Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rookie SVT Poster

car shakes at 50-60 mph

i have an 03 cobra convertible that starts to shake,body and steering wheel,at about 50 -60 mph and then gets better as you go faster.i have force balanced the tires and checked for susp. looseness.grabbing frt wheels and checking for any movement.would a wheel bearing possibly cause this.it is very strange.seems more severe at times and mild at others.i'm confused.the car had been hit in the left front by the previous owner.but all was repaired including a new wheel and l/frt wheel bearing.any ideas?thanks i'm a new guy.

Steers With the Throttle ShelbyGuy's Avatar
    Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and living in a van, down by the river
    yup could be a wheel bearing

mustangs eat front wheel bearings like candy

irs mustangs eat all four wheel bearings like candy
    you may have horsepower, but i have schnauzer power

Rookie SVT Poster
    any idea how much frt wheel bearings are.what is the torque spec. for the frt hub bolt.thanks

Rookie SVT Poster
    nobody else have a simular problem?

Like Shleby guy said, it could be the wheel bearings. Check to make sure the bolt is tight.

Btw, what color is your Cobra? I am in Newark almost every week, I live close by. I may have seen you around. What color is/was your SRT 4?
    2003 Cobra
    455 rwhp 470 rwtq
    185,000+ Miles

Rookie SVT Poster
    my srt4 was red,sold.my 03 cobra conv. is dsg,black top.i'll keep an eye out for you in newark.very nice car.saleen wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by sabredog
    my srt4 was red,sold.my 03 cobra conv. is dsg,black top.i'll keep an eye out for you in newark.very nice car.saleen wheels?
    You had to of seen me before in the area. I am usually with some Mach 1's, red, blue, and white.

Saleen replica's, 18x9 all around.

Let me know if you have any questions about these cars, I've been hanging around this site for awhile, so I should be able to help you out or atleast point you in the right direction.

Rookie SVT Poster
    do you know the torque spec. for the frt wheel bearing hub bolt.i may replace them and i'd like to know if running them down with a 1/2" impact is ok.

ShelbyGuy probably knows. I do not.

Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and living in a van, down by the river
    its never ok to impact a bearing on (unless you're working on commercial/industrial vehicles and they use some bigass torque wrenches too)

240 lb/ft

Rookie SVT Poster
    thanks shelby guy!

Toro 66
    I am having the same problem. My steering wheel shakes pretty bad at about 45-50 miles per hour. I gues I'll just take it back into the dealer and let them worry about it. I'll tell them to make sure they check the wheel bearings. Thanks
    Black 03 10th Anniversary Convertible
    Steeda CAI
    Borla Stinger
    MGW Shifter - Orange Handle

SOLD to Ryan. 08/5/06

Rookie SVT Poster
    well ,i replaced the wheel bearings and torqued to 240 ft.lbs.,the car still intermittently shakes .seems to do it from 50-60 mph.it's not the tires.they have been force balanced and rotated.possible p.s. rack?shelby guy, any other insight?car is very smooth at all other speeds.thanks

well, if you dont have c/c plates, there's the big rubber knobber thingy that is the upper strut mount. mine were pretty worn out and made a groan/clunk on slow turns.

rack bushings too, maybe

honestly though the evidence points to tires. that you had them balanced doesnt mean all that much as a bent wheel will balance if you add enough weight to it. it'll still go thump thump thump down the road though.

if these are goodyear eagle f1 tires, throw them away.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyGuy
    there's the big rubber knobber thingy that is the upper strut mount. mine were pretty worn out and made a groan/clunk on slow turns.
    My car makes those noises. Do you know where can I find replacement upper strut mounts? Are they hard to install?

Thanks.

Brakes only slow you down TroyV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyGuy
    if these are goodyear eagle f1 tires, throw them away.
    Amen. This is sage advice... F1's are the worst balancing-est, uneven wearing-est, no pressure holding-est tires EVER!
    Troy Velazquez - NE-SVT
    www.ne-svt.org
    www.comscc.org
    #68 ST4

Toro 66
    Well mine is going into the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at. I am hoping they are of some help. I know it is not the tires being balanced. The tires have been changed and balanced (BFG COMPs). My suspension is not modified and I have 17000 miles on the car. It has been doing it since I first got it. I brought it into them shortly after I bought it - brand new - and they said it was tire balance and was not covered under warranty. They wanted to charge me 100 bucks to balance the tires. I told them no thanks and then had them balanced at goodyear. Didn't fix the problem. I just never got back around to bringing it back into them until now. If they try and give me the "it's a balancing problem" again crap I am gonna be pretty peeved.

Rookie SVT Poster
    i replaced the 2 frt tires with bfg kdws in the stock size.i've done a rim runout test on all 4 wheels.they are ok.a driveshaft wouldn't act like that would it.if it started to viberate it would continueas speed increases,correct?

Rookie SVT Poster
    toro1966,if the dealer fixes your vibe.please post the results for me.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sabredog
    i replaced the 2 frt tires with bfg kdws in the stock size.i've done a rim runout test on all 4 wheels.they are ok.a driveshaft wouldn't act like that would it.if it started to viberate it would continueas speed increases,correct?
    Do you plan to drive in the snow often?

KDW's would have been a better choice imo. The "S" in KDWS stands for snow. KDW is for rain (wet), and KD is a dry tire.

Toro 66
    Absolutely, will do. I am headed in now. I'll let you know this evening.

Toro 66

No fix - it's normal.......BS!!!

Well, I just back from the dealer and needless to say I am pissed!!!!! After having the car all day they finally come up with one of those "its normal" lines. Basically on all of the verts there may be shimmy at "cruising speeds" which they say are 45-65mph. They even showed me the printed out tech bulletin from Ford. Sure enough that is what it says. The only potential way to solve it - says the tech bulletin - is to force ballance the tires. For those of you who don't knwo what that is (I didn't know until today), it is putting them on a special balancing machine that compresses the tire agaisnt simulated asphalt while the tire is being balanced. This measures the high and low spots of the tire and then the tire is dismounted and physically turned on the rim to make it right. They don't say it will fix the problem ,only that it COULD fix the problem. It costs almost 200 bucks to have that done and guess what...it's not covered under warranty!! So needless to say I am very pissed off. I am not paying 200, non-refundable bucks, for something that might fix a problem. No more Ford's for me, I am done!

That sux.. for what's it's worth, my car rode perfect until a few weeks back when I had a nail patched in my front-drivers side tire. The shop also took it upon themselves to rotate my tires.. now around 45mph, I have a little shake in my steering wheel. I haven't gone back yet, but I'm fairly certain having the tires rebalanced again will solve the issue, as it has worked on other cars I've owned. I suggest you do that also -the regular ol' balancing routine-, and maybe even rotate the the back tires to the front. There is the potential that a wheel allignment could be needed, but I believe this really is a balancing issue.
    Last edited by todd4566; 06-15-2006 at 06:49 PM.
    2008 Lexus ISF

2009 Lexus IS350 *SOLD*
    Previous Stang's:
    03' DSG Mach 1
    00' Laser Red Mustang GT
    89' Dark Blue Mustang GT (9psi Kenne Bell powa'!)
    89' Black Mustang LX (2.3L)

Toro 66
    Yeah,
    I am taking it in to have it aligned on Saturday morning. Then I am going to have the tires rebalanced next week and rotated. I got them at Costco so they do them for free. What pisses me off the most is that they must have had some yahoo driving the car because now I have the shake when I hit the brakes. I KNOW that is rotor warp, what pisses me off is that it wasn't there when I brought it in!! So that's another project to tack this weekend! I am not even bringing it anywhere near that shop again!

Rookie SVT Poster
    toro that really sucks.it's normal to have a viberation on a convertible.what kind of service bulletin is that.i work at a honda dealer and we could never get away with that.our total satisfaction index would be in the toilet.i used our force balancing machine twice on my car and it did not help.it found 2 bad tires, i replaced them, force balanced them and still have that frickin' vibe.maybe someone else on the forum has had better luck with this problem.they made enough verts that maybe someone knows something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast