Question Aluminum Flywheel resurfaced? I am told "no way"

I have read on this forum that the Terminator flywheel can be resurfaced at least once before having to be replaced. However, I am now in the middle of my first clutch job, and two local machine/clutch shops said, upon physically inspecting my flywheel, "Resurface aluminum? No way." I then went to the local Ford dealer and spoke to the service manager. I asked him what they do in a Terminator clutch job. He conferred with his top tech, and they both agreed: replace only...cannot be resurfaced. So, I have two shops, a service manager, and a tech all saying that the aluminum FW cannot be resurfaced at all. No way.

You'd think I would be satisfied, but I just can't help it. Is there anyone out there who can refute my local experts? Can the aluminum FW indeed be resurfaced or not? If so, how would one go about it, if in my situation? These local shops work on clutches for a living...that's what they do. They don't sell Mustang parts, so they're not in it to try to upsell me a new FW. One of them actually referred me to Ford for the replacement part. So if they say no resurfacing, then it's mighty hard to dismiss them. But their advice just doesn't jive with what I hear on the forums.

All thoughts will be appreciated.

CW
    '03 Cobra 'vert
    '06 Z06
    '08 RoushCharged F-150 SCrew

Quote Originally Posted by CWCobra
    However, I am now in the middle of my first clutch job, and two local machine/clutch shops said, upon physically inspecting my flywheel, "Resurface aluminum? No way."
    all aluminum flywheels have a steel insert that is used by the clutch

you don't grind the aluminum, you grind the steel to resurface it...

how could they not see that??
    YOU CAN SAVE LIVES! ....... learn CPR/AED, give blood frequently and register as an organ donor

Race In Peace: Scott Brooks '06, Brent Coogan '09, Mike Tymensky '10, Dan (DANA) Marovich '11

as far as resurfacing stock flywheel, I think as long as it doesn't have too much heat warp to take out, there should be sufficient material to do it one time

Beats me...they picked it up, rubbed it with a rag, noticed the steel insert...then said "sorry...we can't resurface that."

Thet did suggect that if Ford would sell me the insert, they could pop the rivets from the old insert, and replace it with a new insert. Of course, Ford does not sell just the insert (at least that's what Ford tells me). The new FW has an MSRP of $510.00. Pricey!

CW

I've always advocated replacing the stock flywheel with a better one (I did my SPEC alum early in 2003) but I have seen a number of people respond that they had their stock resurfaced and it worked out fine for them

Yes the stock flywheel depending on it's condition can be resurfaced like JB said.

However I also believe that when putting in a new clutch it's a good idea to compliment it with a new flywheel. Why put in a $350-500 clutch kit just to get chatter from an uneven or warped flywheel. It doesn't make sense and you'll be cheating that new clutch you just put in of it lasting.

You're best bet would be to go with the Fidanza Alum flywheel which has a replaceable steel insert. So if you happen to roast the clutch or replace it later on all you need is the $54 replacement friction plate. The Fidanza Flywheel in my opinion is an awesome piece for the money.

We've always got them in stock here at Lethal Performance as we're a proud Warehouse Distributor of Fidanza!!

Give us a call if there's anything we can help you with. Thanks, Jared
    VOTED BEST ONLINE PERFORMANCE SHOP BY THE MEMBERS OF SVTPERFORMANCE.COM!!

LETHAL PERFORMANCE, INC.
    www.lethalperformance.com
    877-2LETHAL
    Whipple Supercharger's Largest US Distributor
    MCLEOD, Spec, Ram, Fidanza, Centerforce Always in Stock!
    Steeda, BMR, MM, UPR, Whiteline -Suspension

I had mine resurfaced recently at a local machine shope for $30.
    It came out great with no issues.

EDIT: Like Jared said, It is a good idea to install a new high quality flywheel with a replaceable insert to make future clutch changes easy and cheaper.

The rule of thumb is that a stocker can be machined once.
    Last edited by Senkak; 03-24-2007 at 09:57 AM.

I had my stock flywheel re-machined for $49, it was explained to me that it is actually a two set up deal, because they have to cut the steel insert, then take a corresponding amount off the aluminum...not everyone is set up to do that. Of course depending on the wear, hot spot depth, warpage...it just may not make sense.

Well, I am sure you guys are right. I guess us dumb Tennessee hillbillies just aren't smart enough to figure out how to resurface it...I can't believe they would turn away business as being "not possible" when it's so obviously possible to do.

Sounds like Fidanza is the way to go.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by HASFANGS
    I had my stock flywheel re-machined for $49, it was explained to me that it is actually a two set up deal, because they have to cut the steel insert, then take a corresponding amount off the aluminum...not everyone is set up to do that..
    I'm not sure if that was necessary but maybe that's how it is for stock design since it is not intended to be resurfaced

normally you just use cable adjustment to compensate for the decreased thickness of flywheel (as you do for clutch wear)
    Last edited by JB; 03-24-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JB
    I'm not sure if that was necessary but maybe that's how it is for stock design since it is not intended to be resurfaced

normally you just use cable adjustment to compensate for the decreased thickness of flywheel (as you do for clutch wear)
    I was wondering the same thing...theoretically you could lose holding power...but we are only talking about thousandths of an inch...he recommended making the surfaces the same height as original. Made sense to me, especially if I'm going up in torque.

I had mine resurfaced and it works fine!
    2006 Saleen S281 S/C - Screaming Yellow

on my first clutch job I think that the shop said the fly wheel couldnt be resurfaced and bought a new one. Im not sure how hard the shop looked into it and cant remember if they said they werent sure or that it couldnt be..

Check out this thread, stock flywheel inserts can be replaced for 85.00. I had my flywheel surfaced once already for 30.00.
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=356079

No drill hood struts to fit 1999-2004 Mustangs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121160220169...witem=&vxp=mtr

road race suspension on drag radial 3700lbs race weight
    60' 1.75 1/8 mile 7.25 at 98.5 irwindale

best 1000' 9.86 (m112) best mph 118.8 whipple@17psi
    short shifted from first to second at 4500rpm than wot

1 mile 112 eaton 166mph
    1 mile m122 eaton 173.xx

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CWCobra
    Well, I am sure you guys are right. I guess us dumb Tennessee hillbillies just aren't smart enough to figure out how to resurface it...I can't believe they would turn away business as being "not possible" when it's so obviously possible to do.

Sounds like Fidanza is the way to go.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

CW

Where in TN are you located?

I'm in Chattanooga area: place called Ooltewah...used to be waaaaay out in the country. No more, though. Now we've got red lights, Wal-Mart...even a Cracker Barrell!

CW

Quote Originally Posted by racebronco2
    Check out this thread, stock flywheel inserts can be replaced for 85.00.....http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=356079
    good find!

lolololololololololol VirtualSVT's Avatar
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Senkak
    I had mine resurfaced recently at a local machine shope for $30.
    It came out great with no issues.

EDIT: Like Jared said, It is a good idea to install a new high quality flywheel with a replaceable insert to make future clutch changes easy and cheaper.

The rule of thumb is that a stocker can be machined once.
    What shop? I need my clutch done and I need to get mine redone.

wow...i guess its good i didnt go back to the same big name shop that did my first two clutches. He sold me a new fly wheel each time. The first time he said somethign about the material in the flywheel making it eitehr difficult or impossible to machine. Again I dont remember whether I was told absolutely not possible or just discouraged from having it resurfaced...either way there was some deception there is all this is true.

Now I have the Spec 3+ and aluminum fly wheel installed by someone who came highly recommended on his workmanship and honesty. Can that be resurfaced? Ill call spec to find out but hopefully I wont need to worry about that for a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualSVT
    What shop? I need my clutch done and I need to get mine redone.
    The shop is called Central Florida Machine and Speed. 407-877-2800
    It is near the Ocoee Auto Auction across from Westside Votech.
    They do a lot of machine work for Lamotta.