Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Cobra Mod

New Cobra Mod

Well after 3 months of planning, building, and testing version one is out. So far I have windows autotap, 8000 mp3, videos, and wireless lan with internet. It runs off of a 7 inch touchscreen. I custom built the computer from extra parts I had. Built the case from 1/4" plexiglass. Pentium 4, 2 Ghz, 120 Gig 8mb cache 7200 rpm harddrive, 256 DDR 3200, Radeon 9500 pro, etc. Everything runs through the stock mach 460 speakers (CD button toggles between CDs and Computer, 10 times better quality from computer) and the radio is still fully functional. I built a custom rear seat delete with a trap door to open to the computer in the trunk. I also rigged a playstion controller for a mouse if I don't feel like using the touchscreen. Oh, and 806 nintendo games at a touch of a button .

It started out I just wanted autotap and my MP3s, but since it's powered by a strong computer I just started adding things. My wireless LAN kicks in about 100 feet from my garage. I can download files to my main computer and then upload them to my CarPC.

In Version 2.0 I'll add DVD, webcam for the track, and GPS is currently on order. Right now I use Media Engine as a user interface for my MP3s. Video coming as soon as Ryan gets over here with his video camera.

I've still got a lot of clean up to do with wires, but I'm still in testing phase.

I know most of you are into performance, but I thought I'd post it anyway. Pics......
    Last edited by hssss03; 11-28-2003 at 04:37 PM.

STL Reginal Website and Forum: http://www.stlmodulars.com

Nice mod. Can you do this without the rear seat delete? What about cost?
    FORMER SCTA C/PS WORLD LAND SPEED RECORD HOLDER: 213.121 MPH
    THE CAR: 2003 Yellow Cobra with black center hood, #265 of 8395, birth date: 5/30/02, 1 of 490 Zinc Yellow Coupes
    MOTOR: Custom Bored & Stroked with Billet rods to 306.65 cubic inches – 794 rwhp & 828 tq. w/ race fuel tune
    WHEELS & TIRES: Goodyear Land Speed Tires Rated to 300 mph on Diamond race wheels (Street tires at the moment)

HEADS: Ported/Polished/Special Cams & Completely Upgraded Valve Train Components, Cometic 5 layer head gaskets
    AIR MANAGEMENT: Accufab TB with 2.8L Kenne Bell, Custom blower restraint, larger meter, HUGE air filter! hehe

EXHAUST: Kooks long tube headers, removable cats, & Magnaflow exhaust with Tips (There are so many mods not on this entire list!)

CHASSIS: Full chromoloy cage and K-member, Two Fire systems. DSS stage V halfshafts, IRS brace, SFI steel bell housing

MISC: UPR Blue Thunder Shifter, 3 hook quadrant, firewall adjuster, Every cooling mod known to man, Total Fuel System upgrade
    w/75 lb injectors and Aviator pumps, T-56 with Viper Gear Set, 26 spline input shaft, 31 spline output shaft, everything cryogenically
    treated and micronited. Line lock, Kirky Racing Seat, Custom Stroud Parachute, Raptor Shift light and guages, .5" wheel
    studs and 1" open ended lug nuts, complete 10 rib pulley system, larger meter, SCT X-Cal, Battery relocate & external shut off switch,
    High Amp Alternator, H&R springs & Coil Overs, 160 T-Stat, Hood pins. Plus all the other stuff I'm forgetting right now!

EAST COAST LAND SPEED RECORD HOLDER IN STANDING MILE: 186.853MPH
    I just extended my world land speed record in the C/PS class at the World Finals in October, 2007. Not sure what is next... ideas?!

Let the brighness of your life be your loved ones and the brightness of your mind lead your life.

Computer was around $200 for wire, and some parts, but you can use any computer.

screen = $400 direct from Hong Kong, but they are hitting vendors now in the US.

Then autotap, GPS, etc, as much as you want to spend.

Yes you can do it without the rear seat delete, but it worked out really nice with one.
    Last edited by hssss03; 11-28-2003 at 04:42 PM.

I would think a laptop hard drive would be more suited to mobile environments due to shock and vibrations and such. Interesting setup.
    '03 Cobra Powered by BilletFlow and Stiegemeier sold

2009 Hayabusa

"To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress, is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition".

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add ‘within the limits of the law’, because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. -Alan Gura, 2A Attorney addressing the supreme court of the US.

Originally posted by 03DOHC
    I would think a laptop hard drive would be more suited to mobile environments due to shock and vibrations and such. Interesting setup.
    Yes they are, but they can't hold nearly as much data and cost $$

the maxtor I have is rated at like 4G running and 50G while not running (I think, don't remember where I read it though).

If I was starting from scratch I would have used better parts suited for this application (epia, DC-DC PSU, laptop harddrive, etc), but I wanted to use the parts I had.

i really love it when both of my hobbies come together like this ...
    coleman
    2003 Ford SVT Cobra
    #561/8394 on 6/13/02
    609RWHP/560RWTQ@16#w/pump gas

Engine: 310 stroker,L&M cams
    Induction: KB & SbTB
    Fuel System: KB BAP,Focus Pumps,SD55#
    Exhaust: HookerLTs w/Jet-Hot2000,QMP 3",MagnaFlowCats,Flowmaster
    Handling: MM FLSFC/CC/coilover,D&D K-Member/A-Arms,Brembo brakes,KB U/L Control Arms, hardened halfshafts
    Cooling: Gordsford H/E w/fans
    Other: Canton+Accusump,RaptorPerformance Shift light,Battery relocated,Pro 5.0,wbO2,3.73

Dead Poster Walking
    Outstanding
    JW
    Superformance MkIII -- sold the Roush 427R to put a modular 4.6 in it. Project underway.
    Drag car that will never, never, never, never, never never ever, ever run, -- for sure.

Originally posted by coleman
    i really love it when both of my hobbies come together like this ...

You are getting sleepy... flyn high again's Avatar

I really like this screen, Paul.

Nice work.
    Co-owner LDC Chicago
    2003 dark shadow gray coupe
    Chrome Wheels/Spoiler Delete
    Current mods:
    BF 2.76
    Steigemeier Stage 3 Port
    B.A.P./SCT 2400/60lb. injectors
    K+N FIPK
    Bassani X pipe/cat back
    MM Subframe connectors
    4.10 gears -gone- back to 3.55s
    BilletFlow IRS Brace
    MGW shifter
    Vince's improved version of Mathis brackets
    Fiore clutch adjuster/Steeda red "quick release" quadrant
    H.I.D.s

how or have you gotten around the startup delay?
    i'd hate to be waiting minutes for the PC to startup...
    standby? restore from disk?
    coleman
    2003 Ford SVT Cobra
    #561/8394 on 6/13/02

Handling: MM FLSFC/CC/coilover,D&D K-Member/A-Arms,Brembo brakes,KB U/L Control Arms, hardened halfshafts
    Other: Canton+Accusump,RaptorPerformance Shift light,Battery relocated,Pro 5.0,wbO2,3.73

and where did you find that MP3 player?
    coleman
    2003 Ford SVT Cobra
    #561/8394 on 6/13/02

And Then Some............ Ripper's Avatar
    I have to agree very very creative ?

Originally posted by hssss03
    screen = $400 direct from Hong Kong, but they are hitting vendors now in the US.
    links please
    coleman
    2003 Ford SVT Cobra
    #561/8394 on 6/13/02

And Then Some............ Ripper's Avatar
    Also, what did you use to convert it to run on DC ?

Very nice setup Paul...you know I am more of a performance guy, but it is a very nice setp, pictures do not do it justice
    03 Satin Silver Cobra
    MMR 1100 Shortblock
    Hellion Turbo
    Dynotune Dry kit
    Lethal Turbo Cams
    Spec 5
    Bogarts
    Level 5's
    SCT Pro Racer Software
    Dyno and Track numbers coming soon!

screen: www.digitalww.com is getting them soon.

I have it going into hibernation mode. About 10 seconds on startup and shutdown.

I used a 350w power inverter. A DC to DC PSU would have been better, but I didn't want to fork out $150 for one when I could use a $40 power inverter. I have it wire directly to the battery with a 30A inline fuse.

www.mediaengine.org is the front end I use. I built a cobra skin for it also.

Sweet... I wish I had the know-how to pull something like that off.

hssss03, which is the best touch screen? high resolution & brightness?
    coleman
    2003 Ford SVT Cobra
    #561/8394 on 6/13/02

That freakin' rocks!!!

Please PM me with more details on the screen, I've been thinking about something like that but mostly using a Pocket PC. Your running a P4 2Ghz in a Car... that is sick, just think 5yrs ago that would've run ya like 20k.

I can't wait to see your version 2.0, sounds awesome. Please keep us in the loop. I've always wanted to do a streaming Car Cam but the connection has always been the weakest link. Will you be streaming or recording to disk? Well, now you've set the bar, can anyone surpass....

BTW: Very nice job as well on the wallpaper.

514.93 RWHP SAE
    477 RWTQ SAE
    YouTube - My Movies Page

2003 10th Anniversary Cobra
    Steig Ported & Polished Blower, Throttle Body & Plenum~Billet Flow 2.76 pulley + 4 piece idlers
    Borla Stinger Catback~Ford GT Pumps + FPDM (ditched BAP)
    K&N Air Charger~NGK TR6 plugs~SCT XCaliber II / Tuned by Pete @ performance-dyno
    Nitto NT05 Drag Radials~Diablo MAF.ia~Billet Flow IRS Brace
    PPRV Removal
    D&D Performance upgraded T56~LDC Cooling Mod & Clutch Cable Tensioner
    Fiore MicroClick Clutch Quadrant & Firewall Adjuster~Spec Stage 3+ Clutch

LFP Dual Pass Heat Exchanger

Build # 7799 ~ Born on Date: 06/26/2003
    1008 of 2003 - 10th Anniversary Edition

damn, you're serious about taking your entertainment with you, aren't you???

Nice setup.
    God is dead, and no one cares. If there is a hell, I'll see you there.

I have one cam that came with the screen. It is a streaming cam which I might set up in the back window. It even came with a waterproof dome so you can mount it under the car and you can flip the view so it isn't upside-down. I'll be using a regular webcam and recording for the track along with logging autotap.

Brightness was the determining factor for me. The Lilliput 400 nit is the brightess by far on the market. Others can't be seen in direct sunlight, but the lilliput is bright enough to handle it. The touchscreen is a thin film on the screen and it can glare a little bit but is still viewable. I'm running 800x600 res right now. 1024 x 768 was just too small for a 7" screen. Also make sure you get VGA or XGA, DO NOT GET A COMPOSIT SCREEN! If you just want to watch movies composite screens are fine, but you cannot read small text, ie. autotap, GPS, windows, etc.

Oh the GPS I ordered is voice activated too. It says, "turn right next stop light" and such. It's just a plug and play USB device too. Can't wait.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast