How to check if an ATV has a lien?

Im currently looking at trading my s10 for an '02 raptor. The guy got it from a relative who passed away a few years ago, and it has just sat in his garage. I talked to him the other day and he said he didn't know if there was a lien on it or not, but was going to check (said he wouldn't know until later next week and I want the quad now) I'm almost certain it is not stolen but am going to have a cop friend run the vin on it to make sure. My question is does anyone know how I could check to see if it had a lien?? I'll be getting the VIN or serial # tonight, and probably get the original owner who died name too. My friend read you can run an AutoCheck but couldn't find on their website where it said anything about ATV's. Any help would be appreciated! I'd hate to get it, register it with the state, and then find out its out for repo! Thanks in advance!

Oh, the humanity of it all. FordSVTFan's Avatar
    Liens on motor vehicles are usually stamped on the title and encumbered that way. They can also be filed with the county in which the owner resides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FordSVTFan
    If being STUPID doesnt hurt, it should!

Don't know about your state but in California if you have the pink slip, and it is signed by the current legal owner you can get a new pink slip issued in your name without any strings attached.

Aerodynamics is for people that who don't know how to build engines.
    ~Enzo Ferrari

"The Presidency
    Too much job,
    Not enough man"
    ~Me

Quote Originally Posted by bullitt1672 View Post
    Im currently looking at trading my s10 for an '02 raptor. The guy got it from a relative who passed away a few years ago, and it has just sat in his garage. I talked to him the other day and he said he didn't know if there was a lien on it or not, but was going to check (said he wouldn't know until later next week and I want the quad now) I'm almost certain it is not stolen but am going to have a cop friend run the vin on it to make sure. My question is does anyone know how I could check to see if it had a lien?? I'll be getting the VIN or serial # tonight, and probably get the original owner who died name too. My friend read you can run an AutoCheck but couldn't find on their website where it said anything about ATV's. Any help would be appreciated! I'd hate to get it, register it with the state, and then find out its out for repo! Thanks in advance!

A 02 raptor 660 is only worth about $1,500, there's is no way i would trade a running pickup truck for one.

Maybe if it were a newer fuel injected raptor 700 or Yfz450r.

Does it even have a title or registration? None of my offroad bikes ever had either. None of the above and there really isn't any way to put a lien on it, at least not here. Just make sure you get a notarized bill of sale with it to cya.
    2001 Lightning #127, 13.18@105, 374 rwhp/445 rwtq, no chip, no pullies, no nitrous, on street tires and with the stock airbox at 4960 lbs.

Thanks for the input guys! I would look at the title, but its not with the guy im trading and thats why he doesnt know if there is a lien on it. It's a strange situation so I think I'll just be patient and wait until next week until the owner knows for sure. lol well the truck is a '96 sonoma that needs some a slave cylinder and some tlc and the quad is mint. I know I could turn around and sell the raptor for more than the truck. I cant even get 1500 for the truck.

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mc01svt View Post
    a 02 raptor 660 is only worth about $1,500, there's is no way i would trade a running pickup truck for one.

Maybe if it were a newer fuel injected raptor 700 or yfz450r.
    +1
    98 gt

Try calling motor vehicle or a 3rd party that deals with motor vehicle registration and giving them the VIN. Tell them you want to get it titled/registered in your name but the owner misplaced it. They might look it up for you and give you that info
    Cobra Dyno.......Exhaust Compilation.......The Complete How to Cut Your Stock Cobra Springs Thread
    ....................2004 Cobra.................................................. .....................1974 Bronco

^^ Thanks I may try that. The guy is starting to be shady so I'm just going to forget about the deal altogether.

I got the VIN if any internet sleuths want to help me out!