Page 1 of 22 12345 11 ... LastLast

Rear differential cooler

Anyone run one? Where did you get it and what did it cost? did you install it?
    2004 Dark Shadow Gray Clearcoat Lightning
    03-07-09 357.29 hp with 417.41 torque
    2002 Harley Edition with a KB and stuff -- wifies daily driver
    The Government does not need to know who owns what firearm.
    The Government needs to remember that WE DO own firearms.

A few of us (mostly those of us who track our R's) have the Kenny Brown diff cooler installed. It is kinda pricey! Around $2000.00 installed.

Some folks have also built their own by ordering the parts and putting together a system from scratch. You can save a ton of money by doing this. I think maybe Brian did this??

Mine is mounted inside the trunk of the car. Although a better location is to mount it under the car behind the fuel cell/gas tank. More air flow there.
    Andy

'03 Cobra Coupe - road race prepped track car!
    '02 F-250 SD Crew Cab 4X4 Diesel - my daily driver and Cobra hauler
    '02 BMW 325Ci - my wife's daily driver
    '08 Nissan Sentra - daughter #1's car
    '11 Mazda3 Touring - daughter #2's car
    '00 Cobra R (#155 of 300) - SOLD!!

Just how necessary is the cooler?

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM ac427cobra's Avatar
    Originally posted by BillsSnake
    If you're going to be "tracking"? ABSOLUTELY necessary!!

I'm going to be putting my diff cooler in starting the beginning of February. Brian has posted some pictures on the SCMC board and they will be a huge help to me. (Thanks Brian ) I think I spent about $350.00 in parts but have to buy the fittings and lines yet.

BRUCE

Unhappy with your SN-95 (1999-2004) Cobra IRS?
    Got Wheel Hop, a leaking rear cover or a broken halfshaft?
    Getting passed on the track by Corvettes?

FIX IT!!

This is how:

http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/index.htm

If you have questions after reading the FAQ on our site: http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/faqs.htm

shoot me a PM and I will answer them for you!

We also have a complete line of brake parts, brake conversion kits, one pc rotors, two pc rotors, fixed and floating, street pads, race pads along with suspension components for both SN-95 and S-197 vehicles.

Visit our web site for more information:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/index.htm

Bruce do you happen to have a link to the SCMC forum that you refer to?

Bruce do you happen to have a link to the SCMC forum that you refer to?
    Bill:

Here is the link:

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/svtbbs2/...5&pagenumber=2

Go about halfway down the page (or there abouts) Brian posted rear diff cooler pics there.

The hot set up is to mount the heat exchanger and fan under the rear bumper behind the fuel cell like Andy said.

Hope this helps

Guys,
    When I get over to dads hanger (my 01 is stored there) I will shoot some pics of how we mounted the cooler on that car. I mounted it outside the car behind the fuel tank and it looks real good. It might take me a week or two to get over there (35 miles) but i will get it for ya.

Brian
    2005 NASA American Iron Midwest Champion.
    2006 NASA American Iron Midwest Champion
    2011 BMW M3: Interlagos blue, SMG
    2013 BMW X1
    2011 BMW X5
    2000 Cobra R 131 of 300 Built 3/15/00
    1995 Cobra R #23 (NASA AI Midwest #23)
    2008 Corvette Z06
    2010 Camaro SS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHKvd7ogOcM
    My braking point entering a corner is when I see the corner worker raising the yellow flag for me

Thanks Brian:

We appreciate your efforts

Insane SVT Poster Terry Moenich's Avatar
    What do you guys think about this idea. Instead of installing the cooler in the rear of the car like many have, how about installing a second engine cooler in front, above the original one, pump the fluid to the front of the car and back, no fan needed or anything. I have a Tilton pump that they swear can pull room temp 90 weight fluid straight up 12 feet without a problem. I explained what I wanted to do and they said the pump could handle that without a problem.

What do you guys think?

Hey Brian, did you do this without taking the diff out of the vehicle?
    Terry Moenich
    2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition
    2013 ZL12009 Chevy 2500 HD 4X4 (tow vehicle)
    2010 Cadillac CTS premium AWD (wifes Driver)
    2013 Cadillac CTS Coupe (My Driver)
    2009 Chevy 2500HD (Toy Hauler)
    Seasoned SVT Vehicle Owner

Bill,

The diff in our cars gets VERY VERY hot under track conditions... not sure exactly what the temps are as I have not yet installed a temp gauge (next on my list) but I know it gets damned hot. Just ask Joe Johnson. He ran a few track events without one when he first bought his R and melted the diff!

If you plan to open track the car and run it hard a few times a year, I would not do it without a diff cooler installed.

Originally posted by Terry Moenich
    What do you guys think about this idea. Instead of installing the cooler in the rear of the car like many have, how about installing a second engine cooler in front, above the original one, pump the fluid to the front of the car and back, no fan needed or anything. I have a Tilton pump that they swear can pull room temp 90 weight fluid straight up 12 feet without a problem. I explained what I wanted to do and they said the pump could handle that without a problem.

What do you guys think?

Hey Brian, did you do this without taking the diff out of the vehicle?
    Terry,
    I considered doing what you suggested also to my 95 and 01. My concern was with putting more coolers up front that I may be choking off air to the radiator. When I get the pics from my 01 install, I think alot of you guys are gona like that setup. It is totally outside the car, looks good, and doesn't need a fan.

Yes, I left the driveshaft and half shafts connected but otherwise unbolted the diff. You could then drop it down enough to get the cover off and do the drilling off the car. I did do the one suction line hole in the housing it's self with the diff in the car, but with the cover off it was no big deal. Drilled the hole and tapped it with 3/8" NPT.

Andy,
    My diff runs in the 210-230 degree range at Road America with the cooler running on a 65-70 degree day. SVT told me they get concerned when the diff gets to 260 or above. So as you can see, with the cooler on there us still a little margin, but if the ambiant temp got above 90 I would sure be keeping my eye on the guage. At Mid-America in May, the diff wouldn't even get to 170 degrees with outside temps in the 80's, so the type of track makes a difference also.
    I burned a diff up at Hallet this year in my 01 from not having a cooler, so the need is deffiantely there.

Brian

Just so you know. I have my 00 wired up with two temperature senders. One type is just a open/closed type that closes at around 180 degrees and opens at 160. That way if I forget to turn the manual switch on, the cooler will come on by it's self if need be. The other sender is for the temp guage.
    Last edited by Cobra-R; 01-15-2003 at 08:38 AM.

Where can I get the on off sensor Brian is refering too. Those are the exact temps I want to use.

Where can I get the on off sensor Brian is refering too. Those are the exact temps I want to use.
    I can't remember where I got it for sure, I want to say Jegs or racesearch.com or a place like that.

Brian

You guys looking for the cooler parts:

The pump
    http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/mocal1.htm

cooler:
    http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/cooler1.htm

$200 plus the lines and wiring and you are all set.

Brian

Ok, Here a the pics I promised.

Originally posted by Cobra-R
    You guys looking for the cooler parts:

The pump
    http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/mocal1.htm

cooler:
    http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/cooler1.htm

$200 plus the lines and wiring and you are all set.

Brian
    Man, I feel like such an idiot for buying the Kenny Brown cooler... boy, did I get screwed on that one!!! I paid $1700.00 plus install!!

Originally posted by Andy M
    Man, I feel like such an idiot for buying the Kenny Brown cooler... boy, did I get screwed on that one!!! I paid $1700.00 plus install!!
    The price of being a pioneer, I guess. Oh well, we can all be idiots together, Andy.

Andy don't feel bad. Think of how much a new rear end costs! It's good insurance!

But I do hear ya! Shelling out cash hurts. I'm doing lots of it getting ready for tracking next year

Hey Brian, When you killed the rear end in your 01, did you upgrade it with the better axlews and a torsen. I sold my 95 R so my 00R will be my Track car I jacked it up today to start planning the cooler and am trying to talk myself into the upgrade of the torsen and better axles like Joe Johnson did.

Hey Brian, When you killed the rear end in your 01, did you upgrade it with the better axlews and a torsen. I sold my 95 R so my 00R will be my Track car I jacked it up today to start planning the cooler and am trying to talk myself into the upgrade of the torsen and better axles like Joe Johnson did.
    Terry,

If/when my diff starts to give me problems, I plan on doing the Torsen T2R upgrade with the new halfshafts also. Joe has been having great results with this combo so far.

A cooler is a MUST if you plan on doing open track though!

Terry,
    No, i didn't upgrade it at all. The company that did the work is owned by a friend of mine, he checked everything over personally and said it all looked good. We replaced the bearings and seals. Luckily when the rear end went Dean and Kevin were behind me and let me know it was smoking before more damage was done.

I will keep it as is untill I see a need for an upgrade.

Brian

Terry,

If/when my diff starts to give me problems, I plan on doing the Torsen T2R upgrade with the new halfshafts also. Joe has been having great results with this combo so far.

A cooler is a MUST if you plan on doing open track though!
    i have a torsen on order for mine. it's a 4 week back order right now. the half shafts joe has are currently unavailable. there seems to be a dispute between them and ford. therefore the company can't make or sell them. i'm on the list when they do tho.

Thanks for the info Kevin! Does anyone know if the upgraded axles would be the same as the 03 Cobra axles? Or does the 03 Cobra have that stupid Gerodisc diff as well. I heard the 03 Cobras had stronger axles than the 00R.

Terry,

I was told that the 03 Cobra axles would work on the Cobra R if you have the Torsen T-2R. They are also of equal lengths. I cut the boot on the driver side rear CV joint during a track event and the CV joint started throwing out the grease. I put a universal boot on it but I noticed last Thursday I was loosing grease again.
    I have bought two new axles and CV joints from Ford (03 Cobra axles) but I have not installed them yet. It is a shame I have to buy new axles just to repair a broken CV boot. Hope Ford and GKN can get their problems solved soon.
    Joe Johnson
    2012 Boss 302S (Ser #003)
    2000 Cobra R #466 (162 of 300)
    2013 Boss302 Laguna Seca LS-057
    2012 Ford F-150 w/ Eco Boost and towing package
    2013 Ford Fusion - Wife's car

Joe thanks for the info. Let me know when you get a look at both to see if both axles look like they are the same strength.

I guess if the boot is the same and they are both 31 spline they should be the same strength.

How are the 03 Cobra axles retained, internal clip? . are the GKN axles retained the same way? How much were the Ford Axles?

Joe , Thanks for the info

Page 1 of 22 12345 11 ... LastLast