Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Right you are ken DSGWhippedSnake's Avatar

Warning Brake pedal delay issue, sinks way down on first hit

I've noticed over the past couple of days that the pedal seems to sink down more than usual on the first hit of the brakes. If I'm in traffic or going from stoplight to stoplight it's fine. But if I'm cruising for a little bit and then go to hit the brakes, the pedal sinks down noticeably more than usual on the first push but if I let off quick and hit the brakes again it's fine. I'm thinking maybe there's an air pocket in the lines somewhere? I haven't touched the brakes at all other than pulling the caliper off the bracket when I put my iso's back in. No lines have been touched etc. After I put them in is when I noticed the issue. The front calipers have been on and off the brackets many times for suspension/spring changes and adjustments with no issues at all, this is the first time this has happened. Any thoughts?

Built | Cammed | Whippled

Quote Originally Posted by StrokeMe View Post
    Apocalypse = No government = No Chevrolet
    "He came in dukes of hazzard, gettin it, diggin like that like Dale Junior and then hooked up and shot forward. And when he hooked up and shot forward that’s when he came and hit"

Any loss of fluid or anything? Maybe try a quick bleed to see if an air bubble moved from the removal of the caliper?
    2012 Super Crew Ecoboost F-150 FX4
    2003 DSG Cobra #4107 of 8394
    1996 Mystic Cobra #1837 of 2000 SOLD

Semi user friendly Jimmysidecarr's Avatar
    First look for leak evidence follow ALL the lines and hoses.

If no leaks bleed the brakes, including the master cylinder.

Still does it? Then it's likely an internal bleed inside a bad master cylinder.
    Jimmy
    Still kicking! HOT ROD POWER TOUR LONG HAULER! 2014 AND 2013!
    MYSTICHROME #539<-The AWESOMENESS is fade resistant.
    2004 SVT Focus daily beater
    Sr. Automotive Technical Support with *Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants<-and LOVING it!
    *The Performance Oil that Outperforms®*
    If you love ADRENALIN LIKE I DO and haven't tried this yet....
    YOU NEED TO!!!---->
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ALG6pN_R0
    Mods page http://www.gotstang.com/webpages/Jim...-Mustang/mods/

Quote Originally Posted by DSG2NV03 View Post
    Any loss of fluid or anything? Maybe try a quick bleed to see if an air bubble moved from the removal of the caliper?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmysidecarr View Post
    First look for leak evidence follow ALL the lines and hoses.

If no leaks bleed the brakes, including the master cylinder.

Still does it? Then it's likely an internal bleed inside a bad master cylinder.
    From what I can see there are no leaks, and there has never been any loss of fluid. But tomorrow I'll put the car up in the air and take a better look and report back with my findings

Insane SVT Poster
    Notice any change in the steering at all? Brake boosters are known to fail as well. I would try bleeding the master cylinder first though. When was the last brake fluid flush?
    2003 Cobra: Motor built by L&M Engines, ported eaton 2.8 upper/4lb lower, Ford GT cams, Mac LT's, BBK catted H, Magnaflow catback, return fuel system, killer chiller with trunk mounted tank.

2008 Ducati 1098

Three words for you: Motive Power Bleeder...
    2003 Silver Metallic Cobra. A bunch of '00R, FRPP, and MM stuff...
    www.terminator-cobra.com

Sounds like you have air in the system.

No drill hood struts to fit 1999-2004 Mustangs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121160220169...witem=&vxp=mtr

road race suspension on drag radial 3700lbs race weight
    60' 1.75 1/8 mile 7.25 at 98.5 irwindale

best 1000' 9.86 (m112) best mph 118.8 whipple@17psi
    short shifted from first to second at 4500rpm than wot

1 mile 112 eaton 166mph
    1 mile m122 eaton 173.xx

Which motive system are y'all going with because I want to buy one
    2003 Black Cobra coupe #6454

Aluminator/ TVS/ ARH's/ McLoed RXT
    PST Carbon fiber driveshaft/ Full FTBR Built IRS
    Brembo BBK, FTBR 13" rear brakes/ETC.....

Quote Originally Posted by keith89 View Post
    Notice any change in the steering at all? Brake boosters are known to fail as well. I would try bleeding the master cylinder first though. When was the last brake fluid flush?
    Can anyone explain the procedure to bleed the master cylinder?
    Current: 04 Cobra Vert, Whipple
    Past: 04 Cayenne Turbo, Fabspeed | 2011 M3 Vert Black, M-DCT | 06 M3 Vert SMG | 07 335i TT | 68 Camaro RS Vert | 00 Camaro SS

Premium Member
    Believe it or not it may be the hydrobooster system too. When your pedal is sinking check to see what the steering effort is like. If your steering fluid is breaking down or pump not making good pressure it's possible for this to happen. Seen it first hand on many 1.5 ton trucks at work with hydroboost brakes.

Also maybe one of your brake hoses is bad and expanding when you first hit the brakes
    2004 Black Cobra
    Born on 2/20/2004
    #2557 of 3768
    2.8" upper, JLT CAI, Magnaflow Catted X, Flowmaster 3", Steeda Tri-Ax, H&R Race, MM C/C Plates, 335's.

2010 Black F350 CC/SB, 6.4 Diesel, 2" Leveling, 35" Toyos on 20" BMF's, DPF Delete, Spartan, MBRP
    2010 Honda CBR600RR Leyla
    1985 Jeep CJ-7 that needs some TLC

Quote Originally Posted by SVT_Troy View Post
    Which motive system are y'all going with because I want to buy one
    #0107 - works on many Ford vehicles. Once you use this you'll never waste your time doing it the old-school way again.

Just put the car up in the air, no signs of leaks anywhere and no signs of any weak lines/hoses. Everything checks out ok as far as I can see

Quote Originally Posted by Blk04Snake View Post
    Believe it or not it may be the hydrobooster system too. When your pedal is sinking check to see what the steering effort is like. If your steering fluid is breaking down or pump not making good pressure it's possible for this to happen. Seen it first hand on many 1.5 ton trucks at work with hydroboost brakes.

Also maybe one of your brake hoses is bad and expanding when you first hit the brakes
    Quote Originally Posted by keith89 View Post
    I haven't noticed any difference in the steering when it happens, I'll be messing with the car today to test it some more. I have no idea when the last flush was. I've had the car for a year, it just turned 62k on the clock. I'm going to assume it was never changed but your guess is as good as mine

Quote Originally Posted by jrgoffin View Post
    Three words for you: Motive Power Bleeder...
    Good to know. I'll be buying one of these if the problem persists

Quote Originally Posted by racebronco2 View Post
    Sounds like you have air in the system.
    Seems like it to me

Quote Originally Posted by Silver TT View Post
    +1

Banned
    i would buy a set of speed bleeders and bleed the entire system yourself with some DOT 5, check again and check the seals on the pistons in the calipers, check the master like jimmy said.

brakes hoses do colapse too..

so check to be sure you're getting good fluid at all corners maybe even upgrade brakes hoses wile you're at it.. they're inexpensive

ok guys and flame my advice!

Question on brake fluid as well. On this thread below some guys are saying to NOT run high end synthetic brake fluid because it is hydrophobic and will not mix with water. This means if you have any water anywhere in the system it will boil and cause air gaps in the lines or calipers.

Glycol based (non-synthetic) Dot 3 or 4 they are recommending as it is hydrophillic and will mix in with the small amount of water effectively reducing risk of that water ever doing any damage. Thoughts?

About to do a complete flush and bleed out the whole system and I just want to use the right fluids.

Changing brake fluid: how to/which one to get? - MustangForums.com

Banned
    Question on brake fluid as well. On this thread below some guys are saying to NOT run high end synthetic brake fluid because it is hydrophobic and will not mix with water. This means if you have any water anywhere in the system it will boil and cause air gaps in the lines or calipers.

Glycol based (non-synthetic) Dot 3 or 4 they are recommending as it is hydrophillic and will mix in with the small amount of water effectively reducing risk of that water ever doing any damage. Thoughts?

About to do a complete flush and bleed out the whole system and I just want to use the right fluids.

you're not suppose to mix any brake parts with water .....

Quote Originally Posted by Anabolic View Post
    i would buy a set of speed bleeders and bleed the entire system yourself with some DOT 5, check again and check the seals on the pistons in the calipers, check the master like jimmy said.

brakes hoses do colapse too..

so check to be sure you're getting good fluid at all corners maybe even upgrade brakes hoses wile you're at it.. they're inexpensive

ok guys and flame my advice!
    Screw Speed-Bleeders, the last set I bought leaked like crazy. Get the POWER BLEEDER - it takes about 10 minutes to bleed the brakes and you will never screw with pedal pumping again.

The Motorcraft brake fluid is fine for most guys, although the new formula isn't quite as good a the "old" stuff (boiling point reduced from 550 to 500). With the Power Bleeder, you can completely flush the system and replace all the fluid fast. It just doesn't get any easier.
    Last edited by jrgoffin; 02-25-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Banned
    iv got my speed bleeders on all four corners.. you probably bought some knock offs or installed the wrong ones in/got part #s confused... love the speed bleeders.. just open them up. pump pedal 3x then close repeat every 6months for fresh fluid.

dot 3 is what our cars call for..technically. ok ... usually import german cars are dot 4.. BUT dot 4 can be used it supercedes dot 3..
    dot 5 is high temp race fluid..

NO BRAKE PARTS work with water especially fluid so none should get water involved..
    don't 100% understand your question reguarding that.
    Last edited by Anabolic; 02-25-2012 at 03:48 PM.

iv got my speed bleeders on all four corners.. you probably bought some knock offs or installed the wrong ones in/got part #s confused... love the speed bleeders.. just open them up. pump pedal 3x then close repeat every 6months for fresh fluid.
    Hardly. Have used real Russell Speed Bleeders off and on for 20+ years, but their Q.C. appears to have gone down hill. Enjoy them, I'll stick with the power method.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jrgoffin View Post
    Hardly. Have used real Russell Speed Bleeders off and on for 20+ years, but their Q.C. appears to have gone down hill. Enjoy them, I'll stick with the power method.

well that's probably why. russel only makes decent fuel hardware,
    speedbleeder makes speedbleeders since 1997 and they work like a charm.
    here's their website! http://www.speedbleeder.com/

and if you used them for apperently twenty years and they worked why bash them now
    Last edited by Anabolic; 02-25-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Let the car sit overnight. Press on brake pedal, open up the bleeders at the master cylinder until just fluid comes out. Repeat as nessasary. Usually whenyou have bleed all the wheels and there still seems to be air in the system this precedure get the air out of the master cylinder. You must let the car sit overnight. With the abs you can try and bleed at each wheel and you will never get the air out because it gets trapped between the mc and the abs module.

well that's probably why. russel only makes decent fuel hardware,
    speedbleeder makes speedbleeders since 1997 and they work like a charm.
    here's their website! Speed Bleeder Bleeding Brakes Bleeding Motorcycle Brakes Automotive Bleeder Screw Brake Bleeder

and if you used them for apperently twenty years and they worked why bash them now
    Yes, that's gotta' be it - I must have mis-spelled the web adress and got linked to some Chinese knock-off site. Problem solved thanks to SVTP...

When three of the six leak, there is plenty of reason to think the quality has gone down hill, even after 20 years.

ive had issues with the front pads breaking the ring that holds them...

your issue is the pad is loose and caliper is lifting will just driving...first hit on brake pedal goes to almost floor,2nd hit is hard...

its happened 4 times to me...

stock 03 cobra
    exhaust mods
    bbk longtube
    bbk off road x-pipe
    flow master cat back
    predator canned tune
    404rwhp408rwtq

2010 dc tundra 4.6

NO BRAKE PARTS work with water especially fluid so none should get water involved..
    don't 100% understand your question reguarding that.
    Yes, no one recommended mixing with water, it was just stated that synthetics do not mix with water at all and therefore any water in the lines or calipers will remain as 100% water while a glycol base brake fluid would mix with the small amount of water and effectively reduce its impact on the overall system if there is any water anyway. At least I think that is what they are saying.

Let the car sit overnight. Press on brake pedal, open up the bleeders at the master cylinder until just fluid comes out. Repeat as nessasary. Usually whenyou have bleed all the wheels and there still seems to be air in the system this precedure get the air out of the master cylinder. You must let the car sit overnight. With the abs you can try and bleed at each wheel and you will never get the air out because it gets trapped between the mc and the abs module.
    Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to know. Will try this when I flush out the brake flluid. Is there any different process if using the Motive Power Bleeder?

Yes, no one recommended mixing with water, it was just stated that synthetics do not mix with water at all and therefore any water in the lines or calipers will remain as 100% water while a glycol base brake fluid would mix with the small amount of water and effectively reduce its impact on the overall system if there is any water anyway. At least I think that is what they are saying.

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to know. Will try this when I flush out the brake flluid. Is there any different process if using the Motive Power Bleeder?
    I have the motive also and used it the same way.
    Last edited by racebronco2; 02-26-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Insane SVT Poster
    I'm planning to convert to a dual master manual brake setup but want to keep the abs. I would assume a small reverse bleed from the caliper to the masters would remove any air between the master cylinders and the abs before doing a pressure bleed at the master cylinder. Is this correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast