Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie SVT Poster

Question Engine bogs down at high RPMs! Help!!

The other day I took my freshly built (pistons, rods, etc.) 96' cobra to the track for the first time. Every time I accelerated the car would bog down during the higher rpms and it would feel like it wasn't going anywhere.

Could this be the clutch slipping or maybe having insufficient amount of fuel? I know that my transmission needs a rebuilt because my synchros are starting to go bad. Anyways, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

when was the fuel filter changed last?

Plugs?
    Wires?

Do you smell anything when the car bogs? if the clutch is slipping you would know. It would smell terrible.

2011 GSXR 600. M4 GP slip on, K&N filter, Dunlop Q3's, shorty levers and a Hotbodies undertail.
    2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. K&N filter. 42mpg.
    2003 Redfire Cobra with parchment interior. Gen II 2.3 Whipple @ 16 lbs (3.2 RR pulley), 63lb injectors, KB BAP, Accufab SBTB, BA2400 MAF, Conical filter w/ heat shield, Powdercoated heat exchanger expansion tank, Bassani Catted X-pipe, Borla Catback, 26 spline input shaft, Spec stage 3+ clutch, spec steel flywheel, mgw shifter, FTBR IRS kit, Billetflow IRS brace, H&R Race springs, MM C/C Plates, MM FLSFC's, 18x9/10 03/04 replica rims powdercoated prismatic triple bronze, 275/35r18 285/30r18 Dunlop Direzza zII tires, JVC bluetooth head unit, Steering column gauge pod with autometer lunar series boost gauge

Rookie SVT Poster
    The plugs were changed only about a month ago after I build the bottom end. I don't know about the wires and the fuel filter.

You didn't happen to put msd coil packs on it did you? I had a problem similar with em on.

Could be a fuel problem like said above, what kind of maf setup is on the car??

Rookie SVT Poster
    Coilpacks are stock and the maf is a C&L, not sure what size, it was already on the car when I bought it. I guess I'll start by replacing the fuel filter and inspecting the injectors.

is the compression ratio stock?

was the car tuned after the motor was rebuilt?

Fuel filter maybe. $10 part and its worth a shot.
    *Black Venom*
    1997 Cobra, Bassani Catted X, Borla XR-1 CB, 3.73's, K&N, MGW, Ram Clutch, MMR IMRC Deletes, 3/8" intake spacer, Bilsteins, H&R SS, MM CC Plates, AR Rebels 18x9/10 with BFG's, 6k HID's.
    1989 GT, Flowmasters and Pony's *SOLD*
    1989 LX 5.0, AKA The BumbleBee *SOLD*
    2002 HD F-150 S/C *SOLD*
    2003 Azure Blue Mach 1 *SOLD*

"When the Blower Spins, The Bull$*** Ends."

Rookie SVT Poster
    The compression ratio is slightly higher but not much. No, I haven't had it tuned.

Just Another Sell Out
    do you still have the imrcs? did it feel like the car hit a wall, or did the engine rev but the car not accelerate?

My c&l also gave me probs, try the stocker and see how it runs.

Just trying to eliminate everything..

Quote Originally Posted by blown4v View Post
    do you still have the imrcs? Did it feel like the car hit a wall, or did the engine rev but the car not accelerate?
    +1

'97 Mark VIII LSC DNB (Mark VIII Enthusiast Community)
    '98 Cobra - sold

Rookie SVT Poster
    Yes I still have the IMRCs. When I took off the line, the car accelerated from 1st gear, shifted into 2nd, pedal on the floor, the rpm started climbing, then all of a sudden between around 4-6k rpm the car as you mentioned hit the wall (the pull of the car drastically decreased and I believe the rpm stopped climbing, it was like hitting the rev limiter). So I shifted into third and the same happened again. Other than that it pulls hard as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by FLSVTCobra View Post
    Yes I still have the IMRCs. When I took off the line, the car accelerated from 1st gear, shifted into 2nd, pedal on the floor, the rpm started climbing, then all of a sudden between around 4-6k rpm the car as you mentioned hit the wall (the pull of the car drastically decreased and I believe the rpm stopped climbing, it was like hitting the rev limiter). So I shifted into third and the same happened again. Other than that it pulls hard as hell.
    sounds like a classic case of imrc syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSnake View Post
    sounds like a classic case of imrc syndrome
    +2 yep sounds like the IMRC's need cleaning. g/l and keep us posted
    STOLEN
    96 Cobra
    BBk LT with off road X-Pipe, IRS magnaflows, modified bbk cold air, Accufab Single Blade TB, IMRCs(deleted), Short Runner Intake(SRI), COP Swap, pro 5.0 shifter base w/ Steeda Tri-ax handle,Eibach sportline springs (front),Maximum motorsport C/C plates and bump stops, 99 IRS-4.10s,poly diff housing bushings,billetflow irs brace,04 IRS torque brace,h&r sport springs(rear), bilstien shocks,Black Saleen wheels.

I build them she drives Tx_Diablous's Avatar
    IMRC's open between 3200 to 3400 and I would think it would bog in any gear over these RPM's. Try bringing it up to these RPM's and then steadly push it up to 6,000 and see if the bog changes and you feel a drop off in the pull. There are a lot of things that can cause a bog. Fuel pump, bad coil pack, plug wires, and even a bad MAF not seeing the correct air flow can cause it. If you can data log you might be able to track it down without using the buy, replace, remove and clean and still not knowing what it is. Now having said all of that, if it seems to pull ok with steady peddle pressure I would look at the fuel system. If it bogs no matter how fast you push through 3200 then I would lean toward the MAF or the coil packs-plug wires. If it only bogs when you stomp it to the floor I would go for IMRC's.
    BTW good luck this symptom sucks and could be almost anything.

Yeah I highly doubt it's your imrc's...
    my signature

The more and more I think about this, It leads me to belive the MAF function may be to blame.

Do you still have the 24lb injectors in the car?

As said before, throw on the stock MAF and see what happens.

same thing happened to me at the track a month ago. Do you happen to have an aftermarket high flow fuel pump in it or an aviator pump. Mine would hit a wall at 5-5500 rpms and come to find out it was sucking the basket dry causing a lean condition and activating the knock sensors which pulled timing. I had to drill holes in my fuel basket.... now she pulles cleanly all the way to 7.

Rookie SVT Poster
    Yeah I still have the stock 24lb fuel injectors. When I bought the car it already had a C&L maf therefore I don't have the stock one.

I also have an aftermarket fuel pump which flows at 190lph.

Rookie SVT Poster

Question

Quote Originally Posted by crazycarlo View Post
    same thing happened to me at the track a month ago. Do you happen to have an aftermarket high flow fuel pump in it or an aviator pump. Mine would hit a wall at 5-5500 rpms and come to find out it was sucking the basket dry causing a lean condition and activating the knock sensors which pulled timing. I had to drill holes in my fuel basket.... now she pulles cleanly all the way to 7.
    What do you mean by "sucking the basket dry"? And "drilling holes in the basket"? What you have described is almost identical to what happened to me at the track. Could you be more specific? Thanks.

The pumps sits in a basket and is sucking it dry before it can be refilled by the fuel in the tank. You drill some holes in the basket, it stays filled.

Premium Member
    Who tuned the car? Id check your plugs

--= Black 96 Vert, Forged Motor, TKO500, Built Rear, Intercooled T-Trim @ 17psi, custom cage ect... =--

--=1996 Black Coupe... Beezer Built Motor, NA SVT intake, Hanlon Built T45 & D1SC @ 14#=--
    --=Lund Tuned=--
    --=536RWHP/465RWTQ=--
    SOLD!
    --= 2004 Svt Focus EAP Euro =--
    SOLD!

--=Proud Member of the Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association=--

Click me to look at my for sale threads!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookieman00x View Post
    Good idea, should tell the story for you.

Rookie SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookieman00x View Post
    The car has not been tuned since I have build the bottom-end. I will check the plugs in the next couple of days.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!

you just had an engine built and you're dragging it at the track w/o it being tuned ?

is it not throwing any codes ? sounds like a fuel problem to me. Does you car have a fuel rail pressure sensor ? could you have damaged anything while putting everything back together ? pinched / damaged wire ?

I'm still hunting down a circuit malfunction from a bad wire somewhere in my car after the terminator motor went in. It bogs at higher rpms also.
    Last edited by 68_GT; 03-02-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    Daily driver
    2013 SHO PP tuxedo black with performance package tuned by Livernois Motorsports, 3 bar MAP, 170* T-stat, drop in K&N air filter, regapped spark plugs to .30....eagerly waiting on the release of the next XV1 tune update. Downpipes and more to come.

Fun car
    1968 Mustang GT mild 302, built AOD, stall converter, long tubes, X pipe, Dynomax Ultraflows, 17in wheels, +05 Mustang GT front brakes, Explorer 8.8 rear with disc brakes, Magna / KYB suspension, A/C, a lot of fiberglass, true blue paint, black interior, Fox Stang seats, white Halogen headlights, blue LED dash lights....always under construction

Sold
    1998 Mustang w/ Terminator motor and full '03 Cobra interrior / IRS ported blower, T56, NX wet 100 shot, SCT tuned by Houston Performance 476 RWHP Eaton / 560 RWHP NOS
    2000 GT Mustang fully built 708 RWHP on Novi 2000 642 RWHP on KB 2.2
    2001 F150 Harley Eaton blown & cloned 400 RWHP / 500 RWTQ
    1998 Mustang GT stock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast