"98 Cobra R concept" cobrastang305's Avatar

T-56 trans swap..what gear ratio?

Im going to swap a T-56 into my 98 cobra. I was looking at DDperformance, viper spec T-56 rated to 650 ft/lbs. has anyone bought one of these or can you recommend where to get one built? also with the stock t-45 i see alot of people go with 4.10s or 4.30s. the t-45 has a 3.27 first gear but the T-56 has 2.66 first gear. should i go with 4.56s or 4.88s with the 2.66 first gear?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

98 Bright Atlantic Blue Cobra -stock for now

I am not sure what to go with gear wise either....I am swapping in a termi t56... i have 4.10s in it right now..
    -John

Lethal Off-Road H | GT500 AB | BAMA Tuned

The t-45 actually has a 3.37 first. With a t-56, I wouldn't hesitate going with 4.88's.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberDown View Post
    I said ok give it a tug, she jerked it as hard as she could

jucied96snake has a T56 for sale in the market, he had 430s in his car, but went higher (I think he went to 373s). car was crazy fast (fully built/blown, etc) and he loved the tranny.
    *SOLD- my 96 mystic now belongs to my brother (arkansas mystic)

2004 Honda 600RR-stock-sold
    1996 Mystic Cobra-H&R sports, Bilsteins, MM c/c plates, King Cobra clutch, FRPP 3.73's, MGW Shifter (orange handle), 80mm Pro-M mass air meter, 8.5mm MSD wires, Mac underdrive pullies, Flowmasters, Mac o/r H-pipe, Nitto 555's, Sunroof, Billit grill w/ cobra, s.s. bumper inserts,
    "hoofbeats are faster than heartbeats"

The t-45 actually has a 3.37 first. With a t-56, I wouldn't hesitate going with 4.88's.
    your right.. typing error

jucied96snake has a T56 for sale in the market, he had 430s in his car, but went higher (I think he went to 373s). car was crazy fast (fully built/blown, etc) and he loved the tranny.
    ?.. the 4.30s would have had better acceleration than the 3.73s

I have the Cobra spec t-56 in my 97 Cobra. I love it. I have 373's right now. I'm looking to go with 430's really soon. If you want to go with the Viper spec then put 456's in the rear. The double overdrive on the viper spec will knock those 456's way down for the highway, more so than the Cobra spec. And D&D Performance is a great shop. They shipped everything needed to make the swap right to my door within a few days. Great customer service and products are top notch. Thier prices are really good also.

I have the Cobra spec t-56 in my 97 Cobra. I love it. I have 373's right now. I'm looking to go with 430's really soon. If you want to go with the Viper spec then put 456's in the rear. The double overdrive on the viper spec will knock those 456's way down for the highway, more so than the Cobra spec. And D&D Performance is a great shop. They shipped everything needed to make the swap right to my door within a few days. Great customer service and products are top notch. Thier prices are really good also.
    Thanks for the info.

If you're staying NA, go with at least 4.30's or 4.56's to make up for the tall ass first gear of the T-56's.
    My Pics My Videos Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association
    BBK Longtubes & O/R H pipe, Magnapacks, WMS Intake, Centerforce DF Clutch, Spec Aluminum Flywheel
    Koni Yellows, MM Coil Overs, A Arms, Full Length Subs, CC Plates, and Aluminum Rack Bushings, Steeda Sway Bar
    Eaton Posi Diff, FRPP 3.73's, Moser 31 Splines, DBA Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS's, and 95' Cobra R's w/295 Kuhmo XS's

Well i guess im going with the 4.56s Thanks for the help