SVT God

The TR-3650 into SN-95 Cobra swap thread

I have a decent T-45 out of my car now that I was going to rebuild but then I get to thinking about swapping it in favor of a TR-3650 with the 10% or so higher torque rating. I'm assuming this is a favorable swap.

Problem is there is no authorative swap thread or article for one of these into our cars that I can find, just bits and pieces. To complicate matters worse, putting a TR-3650 into a GT is easier than an SN95 cobra.

So from what I gathered I think the following is correct but please correct me if I am wrong.

The TR-3650 will bolt up to the engine fine
    Clutch is the same between T-45 and TR-3650
    The shifter assembly will not interchange.
    The driveshaft is the same.
    The reverse light setup swaps over easily
    The speedo will no longer work but a Speedcal from Dallas Mustangs will fix this easily.

Now onto what I thought was the most (relatively) complicated part.

All TR-3650's have the 96-98 "GT" transmission mount location on the tail housing, not the rearward 96-98 "Cobra" location so this needs to be adapted on Cobras only.

On my car I welded the tranny mount brackets to the frame rail following FLSFC install so I cannot simply slide the brackets forward and redrill. I'd have to cut them off and reweld. I suppose I can do that if I need to.

Did anybody come up with a tranny mount adapter to use a tranny with a "GT" tranny mount location with the Crossmember in the Stock Cobra position????

My apologies in advance if I happened to miss an all inclusive swap writeup/thread.
    '04 GT- MM Max Grip box- Autocross car

4:10's = The Suck RIO RED SNAKE's Avatar
    +1, i want to do this or a t-56 down the road it woudl be nice to know

2011 SHELBY Gt500 PP

"When in Fear, Drop a Gear and Disappear"

i put a 3650 in my car, i just swapped tail housings between the transmissions and everything bolted up fine

96 cobra,7 year work in progress. Never ending

SVT God
    Quote Originally Posted by 96dreamer View Post
    i put a 3650 in my car, i just swapped tail housings between the transmissions and everything bolted up fine
    What tailhousings? As far as I can see all TR-3650's had the "GT" tranny mount location.

I can see the tail housing swap being done to put a "GT" T-45 into a Cobra by swapping the Cobra T-45 tailhousing on. Unless the T-45 and TR-3650 tails interchange?? Stranger things have happened.

SVT God
    I think this is fairly common knowledge but to illustrate the differences between an SN95 GT and Cobra tranny mount location.

T-45 out of an SN-95 cobra

T-45 out of an SN-95 GT. I also think all New Edge cars 99 & up (GT's and Cobras) share this same location.

I never got a straight answer on why Ford decided to change this on the SN-95 Cobras. Perhaps exhaust or cat converter fitment??

wow, its a good thing you just posted those pictures. i didnt realize the mount difference. i might have to swap tailhousings this weekend.
    98 cobra - novi 2k, forged teksid, stock heads, 2.9" pulley.
    02 2v GT - NA e85 automatic setup in the works!
    10 Taurus SHO - intake and tune DD.

they interchange ive done it. swap the tailhousings of the 3650 and the t-45. i had a cobra t-45 with a broken reverse and fifth gear. i got a a 3650 out of an 02 gt and swapped the tailhousing so the 3650 had the cobra tailhousing and bolts right up

the t45 and tr3650 tail housing are interchangable? i thought they werent?
    SOLD

-JLT RAI, Fidanza alum. flywheel, PMP custom clutch, H&R SS, bilstein, steeda short throw, bumpsteer, x2, MM CC, pmp quadrant and fw adjuster, bbk o/r h, dronemasters, MM SFC, alum. DS, FRPP 4.30, girdle, 31 spline moser, 31 spline termi, diff.

-Waiting for UCA, LCA, NEW WHEELS!!!!!

SVT God
    Quote Originally Posted by 98SVTslobra View Post
    the t45 and tr3650 tail housing are interchangable? i thought they werent?
    More research. The center distance between the mainshaft and the cluster gear is wider than a T-45, this allows bigger gears and more torque capacity. Since the bearing races are in the tailhousings, I don't see how they can interchange. The bearing locations would be off.

96dreamer, sure it was an 02? From what I understand Ford switched from T-45 to TR-3650 mid year 01.

Not trying to steal the thread but would I be able to change tailhousing from my 97 Cobra t-45 to a GT t-45 tailhousing? Would it affect anything?

SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by CJK440 View Post
    More research. The center distance between the mainshaft and the cluster gear is wider than a T-45, this allows bigger gears and more torque capacity. Since the bearing races are in the tailhousings, I don't see how they can interchange. The bearing locations would be off.

96dreamer, sure it was an 02? From what I understand Ford switched from T-45 to TR-3650 mid year 01.
    yea 01 and 1/2 they changed to the 3650....then obv from then to 04...but before 01 and 1/2 they were t45s..so idk

i was told it was out of an 02 i suppose he could have been mistaken

Edit: did some more research on it and seems you guys were right, guess i just took the guys word for it. so if your trying to put a gt tranny in a cobra just switch the tail housings lol
    Last edited by 96dreamer; 03-31-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Rookie SVT Poster
    You r right. You have to relocate the mounting bracket. Cut it from where u have and place it where it will fit the 3650.
    96 Cobra
    2008GT/CS-sold
    2002GT-sold

The clutch's are NOT the same... T45 is a 10.5 inch clutch and the T3650 is a 11 inch.... Another thing to note is ford also had an update on the 3650 in 03/04 and they are much much better. They also have a longer 5th gear which really really helps if you have a steep gear in the rear end
    BABS

SVT God
    Quote Originally Posted by fox5.0 View Post
    The clutch's are NOT the same... T45 is a 10.5 inch clutch and the T3650 is a 11 inch.... Another thing to note is ford also had an update on the 3650 in 03/04 and they are much much better. They also have a longer 5th gear which really really helps if you have a steep gear in the rear end
    Is the input spline count and diameter the same between the two? That is typically the big indicator. If they are the same and the splines engage, what would stop you from using a TR-3650 with a 96-98 Cobra clutch??

ya the 5th gear in the tr3650 is longg!!!!!! 355s to the tr3650 in a 03 mach equals 80 mph at 2050 ish rpms...my t45 with 355s at 80 equals like 2300 i think...sucks

5th in a 3650 is either .62 or 68 as listed per Tremecs site.

5th in a t45 is .67.

Quote Originally Posted by RIO RED SNAKE View Post
    ya the 5th gear in the tr3650 is longg!!!!!! 355s to the tr3650 in a 03 mach equals 80 mph at 2050 ish rpms...my t45 with 355s at 80 equals like 2300 i think...sucks
    Try 4.30s lol

Well this is a good thread. I know now I don't want to rebuild my t45, but go with a newer version of the 3650 atleast for the longer 5th gear.
    -Joe
    97 Cobra Starlight Black Pearl on black

Chassis & Suspension: Subframe Connectors, MM Steering Column Shaft, Alumimum Steering Rack Bushings, Bumpsteer Kit, X2 Balljoints, Caster/Camber Plates, Steeda Superlite Springs, Tokiko Illumina's, J&M Street LCA's, Steeda UCA's with rubber bushings, Steeda Rear Swaybar
    Drivetrain: 3.73's, aluminum driveshaft, Steeda Tri-ax on a Street/Strip T45 from thet45source, 03 cobra clutch, steeda quadrant & firewall adjuster
    Intake/Exhaust: WMS Intake, O/R X, Spintech Sportsman Street 3000's
    ..then COP swap, 1" spacers, 20% tint, shorty antenna, sequentials, clear corners, cobra floormats, Dallas Mustang Speed Cal, and lots of worn out parts that have been replaced...

Quote Originally Posted by CJK440 View Post
    Is the input spline count and diameter the same between the two? That is typically the big indicator. If they are the same and the splines engage, what would stop you from using a TR-3650 with a 96-98 Cobra clutch??
    I mean yeah they are the same spline count and diameter so it will technically work but whats the point really? I would rather put in the right parts so save any problems and possibly having to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by DVJ38 View Post
    Try 4.30s lol

Well this is a good thread. I know now I don't want to rebuild my t45, but go with a newer version of the 3650 atleast for the longer 5th gear.
    Definitely! That or a t56

SVT God
    Quote Originally Posted by fox5.0 View Post
    I mean yeah they are the same spline count and diameter so it will technically work but whats the point really? I would rather put in the right parts so save any problems and possibly having to do it again.
    Saving money is probably the biggest reason. If you have a clutch & flywheel that is problem free in front of a T-45 then why change it? Especially if you spent the money for an aftermarket unit. It will behave the same in front of a 3650.

Now if your clutch is toast or not up to the task of your modded engine, then might be a good time to upgrade to the larger one.
    Last edited by CJK440; 04-02-2010 at 07:57 AM.

Rookie SVT Poster
    Sorry if I'm missing the point concerning all this tailhousing swapping.

When I installed the 4V Cobra/T45 into a '94 Chassis, I simply drilled new holes into the unibody horn/rails and re-installed.

you should not have to change nothing but your tranny cross member to fit it in everything else lines up drive shaft and all
    mystic#519,bbk longtubes, cai, gears, 4r70w swap, imrc delete, sotex racecar controll arms, aluminum driveshaft,