Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What the H33L is a WRX STI?

Coming home from work tonight, I came up behind a WRX STI, at least thats what was on the rear. Not sure how modded he was, except for the exhaust I considered parking in. But as I went around him, I got on it a little bit, enough to normally pull away from a WRX, and DAMN, he started pulling on me pretty good. I was impressed with his power, We were on a two lane street with no traffic, so we were unable to open it up, but as he pulled on me, I had to open it up a little bit and give him a dose of reality. What HP are these coming with. Fast for a small 4-door. I bet fun to drive also.
    2008 SVT/Shelby GT500 Black Coupe #6019 of 6513
    JLT CAI, 2.6 Pulley, MRT catted H-pipe
    FRPP SGT Axle back, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers
    BMR UCA, LCA's and PH bar(adjustable) 5% tint
    Performance 543/575.......TOTALED!

2003 Black SVT Coupe #154 of 8394 (1st 03 in Hawaii)
    Ported blower 2.8, MRT/Borla Exhaust
    500/500......SOLD

300hp. 300tq. turbo charged 4cyl. awd.

Originally posted by logan_yomtov
    300hp. 300tq. turbo charged 4cyl. awd.
    No wonder. How much does it weigh?

Cheesecake FTW!
    Those things cost almost as much as an '03 Cobra right? I thought I saw MSRP of about $35K awhile ago.

I didn't now they were out yet. The STI is the nicer and faster version of the WRX. It has a 2.5 turbo charged 4 cylinder in it and is AWD as well.
    2006 Graphite Gray EVO 9 SE

It was probably just a regular WRX with the STi badges and the basic mods. The 04's aren't out yet and those are the quick ones. Until then you could only get them in Europe and they had 286 HP!

The 04 STi will be a quick car, should run high 12's bone stock!

03 Cobra owners that can't drive better start working on there launch because those AWD cars can be mean out of the hole on the street.
    *TEXAS MILE - 182.265 bonestock --204.468MPH bolt-on's-- 227.2MPH RCC Turbo (half naked/low boost)!

Tranny

Unless Subaru has a fix for that WEAK transmission, I'm not going to worry too much. They cost so much that I don't think your average punk will be able to purchase one, so that will cut down on a lot of hassle.
    I want another Cobra.

Re: Tranny

Originally posted by SStupid
    Unless Subaru has a fix for that WEAK transmission, I'm not going to worry too much. They cost so much that I don't think your average punk will be able to purchase one, so that will cut down on a lot of hassle.
    Never under estimate the willingness of your average punk to go into debt As for the tranny, there not as bad as they were when the new wrx's first came out...
    They move. They breathe. They suck.

2014 DIB GT w/track pack 13/14 GT500 Axle Back and Valance, Resonator Delete, JBA Xpipe, Cornfed
    1999 Hugger Orange SS track whore
    2003 TR Z06 Sold
    2003 DSG Cobra Sold

They fixed the tranny. New close ratio STI performance 6 speed.

Insane SVT Poster

Re: What the H33L is a WRX STI?

Originally posted by 03snake
    Re: What the H33L is a WRX STI?
    LOL, I guess some people ONLY read FORD magazines

I read it was around $32k. They will be making about 300/month. Subaru makes great cars - well engineered, high quality materials, the fit and finish put our cobras to shame. I own an Outback and do all my own work, and have been impressed with how these things are made. Do not dismiss this car lightly - it is a force to be reckoned with, and will runs circles around our cars in the twisties.

I own a WRX 02' 5 speesd.My trans is gone and SHM is gonna start building a stronger clutch on back to twhels(tranny upgrsdes inluded)and wiil handle well over 450 @ the wheels.
    My Subbie does 11.5's.And will be on tv in a few mos. from a new subcompact TV show from the folks at Dream Car Garage.Dave S.

Cool

I watched one run consistent 8.6's and 8.7's at the local 8th mile track. It was pretty fast. Those damn boxer 4's put out some torque. I cant hang... i need to get off my ass and get my intake ported, and start modding my car, im not gonna lose to any imports if I can help it!

It's to big to move FAST! Silverstrike's Avatar
    The STi version is running around HI. It makes sence since its the first state Japan comes in contact. The 2.5 Boxster is an N.American only powerplant all other STi's still have the 2.0 only and 276 HP ratings for once America gets the good version and the rest of the world gets the watered down version. But for a little over $32 grand and no Radio I take a Cobra.

Re: Re: What the H33L is a WRX STI?

Originally posted by BBriBro
    LOL, I guess some people ONLY read FORD magazines
    Not exactly. Just have never seen a STI version if thats what it was. We have a few regular WRX's out here that put a hurting on some of the domestics at the track. Running low 12's....

Insane SVT Poster
    Originally posted by jd93gt
    Those damn boxer 4's put out some torque. I cant hang...
    I don't think the torque is as impressive as the traction, My friend launches his at 6000, the clutch smells a little in protest, but he had 1.7 60' times stock ! I don't really want that much traction though, the rest of the driveline will not tollerate that abuse for long.

STI

They are still good looking cars straight from the factory. Not a match for the 03 unless the road started to curve a bit and then you might have had your hands full. Get one of those on a curvy road with a good driver and it would hand an 03 his butt. Guess thats kinda apples and oranges though as the Cobra was setup for straights.

96 TransAm - Lots of stuff
    95 Lexus SC300 - Single PT67, 6Spd and everything else.
    94 Z28 Camaro - only one that like corners

Rookie SVT Poster
    Try a race with a Audi RS6 450hp AWD. I did. Quick car.
    WHITE LIGHTNING 01,Super flip chip & cold air, 2" rear drop. Dyno, 390hp and 450torque at R/W. Will add more!

11 Second Vert Club RedfireVenom's Avatar

Oh, the humanity of it all. FordSVTFan's Avatar
    Originally posted by TROY
    Try a race with a Audi RS6 450hp AWD. I did. Quick car.
    When did you race an RS6? My buddy is on the waiting list for one. His dealer said there are none for sale in the US yet. He said most likely next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FordSVTFan
    If being STUPID doesnt hurt, it should!

STi is an enthusiast dream...

Yep..the STi is quite the car. 12.7" disc up front, 12.4" in the back with Brembos....outbrakes a Porsche GT2 from 60mph! 0-60 4,8 seconds, and the 1/4 in 13.4 And that's only pushing out 14.5 PSI. The lunatic WRX owners are like lunatic Cobra owners, and will boost the daylights out of that little car!! They make 300HP/300TQ...but once they start monkeying around with the boost and mods..expect 350hp++ And those flat fours are near bullet-proof. Transmission? The new one is a tough 6 speed..and get this..you can adjust the center differential via a knob in the car to distribute the power differently between the front and rear wheels. The intercooler has a water sprayer that is controlled via a cockpit switch. This things is quite the little car. On a street race where the WRX can drop the clutch at ANY RPM and go....the Cobra might be in trouble. Impressive at any rate. Why can't Ford make a car like this? Why can't they make a version of the Focus WRC car? Dang....

Re: STi is an enthusiast dream...

Originally posted by R*Rocket
    .........On a street race where the WRX can drop the clutch at ANY RPM and go....the Cobra might be in trouble.......
    Nothing a set of drag radials can't take care of.
    '03 Cobra Powered by BilletFlow and Stiegemeier sold

2009 Hayabusa

"To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress, is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition".

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add ‘within the limits of the law’, because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. -Alan Gura, 2A Attorney addressing the supreme court of the US.

Insane SVT Poster

Re: STi is an enthusiast dream...

Originally posted by R*Rocket
    Why can't Ford make a car like this? Why can't they make a version of the Focus WRC car? Dang....
    I wonder if they will? Certainly the manufacturers see that the WRX was so popular, the STI will be, and the Mitsu Evo is, Duh, there is a market for that type of car, even though for decades they didn't think the Americans liked them.

Originally posted by FordSVTFan
    When did you race an RS6? My buddy is on the waiting list for one. His dealer said there are none for sale in the US yet. He said most likely next month.
    Current: '97 Pacific Green Cobra w/black and saddle interior - BOOYAH2
    Catted BBK X-pipe(doesn't fit right), Flowmaster 40 series Catback, Front MM Tokico Coilover kit, H&R Race rear springs, 18x9/18x10 Anthracite FR500's.

'02 Pewter WS6 - (Wife's): SLP Loudmouth

Former: '98 B/B Cobra, SCed/forged plus many other goodies, gone but not forgotten.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast