SVT God

Squeaky blower belt

I had a sqeaky blower belt before and bought a brand new gates micro V. I removed what pullies I could to clean and scuff them and scuffed whatever pullies I couldn't remove to deglaze them. Belt was quiet at first but now I got it again!! Annoying as heck. It does go away after extended warm up though.

Any tricks to quieting it down other than trying a new belt? They are not cheap.
    '04 GT- MM Max Grip box- Autocross car

are you certain your pulleys are all in alignment? my poorly aligned pulleys chafed the belt and caused it to squeak. i was ~1/8" out of alignment.

i replaced the idlers, replaced the belt, fixed the alignment, in that order and the alignment is what stopped the squeaking.

i ran dayco poly-cogs and poly-rib belts. the poly-rib sucks compared to the cog.
    98 cobra - novi 2k, forged teksid, stock heads, 2.9" pulley.
    02 2v GT - NA e85 automatic setup in the works!
    10 Taurus SHO - intake and tune DD.

SVT God
    IIRC there are only 4 factory pulleys that align the belt via ribs. The Crank, alt, PS and A/C and I don't think any of those are easily adjustable and not sure why there would be an issue anyway.

My blower pulley has ribs of course and it is obviously not OE Ford, I think it wouldn't be too hard to adjust. I'll have to take a look and see what the scoop is. The idlers and the water pump pulleys are all flat where the back of the belt rides and I am not sure how pulley alignment matters on those unless its grossly out of position (ie belt hanging off).

What did you have to correct on your setup??? And other than eyeballing the pulleys, is there a good method to determine whats out?

Premium Member
    Are you sure that is the belt and not a pulley making the noise?

1997 Cobra - 336rwhp/298tq, 03 Aviator long block with a few mods and a built IRS with 4:56's My build thread - http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-97-cobra.html

well my setup is different but same idea. i had a non oem alternator pulley that wasnt aligned properly with the blower. so the edge of the pulley would chew up the belt and wouldve eventually led to belt failure. i dont even know where the alternator is in a b headed KB setup, under the power steering pump??

to make sure everything was close i used a straight edge on the face of the pulleys to check everything. the only pulley i had out of spec was the alternator pulley.

SVT God
    Quote Originally Posted by FI-Cobra View Post
    Are you sure that is the belt and not a pulley making the noise?
    Its possible. I had a used belt that was making noise and as I mentioned above, I deglazed all the pullies when I threw on a new belt and it was quiet. It was only when I had to rinse off some PS fluid after I put a new steering rack on that it started chirping again.

I'll diagnose it tonight. A little water or quick shot of brake cleaner will tell me if its the belt or a bearing. I'm hoping its just an alignment issue with my procharger. It shouldn't be too hard to shim the bracket to fix it.

I have had this problem. Do you drive your car much? Mine went away once I drove it for longer periods. I went through 3 belts in the process.
    Chris98vobra
    98 Tan on Laser Red Rag Top Cobra

The Beast
    Fully built and forged with Mahle pistons, ported heads/nitrated valves, Novi 2000, 52# RC injectors, custom IC, SSR Intake, Steeda rails and -8 feed lines, 03 tank + Aviator dual pumps
    Tuned with SCT Pro Racer Package (and everything else over the years)
    Lot's of other stuff!

Heres what I found a while back.
    Home
    Reichard Racing

I've run both of those (run the carbinite one now). My squeak came from the alternator pulley.

Quote Originally Posted by CJK440 View Post
    I'm hoping its just an alignment issue with my procharger.
    im an idiot. i thought you had a kenne bell. ha.

SVT God
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris98vobra View Post
    My squeak came from the alternator pulley.
    Was it out of alignment? Or a problem with the pulley or bearings?

Quote Originally Posted by CJK440 View Post
    I had a sqeaky blower belt before and bought a brand new gates micro V. I removed what pullies I could to clean and scuff them and scuffed whatever pullies I couldn't remove to deglaze them. Belt was quiet at first but now I got it again!! Annoying as heck. It does go away after extended warm up though.

Any tricks to quieting it down other than trying a new belt? They are not cheap.
    I had the same problem with Gates belt, the sqeaking was driving me crazy. I switched to Gatorbacl and the problem was solved..

SOLD

SVT God
    I poked around a bit. The alt and blower pulley were offset a bit. Since there is only an idler between the two I figured I'd fix that first. After a bunch of attempts I noticed the belt alignment was spot on with just the top two out of three blower bracket nuts tightend. Once I socked down the lower one, it tweaked it all out. Simply installing a washer between the bracket and the block fixed that.

Fired it up and there was no squeak. I'll see after an extended journey if its really gone.

SVT God
    It didn't take long to come back. Annoying as hell. One thing I notice is it is noisy at idle all the way up in the RPM band but as it gets hotter it the RPM where it starts increases. Pull out of my garage in the AM and its noisy idling at a light but 20 mins away and its quiet up until a little over 2000 rpm.

I'm starting to think its not a belt issue but a bearing issue.

Well if it is the belt you might try yet another replacement. I concluded it was a combination of not driving the car for long enough periods and that my Gates belt was old and hard. These can sit around on the shelf for a long time. When I finally got a new one that was noticably softer the problem disappeared completely.

SVT God
    Well I am getting a little fed up with it. I put a new tensioner and idler on thinking it might be the bearings. I replaced my alternator bearings too. Still have the squeal.

I guess the next best thing is to try a different brand belt..... Probably a cogged design.

SVT God
    Did some more investigation on pulley alignment and used Dayco's troubleshooting suggestions to check. I layed a straightedge across my harmonic balancer as the "master" and used a caliper to measure to the same pulley rib on all the pullies. What I found was the alt, A/C compressor and PS pump were all about a 1/2 rib too far forward. My blower pulley can't be measured this way but its in-line with the alt pulley.

Anyway, since all those accesories are not really adjustable I decided to pull the balancer and throw a .045" shim I made out of a steel washer behind it to pull the balancer out to align with the others. Now it checks out good.

My belt chirp issue started with the new shortblock. Perhaps the shoulder on the snout of the crank was off a bit.

We'll try it again and see whats what.......

SVT God
    It is with great joy that I respply to myself again.

Squeak seems to be gone. Pulling the balancer into alignment seemed to do the trick once and for all. Still using the old gates belt that squeaked before.