Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: 3.08 Gear

  1. #1
    Rookie SVT Poster shts_weak's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    93

    3.08 Gear

    i currently have 3.55s and im debating if i should go with a 3.08? my car is a DD and it has 620rwhp..what are your thoughts/opinions?
    04 Whipple Cobra.

  2. #2
    Insane SVT Poster
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by shts_weak View Post
    i currently have 3.55s and im debating if i should go with a 3.08? my car is a DD and it has 620rwhp..what are your thoughts/opinions?
    I have 3.73's and wish I stuck with 3.55's or went with 3.27's with 550rwhp. I don't know of anyone who has gone to 3.08's. Might be a bit extreme.
    2003 Cobra: Motor built by L&M Engines, ported eaton 2.8 upper/4lb lower, Ford GT cams, Mac LT's, BBK catted H, Magnaflow catback, return fuel system, killer chiller with trunk mounted tank.

    2008 Ducati 1098

  3. #3
    SVT God mach1033's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,460
    I'm going 327's come summer. 308's and you will have a nice top end charge. I'm willing to bet that you would be the first to go to a 308.

  4. #4
    Rookie SVT Poster shts_weak's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    93
    im just looking for better gas mileage!

  5. #5
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    October 2010
    Location
    Northern Oklahoma
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by shts_weak View Post
    im just looking for better gas mileage!
    with 620hp?
    03 cobra - sold

  6. #6
    Rookie SVT Poster shts_weak's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    93
    im getting 17-19 city (out of boost) 25 hwy

  7. #7
    Insane SVT Poster
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by shts_weak View Post
    im getting 17-19 city (out of boost) 25 hwy
    wow!!! that's pretty high.

  8. #8
    Well Blow Me Down!!! HURTNEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2005
    Location
    World Wide
    Posts
    1,865
    I believe C6Zs come with 3.27s and Vipers come with 3.08s. I don't know of anyone with a Cobra that has tried 3.08s, but I'd imagine with your HP level it shouldn't bog off the line. You will definitely get much better traction and have longer gears which is great for the street. 0-60 in 1st gear will be a good time I'm sure!

  9. #9
    Insane SVT Poster
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTNEM View Post
    I believe C6Zs come with 3.27s and Vipers come with 3.08s. I don't know of anyone with a Cobra that has tried 3.08s, but I'd imagine with your HP level it shouldn't bog off the line. You will definitely get much better traction and have longer gears which is great for the street. 0-60 in 1st gear will be a good time I'm sure!
    hmm interesting. something consider. I know i'm going from my 3.73's to at least 3.27's I'd like to know how 3.08's would be.

  10. #10
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    December 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    519
    Someone needs to compute the speeds. When power goes up even only to 500 1st gear is WAY to short and 5/6th gear... well they aren't really that much of an over drive to start with. I absolutely hate the ratios the 03 cobras came with.
    03 Cobra Redfire Coupe Dearly missed

  11. #11
    Insane SVT Poster
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagittaria View Post
    Someone needs to compute the speeds. When power goes up even only to 500 1st gear is WAY to short and 5/6th gear... well they aren't really that much of an over drive to start with. I absolutely hate the ratios the 03 cobras came with.
    Agreed 1st gear is too short. I have a spreadsheet at home that calculates speeds in each gear. I'll have to remember to dig it up.

  12. #12
    Rookie SVT Poster shts_weak's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    93
    Gear MPH
    1st 61.7
    2nd 92.1
    3rd 126.2
    4th 164.0
    5th 205.0
    6th 260.4

    Axle ratio 3.08 and RPM@6500

    Tire size was 295/35/18
    Last edited by shts_weak; 01-14-2012 at 01:41 AM.

  13. #13
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    December 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by shts_weak View Post
    Gear MPH
    1st 61.7
    2nd 92.1
    3rd 126.2
    4th 164.0
    5th 205.0
    6th 260.4

    Axle ratio 3.08 and RPM@6500

    Tire size was 295/35/18
    That looks nice actually I'm a big fan of the Corvette Z06 ratios... which it looks like almost (except they have actual overdrives ) Probably not the best for the strip w/ slicks but it'll get rid of the butt load of power coming way too soon everywhere else. Think they wanted the Terminators to be burnout machines only looking at the stock ratios/speeds

    C6Z06
    1st. 2.66 = 61 mph
    2nd. 1.78 = 91 mph
    3rd. 1.30 = 125 mph
    4th. 1.00 = 162 mph
    5th. 0.74 = 220 mph
    6th. 0.50 = 325 mph

    Us w/ 3.08s
    1st. 2.66 = 61 mph
    2nd. 1.78 = 92 mph
    3rd. 1.30 = 126 mph
    4th. 1.00 = 164 mph
    5th. 0.80 = 205 mph
    6th. 0.63 = 260 mph

    A 3.08 might be in order I think
    Last edited by Sagittaria; 01-14-2012 at 08:06 AM.

  14. #14
    Rookie SVT Poster shts_weak's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    93
    yep. im excited!

  15. #15
    SVT God Blueline's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,520
    One thought I had since these "higher rear gear" threads have come up. Our cars are known to have a very tight piston to wall clearance, hence the no boosting in 5th and 6th gear. These gears really lug the motor and generate alot of heat because of it. Lowering to the 3.27 or 3.08 gears, wouldnt this cause the same now to happen in say 4th or 3rd if you dont pull 2nd all the way to the top? Maybe not so much 3rd, but def. 4th gear? I may be way off my rocker or nuts for thinking this but figured I would ask. Granted these would only be a concern with stock motors with stock pistons/wall etc with no mods. Any thoughts on this guys?

    2003 DSG Cobra

  16. #16
    SVT God TVSCobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,520
    I have 327s and love them. Plan on whipple, POSI or what VMP is about to offer.
    VMP TVS with 2.8 pulley - Kurgan Tuned
    JLT Hight Boost CAI with Amsoil Dry flow filter
    VMP GT500 TB and inlet
    60 LB injectors - KB BAP
    JLT Oil separator - Gords Heat Exchanger
    3.27 gears in a Iron IRS housing
    Pacesetter 1 5/8 LTs - Pacesetter O/R X
    Bassani CB
    Spec 3+ Clutch - Fidanza Flywhhel
    26 Spline input shaft - Lethal Performance Retainer
    RP 170 T-stat
    Autometer boost, oil pressure and oil temp.
    Aeroforce Intercepter with Wideband bank 2
    Innovate Motorsports MTX Wideband bank 1
    MGW Shifter - Venom shift mod
    Reman Cobra engine born Dec 12, 2012
    Jabsco pump for intercooling system
    Lethal Performance Head cooling mod
    Remote IAC setup
    VMP idlers - Metco 100 mm Auxillary idler
    SCT BA2600
    H&R Race Springs
    LPW Diff cover - FTBR Diff bushings
    Gen III Killer Chiller


    BMW Master Technician

  17. #17
    SVT God mach1033's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    One thought I had since these "higher rear gear" threads have come up. Our cars are known to have a very tight piston to wall clearance, hence the no boosting in 5th and 6th gear. These gears really lug the motor and generate alot of heat because of it. Lowering to the 3.27 or 3.08 gears, wouldnt this cause the same now to happen in say 4th or 3rd if you dont pull 2nd all the way to the top? Maybe not so much 3rd, but def. 4th gear? I may be way off my rocker or nuts for thinking this but figured I would ask. Granted these would only be a concern with stock motors with stock pistons/wall etc with no mods. Any thoughts on this guys?
    It would be more stressful than a stock geared 4th gear pull but not as bad as 5th/6th. Those overdrive gears do not stress the engine because of the additional time in the gear but rather because of the additional stress it causes to "chug" on the engine from overdriving it (each rev not creating 1 rev at the tailshaft of the trans. This stress finds the weak point in the engine. I.e. Piston to wall clearance. I quoted this from a tuner hope this helps.
    Last edited by mach1033; 01-14-2012 at 01:46 PM.

  18. #18
    SVT God Blueline's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,520
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1033 View Post
    It would be more stressful than a stock geared 4th gear pull but not as bad as 5th/6th. Those overdrive gears do not stress the engine because of the additional time in the gear but rather because of the additional stress it causes to "chug" on the engine from overdriving it (each rev not creating 1 rev at the tailshaft of the trans. This stress finds the weak point in the engine. I.e. Piston to wall clearance. I quoted this from a tuner hope this helps.
    Thanks Al!

  19. #19
    Lake Bum earico's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,241
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1033 View Post
    It would be more stressful than a stock geared 4th gear pull but not as bad as 5th/6th. Those overdrive gears do not stress the engine because of the additional time in the gear but rather because of the additional stress it causes to "chug" on the engine from overdriving it (each rev not creating 1 rev at the tailshaft of the trans. This stress finds the weak point in the engine. I.e. Piston to wall clearance. I quoted this from a tuner hope this helps.
    I agree. Don't forget about the increased wind resistance at those high speeds making the strain on the driveline even greater. It gets exponentially worse the faster you go.

    2010 e85 GT-R
    2008 CCSB F-250 6.4 King Ranch
    2003 S-Type Jag 4.2
    2003 Cobra Convertible - GONE

  20. #20
    SVT God mach1033's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,460
    My main reason for going to a 327 is traction. Plus I like the idea of keeping it in gear longer.

  21. #21
    SVT God mach1033's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Thanks Al!
    So are you going with the 327's?

  22. #22
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    October 2005
    Location
    Elkview, WV
    Posts
    977
    My car has 308 gears....supposedly. The previous owner had them installed. Based on the calculations above I do believe that I do have 308's because I shift into 3rd and I'm going right above 90. Only mods are a Bassani exhaust, 2.8 pulley, CAI, and a C&L MAF. I don't like it because your flying by the time your deep into 3rd. Where I live I NEVER need to go 100+ and I'm basically doing that before I get out of second. Seems like a waste to me to have such tall gears and a 5th and 6th gear that is already over-driven. My first mod will be 410's

    My car was the daily driver for its previous owner. He did a lot of interstate travel in Va so he swapped them for gas mileage I suppose.

    Also...I guess if you were making 600+ horsepower it might be fun.....but I'm probably barely over 400.
    Last edited by RichM1983; 01-14-2012 at 02:22 PM.

  23. #23
    SVT God mach1033's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,460
    Quote Originally Posted by RichM1983 View Post
    My car has 308 gears....supposedly. The previous owner had them installed. Based on the calculations above I do believe that I do have 308's because I shift into 3rd and I'm going right above 90. Only mods are a Bassani exhaust, 2.8 pulley, CAI, and a C&L MAF. I don't like it because your flying by the time your deep into 3rd. Where I live I NEVER need to go 100+ and I'm basically doing that before I get out of second. Seems like a waste to me to have such tall gears and a 5th and 6th gear that is already over-driven. My first mod will be 410's

    My car was the daily driver for its previous owner. He did a lot of interstate travel in Va so he swapped them for gas mileage I suppose.

    Also...I guess if you were making 600+ horsepower it might be fun.....but I'm probably barely over 400.
    At your power level you would be correct. Once you start getting in the mid 600's to 700 and above then thats where the tall gears would benefit us. 373's would be a nice gear for your set up. 410's and your 1st gear will be a distant memory.

  24. #24
    SVT God Blueline's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,520
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1033 View Post
    So are you going with the 327's?
    Just dropped off my rear this morning to get the new gears installed. I stayed with the 3.55's Al. I think the 3.55 is a great all around gear.

  25. #25
    SVT God mach1033's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Just dropped off my rear this morning to get the new gears installed. I stayed with the 3.55's Al. I think the 3.55 is a great all around gear.
    Damn looks like it will just be me doing it then. Maybe I will go down to a 278 and go 80 mph in first

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •