Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 127
  1. #1
    New SVT Poster
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8

    Want to order 2012, but terrified of MT-82 problems

    I test drove several cars over the past few weeks and none of them compared with the mustang. I also test drove an auto and hated it compared to the manual w/ a 373. Should I just get it and hope for the best? Or would it be possible to order one with a Tremec T56?

  2. #2
    Crazy SVT Poster Trbo6gn1's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 2005
    Location
    Abingdon
    Posts
    560
    Do us all a favor and find something else to buy. You'll just become one of the people who bitches and moans about everything on the car. Hell you're already complaining about a car you havn't even bought yet.
    2011 GT
    1987 Grand National
    1999 Regal GSE
    1996 Cobra-Sold

  3. #3
    New SVT Poster
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Trbo6gn1 View Post
    Do us all a favor and find something else to buy. You'll just become one of the people who bitches and moans about everything on the car. Hell you're already complaining about a car you havn't even bought yet.
    I'm just trying not to make a huge mistake. Although it seems like all the cars I'm interested in have something wrong with them, e.g. the rear end of CTS-Vs.

  4. #4
    Crazy SVT Poster 04sonicbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2006
    Location
    bowling green, ohio
    Posts
    549
    Ford is not going to sell a broken vehicle, and if you have problems that's what the warrAnty is for. All cars have problems of some sort.

  5. #5
    SVT God mustangmanjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    somewhereland mexico CT
    Posts
    3,692
    0r how about you wait for the recall? or buy a 2013/2014 model? or buy 1 with the 6 speed auto, the new 6 speed autos are not like the old days of boreing sluggish 3-4 speed auto aod/aode / 4r7w0 transmissions
    1995 MUSTANG GT

    306ci H/C/I BOLT ON'S N/A



  6. #6
    New SVT Poster
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangmanjeff View Post
    0r how about you wait for the recall? or buy a 2013/2014 model? or buy 1 with the 6 speed auto, the new 6 speed autos are not like the old days of boreing sluggish 3-4 speed auto aod/aode / 4r7w0 transmissions
    I drove the auto and hated it compared to the 6 speed with .373. I am just a manual guy, been driving manuals since I turned 16. Waiting for the recall/2013 is a good idea, but right now I am driving a 97 civic that is going to need a bunch of repairs so I'd like to get rid of it before putting any more money in it. Of course, I could fix it up and then use it as my beater.
    Last edited by anthb314; 08-11-2011 at 02:09 AM.

  7. #7
    SVT God mustangmanjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    somewhereland mexico CT
    Posts
    3,692
    Quote Originally Posted by anthb314 View Post
    I drove the auto and hated it compared to the 6 speed with .373. I am just a manual guy, been driving manuals since I turned 16. Waiting for the recall/2013 is a good idea, but right now I am driving a 97 civic that is going to need a bunch of repairs so I'd like to get rid of it while before putting any more money in it. Of course, I could fix it up and then use it as my beater.
    I hear you but FYI..The new autos dont have the problems like the 6 speed manual, and once you do a gear swap / tune they firm up the shifts and the new autos are faster then the 6 speed manuals

  8. #8
    SVT God 351inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Location
    houston tx
    Posts
    2,320
    Never had any problems with my 2011 and I bought it last june/july
    98' Bright Atlantic Blue Cobra TRADED FOR
    98' Gt with mark 8 SOLD
    2008 Mustang GTAlloy Clearcoat Metallic (some mods) 12.7 @ 110 mph 1.81' SOLD
    2011 Black 5.0 11.3 @ 121mph 1.61'


    (COBRA OLD TIMES, 3.73īs, flows, knn drop in, stock h no cats,BFG DRīs)
    12.88 @ 105.77 with 1.79 60 ft
    Race weight: 3375 lbs

  9. #9
    Crazy SVT Poster MyStang2010GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2010
    Location
    FishHawk, FL
    Posts
    198
    I had thoughts like you as well. I have a couple friends with the manual transmission that are having problems. Still, I decided to take my chances anyways since the Boss is a dream car. I also have the 6 Yr / 100,000 mile Extended FORD Warranty if needed. So far...no issues!!
    USAF (Retired) / Gas Turbine Controls Systems Engineer (Current)

    Current: 2014 Mustang GT Premium - DIB (Recaros, Track Pkg) Mods: Boss 302 side exhaust, 2013 GT500 quad tip exhaust, window tint, shorty antenna
    Current: 2013 Ford Fusion SE w/EcoBoost - Tuxedo Black Metallic
    Past Cars:
    2013 Shelby GT500 - Custom 1 of 1

  10. #10
    Rookie SVT Poster jmatero's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    108
    You'll have to decide for yourself whether it's worth taking a chance right now. All you can do is ask yourself how you would feel if yours developed issues. Keep in mind there is still no fix. Also ask yourself how you feel about the way Ford has handled this. If you're seeing red flags, trust your gut. It's only a car and there are other fish in the sea. As a stick driver myself, I completely agree with your assessment of the automatic.

    1. Wait and see what develops with the NHTSA investigation
    2. Get a GT500 which has the Tremec TR6060
    3. Scratch the Mustang off your list and take a look at the competition

    My only advice to you is that, since I've been through two of these transmissions at only 5000 miles...and there is no fix forcing me to pursue the lemon law... The argument "that's what warranties are for" doesn't apply here.

    We don't know how many are affected... But Ford does and will make that available to the NHTSA. I can tell you that the reports to Feds doubled in the past 48 hours.

    Good luck to you!
    Last edited by jmatero; 08-11-2011 at 01:09 AM.

  11. #11
    I make hits Torch10th's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2004
    Location
    Evans, Colorado
    Posts
    6,265
    If you're set on the mustang I would order a car. New GT's are hard to come by right now. Not the least of which has to do with low availability of the MT82 transmission.

    There's been rumors (unsubstantiated) that Ford might be overhauling this piece and possible engine related items which is keeping inventories very low right now.

    With that said, I wouldn't fear the car. It's more likely that you'll receive a good car vs. a poor one. If you do receive a car that has a transmission problem, you at least know that Ford and others are aware of possible issues and there's likely going to be some measure of resolution. This is what the warranty is for.

    As Nike would say. "Just Do It!"

    | 1969 Firebird | 2014 Grand Cherokee Altitude |

    We Drive Harder

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    715
    I haven't had a single issue with mine and it now has 8K+ on the OD.

    I take the car to the track with slicks and run the piss out of it. It has never let me down.

    Personally I think the % of cars with legit transmission issues is low. There are related driveline components that contributed to the majority of owner issues. Ford has rectified most of those. The aftermarket offers solutions.

    1. Replace stock clutch. (I feel Ford has a handle on this.)
    2. Replace stock shifter and remote shifter mount. (I feel Ford does not have a handle on this.)
    3. Replace the transmission fluid. (I use Royal Purple 75w-90 gear oil and it has been great. Ford offers a DCT fluid replacement for those who complain of cold weather shifting notchiness.)
    Last edited by wbt; 08-11-2011 at 02:32 AM.

  13. #13
    Crazy SVT Poster WHITEMACH's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2009
    Location
    j beach FL
    Posts
    558
    if you are that worried get the auto and put in a 3.73 and a tune,,,complete animals!!!

  14. #14
    Crazy SVT Poster dynasty_365's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2011
    Location
    baton rouge, La
    Posts
    748
    Ordered mine in December and got my 12 in may and haven't looked bad. I've had it three months and haven't had any problems with my 6mt with 3.73 gears thank the lord. I've put almost 6000 miles on it 4 months and at times I know I can run it hard. Man I love the new stangs. Stop worrying and go for it. More than likely u won't have any issues

  15. #15
    Rookie SVT Poster
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    136
    get the car. The problem isnt as big as you make it out to be. This car is the bee's knees, if I could go back in time to before I bought the 5.0, I'd probably get a different color but that's it.

  16. #16
    Rookie SVT Poster
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    136
    Also, if you test drove a manual and liked it, then thats even better. Majority of the "issues" people have with the transmission is notchy shifting.

  17. #17
    Rookie SVT Poster jmatero's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by jj6077 View Post
    Also, if you test drove a manual and liked it, then thats even better. Majority of the "issues" people have with the transmission is notchy shifting.
    The MT82 isn't being investigated for notchy shifting. It's being investigated for NO shifting.

  18. #18
    Rookie SVT Poster
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Peru NY
    Posts
    71
    +1 same here

    Quote Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB View Post
    I had thoughts like you as well. I have a couple friends with the manual transmission that are having problems. Still, I decided to take my chances anyways since the Boss is a dream car. I also have the 6 Yr / 100,000 mile Extended FORD Warranty if needed. So far...no issues!!

  19. #19
    5.0 and 5.4 fun 05_Evolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2005
    Location
    Bodymore, Murderland (Baltimore, Maryland)
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB View Post
    I had thoughts like you as well. I have a couple friends with the manual transmission that are having problems. Still, I decided to take my chances anyways since the Boss is a dream car. I also have the 6 Yr / 100,000 mile Extended FORD Warranty if needed. So far...no issues!!
    Agreed. I'm a little worried that I may get a car with issues but that is what warranty's are for and I will be purchasing the extended warranty. I honestly can't wait for my car.
    PAST...
    1993 Ford Mustang 5.0
    2003 SVT Lightning
    2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII
    1996 SVT MYSTIC Cobra
    2010 Subaru WRX Premium

    PRESENT...
    1998 Ford Escort zx2 (Daily driver)

    2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium Yellow Blaze Tri-coat
    Brembos, 3.73's, comfort, and 401a
    JLT Intake, Revolution Automotive dynotune, Bassani axle back, Lethal off road x pipe, 55D springs, and MGW Shifter.

    2004 SVT Lightning
    Stock for now

  20. #20
    Stock 5.0 w/ mods > * dro's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    1,161
    Just don't mod it so you can warranty-up when you have problems.

  21. #21
    Crazy SVT Poster DTRAIN_WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 2010
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by dro View Post
    Just don't mod it so you can warranty-up when you have problems.
    2011 Sterling Gray Metallic 5.0
    Brembo/Roush/Lethal/Lund/RTR/Eibach
    Cheers and Mountaineers

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by anthb314 View Post
    I test drove several cars over the past few weeks and none of them compared with the mustang. I also test drove an auto and hated it compared to the manual w/ a 373. Should I just get it and hope for the best? Or would it be possible to order one with a Tremec T56?
    Buy a camaro.

  23. #23
    Crazy SVT Poster 5.0jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by anthb314 View Post
    I drove the auto and hated it compared to the 6 speed with .373. I am just a manual guy, been driving manuals since I turned 16. Waiting for the recall/2013 is a good idea, but right now I am driving a 97 civic that is going to need a bunch of repairs so I'd like to get rid of it before putting any more money in it. Of course, I could fix it up and then use it as my beater.
    How much of a test drive did you do with the auto?
    My first test drive was 5 min and I didn't like it either but after having issues with my 3.73 6M and hating traffic, I decided to give the auto a more thorough test drive and really open it up. Ended up trading my manual for one.
    Other than the first gear in the 3.73 manual the auto is faster every where else stock. Great in traffic too.
    BTW I am normally a die hard manual only driver and also have been driving manual since 16 and am now 35.
    I personally wouldn't recommend a 6M 5.0 to anyone until they work out the gremlins.
    2014 DIB 5.0 6Speed Auto
    2014 Murano SL
    2012 Black 5.0 Brembo, 3.73's, Roush AB, O/R H, Bama 93R Sold
    RAV4 V6 Sport sold
    2007 Speed 3 Fully Bolted sold

    12' MT82 Bama tune, 12.96@ 113.2 2.23 60ft
    14' 6R80 5.0 stock, 12.83@ 113.5 2.25 60ft

  24. #24
    Crazy SVT Poster Lone Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2011
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by SicShelby09 View Post
    Buy a camaro.
    Then he will complain about getting beaten by a 5.0 with a bad MT82! Its a never ending cycle for him.
    2011 Performance White GT Premium, 3.73's, 401a, Roush axle-backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, Center Fog Grille, Staggered 18" Black Chrome FR500's, 255/45/18 295/45/18, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Trans Bracket, BAMA Tuned, Hood struts, 20% Tint

  25. #25
    Rookie SVT Poster
    Join Date
    June 2011
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    I haven't had a single issue with mine and it now has 8K+ on the OD.

    I take the car to the track with slicks and run the piss out of it. It has never let me down.

    Personally I think the % of cars with legit transmission issues is low. There are related driveline components that contributed to the majority of owner issues. Ford has rectified most of those. The aftermarket offers solutions.

    1. Replace stock clutch. (I feel Ford has a handle on this.)
    2. Replace stock shifter and remote shifter mount. (I feel Ford does not have a handle on this.)
    3. Replace the transmission fluid. (I use Royal Purple 75w-90 gear oil and it has been great. Ford offers a DCT fluid replacement for those who complain of cold weather shifting notchiness.)
    Good advice here!
    Currently have 18k miles on mine and it's doing great. But, I have had trans problems that were resolved by Ford and myself.
    At about 6k miles trans was repaired for "grinding" on every 5th gear shift. Also had "notchy" and difficult shifting in lower gears. Dealer rebuilt trans with new syncrhos and associated parts. No grinding after rebuild, but it was still notchy and also very difficult to shift while turning left during shift.
    1. Installed Steeda shifter and Barton bracket
    2. Replaced trans fluid, tried several, currently using RP 75W90 (like it best)
    These changes made a big difference!

    Car does get all sideways on 1 to 2 shift. Thinking this could cause a crash...better let the Feds know.
    2011 Sterling Gray 5.0 Manual - Sold
    2012 White GT/CS - Auto, Eforce 7psi, Brenspeed Tune, UPR O/R X, UMI Brackets, UMI lca's, P springs, D-Specs, Steeda PH Bar, Dynotech DS, Racestars

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •