Rookie SVT Poster

cxracing FMIC install help

I'm installing this intercooler and trying to figure out the best way to mount the core, I can't figure out how cxracing wants you to do it, the kit came with 2 brackets that have 2 channels cut in them with 4 bolts that wont fit fit into the holes and 2 space/nut type things. Can anyone give some pointers, for getting this thing installed on my 03 Mach 1.

Thanks.

sent you a pm
    12 MS3

Dreamin about Boobies stangnutlx's Avatar
    go buy some flat stock steel from home depot. Mount intercooler to header panel, Make 2 brackets coming from radiator support.

In for pics of the install/mounting if anyone has them.

this is the best picture i have of mine. i used flat stock and bent it at i believe a 45* angle and my buddy welded it to the bottom of the radiator support, then put 2 supporting straps on the top. that thing will not move at all.

**** YO COUCH NIKKA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy1987 View Post
    this is the best picture i have of mine. i used flat stock and bent it at i believe a 45* angle and my buddy welded it to the bottom of the radiator support, then put 2 supporting straps on the top. that thing will not move at all.

Where did you get the bumper support from?

X2 on the Home Depot shelf brackets, I painted mine flat black and you cannot even tell they are there. Mounted the top tabs on the intercooler to the radiator support and the black cover hides everything, plus it is ROCK SOLID.

JTR

03 GT KURGAN TUNED FMIC-V1/VT CAMMED

Quote Originally Posted by 2003GTIZZLE View Post
    Where did you get the bumper support from?
    JTR

made it myself out of 1in pipe and wrapped it with pipe insulation

Rookie SVT Poster
    thanks for the pointers guys, I ended up going and getting some metal from home depot and making them, it worked out great.

Thanks

Can anyone take pics of exactly where you mounted the metal brackets? I tried fabbing up some metal tabs to hold the intercooler and i've broken them so many times already. I guess we got some real bad potholes here or something.

Mine is bolted to the header panel and underneath the intercooler i ran 2 pieces of flat stock to the radiator support and tek screwed it in. sturdy as hell

Ive been juggling around the idea of using cargo straps to secure the FMIC to the bumper support. I know it's cheesy and will probably look like crap, but i think it would work much better than a solid bracket. It should firmly hold the IC in place while not being so firm that any bump or dip in the road would shake it loose. Did you have to take any precautions when drilling the bottom of the radiator support with tek screws?

Nope, just used ones that were 1" long

built,novi2k,T56,solid qwik01cobra's Avatar
    I just used a long peice of flat iron 1/4"x1" and cut and bent my own brackets
    Last edited by qwik01cobra; 03-29-2010 at 10:59 AM.

-Chad-

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy1987 View Post

what are the dimensions of this intercooler?
    98 cobra - novi 2k, forged teksid, stock heads, 2.9" pulley.
    02 2v GT - NA e85 automatic setup in the works!
    10 Taurus SHO - intake and tune DD.

Quote Originally Posted by harvboi05 View Post
    x2. Was it too big to fit behind the stock bumper support?

Here is my setup
    Turbonetics 24"/9.5"/3.5" Core
    Custom Piping going blow Thru with a PMAS HPX Slot MAF
    It turned out real nice. Notice the nice gap between the radiator and the IC
    The power steering cooler never had to be moved.

Last edited by HandsomeRob; 04-07-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    Cobra #5577-Vortech V1 Si-Trim-Custom FMIC 8-9lbs-GP 1000HP Fuel Kit-Aeromotive FP Regulator-ATI "Big Red" Open Race BPV-PMAS HPX Slot MAF-Siemens 60# Injectors-Accufab TB- MMR IMRC Deletes-MM K-Member Package-O/R Dr Gas X Pipe -Borla XR1 Catback-MGW Shifter-Hurst Pistol Grip-Steeda QR Quadrant- FIORE FW Adjuster-MM Pedal Adjuster-AFM Powerpipe-COP Conversion-NGK TR6 Plugs-SCT XCAL3-FMS 3.73 Gears-Eaton 8.8 Posi w/Superior 31 Spline Axles-17x9-17X10.5 Deep Dish 03 Cobra Wheels-Cervini Cobra R Hood-Raptor Shift Light-AM Phantom Gauges-8K HID Headlights-Custom Oil Catch Can-Reische Performance 170 stat!

-Project Obsessive Compulsive Disorder-
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...lots-pics.html

31x12x3

Quote Originally Posted by 97desertCobra View Post
    x2. Was it too big to fit behind the stock bumper support?
    no it fit just fine, but i had cut up my bumper support beam so much that i just chose to make one myself, plus it shaved a couple lbs off the front too.

i just bought the same setup 31x12x3. im skeptical of the silicone couplers from ebay though. ill post my install brackets when i get it all taken care of.

i just bought the same setup 31x12x3. im skeptical of the silicone couplers from ebay though. ill post my install brackets when i get it all taken care of.
    the ones that came with my kit are holding up just fine, and i've had them on for almost a year now.

i know im kinda waking this thread up a lil but i said id post my setup so here it goes. last time i got an ebay kit the couplers it came with were a joke, but these ones were good. so im happy bout that. i dont have my MAF tube done yet, but everything else is pretty much the same. the passanger side fog light mount need some pretty bigtime trimming, but i didnt cut a big hole into my fender well and i didnt move my powersteering cooler lines or anything. just trimmed the crash bar and bolted it to that. im gunna run some lower mounts on the bottom of the IC to the lower core support and call it a day.

i used the assorted bends that came with the kit and one paxton elbow:

i know im kinda waking this thread up a lil but i said id post my setup so here it goes. last time i got an ebay kit the couplers it came with were a joke, but these ones were good. so im happy bout that. i dont have my MAF tube done yet, but everything else is pretty much the same. the passanger side fog light mount need some pretty bigtime trimming, but i didnt cut a big hole into my fender well and i didnt move my powersteering cooler lines or anything. just trimmed the crash bar and bolted it to that. im gunna run some lower mounts on the bottom of the IC to the lower core support and call it a day.

i used the assorted bends that came with the kit and one paxton elbow:

I like this set-up. Shave a little off the front also and almost looks factory. I beat it hardly moves
    I'm not a mechanic, But I play one in my garage!

Looking for some 99/01 cobra, 03/04 mach1 parts
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ome-parts.html

the intercooler wiggles a lil bit, but with the lower support straps in there, it will be pretty nice. i dont understand what you mean by shave a lil off the front. im pretty happy with how everything came out.