Best general purpose welder

What do you guys recommend for a general all purpose welder? I have no experience with welding at all but it seems like a valuable skill to learn. I have no intention of become a pro or producing fancy smancy looking welds..i just want something strictly for function. What welder should i get for general use on a car or around the house? Perhaps to fix a broken gate or weld exhaust piping?

US Navy (retired) Silver2003Cobra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cybr7678x View Post
    What do you guys recommend for a general all purpose welder? I have no experience with welding at all but it seems like a valuable skill to learn. I have no intention of become a pro or producing fancy smancy looking welds..i just want something strictly for function. What welder should i get for general use on a car or around the house? Perhaps to fix a broken gate or weld exhaust piping?
    I'd guess you need a oxy/accytlene welder.. you can use it for light duty welding and cutting.. (I'd guess up to 1/4" thick steel for welding)
    member #3143

Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have ****ed with? That's me.

2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins and G56

had 03 Cobra coupe #7015 of 8394 born May 13 2003 (Tuesday)

had 97 Pacific Green Coupe #2442 of 6961 100% stock

Remington 700 BDL, 375 Ultra Mag, the most powerful medium bore rifle made, good for anything from rabbits to elephants..