Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chrome Pitting on AFS Replica's

Found a great deal on some 18" replicas, but unfortunately they do have some minor pitting in areas, especially on one wheel. Is there anything I can do about this? It really isn't noticeable from a distance, but it annoys me lol.

This is the worst wheel:

I've been happy with Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. It's relatively inexpensive, you can buy it at most any place and it works pretty well. The sooner you clean the spots the better.
    '03 Cobra Powered by BilletFlow and Stiegemeier sold

2009 Hayabusa

"To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress, is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition".

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add ‘within the limits of the law’, because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. -Alan Gura, 2A Attorney addressing the supreme court of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by 03DOHC View Post
    I've been happy with Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. It's relatively inexpensive, you can buy it at most any place and it works pretty well. The sooner you clean the spots the better.
    Thanks for the tip. Not sure how long the guy had the wheels before, but I would imagine the spots have been there for some time now. How would you recommend I apply it?

I like to use soft cotton hand towels or a couple of sacrificial microfiber towels. Just put a good sized glob on the towel and try not to rub too hard at first or you will scratch the hell out of it. Once you work the surface rust stuff off you can apply more pressure. It will make your hands sore but once done it is easier to maintain.

After cleaning and polishing with the chrome polish I liked to use Klasse AIO on my wheels. Made it easier to keep clean.
    '03 Cobra Powered by BilletFlow and Stiegemeier sold

2009 Hayabusa

"To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress, is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition".

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add ‘within the limits of the law’, because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. -Alan Gura, 2A Attorney addressing the supreme court of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by 03DOHC View Post
    I like to use soft cotton hand towels or a couple of sacrificial microfiber towels. Just put a good sized glob on the towel and try not to rub too hard at first or you will scratch the hell out of it. Once you work the surface rust stuff off you can apply more pressure. It will make your hands sore but once done it is easier to maintain.

After cleaning and polishing with the chrome polish I liked to use Klasse AIO on my wheels. Made it easier to keep clean.
    Thanks!

i think once there is damage, it might be to late. sure some will clean up, but it wont be perfect. it already bothers you, im the same same way. every time you look at the car youll see the imperfection and end up spending more $$$, so id just get new. g/l if you try to polish them up

Was the original owner in the snow belt? I only have experience with AFS wheels here in California. And none of them have any corrosion on them. I would also try a mild chrome polish. You may be able to improve the finish but that damage looks pretty bad. You may end up with a "ten foot wheel".

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    Was the original owner in the snow belt? I only have experience with AFS wheels here in California. And none of them have any corrosion on them. I would also try a mild chrome polish. You may be able to improve the finish but that damage looks pretty bad. You may end up with a "ten foot wheel".
    Picked them up from a guy in Huntington Beach.

try some blue magic, can pick it up at wal mart. awesome stuff
    http://bluemagicusa.com/index.php/blue_magic/index/

2.8 upper
    high flow cats
    mac catback
    steeda cai
    sct chip
    18" hypercoated FR500's
    Tuned by the best, Bob Kurgan

exact same thing happened to my AFS wheels. I bought some Chrome 03 Cobra reps from them and had them about 9 months before they started pitting. And i live in NC so it wasnt from salt either, plus the car was mostly garage kept ive seen several people with this problem

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSVT View Post
    Young people want loud cars to announce their arrival telling the world thay have a bad ass car thinking when people turn their heads and say "who's that". When in reality what they are saying is "who's that A-hole!".
    guess im that A-hole

Quote Originally Posted by SBSnake View Post
    exact same thing happened to my AFS wheels. I bought some Chrome 03 Cobra reps from them and had them about 9 months before they started pitting. And i live in NC so it wasnt from salt either, plus the car was mostly garage kept ive seen several people with this problem
    Wheels chromed in China ftl.

Should I Zoop the wheels to help prevent more corrosion, or will that not help?

Quote Originally Posted by 04SVT_COBRA View Post
    Picked them up from a guy in Huntington Beach.
    he drive them thru the ocean?

Hope you're able to get them shined back up...
    Black 2011 GT Premium: 6MT, FRPP Handling Pack, 3:73s, Flowmaster Hushpower, JLT Catch Can, Sound Pipe Delete, Redline Hood Struts, Roush Side Splitters, GT500 Spash Gaurds, MMD Matte Black Tail Light Trim.

Past Mustangs~
    01 SVT Cobra
    03 SVT Cobra
    95 GT
    82 GT
    69 Fastback

You could heavy duty polishing(IE: Sanding, using power tools, etc) them with stuff that would defanently destroy the chrome, and then send them out to be re-chromed. I'm not saying to just up and do that, but if all else fails that may be what they need.

Black 03 Lightning
    # 854 of 4270
    Born 1/9/03

Few little mods: Flowmaster exhaust, BroncoBeater Panhard Bar, Hydroboost setup, Hellwigs anti-swaybars F/R, Punisher VB, Stifflers X-Brace.

SB 03 Cobra(RIP)

88 Mustang GT with wrecked 03 Cobras drivetrain in the works. Will hopefully be complete some time this decade.

people say its from using regular air that allows condensation to build up inside the wheels(when inflated). The cheap chrome plating of AFS is a big reason why it pits also. I think nitrogen filling would remedy the condensation issue.

[CENTER]

Destroyer of Alternators Volatile's Avatar
    My chrome Bullitt replicas are starting to become discolored in areas and pit just like your AFS. I've just accepted it at this point as I've tried almost everything with very little success. I think it's just the quality of the metal and coating on the wheels. I think the chrome/polished wheels that stay like a mirror for a long time are going to be OEM wheels, or the high end stuff like TF and CCW, unless you take absolute meticulous care of them, but I DD my car.

Black rims next time around for me..
    2006 SRT10 Ram

04 Whippled Cobra
    SOLD

It might not be pitting.
    One thing that i highly recommend is to try some steel wool get some #0000 the finest that they sell rub lightly and report back with the results. Dont be scared it wont scratch the chrome as long as you dont rub to hard.

My results.

Black 10th Anniversary 2003 Cobra#1721 of 2003
    BF 2.76 - BF 4pc Idlers - Pfab tank - Xcal II - Borla Stinger cat back
    Magnaflow Catted X - JLT RAI+K&N FIPK - LFP H/E - Evenflow Head Mod
    MGW Shifter - H&R Race Springs - MM Quadrant & F/A - MM Bushings
    Kenny Brown Subframe's - Black Chrome AFS 18x9/18x10.5 335's
    NGK TR6IX - 5% Tint - Driver Mod
    480rwhp/478trq SAE

Previous Rides:
    Red 91 GT Fully Modded 11's N/A
    White 90 GT Stock
    Black 91 GT A Few Mods = Slow

Formerly "NXSTANG"

!!!!!!!!!!
    Brake dust can cause that.

Rookie SVT Poster
    I had this happen on deep dish Bullit replicas on my 06 GT. This is exactly why I'm skeptical to buy 17x10.5 chrome replicas for my 03 Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT10TH#1721 View Post
    It might not be pitting.
    One thing that i highly recommend is to try some steel wool get some #0000 the finest that they sell rub lightly and report back with the results. Dont be scared it wont scratch the chrome as long as you dont rub to hard.

My results.

I'm happy to see this. I'll pick some up on the way home!

Rookie SVT Poster
    ive always used the finest steel wool and some wd40

Well I used the steel wool and WD-40 method and it really helped. It took out all of the haziness and all of the roughness. Unfortunately, I think it has been in this condition for a while now and most of the individual pits are still there.

The chrome on the sides looks much deeper now, and you really can't even see the imperfections unless your as anal as me.

On my old '90 F150 I had some American Racing chrome wheels that were on year round, in the rain, in the salt, etc. I used to use Brasso on them and took away a good deal of pitting. I would then polish them and wax them. You might want to try it. It's been awhile since I've bought the stuff but I think it can be found in the household cleaning section at Wal-mart. Just my $.02
    2011 F150 5.0L FX4 (DD)
    2004 Oxford White Coupe
    #3525 of 3768
    Born: 3/22/04

2.80 pulley, K&N intake, Steeda Tri-Ax, Bassani catted X, Borla Stinger C/B, Steeda C/C plates, 3/4 coil cut springs, MM FLSFC's, Lethal 3/8" spacers, 315/35/17 Toyo TQ on 10.5x17 OEM reps, ET lug nuts, BF IRS Brace, NGK TR6's, DiabloSport Predator

i wipe my wheels down twice a week and polish them every two weeks. my rims will be dirty and other ppl ask if i bought new rims. lol i recommend eagle one never dull. works great for me.

^old stang (totaled )

new stang: Vista Blue 06

mothers chrome polish is the shit !!!!

Can I get a KB WooWee! Jomo1994z71's Avatar
    I use both eagle nevr dull and mothers mag/aluminum polish. It says not for chrome surfaces but I use it anyway...looks straight blingin

#7000 of 8,394
    1 of 170 Oxford White Coupes with Parchment Interior
    Mods: KB 2.2 with 3.0 Reichard Racing (17psi), KB BAP, 60# Injectors, Mafia, Billetflow Idlers, JLT RAI, NGK TR7IXs, LFP Dual Pass H/E, 170* Reische Performance Thermostat, Even Flow Head Cooling Mod, True Forged Intercooler Tank, Spec 3+, Spec Steel FW, 26 spline input shaft, MGW Orange Shifter, T-56 Anti-Venom Mod, 4.10s, Fiore Firewall Adjuster, UPR Triple Hook Quadrant, MM Steering Rack Bushings, MM FLSFCs, MM IRS Bushings, BF IRS Brace, Bassani Catted X with Borla Stingers, 315/35/17 Nitto Drs on 17X10.5 replicas out back, SOS A-Pillar Gauge Pod with Speedhut Boost & Coolant Gauge, 6000K Dual Beam HIDs, Raptor Shift Light in A/C Vent, BBS RKs recoated Chrome...awating tires
    Tuned by Brad at XXX Motorsports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast