Rookie SVT Poster

Question Mechanical rubbing noise when driving slow and turning

2012 owner here, car built in June 2011.

I've been hearing a mechanical rubbing noise (hard to explain, it's not loud loud, but audible enough) that is only heard when travelling slow in parking lots, for example, and is most noticeable when turning.

From a sidenote on another thread, I read that this may be a normal powering steering noise. I have the non-SVTPP wheels/tires, fwiw. Originally I wondered if it was the transmission. I'd be happy to hear it wasnt, but am curious if this is considered COMMON or just NORMAL.

I plan to bring it in for its first oil change before winter kicks in. Any suggestions?
    2012 Shelby GT500 -- Kona Blue, Oxford White Stripes, Shaker 1000, Recaro Seats

From my experience. I am sure someone else has more info. But, I brought mine to the dealer for the same thing when I first got mine. The lead SVT tech that it is the rear end locker/axle and that it is normal... He said he could lube it a little more and it would maybe quiet it a tad. But, not get rid of it... He also said Ford sent a letter to all dealers explaining that this is normal.
    2011 White GT500 SVTPP/Nav/Glass Roof
    2.6 pulley, VMP Tune, C&R HE, 3x Stock look Intercooler tank, Eibach Pro-Street Coilovers, Shelby sway bars, BMR Adj Pan-hard bar, BMR Adj UCA, BMR Billet LCA, BMR LCA relocation brackets, Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates, FRPP Resonator Delete,NXT Hood Struts

Engine Lubrication Guru UnleashedBeast's Avatar
    Premium Member
    I doubt it's the electric power steering system since you have the non-SVTPP wheels (19"). If it's coming from the back of the car, it's the clutches making noise in the diff.

Add friction modifier to the rear differential. That will solve it.
    2014 Mustang GT: Sterling Gray | NAV | Recaros | Brembos | Glass Roof | back up camera | 6 speed auto

2007+ Shelby GT500 UOA thread | 2012+ Boss 302 UOA Thread | 2011+ GT UOA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
    I doubt it's the electric power steering system since you have the non-SVTPP wheels (19"). If it's coming from the back of the car, it's the clutches making noise in the diff.

Add friction modifier to the rear differential. That will solve it.
    I am not familiar............What is the difference in the front wheels/tires, SVTPP and non-SVTPP? I assume the wheel design and finish may be different between the two but that would not affect p/s function.

R
    Last edited by Robert M; 10-22-2011 at 09:16 AM.

i had 2009 and had the same problem went to the dealer and said its normal and common almost in 4 of 5 cars in generally he also gave me a print that explain the issue that came from the factory (i hope i can find it to post here for you), so i didn't bother as long as he said that and i have the warranty, so i lived with it with out any problem, and after that i was aiming for the new 2011 and sold my car and bought the new beast the same day i bought it i was trying to parking my car in the garage i heard the ugly noise and start laughing (come on not again am i holding a curse inside me that moving to everything i touch)so later went to the dealer and said to me the same thing

end of story

Shelby GT500 2009(red white strips)(sold)
    Shelby GT500 2011(
    white red strips)

The carbon fiber diff clutches do that after you get on it hard. Driving gently for a while, or doing some figure 8s will free them up and it'll be quiet again. I wouldn't add friction modifier as I think it'll just make 'em slip more all the time. ..But that's me. I live with the occasional "groaning" noise on both my '08 Bullitt and my '09 KR - they both have the identical rear axle assy.
    '08 Bullitt - Highland Green
    '09 GT-500KR - Black/Black