CSVT Won't Start

Hi there! This a.m. as I was getting ready to leave for work, I tried starting my car but it just keeps on turning but will not go all the way and start. I tried several times but still won't go. This is the first problem I've ever had on the two years I've owned my CSVT. fuel pump???? Please HELP!

Thanks ALL!!!!!
    "The Heartbeat Stops Here"

1999 Black Contour SVT #1583 of 2760 "1BD SVT"
    2003 Black Focus LX (wife's car)
    1999 Black Expedition EB (weekend family suv)
    2001 Silver Ranger Super Crew 4.0L (son's truck)
    1989 Red Mustang GT NOS assisted w/ "GMEATR" plates (sold)
    1989 Silver Taurus SHO (sold)
    1996 Green Kawasaki ZX6R (weekend stunter)

do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on?
    - 95 Mystique LS
    - 99 Contour SeVT-T -> 3L Turbo
    - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

yes, I always wait for the humming to go off then start it but this a.m., it will just turn.

weird! I tried starting it again yesterday when I got home and as usual it will just crank but won't start. I tried again this a.m. before going to work, same thing. I just called AAA from my work to tow my car from home to a friend's shop and when the AAA driver tried to start it, it fired up like nothing was wrong. I asked my son to leave it running for 5 mins then turn it off and when he tried starting it, it fired up again! As I said, WEIRD! Hopefully, it's just one of those once in a lifetime gremlin

If it happens again, check and clean the IAC valve.

New SVT Poster

same problem with my CSVT

I had the same problem. In a period of about 7 years, my car would not start on 4 occasions. Towed it to 4 different dealers, no one could figure out the problem because it would eventually start on it's own. I've replaced the IAC valve, CPS, and the coil pack, but it still happened. Each time it did have a crank signal, correct fuel pressure, spark, and compression. I'm guessing it has something to do with the wiring to the PCM. No one else has been able to help me with this, so if you ever figure it out, please let me know.

Rookie SVT Poster
    Buy a can of starting fluid. If it happens again shot a few squirts in to the throttle body while holding the throttle blades open. Put it all back together then try to start it. If it starts then its a fuel problem. It takes more fuel pressure to start then to run.
    Matt
    00 CSVT one modded son of a....Hush yo mouth!!
    1993 Lightning More to come!
    96 Rose Mist SHO (wifes)

Shocago & SVT SHO Society Member
    AIM-thedukeofsho

New SVT Poster

Frown

Basiclly have the same problem. Had most of that stuff replaced. Ran great for about a week and boom back to it again.

Idles fine I drive around for 1-2 mins and it starts choking out and the right light on the middle dash keeps going solid and boom dies. Won't turn over again for a day or two.

Anyone?

This all very much sounds like my fuel pump when it went bad. Depending on the fuel level and if I was parked on an incline it would sometimes not start.

2003 Redfire Cobra coupe
    2004 Azure Blue Mach1 - Sold
    92 Calypso 5.0 Hatch - Sold
    2000 SVT Contour - Sold
    The American dream means equal opportunity, not equal results.

New SVT Poster
    Ya I thought that too. Replaced that since it was somewhat going. Still having the issue. Just started the car and it idled fine in my driveway for about 15 mins. Checked wires etc etc gave it alittle throttle and all was good.

The minute I leave the drive way and start going it will start to choke up on me and die.

Rookie SVT Poster
    Maybe a stuck injector? If its stuck open it'll richen the cylinder. Just a thought.

New SVT Poster
    Does sound like an intermitten fuel pump problem.

But I have found on my '98 csvt that the plastic covering of the wires, (all), is apparently made of something similar to paper mache because I have found many wires that have the plastic covering cracked and gone, (leaving exposed wires to touch one another), usually near the plug. I think this is one of the main reasons for the alternator problems a lot of people have on these cars, (along with its position on the engine). You might wan't to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by rodraytest View Post
    Does sound like an intermitten fuel pump problem.

But I have found on my '98 csvt that the plastic covering of the wires, (all), is apparently made of something similar to paper mache because I have found many wires that have the plastic covering cracked and gone, (leaving exposed wires to touch one another), usually near the plug. I think this is one of the main reasons for the alternator problems a lot of people have on these cars, (along with its position on the engine). You might wan't to check that out.
    The early 98s had/have a bad wiring issue, in that the wires and their protection don't stand up to time and turn brittle.
    Ryan

2008 Roush 427R TrakPak #68
    - CHE Engine Brace, FTBR Adjustable PHB, Maximum Motorsports 4pt Roll Bar
    2004 Volvo V70R
    - Stock

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - General James Mattis

It's happening again! This time every other day When I try to start it in the morning to go to work it would just keep on cranking but won't go all the way. When I get home, I will try again and this time it will run like never had a problem. Next day, it will continue to run the whole day. This a.m. I tried and guess what, back to the old gremlin just will crank but not go all the way! If it starts again tomorrow and which I think it will, I will just go ahead and drive it to the shop and have the fuel pump replaced although when you turn it on you can still hear the pump turning on

Since my csvt started again, I didn't have any choice but to drive it yesterday. When I was about to get on the frwy, the car just died. I tried starting it back but it'll just crank and nothing until the batterry just gave up. I got it towed to my friend's shop and he tried to put new battery and guess, what it started. He said it's probably just the battery not putting enough juice to start it. I drove to work without any problems! This a.m. it started without a slight of hesitation so I was happy but as soon as I was again about to enter the same frwy as yesterday, the car died again. I tried starting it and cranking it almost 10 times and finally started again (thanks to the new battery). I no longer drove it to work but took it home b/c I don't want to risk it dying on me again especially on the busy LA traffic. I rode my bike instead to work this a.m. It's getting so frustrating, I don't even know whgat to think b/c the fule pump seems to work. Help!!!!!!!

New SVT Poster

Fuel Pump.

Run a fuel pressure test off of the outlet on the fuel rail. specifications call for 26 psi or higher to start. If it does not meet specifications replace the fuel pump. If it does meet specifications check to make sure that the system holds pressure. (30-60 seconds). If not there is either a leak before your fuel rail or, more commonly, the check valve needs replaced. It may also be of good interest to check and/or replace the fuel filter to ensure the fuel is not getting blocked at certain times. Just a few suggestions.