Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie SVT Poster

How to install Optima Battery in the 03/04 Cobra.

I've seen alot of threads about what Optima battery fits best in the 03/04 Cobra so I decided to make a How To.

So first off you need to pick up an Optima Battery (Part # 34-78, Model # 3478DT.)

The only tools you should need is a 5/16" socket and rachet with a extension and a small saw.

Remove the current battery then remove the battery tray by removing the 3 5/16" bolts one in the center and 2 on the side.

Set the Optima battery in side the tray, you will notice its a little to wide mark the side of the tray that sits closest to the headlight useing the battery as a guide.

Cut the side off the tray.

Fit test the battery and cut more if needed.

Install the two adapters that come with the battery.

Install the battery tray, slide in your new Optima and tighten it down, connect the terminals and enjoy!
    2003 Silver Metallic 10th Anniversary Edition Convertible Cobra.

Banned
    I would add a couple things:

It is best to cut the tray on the side towards the front of the car this way you will have an intact lip that will prevent the force of acceleration from sliding the battery back towards the rear.

If your hold down bolt is corroded as they often are you can get a new battery tray at the Ford parts counter for only $14 that comes with new hold down bolt.

I can't find my pulley! EvilTwins's Avatar
    Why did you put that blanket back around the battery? I run an optima but not that ugly blanket

Black 2003 HP Twin 57mm Cobra
    800rwhp/750tq

Banned
    I think (not sure) that the blanket is to prevent damage when the battery explodes or to insulate it from heat...

I also removed my blanket.

Can I get a KB WooWee! Jomo1994z71's Avatar
    Very nicely done

#7000 of 8,394
    1 of 170 Oxford White Coupes with Parchment Interior
    Mods: KB 2.2 with 3.0 Reichard Racing (17psi), KB BAP, 60# Injectors, Mafia, Billetflow Idlers, JLT RAI, NGK TR7IXs, LFP Dual Pass H/E, 170* Reische Performance Thermostat, Even Flow Head Cooling Mod, True Forged Intercooler Tank, Spec 3+, Spec Steel FW, 26 spline input shaft, MGW Orange Shifter, T-56 Anti-Venom Mod, 4.10s, Fiore Firewall Adjuster, UPR Triple Hook Quadrant, MM Steering Rack Bushings, MM FLSFCs, MM IRS Bushings, BF IRS Brace, Bassani Catted X with Borla Stingers, 315/35/17 Nitto Drs on 17X10.5 replicas out back, SOS A-Pillar Gauge Pod with Speedhut Boost & Coolant Gauge, 6000K Dual Beam HIDs, Raptor Shift Light in A/C Vent, BBS RKs recoated Chrome...awating tires
    Tuned by Brad at XXX Motorsports

Or you can run the Ford GT battery (just a group 75/35 Optima with a Ford sticker on it) and not have to cut your battery tray. I got my battery from Steve @ Tousley for $129 + shipping and the adapter was free from Optima. Don't even have to pull the tray to install it since there are no modifications needed.

-Herb-
    03 Torch Red Mach 1

I got your HEMI hanging!! whyte_03's Avatar
    i have a red top optima and by tray is not cut.
    03 Cobra
    Dyno'd at 477/454 at RET.
    BEST TIME: 12.1 @ 120, 2.14 60ft, street tires SONOMA Oct 08!

117k miles and still pimpin!

Banned
    There are two size optimas, you only have to cut the tray with the larger size.

Premium Member
    I installed a different tray that was made for the Optima batteries. Holds it very well.

Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Areteracing View Post
    I installed a different tray that was made for the Optima batteries. Holds it very well.

Wow! ...and where did you get that?
    Sold - 2003 10th Annv Cobra Coupe... Black
    Magnaflow Catted X Pipe~Borla 14858 Cat Back~C&L 95mm MAF Cold Air Kit~Accufab Big Oval Throttle Body & Plenum~NGK TR6 Plugs~MM Full Length Subframe Connectors~MM Polyurethane IRS Differential Bushings~MM Caster Camber Plates~MM Aluminum Rack Bushings~MM Bilstein HD Struts & Shocks~H&R Race Springs~MGW Shifter Blue Handle~Billet Flow 2.93 Pulley and 4 Piece Idlers~Billet Flow IRS Brace~SCT Tune by Dave Guy 465hp 469tq

Quote Originally Posted by Areteracing View Post

Yes where did you get that? Is it a custom job or is that available for sale somewhere?
    2003 Mustang Cobra #3394

Whipple/Ford Racing Upgrade
    Accufab Polished Single Blade TB
    Magnaflow Catback
    Many Other Mods... See my profile page for the list.

Parts I am looking to buy/trade for (PM me if you have them for sale):

- Fore Precision Fuel Rails
    - Dual FPDM wire harness
    - Extra FPDM

2011 Ford F150 FX4 with the NEW 5.0 Ti-VCT

RIP - 2008 F150 FX4 - E85 Powered

Anyone ever figure out where this tray came from?

Found it on ebay, looks like a killer piece!

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmbre97 View Post
    Or you can run the Ford GT battery (just a group 75/35 Optima with a Ford sticker on it) and not have to cut your battery tray. I got my battery from Steve @ Tousley for $129 + shipping and the adapter was free from Optima. Don't even have to pull the tray to install it since there are no modifications needed.

? what is the CCA on that battery Thx.

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nolyaw View Post
    Anyone ever figure out where this tray came from?
    E/Bay and Amazon.com has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Juruense View Post
    If your hold down bolt is corroded as they often are you can get a new battery tray at the Ford parts counter for only $14 that comes with new hold down bolt.
    I need to do that. My bolt is corroded almost to the point where it won't thread in.

I would add a couple things:

It is best to cut the tray on the side towards the front of the car this way you will have an intact lip that will prevent the force of acceleration from sliding the battery back towards the rear.
    Wouldn't the force of braking be higher than any possible force of acceleration?

Quote Originally Posted by whyte_03 View Post
    i have a red top optima and by tray is not cut.
    What is the part number and model number?

There are two size optimas, you only have to cut the tray with the larger size.
    What are the part numbers for these?

I've gone to the Optima website and they do not identify any batteries for the Mustang or the GT.

Anybody know who Tousley is? Tousley Motorsports perhaps?
    Phil
    '03 Terminator
    Bassani Steeda Tri-Ax Hawk DTC-60 Quantum Brake Ducts Enkei RPF-1 Nitto NT01 LPW

Is it Friday yet? 04RedfireVert's Avatar
    Premium Member
    The answer to that last question would be Steve at Tousley Ford. Look in the vendor section.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Back-N-Black View Post

Anybody know who Tousley is? Tousley Motorsports perhaps?
    Tousely Ford
    Build #2163 of 8394-D.O.B. 8-15-02-2003 Whipple Oxford White Cobra -

MMR 900, Whipple @ 21 PSI, JLT ram-air, Bassani headers, Prochamber mid-pipe, Flowmaster 44s, 60lb inj., B.A.P., SCT 2800, XCAL2, Aeroforce Wideband, BR7s, BF pulleys, Afco HE, Pro-Flow mod, 170* stat, Spec 3+ 26 spline, Fidanza flywheel, Liberty input shaft, MGW shifter, "Anti-Venom mod", Fiore adjuster & quadrant, oil separator, 3/4 coil-cut springs, BF brace, Laurel Mountain Airbags, drilled & slotted rotors, MT ET Radials, SS inserts, Raptor shift light, SOS pod, Aeroforce gauges, S281 wing, 4300k HID foglights

This looks like a real nice setup but my 03 SVT Cobra hold down clamp does not look like the one you have pictured here. I can't find a 75/35 here but did find the 75/25. It was just too narrow for the 03 SVT Cobra mounting clamp.

venom one,

I must know who the heck is that in your animated picture in your sig? I think I am in love....I mean Lust!

James
    Foofkiller--"Now, all you bench racing, paper racing haters need to relax."

04 Redfire Coupe
    553 RWHP 524 RWTQ
    Whipple 3.0 pulley, KB BAP @ 35%, 60 # injectors,
    MAF.i.a set at 2, LFP Heat Exchanger, Even Flow Cooling Mod (PITA to install), modified Motorcraft thermostat from ReischePerformance, JLT RAI w/pass side valve cover breather, Bassani 5pcs X-pipe w/DMH low profile electronic exhaust cutouts, BF IRS Brace, BF 100mm aux idler, LFP 3pcs idlers, Spec 2+ clutch kit, Liberty 26 spline input shaft, Fidanza Aluminum flywheel, LFP hardened TOB sleeve, NGK TR7 IX plugs @ .035, PCV Oil seperator, Amsoil 0w-20 w/Wix filter, Amazon tuning solutions tune by Rick, Fiore clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, LFP 3/8" hubcentric spacers with extended lugs, Nitto NT01 315/35/17 tires on a set of AFS 10.5" replicas, MGW Short throw shifter
    [/B]
    I try to support a variety of venders

Quote Originally Posted by MY DREAM View Post
    venom one,

I must know who the heck is that in your animated picture in your sig? I think I am in love....I mean Lust!

James
    I think the one on the right is Katy Perry in a SNL skit.

Quote Originally Posted by MY DREAM View Post
    venom one,

James
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-N-Black View Post
    I think the one on the right is Katy Perry in a SNL skit.

All three pics are of Katy Perry. The first one I'm not sure where it's from, the second is from an SNL skit, and the third is from a video by 3oh!3 called Star Strukk....she looks so effin hot!! My wife said that she is my girlfriend....I wouldn't mind.

Does anybody know the part number for the Ford GT Optima battery?

Does it function okay in the 03/04 Cobra?
    2003 4.6L SVT Cobra -- 1 of 851 -- "Around" 500 RWHP
    Posi Race Ported Eaton - Posi Ported Dragon - JLT High Boost Intake - SCT BA2600 - Reichard Racing 2.9" Upper -
    Metco Dual Bearing Idlers - Head Cooling Mod - Reische Thermostat - Kenne Bell BAP - MAC ProChamber -
    Borla Cat-back - MGW Shifter - Speedhut Gauges - Some Suspension Stuff - Some Pretty Stuff - Toyo R888's

fyi, I run the 75/35 bought from oriely's. It works out great, until I can find that neat optima mount adapter I currently ran the bolt through a door striker(the piece that you screw to the door frame). It clamps to the battery and works out great, holds very secure and honestly I don't even notice it is there.....

Last edited by beeradd; 02-01-2011 at 10:14 AM.

-mods-
    2.8 pulley, Amsoil filter, tri-ax, BF irs brace, stock midpipe, borla stingers(polished), afs10.5 rears with nitto nt05, cut springs(1/2) coil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast