Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Illegal to tape/record a police officer?

I've always been wondering this, and it wasn't till I saw the news story of the biker that got pulled over by the plain cloths officer that I finally thought I'd ask. Is it illegal to video tape/voice record a police officer in a traffic stop? Is it illegal only if you don't ask for consent?

Insane SVT Poster
    All parties must agree on the recording. An ofc can record without consent if it is part of an investigation.
    -Kyle
    '90 LX Coupe 5.0 - SSP, DSO 83 - US Govt car

Depends on the state where you live. Some places require only one party consent, some require both.

How do the guys that are taping the Arizona officers looking for profiling get away with it then? As far as I know, they do it randomly and don't have consent of either party involved in the stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by txyaloo View Post
    Who cares if it's a website. You look like an illiterate fool who crawled out of some male prostitute's asshole and somehow learned how to turn on a computer. It takes no extra ****ing time to communicate properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by WireEater View Post
    That's racist. Why doesn't crackers get filtered out but ****** does?

Well I guess I can't put ******s on my soup but it's still racist!

Rookie SVT Poster
    That about just audio? I believe recording just audio is legal correct? Video I know has different stipulations though...

Quote Originally Posted by zerocool View Post
    How do the guys that are taping the Arizona officers looking for profiling get away with it then? As far as I know, they do it randomly and don't have consent of either party involved in the stop.
    In the majority of jurisdictions, taping is okay if done in an area where one wouldn't have any expectation of privacy.

Oh, the humanity of it all. FordSVTFan's Avatar
    AS pointed out above it all comes down to an R.E.P. (reasonable expectation of privacy). If there are two parties and they have a reasonable expectation of privacy then you need to determine if you are in a two party consent state. Also, as point out above, some states require only the knowledge of one party, while other states require the knowledge of both parties.

In the state of Florida it is a felony to record a private conversation without the permission of both parties where there is an R.E.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FordSVTFan
    If being STUPID doesnt hurt, it should!

I pretend to be a cop Lawfficer's Avatar
    If you are in public, you have no expectation of privacy as a citizen or as a police officer. it's perfectly fine to record/tape whatever, as long as you do in such a fashion that it does not interfer with the officers work.
    Last edited by Lawfficer; 05-24-2010 at 08:19 AM.
    This is my Signature. Read it and weep.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawfficer View Post
    If you are in public, you have no expectation of privacy as a citizen or as a police officer.
    That is not accurate. Just because you are in a public area does not mean you dont have an R.E.P.

For instance, if you and another person are in a public park and no one is around and the parties are talking in a normal conversant tone, there would be every reason to believe the conversation would not be overheard and therefore a R.E.P. exists.

Quote Originally Posted by FordSVTFan View Post
    That is not accurate. Just because you are in a public area does not mean you dont have an R.E.P.

For instance, if you and another person are in a public park and no one is around and the parties are talking in a normal conversant tone, there would be every reason to believe the conversation would not be overheard and therefore a R.E.P. exists.
    True, you could make an arguement to this point. But im not talking about using technology past what the general public has access to like a laser mic or N.S.A. satelites. Im more referring to a moron on the side of the road with a handi-cam or something along those lines and i believe that what the op was referring.

I would point out though, if you are in a public park... you could argue it the other way too.
    Last edited by Lawfficer; 05-23-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LS2GTO View Post
    I've always been wondering this, and it wasn't till I saw the news story of the biker that got pulled over by the plain cloths officer that I finally thought I'd ask. Is it illegal to video tape/voice record a police officer in a traffic stop? Is it illegal only if you don't ask for consent?
    So if I get pulled by a police officer, can I taped the conversation between me and police officer-he will have his/her camera on recording the stop and if necessary evidence for his case. So can I do the same thing or is it illegal?
    Posi Ported Blower
    2.6 Upper and Lowered Pulley
    VMP 67 TB
    VMP Ported Elbow
    JLT Air Filter
    VMP Custom Tune
    Lethal's High Flow Cats and SVT1's
    AFCO HE, Dynotech DS, SLP LL, LCA's, R Brackets

We get recorded by Hells Angels, what ever who cares let them tape stuff no skin off our backs. In fact if any LEO's have had encounters with especially Hells Angels it common practice for them to audio tape you almost always and sometimes video. They love the audio though because they can conceal it without u knowing your being taped.

I pulled a full patch over a few weeks back and asked him if I was gonna make it on You Tube, he wasnt amused.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krwy View Post
    All parties must agree on the recording.
    That is not true here in WV. Legal people have been asked this in our area. As long as one person knows there is a tape recorder recording the conversation it is legal. The reason behind this. How do you think undercover TAPED drug transactions stand up in the court of law. If the drug dealer knew of the tape they would not open their mouth. I know this is true for WV not for sure in your state.

The reason we/I know this is a situation that occurred in our church. Someone secretly taped a conversation. But since the person that recorded the conversation knew about the recorder it was legal.

If this is wrong I would like to know because the local LE has said it is perfectly legal.

OBTW. Adam great answer and you to Lawfficer.

RCMPSVT. I'll bet you made his day. When we vacationed in Ontario at our house up there every summer there used to be a motorcycle group called Satan's Choice. I never saw so many motorcycles in my life. They had a farm about 5 -6 miles up the road from us and they would pass by, in groups of 5 for like 24 consecutive hours or more. I never seen anything like it since. Just be careful messing around with some of those gangs.
    Last edited by wvmystichrome; 05-24-2010 at 07:39 AM.
    2004 Mystichrome Cobra #848.

Quote Originally Posted by kent1 View Post
    So if I get pulled by a police officer, can I taped the conversation between me and police officer-he will have his/her camera on recording the stop and if necessary evidence for his case. So can I do the same thing or is it illegal?
    Unless you were driving inside the Hoffman Building's, a nuclear missle silo, or The Whitehouse, you should be fine.

Put it through the Girl Scout Test. If a girl scout wondering around selling cookies could see it, then it's in public and there is no REP. If there is no REP, you are fine.

The problem comes into play when idiots are filming from public places, into private places. Like people crawling onto their roof in order to film the neighbor in the shower, etc... This is where most of the challenges to REP come from, situations like this. Again, girl scout test. Can a girl scout crawl on your roof and try to sell cookies?

True, you could make an arguement to this point. But im not talking about using technology past what the general public has access to like a laser mic or N.S.A. satelites. Im more referring to a moron on the side of the road with a handi-cam or something along those lines and i believe that what the op was referring.

I would point out though, if you are in a public park... you could argue it the other way too.
    You could try that but there is case law that goes against that argument.

Another classic example is the restaurant booth versus and open table. There is case law that a private booth away from other customers in a public restaurant does afford the parties an R.E.P.

I found this and thought it was a good breakdown for everyone interested.

While the U.S. federal law only requires one-party consent, many states have accepted different laws. A 1950's U.S. Supreme Court case held that Federal Law does not supersede State law in this arena.

States Requiring One Party Notification

Alabama
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Colorado
    District Of Columbia
    Georgia
    Hawaii
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Minnesota
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    Nebraska
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Ohio
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Vermont
    Virginia
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

States Requiring Two Party Notification

California
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    Florida
    Massachusetts
    Maryland
    Michigan
    Montana

Rookie SVT Poster
    So if I get pulled over in CA and I want to record the stop, I must tell the officer right away that I am recording? That being said, what if the officer declines consent? I need to turn off the recording device?

Notification and consent are two different things!
    2010 Toyota Prius --- FML
    2009 Nissan GTR --- Sold
    2008 Shelby GT500 --- Sold
    2007 Corvette --- Sold
    2006 Viper --- Sold
    2006 Trailblazer SS --- Sold

Speaking of the Devil..... WHAT A crock of $h!T!!!!

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

If I were this guy, I would challenge this until the end of time. This is the slipperly slope of making it ileagle to record the police(gov't) doing anything. Even if the state courts uphold the conviction, I would keep appealing it as i'm sure SCOTUS would be more than happy to issue an opinion on the matter in the other direction.

If they seized the computers etc as evidence of a crime that is one thing. However, seizing it under the two-party consent law is complete non-sense as I'm sure this is not what the spirit of the law was when it was drafted/passed.
    Last edited by Lawfficer; 05-26-2010 at 08:11 AM.

^^ That was the story that inspired me to make this thread. I guess since he's in Maryland he needs the 2 notification rule.

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LS2GTO View Post
    ^^ That was the story that inspired me to make this thread. I guess since he's in Maryland he needs the 2 notification rule.

If thats the story I think it is, in that state you can't record the police. Its not a 2 party thing, its the law.

New York is a one party notification state, but the statute only applies to "wiretapping, mechanical overhearing of a conversation, or intercepting or accessing of an electronic communication".

In New York photographing and video recording in a public place is permissible. New York does have an unlawful surveillance statute but it only applies to a place and time when a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy which is defined as "a place and time when a reasonable person would believe that he or she could fully disrobe in privacy."

So, in answer to the OP, in New York you can record a traffic stop without the LEO's permission or knowledge.
    Last edited by COBRA_ESQ; 05-27-2010 at 08:28 AM.

2003 Black/Black/Parchment Cobra Convertible - "1 of 68"

If you are in public, you have no expectation of privacy as a citizen or as a police officer. it's perfectly fine to record/tape whatever, as long as you do in such a fashion that it does not interfer with the officers work.
    Not in MD.

OP if you're talking about that guy on a bike on youtube recording msp, yes they can technically charge him with tape recording the stop, however its being asinine IMO. He wasn't setting out to record the stop, it just kinda happened. But whatever, yes its illegal in MD without getting both parties consent
    The above post does not in any way represent the view of my workplace. It is a personal view only.
    B6 Audi A4 USP. ST coilovers, Miro 111 wheels, Boser hood, stage 1.5 tune. And a sound system 07 CBR600RR blue/silver, two brothers exhaust, flush mount turn signals, frame sliders, tinted windscreen. Rider mod.

Crazy SVT Poster
    Speaking of the Devil..... WHAT A crock of $h!T!!!!

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

If I were this guy, I would challenge this until the end of time. This is the slipperly slope of making it ileagle to record the police(gov't) doing anything. If if the state courts uphold it, keep appealing it as im sure SCOTUS would be more than happy to issue an opinion in the other direction.

If they seized the computers etc as evidence of a crime that is one thing, however, seizing it under the two-party consent law is complete non-sense. I'm sure this is not what the spirit of the law was when it was drafted/passed.
    Wow! That is some scary stuff for just filming!!

Quote Originally Posted by kent1 View Post
    Wow! That is some scary stuff for just filming!!
    It wasn't the filming that got him in trouble. That occurred when he decided to be cute and post it to Youtube...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast