Thread: Exhaust Drone

Exhaust Drone

Just installed the Magnaflow Catback with 3" pipes and have a ear drum hurting drone when pulling a hill at about 1700-1900 RPM. Is there any solution to this. Will a high flow x-pipe fix this or long tubes with x-pipe. Will this get better as they break in or is there anything that can be done.
    Thanks
    2003 Mustang Cobra DSG Coupe
    #5878 of 8394 -- Build Date 3/10/03
    Magnaflow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow Catback, MGW Shifter W/ Gold Handle, Cobra Bob's Shifter Gasket, JLT CAI Painted Silver W/ DSG Flames, Raptor Shift Light Black W/ Green LED, Mile Hi Predator Tuned, Evolution Motorsports Subframe Connectors W/ Front Triangle Brace,X-Brace, & Driveshaft Loop, 18% Window Tint, Drag Radials, BilletFlow Clear 2.76 Upper W 4 Piece Idlers, Gates Belt, Boost Overlay, NGK TR6's, CDC Sequential Taillights

Dynoed @ 441RWHP & 462 RWTQ SAE
    11.72 @118.36 with 1.80 60'

Wrong exhaust for the car. You should have installed one tuned for the GT500 and not just a GT.

Downshift!

sounds like some kind of resonance or exhaust signals bouncing off each other. I would try an x-pipe, it may smooth everything out.
    found this on this page
    http://www.bimmerperformancestore.com/exhaustdrone.html

Drone in the exhaust is due to the engine driving the exhaust system at its resonant frequency. You can't get rid of it, any length of pipe has a natural frequency, but you can change the frequency (RPM) it happens at. Stock exhaust systems are tuned to put the resonant frequencies outside the normal RPM range the engine is run in. Sometimes they add resonators for this purpose.

To raise the resonant frequency of a system, shorten its length. To do this, you can try tail pipes that exit by the wheel (like GN's have), or you can try a muffler with a shorter internal flow path. If you have a true dual system, you can change the natural frequency of the system dramatically by adding a balance tube. If you can't shorten the system, then you can add slightly less than one wavelength of pipe. This will also raise the resonant frequency of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne
    Wrong exhaust for the car. You should have installed one tuned for the GT500 and not just a GT.
    According to Magnaflow this system is for the GT500. Granted all the catbacks will fit either the GT500 or the GT because the are the same after the cats as one another.

Rookie SVT Poster
    GT500 has an x-pipe. Ive heard the solution is gears!
    2007 Shelby GT500. Torch Red with white Leman stripes
    2004 Sonic Blue ZX5 SVT Focus.

Wonder if the Magnaflow (axlebacks only) will drone. I really like these but dont wont droooooooone.

If the Magnaflow's drone, they were neither tuned nor designed for the GT500. There is a big difference between FIT and Designed for.

There are properly designed kits for the GT500 now that do not drone. Sound quality is a matter of preference. As the GT500 already has an X, adding one will not help. Headers will change the natural frequency also.

The GT500 is different from the GT in tuning and flow.

Crazy SVT Poster
    I have an 05 GT with a droning Borla S-Type exhaust, got the FRPP XPipe and it just increased the volume of the drone! hehe

I don't mind it, but sometimes it can be unbearable....
    I just downshift and drive around the drone...

Quote Originally Posted by wildosvt04
    GT500 has an x-pipe. Ive heard the solution is gears!

My 3.73's solved the problem at those speeds.

bj

A drone to me signifies cheap and childish. My 95 GT with flows droned bad, but my Cobra with flows does not drone at all. I think it is because I also have an X pipe on my cobra and it sounds amazing.
    If you replace the stock X on the GT500 it could still change the sound because the stock cats choke most of the sound and not all X's are the same in shape or design!
    2011 Mustang GT Premium- Black Exterior/Black & Saddle Interior, 6 Speed Manual.

2007 Shelby GT500- (SOLD)

99 cobra (SOLD) ~ black/black ~ #1245 of 4040

Might this and might that. Why spend money to fix a poorly designed aftermarket part. The correct parts exist from several vendors that sound incredible and perform great.

Dump the magnaflows and get something designed for the application rather than a band-aid.

Insane SVT Poster
    Corsa = no drone...
    BAPracing.com

"money does not buy privilege:
    "the Internet makes Experts out of Idiots"
    "Buy Made In America" Please!
    "the nut and bolt mentally will take you so far"

Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy
    Corsa = no drone...
    As well SLP and others.