Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Rookie SVT Poster G-Force's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    144

    Long Tube Headers - Pros/Cons

    I am thinking about buying a set of Kooks LT headers for my Shelby. Does anyone have any issues running LT headers only without any additional upgrades such as ported TB or use of larger size blowers? I have heard from other Terminator owners that the addition of LT headers has yielded negative power results, but wanted to see if this was the case with others who may have tried this.
    09' GT500 #437/524 in Torch Red and #2615/3004 coupes
    Previous Muscle Cars: '05 GTO, '93 Coupe, '89 GT & '86 GT


  2. #2
    Mr. The Squirrel hollowch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    384
    There have been a number of threads regarding the pros and cons of long/short tube headers. Do a search Bro Namath

  3. #3
    Rookie SVT Poster G-Force's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    144
    I understand the trade offs between shorties and LT's. I was more interested in seeing if anyone had any issues or regrets with running LT's vs. keeping the factory setup.

  4. #4
    Corn Powered 900 HP! stkjock's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,236
    go ARH! good pick up in power and less boost
    Sold - 06 Vert GT - Vortech H.O. S/C, Tuned by Realspeed - 1320 -11.49 @ 121.45 - Gone but not forgotten


    2008 Shelby GT500 - L&M Built Motor - 4.0L Whipple - Lund Racing Tuned - E85 Powered

  5. #5
    "Is That Thing Stock...." 09Troublemaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2008
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    6,152
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
    I understand the trade offs between shorties and LT's. I was more interested in seeing if anyone had any issues or regrets with running LT's vs. keeping the factory setup.
    love my kooks--no regrets here or issues


    2014= SVTPP=Recaro=Glass Roof=Nav=Shaker Pro

  6. #6
    Which ones have to be removed to work on the trans? If you leave them on, how are the clearance issues to work on the trans (clutch, etc)? Aren't some significantly easier to work with than others?


    www.2008GT500.blogspot.com detailed list of mods and associated pics
    2013 TVS powered
    Griggs torque arm
    Widened Alcoa's

  7. #7
    Crazy SVT Poster Kostas's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Which ones have to be removed to work on the trans? If you leave them on, how are the clearance issues to work on the trans (clutch, etc)? Aren't some significantly easier to work with than others?
    My AR headers were removed for clutch installation. Not sure if it was done to make the clutch installation easier, or becouse there was no room and had to be done....

  8. #8
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    January 2008
    Location
    St. Simons Is. GA.
    Posts
    426
    Recent articles in both major mustang magazines show about a 4/5% increase in hp/tq.
    That cost about $1,800.00. Is it worth $1,800.00 for a 4/5% increase in hp/tq. For me it was, the folks at Kennie Bell don’t think it is and discourage there use. (They sell New Blowers) Tom@ARH just installed a set of there headers on his new stock GT500 and gained 20hp & 28tq with the stock Mufflers. (4/5%) [Tom sells headers but he don’t discourage the use of different blowers] The more Engine mods the more I think they must help.
    2007 Shelby GT500 Vert, Performance White.
    -Mods-
    American Racing Long Tube Headers~3" Full Exhaust Catless X pipes~2.6 Pulley and Idler
    JLT Intake ~Evolution Stage 4 Tune~AFCO Heat Exchanger
    BMR Carbon fiber DS !1:3.73s~Steeda UCA & LCAs
    Proglass/Profinish Cold Air Hood~Aeroform Sport Bar~35,958 miles in 29 months.
    All mods installed by owner
    Best 1/4 mile, 11.491 ~Best 60', 1.7.38 ~Best 1/4 MPH 123.33

  9. #9
    I wouldnt recommend LT headers to anyone who doesnt have a KB/Whipple/TVS. The price and difficult install make it questionable in my mind for anyone not looking to make 700rwhp+. Its just too easy to make 500-600rwhp with the factory manifolds and factory cats. Many also find it difficult to get the exhaust note they are looking for with long tubes.

  10. #10
    Devil Dog Robertt305's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,293
    Dynotech don't have to be removed for trans removal

  11. #11
    SVT God skyhighsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2007
    Location
    over here
    Posts
    3,027
    If you are going to do LT's why not buy full length and not mid length like kooks, I would not do any that are not full length. Like Robertt305 said dnyotech's do not need to come off for the trans and the install is not near as bad as people say, did mine a few weeks back and they are no where near as bad as I thought it would be.

  12. #12
    Insane SVT Poster bpmurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by mobeydick View Post
    Recent articles in both major mustang magazines show about a 4/5% increase in hp/tq.
    That cost about $1,800.00. Is it worth $1,800.00 for a 4/5% increase in hp/tq. For me it was, the folks at Kennie Bell don’t think it is and discourage there use. (They sell New Blowers) Tom@ARH just installed a set of there headers on his new stock GT500 and gained 20hp & 28tq with the stock Mufflers. (4/5%) [Tom sells headers but he don’t discourage the use of different blowers] The more Engine mods the more I think they must help.
    Remember that 2011 is bone stock as well. There has been no tuning done. With a good tune it might yield better results.

