short throw shifter

i thought about getting a short shifter but i was told that here bad for the tranny...

so i was thinkin about cutting it down.. i did it on my delsol once an just got a different shift knob. that the knob has screws to hold on the knob..

Quote Originally Posted by ef8 View Post
    i thought about getting a short shifter but i was told that here bad for the tranny...
    right ...

so why would cutting the stock shifter be any better for the transmission then a short shifter? that is all the B&M is, a shortened stock shifter ....

what could be bad is if the cable are out of adjustment, but that can happen with stock also ...
    - 95 Mystique LS
    - 99 Contour SeVT-T -> 3L Turbo
    - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

I had a B&M it was really nice.
    2001 Black SVT F150 Lightning
    Diablosport tune-C&L upper-Accufab SBTB-C&L inlet-JLP CAI-NGK TR6s-Eibach springs-Belltech shackles 2"-weight reduction-
    to be installed- Hotchkiss leafs-Mafia-6#lower-2.7 upper-Cannon LTs-Cannon catless mids- Bassani SS catback.
    1998 Silver SVT Contour E0 #3455 (SOLD)

ok well i think it came out wrong.. i wanna shorter shifter not throw.... i thought short shifters are short shifters cause the bottom of the shifter is longer to make it a shorter throw....
    again i dont need any asshole comments. if im wrong im wrong so dont be a dick ok thanks guys...

get a pro 5.0

sorry but whats pro 5.0 an where do you get them??

sorry but whats pro 5.0 an where do you get them??
    no such thing for the contour

ok well i think it came out wrong.. i wanna shorter shifter not throw.... i thought short shifters are short shifters cause the bottom of the shifter is longer to make it a shorter throw....
    again i dont need any asshole comments. if im wrong im wrong so dont be a dick ok thanks guys...
    yes you are correct, a true short throw shifter is longer below the pivot point to make the shift shorter.

now a B&M shifter is reduced in length above the pivot point. This is the only change from stock. You can cut the stock shifter to get the same effect but you will lose the reverse lockout.

now a Steeda Tri-ax from a Focus (non-svt focus with mtx75) is a true short shifter. It is longer below the pivot point and is shorter above the pivot point. However it isn't as short as the B&M. Now because the shifter is longer below the pivot it isn't a direct install. If you install it the shifter will hit the floor. so you use a raiser plate for 98 to mid 99. This will space the shifter higher and allow it to work. On the mid 99 to 2ks the shift tower is different and you need to remove it from the car and install a different kind of spacer/raiser plate to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by brapple View Post
    yes you are correct, a true short throw shifter is longer below the pivot point to make the shift shorter.

now a B&M shifter is reduced in length above the pivot point. This is the only change from stock. You can cut the stock shifter to get the same effect but you will lose the reverse lockout.

now a Steeda Tri-ax from a Focus (non-svt focus with mtx75) is a true short shifter. It is longer below the pivot point and is shorter above the pivot point. However it isn't as short as the B&M. Now because the shifter is longer below the pivot it isn't a direct install. If you install it the shifter will hit the floor. so you use a raiser plate for 98 to mid 99. This will space the shifter higher and allow it to work. On the mid 99 to 2ks the shift tower is different and you need to remove it from the car and install a different kind of spacer/raiser plate to make it work.

whoa your everywhere!!!!!!!!! i wanna run the turbo car hahaha ill vid the whole thing lol

well i just wanted to get some opinions an to see if anyone else has done it before on THEIR car... since it does have the reverse lock...

again the only reason for shortng the top part of the shifter is to keep it stock but have a shorter throw since if you cut the top part of it you'll get the same feeling...
    Found
    On
    Road
    Dead

no such thing for the contour
    whoops i thought there was

Quote Originally Posted by rio95cobra View Post
    whoops i thought there was
    yeah there isn't much for the contour. B&M or Steeda Tri-ax are the only options unless one finds a knock off of those two.

B&M is the only name I trust!

Quote Originally Posted by CSVTDEMON View Post
    B&M is the only name I trust!
    Agreed.I have the B&M on my csvt and love it.Although i wist it had positive stops like the 5.0 mustang shifters.
    91 5.0 VERT-roll cage-Koni-BBK-MSD-3G alt-Optima red-

99CSVT SF-OMP strut brace-BAT Euro suspensionkit-
    -BAT 21mm sway bar with custom subframe
    -G Force 235/40/17 all the way around
    -Power slot rotors F/R
    -Flip out DVD-Valentine 1 hardwired-XM hardwired
    -Carbon fiber highs and mids-Fosgate 1 Farad Cap
    -Solo Baric 12''-Alpine V12 amp
    -B&M shifter-Pud heat shield-AEM intake
    -MSDS headers and Ypipe-CF hood and trunk
    -Xcal3 custom tune-Dual mode Dampener(DMD)
    -Iridium NGK
    ALL FORD PERFORMANCE 360-993-1740
    Vancouver, WA

I am using a B&M in my SVT at the moment and do like it but find its alittle short. being 6'1" I sit way back from the wheel so its alittle bit of a stretch to reach it. I have a Steeda Tri-ax in my SeVT-T and its a better height for me.

but then again anything is better then stock

so can we buy the b&m directly through there website because when i searched nothing came up on there site for our cars.....and with the steeda shifter, is any1 fabing the riser plates for 2k's?

Quote Originally Posted by darknightcobra View Post
    so can we buy the b&m directly through there website because when i searched nothing came up on there site for our cars.....and with the steeda shifter, is any1 fabing the riser plates for 2k's?
    whos web site? B&M are sold all over the net and ebay the last I knew.

as for the 2k raiser plate, not as of this time. I have yet to do it but some have used plexiglas to close off the floor. what is going on with the 2k shift towers is there is a plastic cover and foam on the bottom to seal to the bottom of the car. to get the clearence you need to remove that and then still seal up the hole in the floor.

can you get the metal riser plate off any 98 and back manual trans contours or does it only come on the svt?

can you get the metal riser plate off any 98 and back manual trans contours or does it only come on the svt?
    the raiser plate needed for the Steeda tri-ax shifter is not a stock item, its custom made.

you can get them from bugzuki, a member on ceg

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=9082

remember they are for the metal shift towers only, not the plastic ones in the late 99s and 2k cars

you might need to search for the focus instead. al long as the focus listed has a mtx75 then the shifter is the same.

the raiser plate needed for the Steeda tri-ax shifter is not a stock item, its custom made.

you can get them from bugzuki, a member on ceg

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=9082

remember they are for the metal shift towers only, not the plastic ones in the late 99s and 2k cars
    I have a 2K csvt.....can I get the metal shift tower off any 98 and prior manual trans contour? or does it have to be off a svt.
    Last edited by darknightcobra; 08-20-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: or does it have to be off a svt.

I have a 2K csvt.....can I get the metal shift tower off any 98 and prior manual trans contour? or does it have to be off a svt.
    yes if you want to swap out the plastic shifter tower for a metal one you can use any from a 98-99 contour/mystique/cougar

yes if you want to swap out the plastic shifter tower for a metal one you can use any from a 98-99 contour/mystique/cougar
    sweet thanks for that info because I am pretty desperate to change my shifter.

Can I get a KB WooWee! Jomo1994z71's Avatar
    biggest sack of crap I have ever heard...totally untrue...grinding gears and not knowing how to drive is bad for the tranny

#7000 of 8,394
    1 of 170 Oxford White Coupes with Parchment Interior
    Mods: KB 2.2 with 3.0 Reichard Racing (17psi), KB BAP, 60# Injectors, Mafia, Billetflow Idlers, JLT RAI, NGK TR7IXs, LFP Dual Pass H/E, 170* Reische Performance Thermostat, Even Flow Head Cooling Mod, True Forged Intercooler Tank, Spec 3+, Spec Steel FW, 26 spline input shaft, MGW Orange Shifter, T-56 Anti-Venom Mod, 4.10s, Fiore Firewall Adjuster, UPR Triple Hook Quadrant, MM Steering Rack Bushings, MM FLSFCs, MM IRS Bushings, BF IRS Brace, Bassani Catted X with Borla Stingers, 315/35/17 Nitto Drs on 17X10.5 replicas out back, SOS A-Pillar Gauge Pod with Speedhut Boost & Coolant Gauge, 6000K Dual Beam HIDs, Raptor Shift Light in A/C Vent, BBS RKs recoated Chrome...awating tires
    Tuned by Brad at XXX Motorsports

Rookie SVT Poster
    The one I just bought has a Spec short throw shifter with a reverse lockout already installed. Shifts like butter and goes into gear perfectly. I will never buy a B&M product again after one of their shifters locked the T5 in one of my old Mustangs in 5th gear and yes it was the shifter because once I pulled it and put the stock one back in it was fine. They are probably ok with the cable shifters in these cars though but still... burned once and its tough to go back to a company.
    2000 Contour SVT #1245 of 2150 Silver on Midnight Blue. Magnaflow Y pipe, TruBendz Borla catback w/resonators, Spec shifter, Injen CAI.

1995 Cobra SVT #3914 of 4005 White on Black. Full rebuild with dome pistons, Performer RPM heads, Comp XE270HR-112 cam, Tmoss ported Cobra intake, BBK CAI, Tremec 3550, Tri-Ax short shifter, Hi-6 ignition, BBK UDPs, MAC ceramic longtubes, MAC H, Dynomax Ultras, 3.73s, HR reds/Bilsteins, 18" Saleens etc...

1995 SHO ATX Emerald Mocha. Silencer removed, K&N panel filter installed. Full front/top 100k completed including shims. 114,000 miles. SOLD