Crazy SVT Poster

2011 GT500 2.6" pulley belt slip?

So I just upgraded the following on my car and I think I am getting belt slip.

2.6" pulley
    additional idler pulley
    spark plugs
    Afco dual fan H/E
    JLT carbon fiber intake tube
    2 JLT pcv oil catch cans

I think that I am getting some belt slip when at boost. The stock boost gauge climbs very quickly to 13 lbs, then seems to drop to 9 and climbs back up to 13. Anyone have any experience with these types of upgrades, and if you experienced belt slippage? I don't hear any noise from the belt when I am at idle. If I slowly apply the throttle, it seems to be less of an issue. When I give it the beans, that is mostly when I see the problem.
    Jared
    2011 Shelby GT500 svt
    1967 Camaro RS 468 BBC
    2009 Buell 1125R
    Honolulu, HI

By sikryd at 2012-03-27

This should be very hard and dangerous to watch while driving. The best thing to do is get it on a dyno to get a good long 4th gear pull to see.

If you have the Metco idler you have 3 spots to adjust it too. It comes in the middle, but it can get tighter.

Jay
    2013 Mustang GT 5.0
    Gotta Have It Green
    Roush Blown, JLT Big Air, ARHeaders, Brent hughes DTPracing tune 725 RWHP.

We won't sell a part we won't put on our own car!
    Join us on FACEBOOK
    JLT Mustang Cold Air Intakes
    ASK ME FOR YOUR SVTP DISCOUNT CODE
    Call or E-mail me for your needs!
    Jay Tucker @ 757 335 1940 or [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun@AED View Post
    I tell customers HP gains from tune only is typically 5-7HP Peak, but we have seen as much as 15 from tune-only.
    Wow, we see 30 from CAI and tune on a 5.0, but keep reading intakes don't make power. LOL
    The COLD AIR INTAKE of Choice in every 5.0 shootout, 2010 (MM&FF), 2011 (5.0) & 2012 (5.0)!!
    More then JLT intakes, check the web site for your Mustang needs

Crazy SVT Poster
    Not sure what idler I have, it came with the kit I bought from Evolution Performance. I did not check if the idler could be moved or not. I will give evolution a call sometime today.
    +1 on dyno time, I need to look into that.

Proud MACA Member JRS BLOWN SNAKE's Avatar
    With the engine turned off. Open the hood. Swipe your fingers or a white rag/cloth around the pulley area in a 10" radius. see if you have fresh dust. Great indicator !!
    04 Torch Red Cobra
    Sig was too long, so I'll just say a lot of mods. and fast.

8.72 @ 154.09 / 1.25 60 foot / Auto, SRA on Blower / Built motor and 3.4 Whipple
    Best 1/8 mile 5.60 @ 126.25 on Blower

2008 Terminator Shootout Open class winner

Yes, EVO Fred, that was me driving !!!

FASTEST TWIN SCREWED, NO NITROUS, COBRA OF ALL TIME !!

Proud Member of the Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association

Wouldn't you be able to hear the belt squeal when/if it slips?

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS BLOWN SNAKE View Post
    With the engine turned off. Open the hood. Swipe your fingers or a white rag/cloth around the pulley area in a 10" radius. see if you have fresh dust. Great indicator !!
    Evolution said that its the crappy stock boost gauge and not belt slip. I will give the wipe method a try after work, thanks for the type. Seems obvious now having hind site...

Quote Originally Posted by islander033 View Post
    Wouldn't you be able to hear the belt squeal when/if it slips?
    Not when you are under power... The engine, supercharger and exhaust is dang loud when getting on the throttle hard.

Quote Originally Posted by sikryd View Post
    ...Not when you are under power... The engine, supercharger and exhaust is dang loud when getting on the throttle hard.
    Right on. I could hear it slip on my Saleen before I upgraded idlers for better belt wrap and that thing was loud as hell...lol. My Shelby is way quieter in comparison.

Hope it is just the stock gauge and everything is cool.

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by islander033 View Post
    Right on. I could hear it slip on my Saleen before I upgraded idlers for better belt wrap and that thing was loud as hell...lol. My Shelby is way quieter in comparison.

Hope it is just the stock gauge and everything is cool.
    Could very well be that it's not slipping...
    I spoke to Evolution, and they said the idler I have is adjustable. I think I'm going to dyno the car, that will tell me if there is actually any slip. My next purchase will probably be a gauge pod, boost gauge and A/F ratio gauge. If it turns out that there is slip, I will push the idler towards the drivers side and see if that helps. I'm just worried that too much tension will lead to premature bearing failure on something.

Banned
    This is all you need man. If you have belt slip issues, this will cure them completely. I have one and it works perfect. Totally adjustable.

Massive Speed Adjustable Supercharger Tension System - Ford Focus "Hardcore" Racing Performance Parts - Massive Speed System

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SicShelby09 View Post
    This is all you need man. If you have belt slip issues, this will cure them completely. I have one and it works perfect. Totally adjustable.

Massive Speed Adjustable Supercharger Tension System - Ford Focus "Hardcore" Racing Performance Parts - Massive Speed System
    I saw that on another post... Something for me to think about if I actually have belt slip. I scheduled Dyno time for 3/3, so I will find out then.