Rookie SVT Poster

New Rims on an old car?

I can't fit the new style mustang rims on my 68. There are some clearance issues. The center of the rim on a new mustang is way out towards the outside of the rim almost and the old style is more towards the middle. Do I have to special order them? Anybody run into this problem before?

Run a wheel spacers.
    66 Mustang Coupe, Vortech, 408 Clevor, Viper T56, Cobra IRS (BOSS408)
    66 Mustang Coupe, SN-95 Chassis, 03 Cobra drivetrain/suspension (SN66)
    03 Cobra (donor car)

Rookie SVT Poster
    Nice. Yea I was thinking about getting custom wheels because there are a few companies out there that make awesome rims and will make them for any car. So because you swapped the rear suspension with a IRS you only had to put spacers in the front?

Quote Originally Posted by K_Labs View Post
    So because you swapped the rear suspension with a IRS you only had to put spacers in the front?
    Yes, because the IRS was wider than the original rear end, it pretty much took up that space and then some. If I used the original SRA I would need the same size spacers in the rear to run the 03 Cobra wheels.

Hillclimbers do it better NJ 03Mach1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by latamud View Post
    Do you have details anywhere on the IRS install in this car? I'd like to see how ya did it.. Have my eye's on a 66 and would LOVE to have an IRS in it..
    Sold, but not forgotten!

Hill Climb Videos
    Become a Hillclimber!
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    you are bullshit. everything you say, do, or post is bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ 03Mach1 View Post
    Do you have details anywhere on the IRS install in this car? I'd like to see how ya did it.. Have my eye's on a 66 and would LOVE to have an IRS in it..
    HubGarage.com - Where Car People Connect

Another Cobra IRS swap LOTS OF BIG PICS! - Vintage Mustang Forums

If you like that check out my OTHER 66 with IRS bolt in.
    http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/vehicles/36397
    Last edited by latamud; 09-13-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Motorsports = Expensive! fire_4_effect's Avatar
    i'm not digging the look... but whatever rocks your ride is cool with me.
    Sig pic removed by staff. SHRINK IT

Quote Originally Posted by fire_4_effect View Post
    i'm not digging the look... but whatever rocks your ride is cool with me.
    It's not done yet. But I understand the flares aren't for everyone. I think I did alright considering naturally the wides tire that will fit tucked is a 245. Give me some time to work out the SN-66. I'm going a different route with the wide body, all steel box flares.

i had to use a 1" spacer in the front and a 1.25" spacer in the rear on mine (it's a maverick but it's the same setup)....

2013 Mustang GT 5.0/6sp GHIG 3.73
    2002 Ford F250 SD Ext cab Powerstroke 4x4, Black
    SOLD: '03 Mach 1, '01 Bullitt, '94 GT -wrecked-, (2) '94 GT's, '95 GT, (2) '94 Cobra's, '71 Maverick Rest-O-Mod, '88 LX, '90 LX

Here's test fit of my 19x10 Saleens

Don't have pics up yet but my blue 66 Mustang is getting a set of these:

This is exactly what I have been looking for. I have a 03 cobra and my buddie has a 1972 fastback mustang. I just switched rims on my cobra to the OEM 03 Cobra chrome wheels, And i gave my buddie my Factory OEM machined 03 cobra wheels for his 1972 fastback. I know its not going to be a direct bolt on, but at least we know its possible!! Thank you for posting this. Also, he was thinking of purchasing the 17x10.5's from AFSwheels.com for the back and running the factory 17x9's up front. Cant wait to see if everything will come together.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT1994 View Post
    i had to use a 1" spacer in the front and a 1.25" spacer in the rear on mine (it's a maverick but it's the same setup)....

Wow, I love your Maverick. I really miss seeing these old rare cars. I saw one for sale 5 miles from where I lived a couple years back, and went back to get a second look a week later it was gone!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwood1982 View Post
    Wow, I love your Maverick. I really miss seeing these old rare cars. I saw one for sale 5 miles from where I lived a couple years back, and went back to get a second look a week later it was gone!
    I don't know that they'd be considered rare, old yes, but rare...not so much, other then most have beem recycled into something else.
    LAST DYNO 473 RWHP/480 LBS TORQUE
    LAST TRACK TIME 12.28 @113
    NOS DYNO 538 RWHP/577 LBS TORQUE
    NOS TRACK 12.004 @ 120
    BORN ON 3/11/03
    #2841 OF 5082
    Sig pic removed by SVTP Staff. Shrink it.