should be the same wattage out put.

Users who are viewing this thread