Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Unknown Cyborg 03 DSG Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    19,616

    Seafoam to find an exhaust leak?

    I've been dealing with what seems like an exhaust leak, but it 's hard to track down and is only audible under load.

    Flipping around the web I've seen ideas such as stuffing a towel in the tailpipe, but with a crossover in the exhaust I don't think it would work as good. Another idea was using Seafoam and following the white smoke. This seems like it might be the easiest way to track it down?

    2003 DSG Cobra Coupe
    Borla Catback, Bassani catted X, Bassani mid-length headers, Spec Stage 3+, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, 26 spline upgrade, Accufab TB, PHP Intake, Tri-Ax, 2.80" Upper, XCal 3 - RET Custom Tune
    484 rwhp/479 rwtq
    Suspension: 00R Brembos, Maximum Motorsports 375/575 Coil Overs, C/C Plates, STB, Tubular A-Arms, IRS Urethane, Alum Rack Bushings, Alum Diff Bushings, MM tuned Struts/Shocks, K Member Brace, Full Length Subs, Steeda IRS brackets/diff brace, CCW 550s - 18x9.5, 18x11

    2007 Tungsten Grey Shelby GT500 Coupe
    2.65" Pulley, FRPP Intake, FRPP Handling Pack, Steeda LCAs, MM Panhard Bar, C/C plates, Alum DS, RET Tune
    545rwhp/530rwtq

    2013 Focus ST

  2. #2
    SVT God cbr repsol's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2006
    Location
    Victorville,Ca
    Posts
    5,137
    sounds like exhaust manifold gasket or if u have lt's header gaskets. I bough a 89 ford bronco and had the same problem. I could only hear the leak under load, 1200-1400 rpm. I thought maybe the manifold was cracked since its such a old vehicle. I pulled the manifolds off and sure enough the bolts were loose and the gaskets were destroyed.

    I dont think the sea foam would be the greatest idea since that stuff is pretty nasty , it really smokes you out. Dont want u to be breathing that stuff looking for a leak under the car.. if u do wind up doing that make sure the car is outside very well vented and not in the garage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
    Power, I want it all

  3. #3
    SVT God Blueline's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,499
    What if you smoke it from the tail pipe in? I wonder if you could fill the exhaust through the tail pipes without starting the car obviously, just use a smoke machine or something to fill it

    2003 DSG Cobra

  4. #4
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    December 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    519
    Under load it's usually header/manifold gaskets... I've pulled mine twice for the same reason... stupid Kooks gaskets.
    03 Cobra Redfire Coupe Dearly missed

  5. #5
    SVT God cbr repsol's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2006
    Location
    Victorville,Ca
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    What if you smoke it from the tail pipe in? I wonder if you could fill the exhaust through the tail pipes without starting the car obviously, just use a smoke machine or something to fill it
    really dont think that would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagittaria View Post
    Under load it's usually header/manifold gaskets... I've pulled mine twice for the same reason... stupid Kooks gaskets.
    just as i said

  6. #6
    Unknown Cyborg 03 DSG Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    19,616
    My guess is it's the damn header gaskets as well. In my last project we found the #1 primary very loose. Tightened it up but the gasket is probably dead already.

    This is a nice setback while my Whipple sits lonely in the garage.

    Car has Bassani headers btw.

  7. #7
    SVT God Blueline's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr repsol View Post
    really dont think that would work.
    Why dont you think it would work? Im just curious, I dont know if it would or wouldnt, just thought of it. I know shops use smoke machines to fine leaks in EVAP systems etc.

  8. #8
    SVT God cbr repsol's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2006
    Location
    Victorville,Ca
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Why dont you think it would work? Im just curious, I dont know if it would or wouldnt, just thought of it. I know shops use smoke machines to fine leaks in EVAP systems etc.
    well u would have to plug up one pipe properly then the other tail pipe would have to have something made so the smoke your putting in doesnt come right back out. Then by the time it got through the muffler and cats i dont think the effect would work properly. also if u have the stock kmember its pretty hard to see under the car properly to see where the smokes coming from. Its also tough to see from the top sides as well cause the dohc motors are pretty wide. the smoke machine is mainly used to thread onto the gas tank and check the evap system. If im wrong give me a good reason why ...but from my exper it really sounds like manifold gaskets.

  9. #9
    Unknown Cyborg 03 DSG Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    19,616
    Dwight, you know a good spot on these motors to hook an engine support brace to drop the K?

  10. #10
    SVT God cbr repsol's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2006
    Location
    Victorville,Ca
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by 03 DSG Snake View Post
    Dwight, you know a good spot on these motors to hook an engine support brace to drop the K?
    click link 1000 Lb. Capacity Engine Support Bar

  11. #11
    SVT God Blueline's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr repsol View Post
    well u would have to plug up one pipe properly then the other tail pipe would have to have something made so the smoke your putting in doesnt come right back out. Then by the time it got through the muffler and cats i dont think the effect would work properly. also if u have the stock kmember its pretty hard to see under the car properly to see where the smokes coming from. Its also tough to see from the top sides as well cause the dohc motors are pretty wide. the smoke machine is mainly used to thread onto the gas tank and check the evap system. If im wrong give me a good reason why ...but from my exper it really sounds like manifold gaskets.
    Im not saying your wrong, I just thought it may work and after reading the OP, it was something I just thought of.

  12. #12
    SVT God MalcolmV8's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2003
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    4,795
    Noise under load is normally header gaskets. However when it's just a pin hole in the exhaust you can start the car cold in the garage and let it idle for a few minutes, garage door open of course. Then look under and you'll see a few droplets of water on the ground where the leak is at.
    03 Cobra

    2.9 Whipple crusher @ 27.5 PSI, return fuel system, fore hat, fuel rails, ID 1000 injectors, PTFE teflon fuel hose -10 supply, -8 return, Fore FPR, GT500 slot MAF
    Tuned myself with SCT PRP
    -19cc diamond pistons, 26 spline, RXT twin disk, McLeod steel retainer, fiore firewall adjuster, steeda quick release quadrant, MGW shifter, N2MB WOT shift box, billet flow idlers, LFP heat exchanger, Bassani catless X, Borla Stingers, DynoJet wideband, speedhut gauges with speed of sound pods. MM Caster/Camber plates. Hood Shocks. 170F thermostat.
    Water methanol injection
    Zex 100 shot nitrous
    J&S Vampire anti knock
    MD Racing Lean Protection Module
    Flex Fuel on E85 at times
    17x10.5 - MT ET Streets
    Lowered
    IRS brace after cracked diff cover.
    Window tint, magnetic oil plug & tons of other misc BS I'm not gonna list


    Lean Protection Module - Group Buy Thread
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ection-Module!



    05 Tundra 4.7 quad cam
    98 Civic Precision turbo, built forged motor 9.0:1
    07 BMW 335xi twin turbo AWD

  13. #13
    Unknown Cyborg 03 DSG Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    19,616
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr repsol View Post
    Yea, I meant where the hell can hook them on the Cobra motors?

  14. #14
    SVT God cbr repsol's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2006
    Location
    Victorville,Ca
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by 03 DSG Snake View Post
    Yea, I meant where the hell can hook them on the Cobra motors?
    ive seen people make brakets like this if wanting to hold it or drop in from the top.

    hope this helps

    Last edited by cbr repsol; 02-19-2012 at 11:28 PM.

  15. #15
    SVT God Fat-cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,015
    Time for some Stage 8 Locking header bolts lol
    2003 SVT 5.4L Turbo / Auto / Built Cobra
    2003 SVT WHIPPLE COBRA On the Bottle ( SOLD )
    2013 Ford Fusion 1.6 Eco boost (daily)
    2007 Ford Explorer EB V8 (wifey)

  16. #16
    MUST HAVE BOOST!!! DSG2NV03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Corpus Christi
    Posts
    1,863
    and Remflex gaskets.. I have them on my bassani headers for a few years now with no issues! With the tranny still installed, I just hooked the support brace to the studs almost at the top of the timing cover. You could also do a idler pulley on the driver side and a tensioner bolt on the passenger. Seen and done it both ways.
    2012 Super Crew Ecoboost F-150 FX4
    2003 DSG Cobra #4107 of 8394
    1996 Mystic Cobra #1837 of 2000 SOLD

  17. #17
    Unknown Cyborg 03 DSG Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    19,616
    Quote Originally Posted by DSG2NV03 View Post
    and Remflex gaskets.. I have them on my bassani headers for a few years now with no issues! With the tranny still installed, I just hooked the support brace to the studs almost at the top of the timing cover. You could also do a idler pulley on the driver side and a tensioner bolt on the passenger. Seen and done it both ways.
    What bolts are you using for the headers?

  18. #18
    MUST HAVE BOOST!!! DSG2NV03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Corpus Christi
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by 03 DSG Snake View Post
    What bolts are you using for the headers?
    I am using stage 8 lockers, some of the tear drop things I had to modify to get to fit. I believe it was only a few that had to be modified with a dremel.

  19. #19
    Rookie SVT Poster
    Join Date
    April 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    41
    How hard is it to get to the bolts and replace the gasket its not the 15 hour job it took me to get the damn headers on is it?

  20. #20
    Unknown Cyborg 03 DSG Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    19,616
    Quote Originally Posted by DSG2NV03 View Post
    I am using stage 8 lockers, some of the tear drop things I had to modify to get to fit. I believe it was only a few that had to be modified with a dremel.
    Which headers?

    Looks like the Stage 8 kit has 16 of the large teardrops, and only 8 of the smaller ones. Apparently the smaller ones are easier to use with Bassani headers.





    The FRPP version looks like semi circles:




    I wonder which is easier to work with.

  21. #21
    Unknown Cyborg 03 DSG Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    19,616

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •