Page 1 of 18 12345 11 ... LastLast
    Insane SVT Poster

Found an abandoned missile silo..

Today me and a few buddies went out exploring our local woods. What we stumbled upon has left us shocked.. We found an abandoned missile base! There were easily over 80 bunkers, its own powerplant (the generator looked like a monstrous whipple), its own water supply, and many other buildings that we didnt get to see because we ran out of daylight. Here are osme pics I took before the batteries died in the camera.

There were signs posted in some of the bunkers that we went in that said "MK 40Y1 WARHEAD" and "MK 40 MISSILE".. Anyone know about these missiles? I'm guessing this place was running during the cold war because it looks like it's been unoccupied atleast 20+ years now.. I'll be going back in the next week with a crowbar, bigass flashlight, and a few spare batts for the cam..

I'm sitll in awe of the whole place. I've never seen anything like it..
    Last edited by MAXX RS4; 03-11-2006 at 07:16 PM.
    http://pbialk.deviantart.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous.

This is sort of self-incrimating but whatever floats your boat.

That is pretty badass though.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Snover View Post
    But you know what the whirlpool could be? It could be reality itself is tearing, since this is in Norway, where President Obama is being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. They have finally gone and done it, the politicians have made such a radical departure from reality that the universe is ripping apart under the weight of the hypocrisy.

Jim Snover

That's crazy...
    1997 Terminated Mustang Roush

Stabbing the Drama TakeAwayTheFear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XR4Turbo
    This is sort of self-incrimating but whatever floats your boat.

but that is damn cool, i want to go!!!

It's an Atomic Serpent! Midnight_Cobra's Avatar
    Welcome to Saw 3!
    U.S.M.C. VETERAN - 2009 OEF - 2012 11th MEU
    2003 Cobra -605hp/556tq on 91 octane. Whipplecharged. Tuned by Greg @ RET.
    2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 - Daily

94GT 617 rwhp fun machine Blown408 86GT's Avatar
    Pretty cool...although I think what you might have found is an old ammo dump. Missile silos are below ground and usually are filled with concrete once the Air Force deactivates them. I've deactivated a few and its kind of cool...The equipment inside that we used to care and maintain was destroyed by us.

I've heard some of the Atlas and Titan sites being sold to the public...
    1994 GT 408 Supercharged
    1988 LX 5.0 bone stock
    Former vehicles
    2003 Redfire Cobra Coupe 11.7 @ 121 few mods
    2003 Mach 1 13.2 at 106.6 stock
    1993 LX 5.0
    1986 GT (the car that started it all)

How long have you lived in your area? You just decided to go out into the woods and stumbled across a missle silo? That is bizarre, did you ever hear about it before you found it? When I was younger me and my buds were out in the woods and found some old shack and decided to make it our new hideout spot. A few weeks later we find out a murderer in our area had used the same place to hide for a few nights, luckily not any nights we were there.

also, those radioactive signs look pretty new... try not to get caught by the Feds
    Last edited by fatboy01; 03-11-2006 at 07:25 PM.

Insane SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown408 86GT
    Pretty cool...although I think what you might have found is an old ammo dump. Missile silos are below ground and usually are filled with concrete once the Air Force deactivates them. I've deactivated a few and its kind of cool...The equipment inside that we used to care and maintain was destroyed by us.

I've heard some of the Atlas and Titan sites being sold to the public...
    Clearly that machine in the last pic is to hold missiles. There were also signs posted that said "MK 40Y1 WARHEADS" .. if that's just ammo, then I don't know what to say.. I went into about 6 of those garages (the last pic) and they all had one of those things in it.. When I get more pics, maybe things will clear up better..

Insane SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy01
    How long have you lived in your area? You just decided to go out into the woods and stumbled across a missle silo? That is bizarre, did you ever hear about it before you found it? When I was younger me and my buds were out in the woods and found some old shack and decided to make it our new hideout spot. A few weeks later we find out a murderer in our area had used the same place to hide for a few nights, luckily not any nights we were there.
    I've lived here for about 8 years.. This isn't exactly my backyard. Now that me and my buddies all drive, we're able to go farther. We had to drive about 20 minutes and decided to treck into some woods that we've never seen before.

And this place has no grafitti anywhere, so I don't think many kids know about it.. I've never heard about it either.. It was probably a good 3 miles into the woods..

New SVT Poster
    Wow!! Area 51 or what!!

It's more than likely an ammo depot from the cold war. Personally I would stay out, something about that big "Radioactive Materials" sign would keep me out. Still kinda cool though. Definitely get more pics of it.

more pictures!
    Mike

-2001 Black Cobra STOCK
    -91 Sonic Blue Coupe Boostin

HOLY SH!T!! That is pretty awesome. Are you not worried about the "radioactive materials"? Like someone said before, they look kind of new, I mean no rust or anything, even when the fence looks rusty. I don't blame you, I'd look all over the place if I was there.

I want a Cobra
    That's pretty cool! I'd like to see some more pics
    2000 Lightning
    Tune
    Pulley
    Exhaust

I noticed that you didn't post any "No Trespassing" signs. I would think that it would be posted as such. The radioactive materials are probably posted because of contamination from the stockpiles that were there. If so, proceed at your own risk. It's your lungs...your life. Go by a local hospital and ask an xray tech for one of those tags that react to radiation. That way, you will know for sure if you have commited suicide.
    Last edited by Sniperfox; 03-11-2006 at 07:50 PM.
    "You cannot fulfill your dreams unless you DARE to risk it all."

1971 Boss 351-gone but not forgotten
    1972 Mach 1-sold
    1990 LX 5.0-sold
    1993 LX 5.0 convertible-sold
    2003 SVT Cobra convertible-sold
    2013 GT Premium A6 daily cruiser

94GT 617 rwhp fun machine Blown408 86GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXX RS4
    Clearly that machine in the last pic is to hold missiles. There were also signs posted that said "MK 40Y1 WARHEADS" .. if that's just ammo, then I don't know what to say.. I went into about 6 of those garages (the last pic) and they all had one of those things in it.. When I get more pics, maybe things will clear up better..

Google it...Mk 40s are small rockets launched by the Apache helicopter. I agree the last pic is some sort of missile "rail set". However, its very doubtful its an ICBM missile silo site. As I said, they are underground and are spread out many miles apart. You probably found an old Nike maintenance and storage dump. I think New Jersey had a ton of them back in the day.

Its not a TUMAH Vashthestampede's Avatar
    I think thats an old NIKE sam site. They were surface to air missiles that were armed with a nuclear warhead and were based in new jersey.

http://alpha.fdu.edu/~bender/NYmsg.html

just take a geiger counter with you and explore "to infinity and beyond!!!..."(Buzz Lightyear)
    griffin
    1999 Cobra Vert Triple Black..603rwhp and 548rwtq..SOLD 1999 Lightning Red 380hp and 460tq. SOLD!...2003 10th anniversary Cobra 469rwhp 496rwtq. Panhandle tuned.SOLD!

that def held some kind of largee object(last pic) thats pretty sweet that you found that. i have seen some of those old missile silo home for sale on ebay and they have been decontaminated (i hope) looks like something outa a horrer movie.

That is pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing more pics.

Judging by the signs, don't be surprised if you wake up and your testicles decided not to work. Or you have a new arm that you affectionatly name Bobby. Or you just get Cancer.

Honestly more pics, that looks awesome

2003 Black SVT Cobra Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by MAXX RS4
    I've lived here for about 8 years.. This isn't exactly my backyard. Now that me and my buddies all drive, we're able to go farther. We had to drive about 20 minutes and decided to treck into some woods that we've never seen before.

And this place has no grafitti anywhere, so I don't think many kids know about it.. I've never heard about it either.. It was probably a good 3 miles into the woods..

Man that place brings back meomories,it was quite the well known area in my day.Just try not to get caught.That place will net you some federal prison time.....There is an active base or training facility right across the street,Lakehurst Naval Base,Fort Dix is all connected to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vashthestampede
    I think thats an old NIKE sam site. They were surface to air missiles that were armed with a nuclear warhead and were based in new jersey.

http://alpha.fdu.edu/~bender/NYmsg.html

surface to air missle with a nuclear warhead?? How big of a plane you trying to shoot down?
    03 Cobra - Sonic Blue
    KB 2.8H, 6spd, IRS 3700lbs
    9.82@139
    1.47 60ft
    [email protected] 1/8th

OG Eaton Warrior 10.89@127 --Oct 2005

Build in work -- Teksid 9:1,cams.....

DD
    08 F-250 Crew Cab FX4 6.4 Powerstroke

H&S XRT Pro/HD300, Deleted, Intake, Turboback
    567whp/1108tq

YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/xxwgxx

i know that site, they built it but then abondoned it after realizing that there's no good reason to defend jersey
    2001 Cobra convertible, 54k miles, sold | 2006 Acura rsx-s Stolen |

Current cars:
    2013 ZipCar membership card
    2012 Hertz On Demand membership card

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraing
    Judging by the signs, don't be surprised if you wake up and your testicles decided not to work. Or you have a new arm that you affectionatly name Bobby. Or you just get Cancer.

LMAO, that's great. That made me bust out laughing
    Last edited by iCEMANSGCCC; 03-11-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Page 1 of 18 12345 11 ... LastLast