Crazy SVT Poster

Headers or new wheels/tires = traction!?

Well, "Santa" has granted me the go-ahead to get some headers, lol! I need to know which ones to get. I will be getting a catted X with whichever one that I get. I need to know which one is the best for fitment and clearance. This will be my daily driver so I am looking for headers that will last and "hold up" for quite some time. I am also debating on some Steeda Spyder wheels to add traction on the rear (20" x 11" rears - 555r's). I may get the wheels first to add traction to my already 540 rwhp, non traction beast. The final price will be about the same for headers as it will be for the Steeda wheels and new tires. I don't know which ones to get first!? Hmm, more traction or more volume/power. My gut is saying get traction so I can enjoy the power that I have. Let me know your thoughts...I just wish that a 19" tire with amazing traction was out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really love the stock wheels, just NO traction with any tire combo with a 19 x 9.5" wheel.

Happy Holidays!

Scott
    2014 Ruby Red w/Black Stripes Shelby GT500

L&M Engines Built 5.8
    Revan Racing 13-6+++
    ATI 10% + 2.6"
    ARH 1 7/8 O/R H
    Spec SS clutch
    LCA
    Adj. Panhard
    True Forged Chicanes
    20x11/9.5
    Nitto 555R/555

EP
    SVTPP
    TP
    Recaro's
    Shaker Pro
    Car Cover

I say get the headers then say "Well now it has too much power to drive uh oh, need more traction like lower control arms and tires" though Santa might not be too happy with you after that ;)

2008 Shelby GT500 Whipple 4.0 | BMR | TRZ | ARH | CCW | Bogart | C&R | Eibach | Pro 5.0 | Spec | QA1 | Moser 9"

2010 SVT Raptor 6.2 Magnaflow | BMF | 35" Nittos | Turbo in the works

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeS10 View Post
    I say get the headers then say "Well now it has too much power to drive uh oh, need more traction like lower control arms and tires" though Santa might not be too happy with you after that ;)
    ..+1
    In all honesty you arenít going to see any real gains with the header set up except about 30ftlbs of tq or so, maybe 10 rwhp or so. The real gains come in when you go with a aftermarket blower. They will last for a good long time if you ceramic coat them, and that will cut down on under hood temps considerably. You are going to get aftermarket wheels at some point no matter what.. lol.
    Remember with the headers your additional cost of the X pipe w or wo cats, and the install, and if you do it yourself you might as well put the K-member in while your under there , it will make it so much easier...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hissssss View Post
    ..+1
    In all honesty you arenít going to see any real gains with the header set up except about 30ftlbs of tq or so, maybe 10 rwhp or so. The real gains come in when you go with a aftermarket blower. They will last for a good long time if you ceramic coat them, and that will cut down on under hood temps considerably. You are going to get aftermarket wheels at some point no matter what.. lol.
    Remember with the headers your additional cost of the X pipe w or wo cats, and the install, and if you do it yourself you might as well put the K-member in while your under there , it will make it so much easier...lol
    I agree decide if you want to run an aftermarket blower at some point and if you want to spend the cash now or later. If you just want to cut down on the temps you could get a new heat exchanger from Revan racing, one of the best mods for our cars. You could also get new upper and lower control arms with tires to really help the traction. So many options out there for you.

I say the first thing you do is sit down and really think what kind of money you are willing to spend and what you want from the car at this point. Decide what you ultimately want from the car. Then build from the foundation. Its what I was always taught, you can have all the power in the world but its no good if you can't get it to the ground or are going to be breaking things!

"Is That Thing Stock...." 09Troublemaker's Avatar
    Since the headers will not generate much more power #'s
    I would do the tires.........

FYI- My Kooks 1 7/8 with catted X fit snug with NO clearance issues.
    I won't say they are the best, since I haven't installed the others

G/L

2014= SVTPP=Recaro=Glass Roof=Nav=Shaker Pro

Crazy SVT Poster
    +1 on Kook's 1 7/8 headers, but why make more horsepower if you can't get to the ground?

Skip the headers, they are not worth much at all at your power level. They will help great at the 700+ level.

Crazy SVT Poster
    That makes sense...If change out the blower, I should/would definately do the headers...I guess that I could change out the mid pipe with an aftermarket catted x in the meantime to give it some more volume....

Scott

Rookie SVT Poster
    I would skip the headers as on the stock blower it's really not worth the money for the gains you get. I would do the Shelby Heat Exchanger before tires if possible. I'm under the assumption that you're on stock tires which "do the job" for daily driving. Obviously you can't romp on it in 1st or 2nd gear but you can still play with the pedal. Also, due to the dual fans of the Shelby Heat Exchanger it makes it optimal for daily driving when stopped at intersections and what not.

Check out Revan Racing Mustang GT 500 performance heat exchangers and radiators Florida | www.revanracing.com 2009 for more info. Van, the owner, is a real stand up guy and he's very reliable. Answered my call on a Sunday afternoon. Just goes to show how reliable he is.

"Is That Thing Stock...." 09Troublemaker's Avatar
    +1 on the H/E^^^^^Nice product!

seems like everyone covered the basics already

2008 Shelby GT500
    2921 out of 6513 coupes
    132 of 314 Alloy Metallic

Shelby Dash Plaque,FRPP TVS Super power pack ,Drag Pack,SVT handling pack,FRPP Cobra Jet TB/MAF/80lb injectors,J&M UCA,LCA,Adj.PHB,SFC,PH A/D,O/R H, DynoMax 3in,CHE, Shelby Rad/HE,VMP 2.59,KB BAP,L&M plenum,BMR KMEMEBER,AED CUSTOM RETURN STYLE FUEL SYSTEM.
    91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
    700HP/700TQ ON E85
    10.78 @ 129MPH 1.644 60FT

2014 Fiesta ST Green Envy Tricoat
    2014 Tuxedo Black Fusion

WWW.AEDHP.COM

I would do the rims and tires before the HE its not needed yet.