Shoe suggestions for warehouse work

just started a new job at a warehouse, walking 10-12hrs, 4 days a week, and my feet and knees are killing me right now. i'm wearing a pair of nike free shoes but barefoot-esque running shoes obviously aren't quite ideal.
    so does anyone have any suggestions? i'd prefer a shoe over a boot(weight), and something that might be available locally. don't need steel toes.
    Offending some, confusing most...

my luck is worse than yours

Running shoes and some Dr. Scholls pads.

People thought I was nuts, but I'm on my feet 13-14 hours a day at work on a concrete surface. I bought a set of Z-Coil shoes:
    https://shoes.zcoil.com/

It felt like I was walking on clouds. All leg and lower back pain disappeared. The heel portion is replaceable as well so if that portion wears out first you can just replace it.

They're not cheap, but they were worth every penny IMO. They last quite awhile too. I used to wear NB's and I'll go through a pair every 2-3 months. These lasted closer to six with the replaceable heels.

I wouldn't purchase them unless you can try them on somewhere local first. First couple steps were wobbly, but man for the pain they saved, I'd pay alot more!
    Luke

65 mustang, a bug and a yellow car

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRBLT View Post
    Running shoes and some Dr. Scholls pads.
    any specific brands? i've heard new balance and asics are great for this kinda stuff, skate shoes too.

Quote Originally Posted by 65x2 View Post
    People thought I was nuts, but I'm on my feet 13-14 hours a day at work on a concrete surface. I bought a set of Z-Coil shoes:
    https://shoes.zcoil.com/

It felt like I was walking on clouds. All leg and lower back pain disappeared. The heel portion is replaceable as well so if that portion wears out first you can just replace it.

They're not cheap, but they were worth every penny IMO. They last quite awhile too. I used to wear NB's and I'll go through a pair every 2-3 months. These lasted closer to six with the replaceable heels.

I wouldn't purchase them unless you can try them on somewhere local first. First couple steps were wobbly, but man for the pain they saved, I'd pay alot more!
    gotta say, those things look pretty damn ****ing ugly, LOL. i'd checkem' out, but that's a little expensive for my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Trapp0 View Post
    any specific brands? i've heard new balance and asics are great for this kinda stuff, skate shoes too.

gotta say, those things look pretty damn ****ing ugly, LOL. i'd checkem' out, but that's a little expensive for my blood.

They are ugly, no joke there. Get alot of comments about lowering springs too But comfort was slick and the price is tough to swallow. I got my last pair on Ebay though for 80+/-.

Otherwise, I agree on running shoes and inserts. I loved my NBs compared to anything else I tried.

All the major brands, it all depends how it feels on you.

i wear some under armor running shoes, works great for me
    Click for pics
    Old '03 Cobra - Old '04 Mach 1 - Old '00 GT

Dying to own an '03 OW Cobra...

Listen here, the LAST thing that should cross your mind is how much you spent on shoes! With your new job, pay for the best pair you can afford or you'll be kicking your ass later. I do painting for a living and wear New Balance shoes. Started a side job and ended up working 70+ hrs a week painting and remodeling a house. First month I trashed my NB shoes and bought some cheapy shoes because I didn't want to trash another pair of $70 shoes, BIG MISTAKE!!! Two weeks in and I had difficulty walking and getting up in the morning was a b***c because my feet hurt so bad when I got out of bed.

Ended up getting New Balance shoes again with a gel insert and although my feet are better, 3 months later they still bother me. My previous job I bought a pair of Redwings($150) and they were the best(and most expensive) shoes I've ever owned. O have the next month off and I'm doing all a can to get my feet back to normal, don't be like me

Edit: In short- You get what you pay for.
    Last edited by black92; 01-01-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Dont know if your required to wear steel toes. I am, and would recommend Dr, Martens. Those were the most comfortable shoes for me in my 17yrs in wearing steel toes.
    2009 GT500, VMP TVS, VMP Elbow, VMP 2.4 upper, Metco Idler, JLT 127 CAI, FRPP CJ 65, 72lb inj., KB bap, Lethal o/r H-pipe, Corsa axle backs, Lund Tune, Spec Twin Disc SS Trim, FRPP lowering springs, LFP heat exchanger, Bob's LCA, SVTPP Wheels, White w/ Blue Stripes
    98 Cobra, 1.5L K.B SOLD

Putin 2016. Yup. NO-BlkLightning2K's Avatar
    personally, i like my cats. they're comfortable and they last for ****ing ever. i have the caterpillar alaskan steel toe. but since you don't require a steel toe, i'd recommend the regular alaskan. i've owned a couple pairs of those as well and they're even more comfortable since the toe has some give to it.

Quote Originally Posted by phinhead34 View Post
    Dont know if your required to wear steel toes. I am, and would recommend Dr, Martens. Those were the most comfortable shoes for me in my 17yrs in wearing steel toes.
    never did get why people keep saying that. i finally got a pair of docs (well 4 years ago. lol.) and i was not impressed with them.
    Last edited by NO-BlkLightning2K; 01-01-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Timberland makes a great pair of work boots. Expensive though...
    03 Cobra TR Vert, sold
    2012 silver GT 8.2 @ 87MPH, 2.0 60' 1/8 // Bama 91 race tune, Boss 302 mani, JLT CAI, lethal ORX, GT500 mufflers, FR 3.73's, Eibach sportlines, 285 MT street comp...new times coming

Quote Originally Posted by Naturesmistake View Post
    He probably started in the wrong gear. If you can drive and the kid can't, I can see this happening (him stuck in sixth or something retarded). He may have also actually been retarded... He may have also had cerebral palsy and was also partially blind... He may have also been a turtle and not a human at all...

Get crocs or those finger shoes.
    Be well.
    Quote Originally Posted by 20-COBRA-03 View Post
    keep talking punk. i'll fly out there and we'll see how big your balls are
    Quote Originally Posted by SCBQQSTN View Post
    A lot of you are very close minded pricks, which is why you will only ever own a cobra, never an exotic. It doesn't matter if you have 1000 rwhp for all I care, its still a mustang. Bye middle class workers.

Nike also has a "walking" version of their Free Run called the "Free Walk". I wear the Free Walks, and I work 10 hours a day. When I come home my feet feel fine. Also check out "Brooks Addiction Walkers".
    "I call out your God, until before me he stands--but don't send me Jesus; he's only a man." - GWAR

Take a look at these...Dansko

i was having the same problem as you a few months ago. i bought new shoes with $50 inserts, new work boots, neither of them worked. my feet just got used to it.

get a good pair of walkers. The RBKs I was using as a waiter and bartender were the most comfortable shoes I had.

As mentioned previously, those z-coils look funny but everyone I know who has worn them, love them.

thanks a lot for all the suggestions guys, looks like i have some shoes and boots to try out tomorrow. i'll post up my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by black92 View Post
    Listen here, the LAST thing that should cross your mind is how much you spent on shoes! With your new job, pay for the best pair you can afford or you'll be kicking your ass later. I do painting for a living and wear New Balance shoes. Started a side job and ended up working 70+ hrs a week painting and remodeling a house. First month I trashed my NB shoes and bought some cheapy shoes because I didn't want to trash another pair of $70 shoes, BIG MISTAKE!!! Two weeks in and I had difficulty walking and getting up in the morning was a b***c because my feet hurt so bad when I got out of bed.

Ended up getting New Balance shoes again with a gel insert and although my feet are better, 3 months later they still bother me. My previous job I bought a pair of Redwings($150) and they were the best(and most expensive) shoes I've ever owned. O have the next month off and I'm doing all a can to get my feet back to normal, don't be like me

Edit: In short- You get what you pay for.
    i've been unemployed for a while, so my budget is tight right now. i'm looking for something to at least get me through a couple pay checks so that i can save some cash and buy a pair of quality shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by myblackgt View Post
    i was having the same problem as you a few months ago. i bought new shoes with $50 inserts, new work boots, neither of them worked. my feet just got used to it.
    i've had a few jobs where i'm on my feet all day, but it's been a few years. i know the first 2 weeks or so will suck regardless of the shoes, but i'm sure i can make it 'suck less'(LOL) with some better shoes.

Crazy SVT Poster
    Might want to look into Sketchers boots. I bought a pair a few years back and finally trashed them a couple weeks ago. Ran me about $45, were durable, and pretty comfortable. I spent 8-14hr a day on my feet, and those handled it well. Also look like a basic nice professional/work boot, so nothing too obnoxious or that would stand out.

Rookie SVT Poster
    Justin double comfort slip on work boots. They have replaceable inserts and I believe 7 or 8 layers of cushion. Im on my feet all day and my feet never hurt after a shift.

Look up Georgia Boot Romeos. Trust me when I say this but those are the most comfortable shoes you can ever get.

US Navy (retired) Silver2003Cobra's Avatar
    I've had a couple pair of Danner work boots.. completely wore out the soles twice on the first pair before I retired them, working on my 2nd pair of boots now and incredibly comfortable..
    member #3143

Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have ****ed with? That's me.

2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins and G56

had 03 Cobra coupe #7015 of 8394 born May 13 2003 (Tuesday)

had 97 Pacific Green Coupe #2442 of 6961 100% stock

Remington 700 BDL, 375 Ultra Mag, the most powerful medium bore rifle made, good for anything from rabbits to elephants..

Quote Originally Posted by Silver2003Cobra View Post
    I've had a couple pair of Danner work boots.. completely wore out the soles twice on the first pair before I retired them, working on my 2nd pair of boots now and incredibly comfortable..
    I think you missed the part where he said he wasn't looking to spend a lot of coin. Danner's aren't exactly cheap boots.

OP if you can get away with running shoes I've been on a pair of Under Armour's for quite a while. I think they are very comfortable. (run, cross train, leisure, etc in them) 50 bucks I think.