Page 1 of 12 12345 11 ... LastLast

Anyone making $50k+/year without a college degree?

What do you do? How did you get into it? Do you regret your decision not to go to/finish college?
    -Ryan

2014 Performance Blue Focus ST - Bianca - Current DD
    1997 Black SVT Cobra Coupe (#2264) - Lady Mayday - Current project
    2001 Brilliant Black Audi S4 - Ingrid -Sold
    2002 Black Ebony SVT Lightning (#1657) - Brutis - Sold
    1997 Crystal White SVT Cobra Coupe (#3220) - Zoey - Sold

I do that stupid Crossfit assasyn's Avatar
    I do. I sell fabricating equipment and run the office for the company. Yes and no. There are good things about finishing school, but I see a lot of people that went to college for 4 years or more and don't make that much money.

The problem is a lot of people don't know how to work when they get out of school.
    Follow @lonestarj on Twitter

i will in june... and no i dont regret shit...

I dont make that much money now and i have my degree. I will "top-off" higher then someone w/o a degree though (well at least thats the way it seems in my experience). I've definitely met people that make decent money w/o a degree...but they usually own their own business.
    Current Rides:
    2005 Ranger Edge 4x4 (4.0L with 4.10's) ----- 2001 Yellow Cobra (30k miles) ----- 1998 Mercury Tracer (137k miles)

I am working towards a degree in psychology. I plan to become a drug addiction psychiatrist.

My father on the other hand does not have a college degree. He is a timber harvester. Although by no means a steady income, due to the weather, he averages more than 50k a year. His best I believe was a little over 100k, not including expenses: equipment failures, employees, etc. Not a bad job if you are content working your ass off. He loves it though, which is all that matters. I have always heard "If you love what you do, you will never work another day in your life."

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA RedfireVNM's Avatar
    Im only at $30,000 right now but im only 20 and i dont have an college at all...I work for Granite Construction Company in Santa Barbara...Its a good company and my salary can only get higher
    2003 Redfire Cobra #4294 bulit on Dec. 11, 2002
    BF Hood Vents & SS Black Chrome Bumper Inserts
    JLT Ram Air... Borla Stingers... Driver Mod... Need more mods...

Quote Originally Posted by wals9331
    I dont make that much money now and i have my degree. I will "top-off" higher then someone w/o a degree though (well at least thats the way it seems in my experience). I've definitely met people that make decent money w/o a degree...but they usually own their own business.
    dont bet on it... more people without college degrees run business then people that do... im self taught and just fine with that... sure ill do a computer class here and there... but everything in the computer world i learned came from trial and error and teaching myself not from some school...

seriously i see college as another way of wasting money... screw math, history, science and blah blah blah what am i gonna use it for? NOTHING... you know what they need to do is make programs for jobs and thats it... like you wanna be a cop... heres law enforcement school... no college... or you wana be a doctor? ok heres med school... i think college is nothing more then a party and time waster... its funny cuz im smarter then most of the people i work with... i say let them have their 4 year degrees cuz their still morons with a peice of paper
    Last edited by ViciousJay; 04-04-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Crazy SVT Poster
    I'm making about 45,000 a year at 26 with no degree. I should break 50 next year. I'm a shipping manager/freight coordinator. I worked my way up. It's all a matter of how you relate to your bosses. WORK HARD, but don't blatantly kiss ass. Show autonomy and industriousness to the max, and be as reliable as you can. Dress WELL!!!!

Well, I take that back, I have some college, quite a bit actually. I just don't have an actual degree. HOnestly, yes I do regret not finishing school. That's why i'm going back.

Intelligence and hard work will get you far. Of course a degree helps out alot, but once in the job, nobody cares about that piece of paper, it's all about performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan
    dont bet on it... more people without college degrees run business then people that do... im self taught and just fine with that... sure ill do a computer class here and there... but everything in the computer world i learned came from trial and error and teaching myself not from some school...
    I'm an engineer....ill be just fine

thats ok for you... needless to say with a 2 week course i can start making 100K off the top compard to your 4 years and waiting for promotions

thats ok for you... needless to say with a 2 week course i can start making 100K off the top compard to your 4 years and waiting for promotions
    Says a lot of people...and they make less then me .

College works for some people, and it doesn't for others. I'm kind of torn right now between going to Fire/EMT school and straight to work, or getting back in college and finishing my degree in construction. Technically I don't even need to finish my degree to get my general contractor's license...I just need a year on the job as a foreman and I'll have all the required experience to take the test. And if I'm licensed, then I become a partner in my dad's company, which means over 100K/year. I just don't know if thats what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.

I clear way above that. I work in retail management. If I could do it over again I would have finnished school or even a trade school. I am lucky I make as much as I do with out a degree.

PS I love my job!

cent if i were you id do the EMT/Fire, then while you do that job you could do a side job with time off and make double income

FYI im 3 classes away from getting Degree in Criminal Justice but i figure our system is F*#%ed anyways why bother, im not superman and i cant save everyone so i took a god given talent nd im running with it
    Last edited by ViciousJay; 04-04-2007 at 11:24 AM.

College degree = higher starting salary, better job placement, etc

Its a statisical fact. Of course theres exceptions to every rule. But for every person on here saying they didnt go to college and are making more then they would have if they went...theres another dozen non-college students who are making min-wage at walmart.

Uh yeah x2 plus some on the original question!
    VMP TVS. 2.8 from VMP and a 6lb Combo by Metco - JLT RAI - SCT Big Air 3000 - Dragon T/B - 80lb inj's - Single Modified FPDM - Twin GT pumps -bap- Afco dual pass H/E - LMM Air Bags in rear - High Boost Overlay - Kooks 1 5/8 Lt's - Kooks o/r x-pipe - Borla Catback - Head cooling mod - SCT X-Cal - 5 Gallon IC Resivoir - Fully Built 8.8 Solid Axle - Weld Wheels - 28" Mickey Thompson Stiff Walls - TF Victory Wheels- Posi ported lower intake - Autometer Phantom Boost & Fuel pressure gages-Built 4R70W by FB Performance-Transbrake...

VMP TVS Powered!

742hp through an Auto.

I worked my way up from the bottom. Timely promotions and a little bit of luck had a lot to do with it.

short was never this wide sub92loyill's Avatar

seriously i see college as another way of wasting money... screw math, history, science and blah blah blah what am i gonna use it for? NOTHING... you know what they need to do is make programs for jobs and thats it... like you wanna be a cop... heres law enforcement school... no college... or you wana be a doctor? ok heres med school... i think college is nothing more then a party and time waster... its funny cuz im smarter then most of the people i work with... i say let them have their 4 year degrees cuz their still morons with a peice of paper
    Not to be a d!ck, but this post sounds cocky as hell and is littered with spelling errors. College is doing me just fine, and I'm not wasting my time at all. I take offense to the fact that someone thinks college is ALL about partying, because I work my ass off (and party hard too). And when I graduate - I will do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by svtVillain

Its a statisical fact. Of course theres exceptions to every rule. But for every person on here saying they didnt go to college and are making more then they would have if they went...theres another dozen non-college students who are making min-wage at walmart.
    +1 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by svtVillain

not true at all my good man...i gott a friend that didnt even bother going to college and becuase he has people skills is making 70K+ as a manager at a carwash sniffing HOT MILFS seats

as a matter of cat out of all my friends that have degrees and others that dont the ones that dont make more money... hmmmm go , college is not what it used to be like... now any moron can get in with a f***in pen
    Last edited by ViciousJay; 04-04-2007 at 11:29 AM.

im 27
    last year i made 56k
    this year i should make over 62 if things go as planned and what not...
    (hard to say what the trend will be in retail)
    started on the bottom and have worked my way up... hasnt been easy.. no job security either

brother went to college and graduated.. he got a job starting at 60k .. was promoted twice in teh alst year and now makes 100K + bonus + expense repor
    and job security per his position with his company.

i wish i finished college
    g0t b00st?

Quote Originally Posted by Euphoric One
    a little bit of luck
    Sucking dudes off isn't really considered "a little bit of luck" in my book .

I'm north of $100K/year but it has alot to do with experience. Retired military with 24yrs and currently working as a network engineer for the US goverment. Uncle Sam has been very good to me. Just started my first class toward a degree. The degree is for personal reasons and to ensure i stay competative in the job market.
    2008 SVT/Shelby GT500 Black Coupe #6019 of 6513
    JLT CAI, 2.6 Pulley, MRT catted H-pipe
    FRPP SGT Axle back, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers
    BMR UCA, LCA's and PH bar(adjustable) 5% tint
    Performance 543/575.......TOTALED!

2003 Black SVT Coupe #154 of 8394 (1st 03 in Hawaii)
    Ported blower 2.8, MRT/Borla Exhaust
    500/500......SOLD

And once again i seem to make the lowest amount of money on here....weird...

That is one of the stupidest statements i have ever read. I would like to see some proof that more people without education run businesses than people who do.
    Black '04 cobra

Kenne Bell 2.2, Accufab TB and Plenum, FIPK, Bassani catted X, Borla catback, Head Cooling mod, LFP Heat Exchanger, SCT tune by Terry at Street Lethal Performance

Complete IRS Bushing Kit from AC427COBRA, BF IRS brackets and Brace, FLSFC's, MM adj. tie rod kit, MM aluminum steering rack bushings, Fiore Quadrant and ADJ, MGW Shifter

Page 1 of 12 12345 11 ... LastLast