Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 134
  1. #1
    P'O'd SVT POSTER
    Join Date
    January 2005
    Location
    Walnut, CA
    Posts
    326

    2007 Shelby Weight Problem????

    According to the recent Jan and Feb magazine articles, weight of the car (coupe??) comes in at 3855 lbs, with 10 gals of gas, 4155 lbs. Has anyone looked at the 2004 cobra and done a comparison in weight and determined if the new Shelby is worth the extra bucks???? Based on the standard Corvette C6 times, is this car going to be any quicker?????

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by 1993cobramustan
    According to the recent Jan and Feb magazine articles, weight of the car (coupe??) comes in at 3855 lbs, with 10 gals of gas, 4155 lbs. Has anyone looked at the 2004 cobra and done a comparison in weight and determined if the new Shelby is worth the extra bucks???? Based on the standard Corvette C6 times, is this car going to be any quicker?????
    The weight of the GT500 coupe is 3850. (at least that is what the mags are telling us) With ten gallons of fuel AND the driver it is 4155.
    Yes I wish the car was lighter too, but I dont believe the extra 200lbs that the car has over the 03-04 Cobra, is going to ruin the car either.

    The whole C6 comparison is irrelevant to me. I DONT want a Corvette! I want a Mustang! I wish everyone who keeps threatening to buy a Corvette instead, would... and then leave! Thats more for us! And dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way out! Rant off.

  3. #3
    bringing the pain!!! Phantom_LS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Waco Tx
    Posts
    1,130
    4155lbs for a mustang is re-****ing-diculous...

  4. #4
    Formally HISSMAN Crusifix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    21,008
    And people wonder why I went on a diet and lost 10 lbs.

  5. #5
    GOT BOOST?? KenneSVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, Texas
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by HISSMAN
    And people wonder why I went on a diet and lost 10 lbs.
    Right. That is an insane amount of weight for a mustang.
    KB L----SOLD
    My MySpace:
    http://www.myspace.com/sofa_king_slow

  6. #6
    Crazy SVT Poster G. El Dorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2005
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by blueovalkid
    The whole C6 comparison is irrelevant to me. I DONT want a Corvette! I want a Mustang! I wish everyone who keeps threatening to buy a Corvette instead, would... and then leave! Thats more for us! And dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way out! Rant off.
    I agree 100%!

  7. #7
    Crazy SVT Poster capello's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2004
    Location
    Oil Patch
    Posts
    726
    Lets all trade up to a 06 Z06.....

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by capello
    Lets all trade up to a 06 Z06.....
    If I am going to trade up from a GT500, its not going to be a Z06. Its going to be to a Ford GT.

  9. #9
    Crazy SVT Poster Diggy Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lake Charles
    Posts
    155
    I'm a loyal mustang fan looking to buy a new stang.But the Shelby,doesn't do it for me.Roush,Steeda,and Saleen mustangs are over priced.So the competitor is the only choice.
    The january showing is when my mind will be made up.

  10. #10
    Rescue Chief badsube's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 2005
    Location
    Bear Creek, PA
    Posts
    1,763
    speaking of january, does anyone know the date of the first auto show scheduled? i just want to know when all the speculation will stop, although i think it's safe to say it will be one heavy piece of metal with one hell of a motor, but not much more.

  11. #11
    Finish First ON D BIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Currently in Sonoma County
    Posts
    9,117
    Quote Originally Posted by TORCH_RED
    4155lbs for a mustang is re-****ing-diculous...
    it does not weigh 4100lbs. it weighs just over 200lbs more than the 03 cobra. and the 07 is a bigger car with a much bigger engine.

  12. #12
    SVT God Jpjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    2,060
    i don't really see the weight argument? these cars have always been tanks.. and the shelby is proportionally larger just like the GT. its hp to weight should be very similar though right? and with the larger displacement that ratio should move faster as the boost turns up.
    2003 10th Anniv. Vert

  13. #13
    Rookie SVT Poster
    Join Date
    December 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    25
    The Detroit Auto Show is from Jan 14th through the 22nd.

  14. #14
    Crazy SVT Poster G. El Dorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2005
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by blueovalkid
    If I am going to trade up from a GT500, its not going to be a Z06. Its going to be to a Ford GT.
    I'd go for a GT500E Super Snake with the 725hp supercharged 427.

    http://uniqueperformance.com/supersnakeGT500E.aspx

  15. #15
    Old School ROUSH SMOKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2001
    Location
    Newnan, GA
    Posts
    327
    Gross Curb weights:
    SN95
    96-98: 3064 approx
    99-04: 3242 approx
    S197
    05-06: 3477 approx
    Numbers are rough approximates, but the trend is apparent. Proportionally larger equates to heavier. The late model mustangs have gotten bigger and heavier and stiffer for better or worse.

  16. #16
    I8ASRT10 Cichlids's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2005
    Location
    Canuck Land
    Posts
    3,775
    When is the actually release date for the GT500 is it in the 1st quarter of 06?

  17. #17
    Banned 01L2Cobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2004
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by KenneSVT
    Right. That is an insane amount of weight for a mustang.
    Yea it is. The last Mustang to out weigh it was the 1969 GT500 vert and it was 4300lbs
    Last edited by 01L2Cobra; 12-12-2005 at 12:42 PM.

  18. #18
    Rescue Chief badsube's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 2005
    Location
    Bear Creek, PA
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by antirice66
    The Detroit Auto Show is from Jan 14th through the 22nd.
    thanks man. i'll be looking forward to it.

  19. #19
    P'O'd SVT POSTER
    Join Date
    January 2005
    Location
    Walnut, CA
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by badsube
    speaking of january, does anyone know the date of the first auto show scheduled? i just want to know when all the speculation will stop, although i think it's safe to say it will be one heavy piece of metal with one hell of a motor, but not much more.
    Detroit Show opens Jan 14...Press preview is on the 8th, so we might start getting info then.......

  20. #20
    P'O'd SVT POSTER
    Join Date
    January 2005
    Location
    Walnut, CA
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by blueovalkid
    The weight of the GT500 coupe is 3850. (at least that is what the mags are telling us) With ten gallons of fuel AND the driver it is 4155.
    Yes I wish the car was lighter too, but I dont believe the extra 200lbs that the car has over the 03-04 Cobra, is going to ruin the car either.

    The whole C6 comparison is irrelevant to me. I DONT want a Corvette! I want a Mustang! I wish everyone who keeps threatening to buy a Corvette instead, would... and then leave! Thats more for us! And dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way out! Rant off.
    First of all, we are comparing cars for another reason....Any manufacturer, can add some components to an existing car and say its the greatest since swiss cheese.....All we are saying is, if you are going to follow in the Shelby tradition, and for over 40,000.00...how about doing a little more engineering to replace some weight in the unibody, so that the car really has no equal....Chevrolet does it with the Corvettes, why can't Ford do it...(Aluminum block, lightweight body components......etc....etc....)

  21. #21
    P'O'd SVT POSTER
    Join Date
    January 2005
    Location
    Walnut, CA
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by Cichlids
    When is the actually release date for the GT500 is it in the 1st quarter of 06?
    Job 1 according to SVT is still June 06, but you never know with Ford, it could end up being later by a few months............

  22. #22
    I8ASRT10 Cichlids's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2005
    Location
    Canuck Land
    Posts
    3,775
    Ah ford is sooo slow bringing out there SVT line up!

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by 1993cobramustan
    First of all, we are comparing cars for another reason....Any manufacturer, can add some components to an existing car and say its the greatest since swiss cheese.....All we are saying is, if you are going to follow in the Shelby tradition, and for over 40,000.00...how about doing a little more engineering to replace some weight in the unibody, so that the car really has no equal....Chevrolet does it with the Corvettes, why can't Ford do it...(Aluminum block, lightweight body components......etc....etc....)
    This would be a good argument if the C6 and the GT500 were the same price, but they are not. (C6 starts at 44900, 46195 w/avg equip-numbers from GMs site- vs somewhere just north of 40,000 for the GT500 -although we really dont know what list will be yet nor do we know really what we will see in the production car but that is a whole different matter)
    I dont want to hear about dealer markup either, thats not Fords greed but the dealers. If you are dumb enough to pay it, well then that is your problem.
    I would like to think (hope) that if HTT had another 4 or 5 grand added to the price of this car that maybe he could have lightened up the car and added a few things that many feel are missing. (independant rear, aluminum block...etc.)
    Last edited by blueovalkid; 12-12-2005 at 11:20 PM.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by blueovalkid
    The weight of the GT500 coupe is 3850. (at least that is what the mags are telling us) With ten gallons of fuel AND the driver it is 4155.
    Yes I wish the car was lighter too, but I dont believe the extra 200lbs that the car has over the 03-04 Cobra, is going to ruin the car either.

    The whole C6 comparison is irrelevant to me. I DONT want a Corvette! I want a Mustang! I wish everyone who keeps threatening to buy a Corvette instead, would... and then leave! Thats more for us! And dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way out! Rant off.
    +1
    Last edited by Captain Beyond; 12-12-2005 at 11:09 PM.

    Ford...built without your tax dollars

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by blueovalkid
    If I am going to trade up from a GT500, its not going to be a Z06. Its going to be to a Ford GT.


Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •