Premium Member

How tall of a cowl hood can I run?

I just got my 79 Camaro back from getting redone and I currently have a six inch cowl hood on it. I have had a couple people ask me if its legal and it got me to wondering about it. It is kinda hard to see over and I don't plan on leaving it on the car for more than a couple of months. I just picked it up at a deal until I can afford a nice cowl. Does anyone know what the laws are? I live in NC but I will be driving the car to my work in GA and to rod run in a few weeks in TN. Will I be okay or should I try and get a hood asap before I drive it?
    Here is a pic to give you an idea

Well I just read...or attempted to read.....the NC state code. I couldn't find the equipment section. I can tell you that VA (which doesn't help you) is 4in.

Most states say that a person can not modify the OEM parts on a vehicle. I have not seen a state that doesn't have that written in the code.

I would say....that hood is WAY too high. But, I personally wouldnt pull you over.

Hopefully, a NC LEO will chime in.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Member of the Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association
    SOLD

"We search for the truth, We seek for justice, the courts require it...The victims cry for it, and God demands it"

Even if there is a section that defines the maximum height cowl hood... I'm sure there is a section for obstruction of view. Based on the picture, I would say that falls into the obstruction of view category.

No offense, but I would pull that car over for suspect moonshine running..GA doesn't have a statute addressing cowl height.....unless view is obstructed in some way as stated above.

My friend has a 3 and a half inch cowl on his 05 GT. Needless to say its a treat to drive that thing. As long as you know where the front of the bumper is

He lives in Atlanta with minimal issues surprisingly.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes03 View Post

Most states say that a person can not modify the OEM parts on a vehicle. I have not seen a state that doesn't have that written in the code.
    You have obviously misread and partially forgotten various statutes related to OEM emissions equipment and/or exhaust.

That thing gonna get painted before the car shows up here? Gonna need to know what that thing looks like so i can harrass you when i see you.
    '06 White/Silver GSX-R600
    Mods: -1 Front sprocket, Yoshi Carbon Bolt-On,
    BMC Race Filter, R1 Throttle Mod, PC3 w/ Race-Tune, Speedohealer

97 Rio Red Cobra
    Mods: Got 'Em

Quote Originally Posted by stg View Post
    you have obviously misread and partially forgotten various statutes related to oem emissions equipment and/or exhaust.
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes03 View Post
    well i just read...or attempted to read.....the nc state code. I couldn't find the equipment section. I can tell you that va (which doesn't help you) is 4in.

Most states say that a person can not modify the oem parts on a vehicle. I have not seen a state that doesn't have that written in the code.

I would say....that hood is way too high. But, i personally wouldnt pull you over.

Hopefully, a nc leo will chime in.

I'm a speedaholic.
    <-- Knows nothing about specific NC vehicle code. I am sure an officer could articulate that the hood blocks your view and is a safety concern.

Hell, if you aren't allowed to have anything hanging from your rear view mirror (California specifically) because its a visual hazard, then that hood could damn sure also be considered a visual hazard.

Personally, I think it looks bad ass! (after a paint job)

NC statute- Chapter 20, Article 3, Part 9 addresses equipment of vehicles and is silent as to cowl height.

that thing is silly huge!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by jshen View Post
    No offense, but I would pull that car over for suspect moonshine running.

Banned
    How high of a cowl hood you can run depends on how ****ing stupid you are willing to have your car look.