MATH/STATS NERDS!!! Puzzle

Let me preface this by saying this is not a homework problem. This is a YEAR long debate amongst my friends, my fiance, and myself. It started last year when my fiance, then GF, bought 4 squares on a 10x10 super bowl "board" at work. Along the top numbers 0-9 were written and team "X". Along the side numbers 0-9 were written and team "y". At the end of each quarter the teams score would be used to pick a winner on the board. Only the last number of each score would be used. So a score of 7-7, 17-7, 27-27, or 17-17 would all yield the same winner. Also, you can win more than 1 quarter if there is no score change, or a teams score increases by some multiple of 10. Now, assuming that any score is likely, and one isn't more favorable than the other, what are the odds that she would win at least 1 time, by the end of the game?

My rough estimate, of winning one event by the end of the night was 16 in 100. I know to do it properly you actually calculate the odds of NOT winning, then extrapolate that over 4 events. I think this estimate is relatively close though. Essentially, she, and everyone else at the super bowl party, believed that because the winners name is put back in for each quarterly drawing, that your odds stayed the same for the OVERALL likely hood of winning. She stated that they could play 100 quarters of football, have a drawing after each quarter, and the OVERALL likely hood of winning is still 4 in 100. My argument is that more drawings, increases your likely hood, even if the winner of quarter 1 is eligible to win quarter 2.

So who's right? Anyone got any formulas I can use to back up my claim, or am I dead wrong?
    Last edited by Silver03Termi; 01-25-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pic courtesy of wyldfantasies, check out his youtube page

SOLD-03 Cobra-whippled and e85 665hp/650ftlb

Turbonetics Super 60 08 Busa
    Rotated 30r '08 Subaru STi

E=mc2, that's all you need to know.
    "Initial Success or Total Failure"

oh, squares were 50$ each, and she won the final quarter. Pay out was:
    1st quarter- $1000
    2nd quarter- $1000
    3rd quarter- $1000
    4th quarter- $2000

Ok so you're saying that you can potentially win all four quarters?

You have 4 combinations out of 100.

There are 4 quarters.

16 combinations out of 400.

Still 4/100 chance.

Here is the probability formula, don't have a calculator in front of me so whatever this equals to is your answer...

1-((1-.01)x(1-.01)x(1-.01)x(1-.01))= ???
    2004 Mystichrome Cobra, 1 of 515

Quote Originally Posted by SCcobra4me View Post
    Here is the probability formula, don't have a calculator in front of me so whatever this equals to is your answer...

1-((1-.01)x(1-.01)x(1-.01)x(1-.01))= ???
    shouldnt it be (1-.04) because she has 4 squares?

No, you take the probability of her winning each quarter, I forgot to mention you multiply the answer by 100 to get the %.

The answer comes to 3.94% so yeah basically 4 out of 100 but with football pools they figure it differently because certain numbers have a greater probability of hitting like 0,3,7, etc. There's a goofy chart if you google "probability of winning a football pool".

Besides that, nice win she had, maybe she'll throw a little sumpin your way for the Cobra, lol.
    Last edited by SCcobra4me; 01-25-2011 at 08:02 PM.

No, you take the probability of her winning each quarter, I forgot to mention you multiply the answer by 100 to get the %.
    the probability of her winning each quarter is 4/100, not 1/100, because she has 4 of the 100 squares.

this thread makes my head hurt

At the absolute basest form, 4/100 each quarter. For all 4 quarters, multiply both. 16/400. Reduce. There's the odds for winning at least one quarter.

Now to win all 4 quarters you'd need to multiply the percentage just like SCCobra4Me did.

Now this is also not taking into account the odds for each number, as mentioned above, like 0, 3, 7, etc. Those throw an additional layer into the mix that I don't want to think about.

*Edit - I just though of this after re-reading your post. If there are only limited number of people playing your odds go significantly up if the rules state that there is always a winner (i.e. If no one picked the winning number it would default to the closest bet). However, if no one wins and there are no rule provisions then the odds are still ~4/100.
    Last edited by ShadowFist; 01-25-2011 at 08:23 PM.

The answer comes to 3.94% so yeah basically 4 out of 100 but with football pools they figure it differently because certain numbers have a greater probability of hitting like 0,3,7, etc. There's a goofy chart if you google "probability of winning a football pool".

Besides that, nice win she had, maybe she'll throw a little sumpin your way for the Cobra, lol.
    she has a 4 in 100, of winning any of the quarters. You're saying that her odds, are worse over the duration of all 4 quarters? Are you sure you didnt calculate the odds of her winning all 4 drawings? Lets use your formula to calculate the odds of her losing all 4 quarters. Her odds of winning will be whats left over...right?
    Last edited by Silver03Termi; 01-25-2011 at 08:24 PM.

According to his math (I'm too lazy to check it) there is a 3.94% chance to win each quarter. Since the quarters do not change the variables, each one can be considered independent and the same chance of winning applies for each. Now if you wanted to say (as an example) 'what are the odds of her winning just the FIRST quarter, and none of the rest', then the odds would go down significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver03Termi View Post
    she has a 4 in 100, of winning any of the quarters. You're saying that her odds, are worse over the duration of all 4 quarters? Are you sure you didnt calculate the odds of her winning all 4 drawings? Lets use your formula to calculate the odds of her losing all 4 quarters. Her odds of winning will be whats left over...right?
    My bad, didn't see she bought 4, only was thinking one so she's at 15.1% roughly

1-((1-.04)x(1-.04)x(1-.04)x(1-.04))=.1506??

So even with the formula, it's still what you would think for the most part, 4% each quarter and add them up.
    Last edited by SCcobra4me; 01-25-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFist View Post
    According to his math (I'm too lazy to check it) there is a 3.94% chance to win each quarter. Since the quarters do not change the variables, each one can be considered independent and the same chance of winning applies for each. Now if you wanted to say (as an example) 'what are the odds of her winning just the FIRST quarter, and none of the rest', then the odds would go down significantly.
    yes, but the odds of her winning 1 of the 4 should be roughly 4 times the odds of winning just 1.

My bad, didn't see she bought 4, only was thinking one so she's at 15.1% roughly

1-((1-.04)x(1-.04)x(1-.04)x(1-.04))=.1506??

So even with the formula, it's still a what you would think for the most part, 4% each quarter and add them up.
    winner.

Last edited by cobracide; 01-25-2011 at 08:43 PM.

2003 Cobra
    Zinc Yellow
    ===========

Air Induction - JLT Carbon Fiber Ram Air, Amsoil EaAu4090 filter, Dragon Throttle Body, Posi ported Dragon Plenum
    Supercharger - Posi Ported Eaton Supercharger 16.5 pounds of boost
    Cooling - 170* Reische Performance Thermostat, Lethal Performance Intercooler Coolant Reservoir, Afco Pro Series Heat Exchanger, LDC Head Cooling Mod
    Drivetrain - Tremec 26 spline input shaft, McLeod RST Twin Disk Clutch, McLeod Steel Flywheel, Fiore Micro-Click Firewall Adjuster, Level 2 T56 upgrade w/bronze pads, McLeod Clutch Quadrant, LPW Differential Cover, Billet Throwout Bearing Sleeve, LubeLocker Differential Gasket, MGW Shifter
    Fuel System - Dual Ford GT Pumps, Fore Dual Pump Hat, Sieman-Deka 63lb injectors, Dual FPDM, 8 gauge power wire upgrade
    Monitoring - Dual Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges with SOS A-Pillar Gauge Pod with Raptor Shift Light, 3.5 bar Map Sensor, Hilton 16# Boost Overlay
    Exhaust - JBA 1 5/8" Headers, Borla 14858 Catback, MRT catted H-pipe
    Braking - 10th Anniversary Front Brake Calipers, G2 Painted Rear Brake Calipers, Hawk HPS brake pads, Russell Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Full Tilt Boogie Racing Heavy Duty Front Rotors FT8000HD, Rear Rotors FT8200
    Suspension - Maximum Motorsports XL Subframes, Maximum Motorsports Chrome Caster Camber Plates, Maximum Motorsports Valved Bilstein Sport Shocks and Struts, Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda Differential Bushings, Maximum Motorsports Rear Spring Isolators
    Pulleys - 2.90 Reichard Racing Non-slip Supercharger Pulley, 4# Metco Lower Crank Pulley, 3.5" Alternator Pulley, Metco Dual Bearing Idlers
    Ignition - TR7IX Stock Gapped at .035", Optima Red Top
    Rims&Tires - 1995 Cobra R Chrome Wheels 17x9 17x10.5, Nitto NT05 315/35 Rear Tires, Stock Eagle 275/40 Front Tires
    Tune - Custom tune, SCT Xcalibrator 3
    Windows - 35% Tint
    Bacon Detector - Valentine V1

So you knew the answer all along, just wanted us to think is that it??

So you knew the answer all along, just wanted us to think is that it??
    No, I had a feeling I was right, and I remember learning it. I just couldnt prove it.

We were going under the presumption that all the scores had an equal likely hood, for math purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver03Termi View Post
    We were going under the presumption that all the scores had an equal likely hood, for math purposes.
    I understand but that's certainly not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by cobracide View Post
    I understand but that's certainly not the case.
    i agree. we all agreed on that. the numbers just become to complex to speculate on.

Oh, the humanity of it all. FordSVTFan's Avatar
    Edit: Very few seem to be taking into account that certain numbers appear more often in football scores while others appear less. Therefore, if all boxes had an equal chance of winning a straight forward analysis would work. But, you must take into account the fact that different numbers have a different % of winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FordSVTFan
    If being STUPID doesnt hurt, it should!

Quote Originally Posted by FordSVTFan View Post
    Nobody seems to be taking into account that certain numbers appear more often in football scores while others appear less. Therefore, if all boxes had an equal chance of winning a straight forward analysis would work. But, you must take into account the fact that different numbers have a different % of winning.

Post 7 and 10 talk about it.
    2003 Sonic Blue Cobra - 302VT Billet Stroker - Crower Stage III - Kenne Bell 2.8LC - MPH Behemoth Inlet - Accufab Twin 75mm - 3.25"/6lb lower - Custom RAI - JLT 110mm MAF - 1-7/8" x 3" Kooks LTs - JBA 3" SS Catback - DSS lvl 5s - Detroit TrueTrac Diff. - FRPP 3.55 - MM K-member - PST Carbon Fiber Drive shaft - FRPP 80lb Injectors - Fore Triple Hat - Triple Walbro GSS342 - Fore FPR - Fore Fuel Filter - 24.76psi - E85 Tuned by Bob Kurgan

On the Dyno at Bob Kurgan's
    Terminator on Dyno at Kurgan's

Crower Cams:
    Cammed Cobra Idle

Walk Around:
    Cammed Cobra Walk Around

Oh, the humanity of it all. FordSVTFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GodStang View Post
    Post 7 and 10 talk about it.
    So they do.

**** that.....lol

1997 Cobra #2915 Gone but never forgotten
    2003 Redfire Terminator #2902
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas91169 View Post
    This site is oriented towards upper trim level vehicles like the Terminator, Lightning and GT500. Not lesser trim offerings. Theres modularperformance, corral and stangnet if you wanna talk about your shitty GT.