  13. #13
    Rookie SVT Poster G-Force's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    144
    Thanks for the great insights everyone. I knew there were two camps to this one. I also considered just buying the 3" Bassani catted system, but they complete setup with mufflers costs more than a set of coated headers with catted x-pipe. Anyone try that setup other than 5.0 magazine?

  14. #14
    Killed by Death ZOMBEAST's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2008
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Which ones have to be removed to work on the trans? If you leave them on, how are the clearance issues to work on the trans (clutch, etc)? Aren't some significantly easier to work with than others?
    In the process of installing some ARH 1 7/8". You will not be able to drop the trans with the headers bolted on. IMO, I think you can get away with just loosening up the driver's side. If not, you may also have to loosen the passenger side. I would like to here from any mechanics on this. There are no other clearance issues, unless you lower the engine 1/2". I was under the impression that this was addressed by ARH, but apparently not since these were purchased directly from ARH about 6 weeks ago. I had to dimple one primary tube. Not really a big deal. You just have to be prepared to do it.

    BTW, these were Swain coated and then painted with VHT.

    Last edited by ZOMBEAST; 06-07-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    '09 GT500 Coupe w/VMP TVS

    Tuned by Kevin Hand of Wicked Motorsports in Tom's River, NJ

    SAE 750 rwhp, 751 rwtq

    Best E.T to date with 18" drag radials:
    60' 1.799
    1/8 6.876 @ 108.91
    1/4 10.481 @ 138.58
    Vid: http://youtu.be/SMoNZSQ1oB8

  15. #15
    SVT God skyhighsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2007
    Location
    over here
    Posts
    3,027
    Mike did you try to move the motor over before you dimpled the tube?

  16. #16
    Killed by Death ZOMBEAST's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2008
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhighsd View Post
    Mike did you try to move the motor over before you dimpled the tube?
    Brian, I couldn't move it at all with the BMR engine lowering k-member. Between Ford and BMR's tolerances, there was no movement possible. The only possible alternative I could see would be to take out some of the holes on the engine mount brackets. I think a 1/4 inch on the driver's side of each bracket would do the trick. This way the motor could be pushed to the passenger side. I'm not sure if this issue exists on the 1 3/4" headers.

    Before I bolted the rack in, I checked it and found the some dimpling was required. I used a marker so I wouldn't go overboard. I'm happy with how it went.

  17. #17
    SVT God skyhighsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2007
    Location
    over here
    Posts
    3,027
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBEAST View Post
    Brian, I couldn't move it at all with the BMR engine lowering k-member. Between Ford and BMR's tolerances, there was no movement possible. The only possible alternative I could see would be to take out some of the holes on the engine mount brackets. I think a 1/4 inch on the driver's side of each bracket would do the trick. This way the motor could be pushed to the passenger side. I'm not sure if this issue exists on the 1 3/4" headers.

    Before I bolted the rack in, I checked it and found the some dimpling was required. I used a marker so I wouldn't go overboard. I'm happy with how it went.
    I see, I didnt have that issue with the racecraft k member but there mounts are way different then bmr. I did take a die grinder to my motor mount brackets but that was for a different reason. Good to see you got it together

  18. #18
    Insane SVT Poster monX's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by blueovalkid View Post
    I wouldnt recommend LT headers to anyone who doesnt have a KB/Whipple/TVS. The price and difficult install make it questionable in my mind for anyone not looking to make 700rwhp+. Its just too easy to make 500-600rwhp with the factory manifolds and factory cats. Many also find it difficult to get the exhaust note they are looking for with long tubes.
    This.
    Terminate the discussion

  19. #19
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    August 2009
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    160
    I also installed a set of ARH 1-7/8 that were coated by Jet-Hot about a week ago. If you have the Lethal lowering kit which I do, you will need to bang on the primaries so that they will not contact the steering shaft. Not a big deal like someone already mentioned but it is a necessity.
    2010 GT500
    Black w/ Silver stripes
    HiD's, NAVI, Car cover

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBEAST View Post

    BTW, these were Swain coated and then painted with VHT.

    Nice, you'll love the Swain...far better than the other stuff out there.

  21. #21
    Crazy SVT Poster strongs_2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2010
    Location
    Daytona Beach FL
    Posts
    183
    I have the full 3" Bassani catted system on mine. it is loud and you have to take the headers off to do the trans or clutch. And each header tube is its own piece and can make it alittle harder to do. But I love them.

    2007 Shleby GT500 - Car Videos on StreetFire

    Here is a video with it on on the dyno, track and street so you can gt a idea if you like them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •