View Poll Results: What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

Voters
383. You may not vote on this poll
  • Motorcraft 5W-50

139 36.29%
  • Castrol 5W-50

58 15.14%
  • Pennzoil 5W-50

2 0.52%
  • Mobil 1 5W-50

33 8.62%
  • Mobil 1 15W-50

5 1.31%
  • Red Line 5W-50

35 9.14%
  • Amsoil 10W-40

72 18.80%
  • Amsoil 10W-30

17 4.44%
  • Other (post what you are using)

22 5.74%
Page 1 of 32 12345 11 26 ... LastLast
    Engine Lubrication Guru UnleashedBeast's Avatar
    Premium Member

Official UOA thread with oil poll

I have created an Excel spreadsheet to compare/contrast every Shelby 5.4L UOA I have ever collected, and I need more samples to show trends.

Base green color samples are random UOAs waiting for a follow up.
    Other "like" color groupings are samples taken from the same engine.

Some of you will notice your UOA is included, as I have snatched a few UOAs from SVT Performance forums. If you have a UOA on your 5.4L Shelby engine that isn't on the list, please post it here for all to see, and I will update this picture with your information.

The poll is to get an idea what everyone is using in their Shelby for engine lubrication. If you chose the "other" option.....please post what you are using in your engine. If anyone needs to know where to get oil testing, visit one of the website links below. Please, if you have your oil tested with Blackstone....opt for the extra $10.00 to have TBN tested. OAI provides TBN testing included with the price. OAI also tests for oxidation (Blackstone does not). Both labs will yield very close consistent results.

Blackstone - will cost $25.00 for basic test, $35.00 with TBN, plus the cost of shipping ($1.90 USPS)

OAI testing kits UPS prepaid - will cost $32.20 - Amsoil preferred customers get this test for $25.95

I'm currently testing the performance of Amsoil 10W-30 in my engine, and the results have been stellar.
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 04-06-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    2014 Mustang GT: Sterling Gray | NAV | Recaros | Brembos | Glass Roof | back up camera | 6 speed auto

2007+ Shelby GT500 UOA thread | 2012+ Boss 302 UOA Thread | 2011+ GT UOA Thread

I just ordered the test kit, the free one.

I'm changing my oil this week.

I'll let you know my results. I use the Motorcraft 5w50.
    History of my stang obsession.
    12 GT/CS Blk/Blk
    07 GT500
    06 GT Vert
    04 Cobra
    03 Mach 1
    95 SVT Cobra
    94 GT vert
    89 LX 5.0

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperBlueCobra View Post
    I just ordered the test kit, the free one.

I'm changing my oil this week.

I'll let you know my results. I use the Motorcraft 5w50.
    It's not free, you have to provide your credit card information when you do the test. They send the kit to you free....payment for testing is required later.

Thanks for the sample. You are contributing to the GT500 community and will have first hand knowledge if your engine has any issues.

Troy - how would you, simply, to get a sample out of the car if one is not changing the fill?
    Sold - 06 Vert GT - Vortech H.O. S/C, Tuned by Realspeed - 1320 -11.49 @ 121.45 - Gone but not forgotten

2008 Shelby GT500 - L&M Built Motor - 4.0L Whipple - Lund Racing Tuned - E85 Powered

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stkjock View Post
    Troy - how would you, simply, to get a sample out of the car if one is not changing the fill?
    Amsoil Sample Pump

I have one, and love it. Makes it easy to take a sample from the dip stick tube.

and what if we don't want to shell out the $30 bucks (yea I'm a cheap skate)

Insane SVT Poster
    Troy: Which kit is the better unit, the UPS or the postage paid kit?? Pricing is almost the same..I'm in S. Ca., where are the kits processed?? Thanx

Premium Member
    and what if we don't want to shell out the $30 bucks (yea I'm a cheap skate)
    Wrap your lips around the dip stick tube....and suck really hard. When your mouth is full of oil. Spit it into the test container. Make a note that any moisture detected is saliva.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post
    Troy: Which kit is the better unit, the UPS or the postage paid kit?? Pricing is almost the same..I'm in S. Ca., where are the kits processed?? Thanx
    Ray, I've found UPS to be much more consistent in shipping, so it's worth the extra $1.00. It's arrives at Polaris Labs quicker, and I get results faster. I only have to wait 5-6 business days to have results from samples I send in. Mine go to a lab in Indiana. Here is a list.

Laboratory Location

Indianapolis
    Houston
    Salt Lake City
    Atlanta
    Edmonton

Even if your sample is shipped to Indiana, I can't see it delaying the results more than 2 days.
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 07-25-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
    Wrap your lips around the dip stick tube....and suck really hard. When your mouth is full of oil. Spit it into the test container. Make a note that any moisture detected is saliva.

Premium Member

On a more serious note. I can see unscrewing the oil filter to gain a sample, but make a note that you took the sample from the filter. The lab will take that into consideration, as this isn't going to provide as accurate of sample. Wear metals make read elevated.

I bought the Amsoil 10-30 to throw in once im done doing the first two 500 mile 10-30 nonsynthetic break in changes.. Did you get oil anaylisis back on this weight yet? Hope it will be ok with the Turbos and high boost..
    99 LightninG 430/565 Build# 583 of 4000

08GT500
    MMR 1000| Full ARP Hardware w/Studs|Melling Billet Oil Pump|Comp Valve Springs|Hellion TT|AFCO DF|TF Tank|Eboost2|WOT Box|Dual Aeroforce kit|FRPP Springs|FRPP 3.73s|BBR lca's|

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CuZzO99L View Post
    I bought the Amsoil 10-30 to throw in once im done doing the first two 500 mile 10-30 nonsynthetic break in changes.. Did you get oil anaylisis back on this weight yet? Hope it will be ok with the Turbos and high boost..
    No UOA yet, but I'm boosting up to 17 PSI, and the car runs flawless. No weird noises, an I'm almost convinced that the valve train noise is quieter with 10W-30 than it was with 10W-40. Still, that's just me splitting hairs. What are your plans with the car? Quick bursts down the quarter mile? What cooling mods in your engine (170* stat, upgraded radiator, etc).

Had an L&M custom block that had too great of oil pressure with conventional 10W-30 during break in, so it was chosen to use Amsoil RD20 (5W-20 racing oil) in that 1,000 HP setup cruising down the Texas Mile. Although, that stuff is loaded with ZDDP.
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 07-25-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Troy - did you notice a good amount of valve train noise? Since I drive the car so little I get paranoid. it just seems like its a damn loud motor.

Premium Member
    Troy - did you notice a good amount of valve train noise? Since I drive the car so little I get paranoid. it just seems like its a damn loud motor.
    Considering my previous 4.6L yes, there was more valve train noise...

Considering my 1999 LS1....NO, that thing was a sewing machine.

Both 10W-40 and 10W-30 are so close...the difference may be in my head. I wouldn't worry much about it.

Im about to do my first oil change and wondering what is best to use? Mine is a DD with occasional strip and track. Thinking of pulley and T-stat with HE in near future. Unleashed Beast what do you recommend?

2011 GT500 Shelby Cobra Black/Grabber Blue
    FRPP 2013 TVS, FRPP Oval TB, JLT 123, J&M adj pan hard, Shelby brace, J&M LCA, C&R HE, diode dynamic fog lights, MGW, Nitto drag with SVTPP rims
    SOLD 03 Cobra 520RWHP
    SOLD 95 Mustang GT
    SOLD 88 Mustang GT

No UOA yet, but I'm boosting up to 17 PSI, and the car runs flawless. No weird noises, an I'm almost convinced that the valve train noise is quieter with 10W-30 than it was with 10W-40. Still, that's just me splitting hairs. What are your plans with the car? Quick bursts down the quarter mile? What cooling mods in your engine (170* stat, upgraded radiator, etc).

Had an L&M custom block that had too great of oil pressure with conventional 10W-30 during break in, so it was chosen to use Amsoil RD20 (5W-20 racing oil) in that 1,000 HP setup cruising down the Texas Mile. Although, that stuff is loaded with ZDDP.
    The motor is a MMR1000 stock comp. Melling Billet geared oil pump. My cooling mods are 170* stat, stock radiator, (until someone advises me I truly need a bigger one) Afco Dual fan and a True Forged tank with redline for the S/C coolant. My plans for the car is to keep it very safe and conservative for the street 650 or so would be plenty. Then have a tune with a little more in it for when i get called out lol And I would like to make one nice big boost pull on the Dyno once it's tuned just so I can hang a hefty dyno sheet in my office...(don't flame me) Other then that It will see some interstate time traveling to Houston once or twice a year about 700miles round trip. And eventually go make a cpl 13sec passes down the local 1/4.
    Last edited by CuZzO99L; 07-25-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHT03SVTCOLO View Post
    Im about to do my first oil change and wondering what is best to use? Mine is a DD with occasional strip and track. Thinking of pulley and T-stat with HE in near future. Unleashed Beast what do you recommend?
    Cooking oil low in trans fat! lol

The motor is a MMR1000 stock comp. Melling Billet geared oil pump. My cooling mods are 170* stat, stock radiator, (until someone advises me I truly need a bigger one) Afco Dual fan and a True Forged tank with redline for the S/C coolant. My plans for the car is to keep it very safe and conservative for the street 650 or so would be plenty. Then have a tune with a little more in it for when i get called out lol And I would like to make one nice big boost pull on the Dyno once it's tuned just so I can hang a hefty dyno sheet in my office...(don't flame me) Other then that It will see some interstate time traveling to Houston once or twice a year about 700miles round trip. And eventually go make a cpl 13sec passes down the local 1/4.

Keep an eye on oil pressure. If you don't have a gauge, get one. Report back with your oil pressure using 10W-30 in your engine so we can compare stock to monster build block.

10-4 sir!! ummm where am I tapping in at? lol Thanks.

Premium Member
    10-4 sir!! ummm where am I tapping in at? lol Thanks.
    See post #4 and #9 in this thread.

Oil pressure gauge
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 07-26-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Rookie SVT Poster
    Thanks Men for the Great overview

It's not free, you have to provide your credit card information when you do the test. They send the kit to you free....payment for testing is required later.

Thanks for the sample. You are contributing to the GT500 community and will have first hand knowledge if your engine has any issues.
    Yeah, no worries.

However, I'm not sure what all that means in the spread sheet your posting. Can you elaborate a bit on each colum?

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperBlueCobra View Post
    Yeah, no worries.

However, I'm not sure what all that means in the spread sheet your posting. Can you elaborate a bit on each colum?
    UOA report explanation

Click the link above, then click on "Gas/Diesel" report. When the report opens on your screen, read everything and hover your pointer over all areas for an explanation.

Insane SVT Poster
    What is TBN?? it isn't explained on the sample. I know it's discussed a lot. Higher is better???

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post
    What is TBN?? it isn't explained on the sample. I know it's discussed a lot. Higher is better???
    TBN (Total Base Number) is what we refer to as a detergent additive, or acid neutralizing additive. This is what fights to keep a lubricant neutral on a pH balance to avoid the lubricant become overly acidic and eating away at the metals in an engine.

Yes, the higher the better. Higher TBN in a lubricant normally suggests a longer possible oil change interval.

Ordered the oil pressure kit for my aeroforce. Looking like fri for the first Start up. MMR has instructed me to use Penzoil 10W30 non synthetic untill the I get 500 miles on it, then do one more 500 mile interval with the same 10w30 and then switch to whatever I want. Im really non sure on the whole second 500 mile interval seems like everything should be broken in during the first heat cycle right? How long do you guys normally wait before going on the dyno with a brand new motor? Anyway, I have the Amsoil 10W30 Synthetic and EA filters waiting for post break in.

Page 1 of 32 12345 11 26 ... LastLast