Thread: head TSB fixed?

Diesel Tech in the making perry2k12's Avatar

head TSB fixed?

Got a quick question for you guys. I'm supposed to go look at a 2003 cobra tomorrow with 45,xxx miles on it. I'm fairly serious about it because it seems to be what I'm really looking for in one, so I ran a carfax. The carfax came back perfectly clean, and says there were no recalls or anything performed on the car. Does that mean the infamous drivers side head TSB hasn't been performed on this car? Or does that really mean nothing at all?
    Also, anything else in general to check out when buying a terminator in general?
    1995 SVT Cobra. Aluminum heads, cam, nitrous. - SOLD

2003 SVT Cobra.
    2.9L Whipple. Twin GT pumps,60 lb injectors, SCT BA2400, AFCO Dual Pass H/E, Custom IC res.,KB BAP, UPR catless X, 3" Mac catback, JLT RAI

26 Spline Spec 3+, LFP aluminum flywheel, Lethal retainer sleeve etc, MGW w/ Race handle, LDC freeplay mod, MM full length subframe connectors, Billetflow IRS brace, MM solid rack bushings, H&R Springs, MM CC plates

Tuned by Bob Kurgan 644rwhp/590rwtq

To my knowledge the head TSB was not an actual recall, but rather something that was handled on a case by case basis, if they developed an issue. Not all Cobras have, or even get the tick. That issue, was something that was more common in the early build numbers, than in the late '03-'04 models. There should have been a recall performed on the gas pedal, though, because that was a safety recall. They have to cut the carpet under the pedal, and install some sort of plastic thing to hold it down.

Rookie SVT Poster
    The head tick was not a recall just a T.S.B. like stated above. Check out the terminator frequently asked questions sticky in this forum.

Also a must read is cobra bobs web site not only for great products but a great F.A.Q. section there also. stangshiftergaskets.com

Good luck. You will love it when you get!

thanks guys. she's bone stock, I'm going to enjoy modding it. I'll post pics if I pick it up

Well guys I bought the car. The car isn't perfect but the price was indeed perfect. Picked up a 2003 Cobra with 45000 miles. It is stock minus what's in my sig. The car rides PRETTY rough... what should I do to make it ride a little nicer? Shocks, etc?
    I got an SCT xcal2 with the car but it's still tuned on stock. Is it worth it to even keep it?

Semi user friendly Jimmysidecarr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by perry2k12 View Post
    Well guys I bought the car. The car isn't perfect but the price was indeed perfect. Picked up a 2003 Cobra with 45000 miles. It is stock minus what's in my sig. The car rides PRETTY rough... what should I do to make it ride a little nicer? Shocks, etc?
    I got an SCT xcal2 with the car but it's still tuned on stock. Is it worth it to even keep it?
    For sure, keep the Xcal, you can pull codes and data log with it.

See if you can find out which version of the H&R springs were put on the car.

You may then be able to trade with someone who wants them for a set of stockers.

Are the stock Bilsteins still on there?

Stock springs and shocks actually ride fairly well but can be improved on by doing the fulltiltboogieracing Delrin and Aluminum IRS bushing upgrade.

The stock bushings are captured and clamped into place when built. When the suspension articulates they are bound and resist movement.

After the FTBR bushings are installed the arms move free and easy with a couple of fingers when the springs are still out.

This makes the ride quality noticeably smoother, at the same time improving handling, traction and reducing or eliminating WHEEL HOP.
    Jimmy
    Still kicking! HOT ROD POWER TOUR LONG HAULER! 2014 AND 2013!
    MYSTICHROME #539<-The AWESOMENESS is fade resistant.
    2004 SVT Focus daily beater
    Sr. Automotive Technical Support with *Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants<-and LOVING it!
    *The Performance Oil that Outperforms®*
    If you love ADRENALIN LIKE I DO and haven't tried this yet....
    YOU NEED TO!!!---->
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ALG6pN_R0
    Mods page http://www.gotstang.com/webpages/Jim...-Mustang/mods/

Congratulations on being a new TERMINATOR owner. Pics please

Cool, the tuner seems to work well so i'll hang onto it.
    I don't know yet if the stock shocks are still in it or not, i'll be putting it on a lift sometime soon to check it out though. I get a little popping and moaning from the IRS, so i'll go ahead and order some new bushings. Can you link me to the bushings so I don't screw up? It would be nice if i could get them from lethal.

I got a few cell phone pics with my buddy's new comp orange. Here they are...

Crazy SVT Poster
    Here's the link. Full Tilt Boogie Racing
    ZY 03 Cobra - Sold 4/25/13

SVT God
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmysidecarr View Post
    For sure, keep the Xcal, you can pull codes and data log with it.
    You can also import custom tunes and it will link up to your pc with software from SCT's site...
    Nice looking ride, you said you got a Great deal but didn't list the price?
    Last edited by Brutal Metal; 02-13-2011 at 02:33 AM.

Semi user friendly Jimmysidecarr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra_mer View Post
    Here's the link. Full Tilt Boogie Racing
    Thanks Micheal!

The site he linked is loaded with great IRS tech and videos as well as being where to get the best Delrin, Aluminum and UHMW IRS bushings available, anywhere.

The owner is one of our moderators here, an avid open tracker/instructor, and a general great guy! His name is Bruce and his user name is AC427Cobra.

Here are all the TSB's for the Mustangs (maybe this could be added to the sticky?):

1996-2004 Ford Mustang Technical Service Bulletins «

The specific one(s) for the heads are:

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/03-11-04.pdf

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/06-05-13.pdf

Here are a couple more that are common, but can be done yourself if you buy the parts (beats giving the dealers even more $$$$):

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/03-01-05.pdf

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/04-01-02.pdf

If you need an alignment, here is a good one too:

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/03-03-06.pdf
    2003 Silver Metallic Cobra. A bunch of '00R, FRPP, and MM stuff...
    www.terminator-cobra.com

I picked it up for $15,700. Car isn't perfect, but the price was. I'm coming from a 5.0 cobra, this car is wicked fast compared to those!

Thanks for the links jr. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.

I have an 04 cobra and i have been experiencing what i believe to be a valve tick. In reading the tsb it states that it is the left side head. Is this referring to driver side or left side as your looking at the engine compartment? Also the date for the tsb is prior to my year cobra, do they still experience this ticking? If not then I might have a more serious issue on my hands then I thought. All help or thoughts welcomed.
    2004 Cobra: 12lb pulley, JLT CAI, SLP Loudmouth catback, exhaust, Dyno tuned @ 450rwhp.

Quote Originally Posted by Venemous04Cobra View Post
    I have an 04 cobra and i have been experiencing what i believe to be a valve tick. In reading the tsb it states that it is the left side head. Is this referring to driver side or left side as your looking at the engine compartment? Also the date for the tsb is prior to my year cobra, do they still experience this ticking? If not then I might have a more serious issue on my hands then I thought. All help or thoughts welcomed.

drivers side ,,,would be left side....

stock 03 cobra
    exhaust mods
    bbk longtube
    bbk off road x-pipe
    flow master cat back
    predator canned tune
    404rwhp408rwtq

2010 dc tundra 4.6

Premium Member
    ALL 2003-2004 Cobras can develop the head tick, although those that have a head cooling mod are much less apt to get it. That first TSB for the left head (driver's side) proved not to be a permanent fix for the tick issue. Some who got that driver's side head ended up with the tick issue again. Only the heads produced after 01/2005 are a proper fix.

Be sure you're not hearing fuel injector noise. That is commonly misunderstood to be the tick issue. Actually only a very small percentage of Terminators have ever developed the tick issue.

this thread is over a year old. you might have better luck creating a whole new thread, that is all yours.

on a side note...any time i think i hear a ticking coming from my car, i always get on youtube dot com and run searches for cobras that actually DO have the head tick, then listen to those. it always makes me feel much better, b/c the ones that actually DO have the tick...it is LOUD, and definitely not something you have to listen for. all you hear is TAP, TAP, TAP, TAP.

These engines are loud. There is ticking from the injectors and valve train noise and sometimes exhaust leaks. I think a lot of the "diagnose" tick is a miss diagnose but hey if you get free heads in the deal more power to you.
    2003 Sonic Blue Cobra - 302VT Billet Stroker - Crower Stage III - Kenne Bell 2.8LC - MPH Behemoth Inlet - Accufab Twin 75mm - 3.25"/6lb lower - Custom RAI - JLT 110mm MAF - 1-7/8" x 3" Kooks LTs - JBA 3" SS Catback - DSS lvl 5s - Detroit TrueTrac Diff. - FRPP 3.55 - MM K-member - PST Carbon Fiber Drive shaft - FRPP 80lb Injectors - Fore Triple Hat - Triple Walbro GSS342 - Fore FPR - Fore Fuel Filter - 24.76psi - E85 Tuned by Bob Kurgan

On the Dyno at Bob Kurgan's
    Terminator on Dyno at Kurgan's

Crower Cams:
    Cammed Cobra Idle

Walk Around:
    Cammed Cobra Walk Around

When I bought my car the Carfax was clean but when I ran a oasis repot it should all things that were replaced and fixed, this is where you will know if your head has been replaced.

2006 C6Z Muffler Delete / K&N Cold Air

Previous Rides
    2003 BLK Cobra
    2004 BLK Cobra
    2003 BLK GT
    2000 BLK GT

Wow! Thanks for actively replying to my query.
    To hotcobra03, I do realize that my question of which left side the tsb was referring to was rather elementary but one cannot assume too much!! thanks for clearing that up...

To GodStang, as for how loud these cars can be you are so right! But, the ticking noise its unmistakable because of how loud it is. It does quiet down once it has warmed up but it its still ever present. Really appreciate what you had to share. All advice is good advice this point.

Thanks for the Info Cobrabob. After reading the tsb I was concerned that I was all wrong in what I knew about the heads. I have some tests to ruin to make sure it its what I think it is. But, I feel much better about it now. Thanks again guys. And I will start a new post to kee you all posted on what I find.