Piss on Fox Sports1 99COBRA2881's Avatar

Failed engine oil pressure switch

I was checking out the digital readings on my car tonight. http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm
    I notied that my oil pressure read 000. I check the DTCs and sure enough I had a code 5284 oil pressure switch failure. Where's the Oil Press. Switch located and how hard is it to replace/how much is a new one? Thanks

MIDCONTINENT MUSTANGS Go Fast. Brake Faster.
    'Brake Duct Backing Plate Kit'
    "Everything you need for cooler brakes."
    High temp. 300 hose. 3" I.D.
    Available for 94-04 Mustang Cobra and GT.
    2005+ Mustang GT and GT500 "Mongo" brake duct kits coming soon.
    94-98 Cobra Fog light adapters. Allows easy installation of brake ducts on SN Cobras.
    96-04 DOHC Temp Adapter
    Install a coolant gauge on your DOHC Mustang. Keep an eye on those engine temps. $30 shipped.
    DOHC coolant crossover stock replacement plugs also available. $25 shipped.

AI #28 NASA Central Region

4cams aren't better then1
    if the gauge moves don't do anything about it.
    05 MB S500, 96 911 turbo

Piss on Fox Sports1 99COBRA2881's Avatar
    The guage moves. I dont put much faith in the stock oil pressure guage, I saw the DTC and figured there was a problem. For future know just to know information where is the oil pressure sender located at? Thanks for the quick reply.

4cams aren't better then1
    its located on the bottom of the oil cooler adapter which is right by the filter.

If the engine is not running, the oil pressure sender code is not valid. Keep in mind that when it comes to running on demand computer tests, certin opertating conditions must be met befor the test is run to avoid generating invalid codes.

Yup, if your factory gauge moves, the switch is working properly.

...but if your POS factory oil pressure gauge DOES fail, it's most likely a bad switch/sender unit (located next to oil filter). Mine went bad, so I replaced it with p/n 1U5Z-9278-DA. Thank god I was running an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. LOL

I found this reference the Bullitt Archive website, linked below:

http://www.bullittarchive.com/html/m...cle.php?id=115

Main site: http://www.bullittarchive.com/html/

Listed under "Special Service Messages:"

R&R oil pressure switch F8AZ-9278-DA with 1U5Z-9278-DA
    Some 1999-2001 Range, Explorer/Mountaineer, Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis Town car, Mustang, F-150, Super_duty F-series, F650/750, Expedition/Navigator, E-series and Excursion may exhibit the oil pressure gauge registering low or no oil pressure usually on initial start-up after several hours of cold soak. Verify the gauge/wiring are functioning properly and verify the engine does have proper oil pressure. To service replace existing oil pressure switch F8AZ-9278-DA with 1U5Z-9278-DA. If any engine oil was lost during removal and installation refill to t appropriate oil level requirements reference your appropriate workshop manual fo rcomoplete service procedure.
    '01 Cobra Coupe
    -Delivered 6.09.01, w/ spoiler delete -Steeda Tri Ax
    -FL Densecharger CAI -O/R Magnaflow X pipe & catback -MM FL SFCs
    -276rwhp/284rwtq Dyno'ed 8.10.02 (before exh)
    -312rwhp/307rwtq Dyno'ed 8.09.03 (after exh)
    -Autometer Ultra Lite full sweep elec oil pressure & water temp gauges -Fluidyne rad

'94 Cobra Coupe-From 9/09 to 6/11 then SOLD
    -Steeda Tri Ax -JLT CAI -3.55 -O/R Magnaflow X-pipe & Magnapack catback -MM FL SFCs

The gauge is worthless. From what I've been told, it reads normal if it's above 6psi. If the gauge actually worked, it would fluctuate w/ rpm. Get a reptuable aftermarket gauge if you're concerned.

2011 Roush Stage 2, JLT w/ Evo/Lund Tune