Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie SVT Poster

Fuel Cell Leak - Alternative Fix

Was wondering if anyone here removed the bladder and 'sealed' the tank (more like the factory tank)?

I dont mind buying a bladder to fix something...but then to have to go through it in another 10-15 years and then another 10-15 after that is too much on the wallet.

Was thinking of removing the bladder; seam sealing the end plate either by welding or with body panel adhesive (fuel and oil resistant), then using POR 15 Fuel Tank SEal Kit on the inside. I called POR, they said it bonds to aluminum (use in boats and planes).

Given I dont race the car and simply street drive, this may be a good option to keep the cool factor of the fuel cell without the need to have a continuous savings account for future fuel cell bladders.

Thoughts?

Ron.
    Last edited by Ron 1995 R; 02-28-2011 at 10:38 AM.

I think there's a thread on here somewhere re this idea. Bottom line is that it's a very bad idea to use the aluminum fuel cell "can" as a gas tank. The aluminum is way too soft and easily punctured. By a new or used Mustang gas tank instead. Much safer.
    1995 Cobra R #82 - Sold
    1965 Fastback Track Car - Sold
    1995 Chrome Yellow GT Coupe, SOLD!
    1998 Cobra Coupe, Chrome Yellow, SOLD!
    1994 Cobra Coupe, Vermillion Red SOLD
    1994 Cobra Coupe, Rio Red Daily Driver.

You can put a regular fuel tank in it but it will look like crap. You might as well own a 1995 svt cobra......minus the R

cant touch this........
    A one time fix would be awesome.

Before you make any decisions I'd suggest thoroughly reading this thread.
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...tick-tick.html

Go with a stock tank and have an aluminum cover built for it that looks like the cell.

And who looks that closely at a cars' gas tank anyway? Only one of the few people in the world who know what an R car is?

Lol, I literally just typed up the following for a new thread. Looks like you beat me to it...

I have been struggling with the prospect of spending $1k plus on a disposable replacement FuelSafe bladder that will need to be replaced again in a few years. I did a Google search for custom fuel tanks and I found several places that build custom tanks in stainless steel and aluminum. I’m thinking about having a bladderless aluminum or stainless steel cell made in the same dimensions as the FuelSafe cell so it would appear to be the stock cell when installed. What do you guys think of this solution?
    Todd
    1967 GT350 #2347
    1995 Cobra R #77 ex-IMSA GS
    1995 Snipes Ford Cobra R #26 ex-Speedvision Cup GS
    1995 Cobra 2 Top #474
    2013 Boss LS SBY #46
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CobraR77/videos

Rookie SVT Poster
    I'm pulling my fuel cell in the next couple days to get my thoughts/head together. Cant imagine installing a new bladder is all that difficult based on the other thread.

Fuel tanks on big rigs are a mix of steel, aluminum, stainless steel; water tanks on teh front of horse trailers are aluminum, etc... ...but what I want to see is what the gauge of the aluminum is; if thick enough (which is to be determined), it is no more easily punctured than steel (unless it's Reynolds Wrap Thin).
    Last edited by Ron 1995 R; 03-01-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Well there you go! Stainless or steel with powdercoat finish would work/look great.

Wonder how the insurance company would look at that fix? Guess the tank would have to be certified somehow?

I have a tenant who builds fuel tanks for marine applications out of aluminum and he has them Coast Guard certified somehow. That's what you need.

Here is a link to one of the companies I was refering to:

Boyd Welding LLC

Rookie SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraR77 View Post
    Lol, I literally just typed up the following for a new thread. Looks like you beat me to it...

I have been struggling with the prospect of spending $1k plus on a disposable replacement FuelSafe bladder that will need to be replaced again in a few years. I did a Google search for custom fuel tanks and I found several places that build custom tanks in stainless steel and aluminum. Iím thinking about having a bladderless aluminum or stainless steel cell made in the same dimensions as the FuelSafe cell so it would appear to be the stock cell when installed. What do you guys think of this solution?

That's a cool idea...

Spending $1000 every 10 - 15 years isn't that bad. I say leave it the way it is supposed to be and replace with a stock bladder.
    1991 Notch -Basic bolt ons & blower
    2000 R
    1987 IROC - Had it since high school
    1998 Viper RT/10
    2002 Viper ACR Graphite/Silver
    1987 Buick Grand National
    2014 GT500 ordered 8/9/13 Picked up 9/20

Quote Originally Posted by TFStang View Post
    Spending $1000 every 10 - 15 years isn't that bad. I say leave it the way it is supposed to be and replace with a stock bladder.
    FuelSafe currently lists the price of the bladder at $1,956.00. They were priced at under $1k a few years ago. Who knows what they will cost a few years from now. If they are even available by then.

For $2k plus labor I might look into a stock tank with a "cover" over it to look like a fuel cell.
    '66 Shelby GT350
    00R #160--SOLD
    '03 Cobra
    '04 comp orange mach 1--SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by CobraR77 View Post
    FuelSafe currently lists the price of the bladder at $1,956.00. They were priced at under $1k a few years ago. Who knows what they will cost a few years from now. If they are even available by then.
    WOW! When I replaced mine 5 or 6 years ago I think it was $700!! Now that's inflation!

The custom aluminum tank seems like the way to go if you're not seriously tracking the car.

I'm having this issue also and have not found the bladder under $1600 as of yet and that is without the additional items it will need when installed like the liners for the straps etc,etc. I can buy the complete Fuel Safe tank for a little more than the bladder. Considering that at the moment.

I replaced my fuel cell with regular Mustang tank set up about 2 years ago. I have a construction business and business fell off and still has not come close to recovering. I think at the time it would have cost around $1300 to replace, not including shipping. I was able to get everything I needed for a regular tank for $110. I just could not see spending nearly $1200 extra at that time. If prices are now close to $2K then I doubt my R will ever see its original tank reinstalled. I am planning on keeping the original cell, and all its components, but as the price for replacement bladders goes up and the value of my R stays the same, or has even decreased, I will leave a regular tank in. I can still drive it and enjoy it. I would consider a look a like steel or aluminum unit that does not have a bladder, as long as the cost did not top $1K. I would even reinstall the foam on the inside of the replica so it would just as effective as the original.

One of the problems with Fuelsafe has been a lack of interest in fixing a stock 95r tank, they want to change the design and said they did not have a bladder that fit the stock tank. I have called and got no response back so I guess I will have to call again, I only live 200 miles from them and may just buzzz over there and ask what the problem is.
    2010 Raptor 6.2
    2008 Gt500
    2003 Cobra Conv 10th Ann
    2001 Saleen SC #387
    2001 F150 Harley Davidson
    2000 Cobra R #295
    1999 Lightning
    1995 Cobra R #176 (#4 Rosie Car, Dad's)
    1993 Cobra r #104
    1984 GT 350
    Its been a problem, and I'm Done

SVTOA MCA SSMOA
    The foam only slows down sloshing which is NOT the primary point of a fuel cell (it is an advantage of course). The main point, is during an impact, the metal of the tank can be deformed such that it would leak, but the bladder inside allows this deformation, while still containing the fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhopper View Post
    I I would even reinstall the foam on the inside of the replica so it would just as effective as the original.

Rookie SVT Poster
    I welded the support rings to my stock can, put the foam back in and have the original busted up bladder in a bag for the next "collector". Mine has an aluminum tank with no bladder as of last weekend.

sounds like I should make some duplicate copies of this thing........
    Last edited by grape; 03-02-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    93R, 95R, 92 coupe, '66 shelby mustang, '02 zo6, '97 GTS viper, and a few craftsman trucks...........

Quote Originally Posted by grape View Post
    I welded the support rings to my stock can, put the foam back in and have the original busted up bladder in a bag for the next "collector". Mine has an aluminum tank with no bladder as of last weekend.

Hmmm, could you explain this please? Support rings? You're back to using the thin fuel cell aluminum can for a gas tank? The foam by itself in the can won't do anything but limit the slosh of fuel, won't help the safety aspect at all.

BBRC (Behind Bars Race Cars) makes an aluminum fuel tank..

See if this link works:
    2000 to 04 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by specracer View Post
    The foam only slows down sloshing which is NOT the primary point of a fuel cell (it is an advantage of course). The main point, is during an impact, the metal of the tank can be deformed such that it would leak, but the bladder inside allows this deformation, while still containing the fuel.
    I know that. My reasoning would be so that the replica would perform, in use, the same as the original. If somebody rear ended my R, I would be so pissed, the last thing on my mind would be if the lining in my fuel cell is keeping the gas from leaking out.

Quote Originally Posted by grape View Post

Don't know why a collector would want the old busted bladder....toss that thing.

I don't want to use the original aluminum shell to hold the fuel. One, I would prefer the metal to be a gauge or two thicker in order to be a little safer. Two, if I decided to ever spend thousands to redo the original cell, I am not sure what the ramifications of welding all the rings to the original shell would be. Would a bladder still be able to be installed properly after your mods?

I am going to have a welder insatall a roll bar in my track car this year. I'll ask him if he would be able to duplicate a tank for me.

Rookie SVT Poster
    Ive bought way too many bladders from ATL and fuelsafe over the years with all of nascars rule changes, to warrant letting pump gas ruin another one in a streetcar. Absolutely absurd

I pull these bladders in and out of cans on a weekly basis for tech, im quite familiar with their inner workings, thanks for the lesson on foam guys lol
    Last edited by grape; 03-02-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r82of250 View Post
    Hmmm, could you explain this please? Support rings? You're back to using the thin fuel cell aluminum can for a gas tank? The foam by itself in the can won't do anything but limit the slosh of fuel, won't help the safety aspect at all.
    My now infamous picture of the "support rings"/bladder flanges.................

and the openings that they "could" fit.................

This discussion brings back memories, not necessarily good ones. 1995 and 2000 Cobra R's, the clock is always ticking, tick, tick, tick.

R
    Last edited by Robert M; 03-03-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast