Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mustang Hood Latch Adjustment\Modification (Hood Slam Fix)

Evilcartman orignally posted this, but alot of people have had issues seeing that thread/deadlinks. Terminator-Fox saved a copy and emailed it out so I figured I would rehost for anyone that needs to fix the slamming the hood to get it to shut!

Mustang Hood Latch Adjustment\Modification
    I found that no adjustment to the hood striker would help with the difficulty I had closing my hood. Tired of slamming the hood to get it to shut, I started looking at it and found a simple solution. I installed a washer that acted like a shim between the latch brace and the latch, raising the latch up just enough to make the hood close perfectly.
    Required tools:
    1) Small Phillips screw driver
    2) Torx T-30
    3) 5/16 socket or wrench
    4) Medium sized washer
    Approximate time to complete: 15 minutes

Step 1: Remove the 4 plastic screws along with the grommets they thread into.

Step 2: Remove the plastic cover.

Step 3: Remove the three 5/16th bolts and the T-30 Torx screw.

Step 4: Carefully remove the latch assembly and set it aside. It does has sharp edges.

Step 5: Make sure latch brace clip stays in place.

Step 6: Place washer on top of brace. I used a drop of silicon glue to keep in place, but it is not necessary.

Step 7: Close-up of washer. I used a fairly thick one. Two may be needed.

Step 8: Put latch back in place and get T-30 screw started. Donít tighten completely.

Step 9: Tighten the three 5/16th bolts. Tighten the two forward facing bolts first, then the bolt on top, then the torx screw. Donít over tighten the torx, the cheap clip wonít put up with it. I took the time to use touch up paint and paint the scratch screw heads and bracket. It is covered though so it doesnít matter.

Step 10: Reinstall plastic cover. Install grommets first then plastic screws just push in.

Step 11: Close hood and check alignment on each side.

Step 12: Adjust bump stops under hood to get the hood flush with fenders.

Step 13: Check both sides.

Make sure that when the hood is closed and the bump stops are adjusted that the hood doesnít float. Check it by closing the hood, pulling up and down on the hood to make sure it is not loose. Raising the latch too much and lowering the bump stops may make the hood loose. You are looking for the sweet spot between the three contact points on the front of the hood. If your hood still is difficult to shut you may try and install two washers stacked and make sure the latch is lined up with the hole in the hood.
    By Evilcartman
    2002 Black Lightning Sold
    2003 Redfire #4874 (1 of 758) Sold

Great job!

Seriously everyone with these cars should do this. Super simple, quick to do and works like a charm.

SVT God
    I had alot of trouble originally but this eventually fixed my problem exactly

Should have done this along time ago. Works great. Thanks guys
    DSG TERMINATOR

nice writeup, i did this with my aftermarket hood. it wouldnt latch properly without a few washers there

Crazy SVT Poster
    I guess I should have posted the pictures directly in the thread instead of creating a word doc. Good to see other people can use this.

www.evilcartman.com
    www.keithhicksphotography.com
    YouTube Channel

'14 Shelby GT 500
    '12 GT (Daily)
    '03 Cobra (Sold), '93 Cobra (Sold), '68 GT FB (Sold), '94 Lightning (Sold), '90 LX 5.0 (Sold), '93 GT (Sold), '93 GT (Sold), '88 GT (Sold), '73 FB (Sold), '87 GT (Sold), '88 GT TT (Sold)

boost makes daddy happy mmustangsrus's Avatar
    great write up thanks !!!

born on 6-26-03/ 4634 of 5082 of verts & 955th of 2003 SVT 10th ANNIV

"Stupid is a thorough teacher..."

"Everyone may not speak the same language, but everyone understands the universal language of a gun..."

I did all this. Works good. I used two washers at first and the hood shut easy but was out of alignment so I took one washer out and it shuts better. Now people don't have to look at me funny for slamming the hood from chest height

FRPP TVS/2.6 : JLT127 : CJ65 : VMP elbow : Lethal O/R H : VMP tuned : Bobs LCA : UPR UCA/mount : BMR panhard : Steeda springs : FRPP relo. brackets : DSS 1pc DS
    654 rwhp 640 rwtq

Call it like I see it.... '03snkbt's Avatar
    Completed today. If known earlier was all I needed to do, umm-well. Thx for write-up. 10 min job.
    03 MG Cobra.....RIP 6/29/13
    Whipple 2.9~Lethal Return~80's~FTBR~FRPP~RXT/Viper Spec T56.......tuned by Eric Brooks
    93 5.0.....sold

on the prowl for next project.....

sweet, thanks!

Crazy SVT Poster
    I changed the instructions slightly and put a page on my site. Check it out. I'm looking for constructive feedback. I just bought a 2012 5.0 for a daily driver and plan to mod it. I want to do some more instructional stuff for it but I would like to improve my methods.

Mustang Hood Mod - Evilcartman

nice
    2013 boss 302
    2013 exploder sport
    2011 F150 ecoboost platinum

Thanks for this post.. it worked..

I have an early 03 with the all black latch, I think they were revised some time in 03 to a silver latch, but good news.

I only needed to remove the top plastic piece and the torx screw. Did not have to remove the latch assembly with the painted bolts.

With the torx screw removed I managed to slip 2 washers in by pushing the bar aside and lifting on the latch assembly. Wiggled them into position with a screwdriver from the top and put the torx screw back in.

(I tried 1 washer and it wasn't enough. When I put in 2 washers I had to put them in together not individually)

Hood closes much easier now...
    Sonic Blue Vert
    Build 9/26/02
    Delivery 11/1/02
    K&N
    03 Bassani catted x and catback
    Eibach
    18" Afs Chrome

Crazy SVT Poster
    I did this completely without removing the torx nut. All l did was unscrew the rod that screws into the front lower part of the radiator core support. Then with having all the latch screws loosened I just moved the rod bracket up as far as I could get it and then I tightened everything and it worked. After slowly closing the hood to see the gaps I had to move the latch a little to the left and it lined up.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverNotch View Post
    I did this completely without removing the torx nut. All l did was unscrew the rod that screws into the front lower part of the radiator core support. Then with having all the latch screws loosened I just moved the rod bracket up as far as I could get it and then I tightened everything and it worked. After slowly closing the hood to see the gaps I had to move the latch a little to the left and it lined up.
    I did this completely using my mind, didn't touch the car at all

Seriously though, I didn't touch the latch bolts at all and risk cracking the paint, did consider that lower bolt.

So, it can be adjusted from the bottom mount of the support rod...

Great write up. Did this in less than 10 mins and makes shutting the hood so much easier. Now I don't cringe when I have to shut the hood.

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowYellow View Post
    Great write up. Did this in less than 10 mins and makes shutting the hood so much easier. Now I don't cringe when I have to shut the hood.
    I posted the article on my site. Here is a link. There are a few changes, but nothing major. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions on changes.

Mustang Hood Mod - Evilcartman

Rookie SVT Poster
    works like a charm

Finally did mine Saturday, thanks Evilcartman!!!

2003 Redfire Cobra coupe
    2004 Azure Blue Mach1 - Sold
    92 Calypso 5.0 Hatch - Sold
    2000 SVT Contour - Sold
    The American dream means equal opportunity, not equal results.

Doing mine tomorrow, finally!!

Redfire 03 Cobra:
    Wilwoods, Coil Overs, Whipple, Race Gold True Forged, LT's, Cams, Ported Heads, Aluminator, AED Tuned.... Yeah you get the idea

Just did this last night and magic ! Been slamming my hood for 7 years and now it latches with a simple 12" drop. Great tip and writeup EvilCartman.
    '04 Cobra Silver Vert Daily Driver
    **Magnaflow catback & catted-X**JLT Carbon Fiber RAI**Ported TB/PL**MGW shifter**
    **BilletFlow 2.76 + 4 idlers**Predator tune by Amazon**452/480 SAE**
    **MM IRS subframe bushings/9/16" bolts/front & rear diff bushings**
    **Steeda FLSFC**Stock coupe rear springs w/AirLift bags**
    **BilletFlow IRS cover brace/IRS brackets**Fiore quadrant & FWA**
    **LFP HE & Reservior**Raptor Shift light**
    **CDC light bar**MRT Hood Struts**Tint 30% side/15% rear**
    **FR500 reps 10.5" with 315/35R17 Nittos**
    ----------------------------
    Gone but not forgotten: 426 Challenger, 340 Cuda, 6.6 T/A

----------------------------

Going back to stock -- many of these parts will be going up for sale, PM me.

Insane SVT Poster
    nice im going to have to do this

Awesome! Can't wait to do this. I've had mechanics not close my hood until I got there because they were afraid to slam it. Great thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cobra-21 View Post
    just did this last night and magic ! Been slamming my hood for 7 years and now it latches with a simple 12" drop. Great tip and writeup evilcartman.
    +1

Just finished mine tonight... I have had my termi for 7 weeks. And it has been a bitch to shut the hood. No matter how I adjustied it, It still took me 4 to 5 times slamming hood with both hands. One heat sink washer from a RC car and now drop it from 6" and shuts perfect...

Made my Night thanks...
    Last edited by 03 Red Fire; 06-02-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast