Road Race Tracking 2011 GT500

Radiologue

Driver Enthusiast
Established Member
Wanted to get some other guys experience and comments.

Spent a weekend tracking my 2011 GT500 at Road Atlanta.
Rearend overheated...anybody using a differential cooler?
Anybody using a harness bar only?

I've upgraded the rotors and installed the Ford Racing handling package.

Van@RevanRacing

Wanted to get some other guys experience and comments.

Spent a weekend tracking my 2011 GT500 at Road Atlanta.
Rearend overheated...anybody using a differential cooler?
Anybody using a harness bar only?

I've upgraded the rotors and installed the Ford Racing handling package.

If you were spitting fluid out of the diff on a 2011 at RA you were beating the crap out of that car!! Well DONE!!!

I don't like harness bars. They are dangerous in the even of a roll over. A catch can for the diff works great as well.

I've got thousands of miles at Sebring, Daytona, Palm Beach International, Hallett and Homestead in my GT500.

Give me a shout and we can talk about what you need to effectively open track potentially time trial or road race a GT500. I've done them all. :beer:

Van
561-445-7702

Radiologue

Driver Enthusiast
Established Member
If you were spitting fluid out of the diff on a 2011 at RA you were beating the crap out of that car!! Well DONE!!!

I don't like harness bars. They are dangerous in the even of a roll over. A catch can for the diff works great as well.

I've got thousands of miles at Sebring, Daytona, Palm Beach International, Hallett and Homestead in my GT500.

Give me a shout and we can talk about what you need to effectively open track potentially time trial or road race a GT500. I've done them all. :beer:

Van
561-445-7702

Van
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I had a blast beating the car at RA. It was my first time out on the track in that car...The car did descent in stock form but brakes and suspension could use some help. The diff spitting fluid was a bit concerning to me as well since I've never had that happen in any of my other cars.

So the front suspension pushes and does not have enough negative camber. I totally tosted the outside of both front tires...I was waiting for wires to start hanging out...but I tore two rubber valvestems that ended my day instead.

The brake set-up is insufficient to handle the beating. I had race pads, but brake fade was still a problem. I toasted the stock rotors.

For now, I'm just looking to make the car more reliable and fun on the track. I've had faster cars, but I'm more interested in seat time than all out speed.

Radiologue

Driver Enthusiast
Established Member
Heading to Daytona International Speedway in October to run open track(Grand Am Rolex 24 hr race track set-up)

I can't wait to get out on the track again. It will be my first time on Daytona.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Van is the MAN when it comes to on road racing events, call him for your complete setup. He will not steer you in the wrong direction.

Far as fluid woes in your rear diff, you need a fluid that can handle the punishment after all of your upgrades.

Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140

This would be the perfect lubricant to support your habit, and work in harmony with the new diff. cover and diff. catch can.

Van@RevanRacing

Van
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I had a blast beating the car at RA. It was my first time out on the track in that car...The car did descent in stock form but brakes and suspension could use some help. The diff spitting fluid was a bit concerning to me as well since I've never had that happen in any of my other cars.

So the front suspension pushes and does not have enough negative camber. I totally tosted the outside of both front tires...I was waiting for wires to start hanging out...but I tore two rubber valvestems that ended my day instead.

The brake set-up is insufficient to handle the beating. I had race pads, but brake fade was still a problem. I toasted the stock rotors.

For now, I'm just looking to make the car more reliable and fun on the track. I've had faster cars, but I'm more interested in seat time than all out speed.

Give me a shout sometime and we can discuss your set up so we can increase seat time.

Speaking of seat time...............I'm going to Daytona the first weekend in December and it is strictly HPDE. We get a lot of Grand Am and KONI cars out there doing testing within the instructor group. The main point being that you get a lot more seat time in December than you will in October because PBOC runs races and they will cut HPDE time short for racers.

Van
561-445-7702

Van@RevanRacing

Some Mustang guys have used this kit as well....little bit cheaper than the other one posted by about $1K

VAC Differential Cooler Kit - 6 ft Hose Diff MOCAL Aeroquip $600

I've personally found that Ford over fills the diff from the factory and the stock diff fluid is not up to the rigors of open track etc.

I do not run a diff cooler. I never have. Diff coolers are great however that is for more extended/abusive use. What you really need is a catch can and a breather system. After I did that I have not had a single issue during 30 minute Time Trial sessions and I change the diff fluid regularly. Usually after 4 to 6 days of open track. It's overkill but it seems to work.

Radiologue

Driver Enthusiast
Established Member
Give me a shout sometime and we can discuss your set up so we can increase seat time.

Speaking of seat time...............I'm going to Daytona the first weekend in December and it is strictly HPDE. We get a lot of Grand Am and KONI cars out there doing testing within the instructor group. The main point being that you get a lot more seat time in December than you will in October because PBOC runs races and they will cut HPDE time short for racers.

Van
561-445-7702

Van

I usually run with Chin Motorsports who also devote the entire day to HPDE, but I jumped at my first opportunity to do Daytona. I don't get many opportunities to get to the track, so I've got to take what I can get.

Thanks for your direction. I'll track you down once I'm ready to invest in modifications on my GT500... I've got to get rid of two of my other track cars (money pits) and then I will be ready to fully jump into making necessary changes to my GT500. I don't want to waste your time until then.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
I put the Shelby KR catch can in mine. I have friends that just added a long tube and placed it higher up and that stopped the spray but almost all the S197 mustangs have had this issue. BTW the Shelby part was like 100 bucks.

Upgrade your brake fluid to Dot 4.

Here is a article on my car vs a Griggs car.
I was on street tires and was 6 seconds off the pace of the Griggs car. Not to bad for a All purpose Budget build. I have run Sebring as well and am also tossing December around for Daytona.
Mustang Triple Threat Throwdown - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

Van@RevanRacing

Van

I usually run with Chin Motorsports who also devote the entire day to HPDE, but I jumped at my first opportunity to do Daytona. I don't get many opportunities to get to the track, so I've got to take what I can get.

Thanks for your direction. I'll track you down once I'm ready to invest in modifications on my GT500... I've got to get rid of two of my other track cars (money pits) and then I will be ready to fully jump into making necessary changes to my GT500. I don't want to waste your time until then.

We're not wasting time when we are laying the ground work for a solid plan! :beer: Good luck with the sale of the other cars.

Radiologue

Driver Enthusiast
Established Member
I put the Shelby KR catch can in mine. I have friends that just added a long tube and placed it higher up and that stopped the spray but almost all the S197 mustangs have had this issue. BTW the Shelby part was like 100 bucks.

Upgrade your brake fluid to Dot 4.

Here is a article on my car vs a Griggs car.
I was on street tires and was 6 seconds off the pace of the Griggs car. Not to bad for a All purpose Budget build. I have run Sebring as well and am also tossing December around for Daytona.
Mustang Triple Threat Throwdown - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

Thank you for the input. I'm sure I'll eventually see you out on the track.

Users who are viewing this thread