Premium Member

Replacing Convertible Top - Cost?

Has anybody replaced their top on their convertible? How much did it cost (just labor)?

My brother just bought a convertible with a tan top and wants it changed to black. Granted its a Trans Am but i figured a vert was a vert when it comes to cost of replacement.

Thanks for any input,
    -Mike

I could only find 1 place to do mine 4-5 yrs ago , it was 1000.00 total. I think you can get a video when you purchase a kit to do it yourself. I didn`t like the idea of trimming on the top. Be sure to get the glass rear window, the plastic one sucks!!!!!
    93 Cobra Blk/gray int # 3503
    03 redfire # 6129 3/19/03 Sold
    87 Gt Vert Blk

Premium Member
    Thanks for the input, i will keep that in mind.

I think there are kits available that you can reuse your current rear window. I just dont know if the GM cars come with a glass or plastic rear window. I'll have to have him look.

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082 PonyFever's Avatar
    When I bought my daughter's '98 GT 'vert in February, one of the first things I had to do was replace the top (tears and leaking window). It's the same top that fits our Cobras. Total for the vinyl replacement was ~$1400 including labor. For the fabric top like ours it was ~$1800.

Premium Member
    ouch, that sure is steep. If it costs that much it may just have to wait. It was just a cosmetic thing anyway.
    Last edited by Mike K; 08-20-2006 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K
    ouch, that sure is steep. If it costs that much it may just have to wait. It was just a cosmetic thing anyway.

You should consult a mustang tuner. They typically will also do this type of stuff. I know mine does and only charges about $600 to get it done.

By the way, there are a lot of Delaware 03/04 guys that come down to Crazy Horse Racing in South Amboy, NJ to get work done on their car. Granted its typically tuning related but Chris Winter is a good guy and would take care of you.

I paid $1200 for my '96 to be converted over to the 03/04 fabric top. I was told it would not have cost that much if they could have used my old glass. I wouldn't think that you would have to pay over $800.

2011 Roush Stage 2, JLT w/ Evo/Lund Tune

I just finished going through this with mine. The real expense is the rear glass and the installation. Call around and talk to some shops. I think I talked to maybe 10 shops before I actually picked one. The prices are all over the place too. This was just the installation cost, but one shop was $200 and another was $600. I'd suggest pulling out the yellow pages, go through "auto upholstery," and call around and see what they say.

Premium Member
    BreBar,
    Thats what i planned on doing. There are a few shops that i know of in Dover that i plan on calling. I also have a friend that works at a GM dealer I want to talk to, maybe he can get one of the body guys to do it on the side for less money (but more going in his pocket).

Erick,
    We should be able to use his rear glass, we just want to change the color.

Thanks for all the input.

SVT God
    http://www.dallasmustang.com/page/pr...?product=10016

$189.00

Kinda got ripped on the labor!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PonyFever
    When I bought my daughter's '98 GT 'vert in February, one of the first things I had to do was replace the top (tears and leaking window). It's the same top that fits our Cobras. Total for the vinyl replacement was ~$1400 including labor. For the fabric top like ours it was ~$1800.

I remember having a vynil top replaced (due to vandalism) for about $600-700. I'm not sure how much more the cloth one would cost. The dealer wanted more along what was quoted above, but there are shops that the insurance company recommended that will do it for $700 or less.

AKA: CHIP

Magnaflow Catback & Catted X-Pipe - K&N FIPK II CAI with Amsoil Filter - MM FLSFC - MGW Shifter - BilletFlow IRS Brace