Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Great thread/project, looking forward to the results. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Camel Toe hunter
    Just use the Motorcraft or Pure One. I think this has been said before.
    2001 Formula hardtop. Stock internal car. 11.08@120 10.63 @124 100 shot.
    2004 White Mach One. Showroom stock, 13.22@106
    2004 Competition Orange Cobra.
    RKBA!!!!!!!!

Rookie SVT Poster
    Great Idea for an article. I did it my self about 8 months ago when I had an oil filter fail and come apart in my 03 Cobra. The filter element particles got clogged in the main passage and starved the right head of oil. It sized up the intake cam and caused me much grief and money. (donít use the cheap filter) I cut apart several filters including the Mobile 1, Fram, K&N, Motorcraft, and others. What I found, basically, is that filters are not created equal and this is definitely a case were you get what you pay for. Donít ever buy the cheap one!! I know I know; I had been using them for years with no problem but all it takes is one time and you wish all you ever had were the top end ones.

I found the Mobil 1 and the K&N to be the best of the ones I dissected and are very similar. The Motorcraft and other OEM filters on production cars are also real good.

What makes a quality filter?

Good stuff. Guess I'll know soon enough if my FL820 is just an overpriced filter.

I've always used Royal Purple on all my Mustangs and Camaro that I have owned. I always followed it up with my Filter Mag!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaaIkjO0hNc"]YouTube - Filter Mag 1.wmv[/nomedia]

Just an added protection if there was any metal
    40th Anniversary Azure Blue MACH1 M5

MODS:
    Comp Xtreme Cams: 226/224 @.050 - .475/.450 on 114LSA,
    SCT Custom Tune w/2-Step:FastLane Motorsports
    JLT CAI w/RamAir, Firewall Adjuster
    "Magnapack" Cat-Back, Bassani Cat X-Pipe, Bassani ML Headers
    FRPP Alum Driveshaft, MGW Shifter
    JLT & SHM Oil Separator, Steeda Undrv Pulleys
    PHP Intake Spacer, WeaponX CoPs w/TR55 Iridium
    FRPP 4:10 Gears, 31 Spl Moser Axles, FRPP Posi Unit, Brng. Support Cover..& D.R.s
    Steeda adj. UCA/LCA, EBC Brakes, SPEC II Clutch & Alum Flywheel
    Steeda Sport Springs & C/C, Tokico HP Series S/S
    Accufab Twin 62mm TB w/IAC Restrictor
    New #'s 373rwHp 341ft/lbs

definitely looking forward to the results.
    2001 True Blue Cobra Convertible
    1 of 292
    #935 built on 4/20/01

Quote Originally Posted by lsp408 View Post
    are you guys going to try napa gold?

Didn't Napa buy out Wix and now Wix makes the NAPA filters or vise a versa.

Quote Originally Posted by MACHXLR8 View Post
    I've always used Royal Purple on all my Mustangs and Camaro that I have owned. I always followed it up with my Filter Mag!

YouTube - Filter Mag 1.wmv

Thanks for the link. First time hearing about the filter mag. Is it tough getting the filter mag on there?

Makin ALL KINDS of gains SinisterX's Avatar
    I wanna see Ford Racing and Amsoils results
    E85 2004 Black mach1
    6465 billet twin , automatic build underway
    1xxx whp bound

2003 DSG Lightning
    32V w/ S480
    720/700 @ 18psi on 93 pump

Jack Stand Hero
    I always use motorcraft, but am excited to see if a switch is necessary

Quote Originally Posted by VincodeY View Post
    I'm saying it now, per dollar, the motorcraft will win!

I agree as well.

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it." - Me

2003 Torch Red Mustang Cobra Convertible Terminator # 476 out of 5,082
    1995 Red Mustang GT Convertible
    1993 Cobra Mustang #1050 out of 4,993
    2001 Red Lightning #2690 out of 6,381
    2004 Red ZX5 SVT #132 out of 1079

Quote Originally Posted by 01cobravortech View Post
    Thanks for the link. First time hearing about the filter mag. Is it tough getting the filter mag on there?
    No, not at all..just let the magnet attach to the filter..2 second install. (The magnet is pretty strong) Just get the right size for the Oil filter. Some Filter mags are longer (top to bottom) and will exceed the length of the oil filter. Our oil filters have a wide diameter but are really not that long.
    Just before you are ready to change the oil, remove the magnet and take the filter off. After the new oil filter is put on, just let the magnet attach itself again.

BTW..I got the Black one and not the Red one. I think the red would have been too long. This was for the MACH 1...find one for your car.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FTM-SS375/
    Last edited by MACHXLR8; 03-21-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Been There, Wrecked That shadyninja's Avatar
    Awesome....

Engine Lubrication Guru UnleashedBeast's Avatar
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornbtwentwo View Post
    What makes a quality filter?
    1.Strong case that is burst resistant
    2.Large silicon anti drain back valve
    3.Coiled bypass valve spring, not a stamped metal version
    4.Synthetic filter media that can filter at low microns, yet flow as well (or better) than freer flowing cellulose paper media
    5. Stamped steel filter media end caps, and filled with sealant (not just adhesive).

Like the BMW M3 is used as a measuring stick on the road course, here is your unit of measure for oil filters.

Let's see how they "measure up"

Now, I agree that a filter to this degree will be overkill for those who change their oil more than their underwear, but the filter media is the sweet bonus. I prefer those nasty wear metals to be in the filter, and not in the engine sump.

YouTube - Filter Mag 1.wmv

The filter mag is honestly a waste of money, unless you are using cheap filters. If you were buying top tier oil filters, the fine metal that is sticking to that magnet would be trapped in the filter. I will agree that it will greatly improve a cheap filters performance.

Also, considering that the filter mag will only catch metals with Fe (Fe = iron *for those who had no clue* lol)

It won't catch aluminum, copper, lead, tin, or silicon (dirt) - and these are other wear metals that occur in engine wear. See, now we are back to the top tier filter argument. lol

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterX View Post
    Don't think it's going to be in favor of Ford, but we will wait and see.
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 03-21-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    2014 Mustang GT: Sterling Gray | NAV | Recaros | Brembos | Glass Roof | back up camera | 6 speed auto

2007+ Shelby GT500 UOA thread | 2012+ Boss 302 UOA Thread | 2011+ GT UOA Thread

No, not at all..just let the magnet attach to the filter..2 second install. (The magnet is pretty strong) Just get the right size for the Oil filter. Some Filter mags are longer (top to bottom) and will exceed the length of the oil filter. Our oil filters have a wide diameter but are really not that long.
    Just before you are ready to change the oil, remove the magnet and take the filter off. After the new oil filter is put on, just let the magnet attach itself again.

BTW..I got the Black one and not the Red one. I think the red would have been too long. This was for the MACH 1...find one for your car.
    FilterMAG SS375 - FilterMAG SS Autos and Light Truck Series Magnets - Overview - SummitRacing.com
    Thanks for the link and info.

Been There, Wrecked That shadyninja's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post

The filter mag is honestly a waste of money, unless you are using cheap filters. If you were buying top tier oil filters, the fine metal that is sticking to that magnet would be trapped in the filter. I will agree that it will greatly improve a cheap filters performance.

Also, considering that the filter mag will only catch metals with Fe (Fe = iron *for those who had no clue* lol)

It won't catch aluminum, copper, lead, tin, or silicon (dirt) - and these are other wear metals that occur in engine wear. See, now we are back to the top tier filter argument. lol
    I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyninja View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Agree..It is a matter of preference whether you want to put one or not. By no means do I buy cheap oil or cheap filters on my MACH1...maybe crap for my DD Nissan Sentra but not for my Stang.

If I recall though, some car manufacturers use to put magnetic oil drain plugs on their cars from the factory. It is an old idea that has been around for a while. If some of the manufactures did it, their must be a reason. These manufacturers do NOT like to spend any kind of additional money if they do not have to. If they did it (on a much smaller level - on the drain plug) than it is good enough for me..just preference though..not forcing anyone or trying to persuade. I just put the info out there

Just keep this in mind... knowing how everything is based on money today and quality seems to take a back seat, would you want to take the word of the filter manufacture that all their filters are constructed with quality in mind?
    Last edited by MACHXLR8; 03-22-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterX View Post
    I agree. I run Ford Racing fl-820 oil filter also

Wix here but have use Motorcraft and Bosch.
    01 KB Lightning...SOLD
    06 CBR 1K....sorta stock.....
    03 M1 Torch Red..SOLD
    03 Cobra Vert...BlackChrome DD cobras,275/315 NT05/NT05R, JLT Highboost, O/R X, Bassani 3" CB, Cryoed T-56, 26 spline with Spec 3+, CF DS, Built IRS, Dual Pass HE 2.76, Dynospeed tune..436/461

Great idea

Right you are ken DSGWhippedSnake's Avatar
    Can't wait to see the results

Always use motorcraft filters and oil here...

Built | Cammed | Whippled

Quote Originally Posted by StrokeMe View Post
    Apocalypse = No government = No Chevrolet
    "He came in dukes of hazzard, gettin it, diggin like that like Dale Junior and then hooked up and shot forward. And when he hooked up and shot forward thatís when he came and hit"

I could buy almost six motorcraft filters for the price I payed for my Royal Purple filter. I also change oil ever 2k miles and use mobile 1 oil.

Whipple Charged 623RWHP 575RWTQ...

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANGWOP View Post
    Great thread/project, looking forward to the results. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
    ^ I agree this should be interesting. I use all Motorcraft, I used to use Amsoil filters. I've been selling and using Amsoil products for almost 20+ years. I stopped using Amsoil filters about 17 years ago because when I took the filter off at oil change time 3 out of 4 times the filter was empty. If I remember correctly it was failure of the anti-drainback valve. They gave me a few free filters the problem continued so I quit using them (I still have a couple). I thought Wix was making them for Amsoil at the time but I'm not sure. I'm sure by now this problem has been solved because I have many happy filter customers. I'm looking forward to the results, maybe I'll try the Amsoil filters again.

Subscribing. Great idea

2003 Black/Black/Parchment Cobra Convertible - "1 of 68"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast