Results 1 to 25 of 62
Thread: List of "free" and "cheap" mods
11-05-2006, 01:07 AM #1
List of "free" and "cheap" mods
2003-2004 SVT COBRA MODS UNDER $100
I have included links when possible...please let me know if any of these links become un-available or broken.
03'-04' Cobra Facts and other Late-Model Information:
1) Cobra Bob's Cobra Facts Page Terminator FAQs
2) 03'-04 Cobra Bang-for-your-Bite '03-'04 Mustang Cobra Performance Test - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
3) 2003 Cobra TSB List http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/P...g_TSB_List.pdf
4) Late-Model Bang-for-the-Buck 101 Catch 22--Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine
5) Late-Model Mustang Suspension 101 Late Model Mustang Suspension Basics
6) Nitrous Tuning 101 Basic Nitrous Tuning(101) -- Muscle Mustang & Fast Fords
7) Supercharging 101 All About Superchargers
8) Chassis Dynos 101 Chassis Dynamometers - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
Cheap and Friendly Mustang Vendors:
1) Lethal Performance Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
2) SVTP Market Place The Market - SVTPerformance
3) Tousley Ford Tousley Ford: Full line Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Ford Racing Distributors. - SVTPerformance
4) Steeda Autosports Steeda Autosports | Ford Mustang Suspension | Ford Mustang Performance | Ford Mustang Tuning | Ford Mustang Cold Air Intakes
5) Racer's Edge Tuning Racers Edge Tuning :: Southern California's Finest Mustang Shop
Cheap or Free "How-To" Threads:
1) Remove or Redistribute Weight IronTerp's http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...specifics.html
2) Hood Mod (Original) Vent Modification - SVTPerformance
3) Boost By-pass Mod * 03-04 Mustang Cobra ZERO Dollar Boost Bypass How To *
*Please note: Most Cobra tuners address "Boost By-pass" in their tunes. Therefore this mod is for "un-tuned" Cobras only!!!*
4) Oil Seperator Mod Make your own Oil Seperator for $21 - SVTPerformance
5) Snorkle Mod (Intake Silencer Delete) Mustangworld How-To's INDEX
6) Drilled T-Stat Mod http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...hermo-pic.html
7) PPRV Delete Mod http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...step-step.html
8) Gas Pedal Slack Mod Mustangworld - 99 - 00 Gas Pedal Adjustment tip
9) Boxed In Radiator Mod http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ml#post7670730
10) Hood Vents Mod http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ents-heat.html
11) Cut Springs Mod http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...t-springs.html
12) Adjust Clutch Cable Mod (FOR COBRAS WITH THE STOCK OEM QUADRANT) http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...tch-cable.html
13) Stuck Throttle Mod (HOW TO PREVENT) Solution To Stuck Throttle-cobra's - SVTPerformance
14) Shorty Antenna Mod Mustangworld - Cutting your Factory Antenna
15) Wiper Delete Mod http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...s-not-upr.html
16) Notched Tensioner Mod http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...pics-info.html
17) Clutch Pedal Stop Mod Stop, Thief! -- Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords
18) Coolant Sensor Relocation Mod Coolant Temp Sensor
19) Wiper Lowering Mod Mustangworld - Moving the wiper arms down
20) Cobra Grill Emblem Mod http://www.corral.net/tech/exterior/...rt/insert.html
21) Steering Rack Bushing Install bushings
22) IRS Bushing Install IRS Subframe Bushings
23) Clutch Pedal Height Adjuster Install http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=69555
25) Eaton Home Porting http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...s-numbers.html
26) Custom Hood Vents http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ood-vents.html
Trick Parts Under $100:
1) Clutch Pedal Height Adjuster Steeda Adjustable Pedal Stop - '94-'04 Ford Mustang
2) Shifter Isolater Kit Steeda Shift Isolator Kit - 79-04 Ford Mustang
3) Coin Holder Delete Steeda Billet Coin Holder Delete - '07-'09 Ford Mustang - '07-'09 Ford Mustang
4) Jacking Plates Steeda Hardcore Jacking Plates - Ford Mustang
5) Clutch Quadrant Spacers Steeda Clutch Quadrant Spacer - '79-'04 Ford Mustang
6) Aftermarket Clutch Quadrants Steeda Quick Release Clutch Quadrant - '82-'04 Ford Mustang
7) Wheel Spacer 1" 5 Lug 6061 Billet Wheel Spacers - Set of 2 - '79-'09 Ford Mustang
8) Brembo Quick Release Pins Steeda Quick Release Brake Pins - '94-'01 Ford Mustang
9) Stainless Steel brake Lines Stainless Steel Brake Lines - '87-'04 Ford Mustang
10) Rear Shock Tower Brace Steeda Rear Shock Tower Brace - '79-'04 Ford Mustang
11) Lower Chassis Brace Steeda G-trac Bar - '79-'04 Ford Mustang
12) Drivehaft Safety Loop Ford Racing Driveshaft Loops - 79-09 Ford Mustang
13) Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Magnetic Drain Plugs - '79-'09 Ford Mustang
14) IAT Sensor Relocator IAT Sensor Relocation Pigtail - Ford Mustang
15) Steering Rack Bushings Steeda Aluminum Rack Bushings - '85-'04 Ford Mustang
16) IRS Subframe Bolt & Bushing Kit Cobra Rear Subframe Bushings - '99-'04 Ford Mustang
17) Shifter Handle Mustang Shift Handle
18) Brake Ducts Brake cooling ducts - SVTPerformance
19) Water Temperature Sender Another part from Midcontinent Mustangs... - SVTPerformance
20) Bushings Upgrade http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...steer-kit.html
21) Low Profile IRS Bolts Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension
22) Cobra Bob's T-56 Shifter Gasket Set http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...a-shifter.html
23) Hilton's Boost Overlay Kit Hilton Boost Overlay
24) Gary Loat's Custom ID Plates Terminator ID Tags
25) LDC Freeplay Mod LDC Chicago Clutch Freeplay Correction Kit [LDC-FREEPLAY] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
26) Budget CAI LFP Deluxe 10'' Powerstack Cold Air Kit 2003-04 Mustang Cobra [LFP-1147] - $89.00 : Lightning Force Performance
27) IRS Support Brackets BilletFlow 99-04 Cobra IRS Subframe Support Brackets [BF-IRSBRACKETS] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
28) EGR Delete Kit EGR Delete Kit [LP-EGRDELETE] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
Tune Up Tricks and Maintenance:
1) Tire Pressure Tire Tech Information - Checking Tire Inflation Pressure
2) Wheel Detail (Wheel Paint Stripper Mod) Stang2WRX - OEM Chrome Wheel Mod - SVTPerformance
4) Suede Seat Cleaning Instructions http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/P...a%20Fabric.pdf
5) Blower Belt Specs Belt Selection Guide
6) Tranny Flush DEXRON III (4.1 QUARTS) Terminator FAQs
7) Coolant Flush http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...flush-how.html
8) Intercooler Cleaning Intercoolor Cleaning - A How-To... - F150online Forums
9) Blower Oil Change http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...teup-pics.html
10) Engine Oil 5W-20, 10W-30 (6.0 quarts) Terminator FAQs
11) Diff Fluid 75W-140 Synthetic (2.9 pints) http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ear-fluid.html
12) Brake Fluid DOT 3 (Fill to full line on resevoir) Castrol Synthetic GTLMA is a decent upgrade
13) Power Steering Fluid MERCON ATF (fill to between min and max on resevoir)
14) Battery Ford Motorcraft #BXT-59
15) PCV Valve Ford Motorcraft #EV-153
14) Spark plugs Ford Motorcraft #AGSF-12FM1
15) Fuel Filter Ford Motorcraft #FG-986B, FG-800A Terminator FAQs
16) Oil Filter Ford Motorcraft #FL-820S
17) Air Filter Ford Motorcraft #FA-1632
18) Overflow Tank Cap Stant#11238
19) K&N Drop in Filter Part # E-0945 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter
20) K&N Drop in Filter Install Mustangworld 4.6L Performance Air Filter Install
Racing and Track Tips:
1) Getting Started (Drag Racing) The Path to Drag Racing Righteousness: drag racing
2) Rear Tire Pressure How to Check Tire Pressure Before Drag Race | eHow.com
3) Ice your Intake Ford Mustang LX Underhood Ice Intake Manifold Photo
4) Ice your I/C Tank Intercooler Theory
5) Front Swaybar Removal Ford Mustang GT Side Sway Bar Photo
6) High Octane Fuel Racing and Trackday Fuels - Trackpedia
1) Stock 180*
2) Drilled 180* http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...hermo-pic.html
3) Stant 180* STANT Part # 14138
4) Reische 170* Reische 6Performance Products Reische vs. Stock Performance Reische vs. Drilled http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...pressions.html
5) Thermostat O-Ring Gasket Fel-Pro#35489
Coolant and Coolant Additive Options:
1) Water-Wetter Red Line Oil: Coolants and Others
2) 40-Below Cooling Systems
3) Evans NPG Evans Cooling Systems, Inc. High Performance Engine Cooling and Power Production.
4) OEM Coolant Terminator FAQs
Other Popular Installs, Links and Threads:
1) Cobra Head Porting http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...not-worth.html
2) Extrude Honing The Art of Airflow
3) Aluminum Polishing 101 http://www.superstallions.com/tech/carcare/polish.html
4) Cooling your 4.6 with a Fan Controller Cooling the 4.6
5) Understanding the N/A FOX/SN-95 Cooling Systems http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techa...s/hotblues.pdf
6) Manual Fan Swith Mod for 5.0/4.6 Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Cooling and AC systems: Cooling fan manual switch install
7) Heat Exchanger Install Tech - Very detailed photos of GordsFord HE install - SoCalTerminators.com Forums
8) IRS Gear Installation Gear Installation Instructions For 8.8" IRS
9) 99' GT Battery Relocation Yellow Mustang Registry - UPR Battery Box REVIEW
10) Race Ready Radials Tire Testing With Nitto Street and Strip Tires
11) Barely Legal Radials Barely Legal
12) S-197 Brake Ducts http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ally-done.html
13) What's wrong with my clutch??? How to Diagnose Your Own Clutch System Problems - Classic Trucks Magazine
14) Cobra T-56 to 4R70W Swap http://www.modularfords.com/2008/08/...mustang-cobra/
15) Boost-a-Pump Theory http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...heory_kens.pdf
16) BAP Installation http://www.competitionspeedandsound....structions.pdf
17) My Dream Cobra Cobra Specs
Breaking Down an Eaton [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lu6n5qBE2s"]YouTube - Breaking down an Eaton Blower[/ame]
Horse Power TV tunes a Terminator [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Wdj-eEHk0"]YouTube - HP TV runs a 03 cobra[/ame]
Last edited by SCT2003; 04-30-2009 at 03:17 AM.*The Ultimate List of "Free" and "Cheap" Mods*: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...heap-mods.html
2012 3.7 Mustang, 1986 LX NOTCH(NEW PROJECT), 2007 V8 Sport Trac Limited(MOSTLY STOCK DD)
2003 SONIC BLUE SVT COBRA (GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN), 1989 5.0 GT/LX VERT w/347 Stroker(SOLD), 1988 5.0 GT VERT w/bolt ons(SOLD), 1988 5.0 LX HATCH w/K&N(SOLD), 1987 5.0 LX NOTCH w/bolt ons(SOLD), 1985 5.0 GT HATCH w/K&N(SOLD)
11-05-2006, 12:04 PM #2
conragts on the car! i got my 03 sonic coupe about three months ago, and have loved every day of it.
here is one kick ass place to sit back and read, there are some cheap mods in there, and some just good info in general.
11-05-2006, 02:52 PM #3Originally Posted by AzSonicSnake
Congrats to you as well!!!
11-05-2006, 04:20 PM #4
11-07-2006, 07:40 PM #5
Speaking of "free" and or "cheap" mods...has anybody replaced their engine/intercooler coolant with one of those "extreme" type antifreezes. I forgot the brand names but their basically like Redline's "Water Wetter" but instead of being just an additive...it replaces your coolant completely and drops the temps by 10-20 degrees.
I'm due for a coolant change and was wondering what you guys have done with your Cobras???
11-11-2006, 10:25 PM #6
It's called "40 below" and on the back of the can it says you should mix it with distilled water. The mix will completly replace your antifreeze and supposedly bring temperatures down a honest to goodness 40 degrees!!!
A 30 ounce can of this stuff goes for approx. $25 bucks, much more expensive than a $8 bottle of the "Water Wetter" additive!!!
Anybody try this stuff yet??? I'm thinking about using on the intercooler coolant first...what do you guys think???
Last edited by SCT2003; 01-06-2009 at 05:48 PM.
11-15-2006, 12:46 PM #7
you can mix water wetter with nothing but distilled water too.
I am running water wetter in both my IC fluid and radiator now that I have the whipple on.2013 boss 302
2013 exploder sport
2011 F150 ecoboost platinum
11-16-2006, 06:31 PM #8
i have the water wetter in my i/c, and i noticed a slight improvement. but then again, i added the lfp ice box at the same time. both of which i would highly recommend if you ever race your car, or just get down on it alot.
11-17-2006, 02:45 AM #9
I am running 40 below and have been running it for over a month now...no problems here and it tends to run cooler. It is in both cooling systems.
11-23-2006, 01:26 PM #10
Lets keep the mods under $100 bucks...
Anything else guys???
Last edited by SCT2003; 09-05-2007 at 08:27 PM.
11-28-2006, 11:47 PM #11
well you gotta explain what number 6, 8 and 9 are
11-29-2006, 11:13 PM #12Originally Posted by hazmat404
#8-The Boost Bypass Mod:
#9-The Oil Seperator Mod:
Oh yeah...and don't forget Cobra Bob's Web site:
If this doesn't help...try using the search function for more info!!!
Last edited by SCT2003; 01-06-2009 at 05:56 PM.
11-29-2006, 11:29 PM #13
Great thread. How many have done the boost bypass mod???
"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it." - Me
2003 Torch Red Mustang Cobra Convertible Terminator # 476 out of 5,082
1995 Red Mustang GT Convertible
1993 Cobra Mustang #1050 out of 4,993
2001 Red Lightning #2690 out of 6,381
2004 Red ZX5 SVT #132 out of 1079
12-06-2006, 11:52 AM #14
- Join Date
- May 2005
- Chicago, IL
Yeah im curious if anyone has done that either... results? problems?2002 True Blue GT - O/R prochamber and hopefully more to come.
12-10-2006, 05:21 PM #15
- Join Date
- June 2005
hey i saw on that site about cleaning the grey paint that ford put on our rims with aircraft remover.... anyone done this before??? it almost seems to easy to be true
12-10-2006, 06:05 PM #16
check out my thread two down from this on the complete 'how-to' thread, the link you're looking for is in that threadCURRENT CARS::
2014 SVT raptor super crew
2013 nissan GTR
2009 corvette z-06
1985 t-top GT: mild h/c/i
12-10-2006, 06:06 PM #17Originally Posted by firecobra04
12-27-2006, 03:49 PM #18
I read that it wasn't a good idea to change the vac lines to do the boost bypass mod.
01-10-2007, 11:40 AM #19
- Join Date
- February 2006
- Rhode Island
bump2003 Cobra Convertible. Redfire and tan
K&N FIPK, C&L PIPE, ACCUFAB T.B WITH SPACER, MGW SHIFTER,FULL BASSANI EXHAUST, LPF DUAL PASS, AFS 18" CHROME, MOTO BLUE IDLERS, 2.95 PULLEY, MOTO BLUE GIRDLE, 4:10 GEARS, 5% TINT, POLY BUSHINGS, CUSTOM TUNE BY LaFERRIERE RACING IN JOHNSTON, RI (THE BEST)
452.06 H.P. 456.29 TQ. SAE CORRECTED.
VERY CONCERVATIVE TUNE, VERY!!
01-17-2007, 12:48 PM #20
- Join Date
- April 2005
- Old Bridge
The shorty antenna mod is nice. Worked for me..
Put a piece of tape on the ball (Cause when u pop it off, u won't lose it). Take needle-nose plyers and put it under the ball, and take a hammer and hit the plyers, the ball will fly off. Cut antenna to desired length. Super glue ball back on, and ur good to go. I would do this while the antenna is off the car, and I used a black sharpie to color some of the chips on the ball from when i took it off. Ya can't even tell it is a ghetto modProud Member of MACA
2003 Cobra Convertible - #749 of 5082 SOLD
2007 Shelby GT500 Convertible - #1239 of 2695 SOLD
2004 Cobra Coupe - #247 of 3768
01-17-2007, 04:09 PM #21
- Join Date
- November 2006
Free mod: lower windshield wipers a couple notches, its a much cleaner look especially from the inside of the car.
Cheap mod: replace wiper blades with Bosch Icons (part# 420A and 420B), they are much cleaner looking that stock.
01-17-2007, 05:51 PM #22
i did the boost bypass when i first bought it in july; it works and i have not had any problems so far and i have put 10k miles on her since.
01-17-2007, 07:21 PM #23Originally Posted by cuban
09-05-2007, 07:38 PM #24
Do you want less fade from your stock, BBK or race brakes???
...but you don't want to spend the $150+ that the usual vendors charge for cooling ducts!!!
Check out this thread...Anthony from Midcontinent Mustangs makes a great product and has excellent customer service...oh and yeah...the complete cooling brake duct kit he sells is only $60!!!
One of the best mods for under $100...hands down!!!
09-05-2007, 07:58 PM #25
Another cool and cheap mod courtesy of Midcontinent Mustangs...for those of you who want to easily install a more accurate or additional water temperature gauge!!!