Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: motor oil 5w50

Crazy SVT Poster

motor oil 5w50

which stores are you guys buying your 5w50 synthetic for the gt500
    2010 gt500 convertible kona blue with silver stripes,shelby 20inch wheels,stock for now.

1999 cobra convertible all forged engine
    bbk headers dr-gas x-pipe magna pack mufflers
    bama tune,mgw shifter roush cold air intake
    but going to sale soon

SVT God
    Unleashed in 5, 4, 3, 2, ..... Op you're about to get an AMsoil lecture
    2013 Laguna Seca
    2008 GT500 L&M Racing Engines built longblock (sold to forum member)

I was able to find Mobil 1 5W50 at NAPA. They had it on sale for $5.79/qt through March.

Crazy SVT Poster
    Just go ahead and break down and become a amsoil preferred customer. It is worth it in the long run. I just ordered all my fluids for the car. That is oil, transmission fluid and rear end fluid. Also got the amsoil filter and pump to make it easier to put the fluids back in. Ran me about 200 bucks. And then 10 dollars in hobbie shop fees. Got to love the hobbie shop and a lift.

SVT God
    oil pressure @ start up with 5w-50 is about 100psi. drop to 10w-40.

I prefer the Rotella Synthetic 5W40 over the Amsoil, Motorcraft or M1 for various reasons. Lab results show it is holding up very well and a good real world use viscosity match.
    2006 Midnight Blue w/ Satin Silver stripes Ford GT number 366. Going to keep this one!
    Wifes SUV: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4WD Ecoboost
    Gone: 2007 GT500 in Vista Blue with Tungsten stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by 6-Speed View Post
    I was able to find Mobil 1 5W50 at NAPA. They had it on sale for $5.79/qt through March.
    Mobil 1 makes a 5w50? That must be new....
    Only 5W50 I've seen has been Motorcraft...go for the 10w40 Amsoil.

Premium Member
    They have made it for a while but mostly stocked in Europe. Some places carry it in the US but not many

I'll stick with my amsoil

Mid Atlantic Cobra Association
    @zporta
    http://www.revanracing.com/products/...gauge-pod.html

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I prefer the Rotella Synthetic 5W40 over the Amsoil, Motorcraft or M1 for various reasons. Lab results show it is holding up very well and a good real world use viscosity match.
    I recently called a known speed shop near Montreal. The employee at the service told me to put Rotella 5w-40 in my mustang. He said that Ford put 5w-50 due to the regulation on the pollution emitted... !? I don't know what to think about the 5w-40...

Quote Originally Posted by Olisickstang View Post
    I recently called a known speed shop near Montreal. The employee at the service told me to put Rotella 5w-40 in my mustang. He said that Ford put 5w-50 due to the regulation on the pollution emitted... !? I don't know what to think about the 5w-40...
    Isn't Rotella 5W40 a diesel formulation that has magnesium in it for diesels? That is what I put in my truck last oil change while next is Amsoil.
    '12 GT500 Perf wht w/ red |SVTPP|Recaros|Elect pkg |VMP TVS 2.385" pulley | JLT 127mm CAI | 72# inj | FRPP 65mm TB | Lund Tune | C&R H/E w/ 3X res | Bob's catch can | SW LT O/R X pipe | DSS CF DS | MGW | Griggs Racing C/O |BMR K member, Adj. Arms, Adj. Panhard & Rear Tunnel Brace/DS loop |Steeda Torque Box Brace | Goodridge SS lines | Forgeline | Boss 302 ducts |

Quote Originally Posted by zporta View Post
    They have made it for a while but mostly stocked in Europe. Some places carry it in the US but not many

I'll stick with my amsoil
    Same here...amsoil makes the most sense....a bargain with the preferred pricing...but I run 10w30 in mine....

Amsoil here...go figure.

I have bought Castrol synthetic 5w-50 at K-Mart.
    2011 Shelby GT500 --- 550 rwhp---kona blue---glass roof---svtpp---navigation---kind of scary

Rotella synthetic 5w-40 is what I run in my 6.0 PSD. I use Amsoil 10W-30 in the GT500
    Last edited by blueovalkid; 04-01-2012 at 12:28 AM.

The Rotella T6 Full synthetic carries the API SH rating for use in gasoline polution controlled vehicles. Its a very well regarded oil, very low volitility for minimal blow by, extreamly good wear resistance and very viscosity stable over its life. Its an excellent gasoline engine oil for many of the same reasons it works in high stress turbo diesels. No, the soot control will likely not help your DOHC 5.4 SC all that much, but it does not hurt either to keep the engine very clean. Why keep multiple brands and grades of oil around if you don't need to?

We use the Rotella in our entire fleet of vehicle and stationary engines with extreamly good lab results.

http://www-static.shell.com/static/c...rotella_t6.pdf

AMSOil, don't waste your time on anything else.
    BPS Trinity, Pullied, VMP Tuned, Bosch 72lb injectors, Ford Racing 65mm TB, JLT 127mm cf CAI, Shelby HE w/ fans, Reische 170* T-Stat, 3x Reservoir, Mcleod rxt, MGW, DSS Aluminum DS, BMR DS Safety loops, Aeroforce Gauges, JLT Oil Separators, CF Hood Vent, Raxiom Nav, AMSOil, AMR Wheels Wrapped in 555r’s. More mods awaiting install…..

13 F150 Crew Cab DD

Quote Originally Posted by NJSP117 View Post
    Mobil 1 makes a 5w50? That must be new..
    Actually they've made it for a while, just most places don't stock it unless special ordered.

I went to my local NAPA, ordered three cases (18qts) last week when it was on sale, and they had it the very next day for me.
    2012 Boss 302 LS # 563
    2000 Cobra R # 76
    1993 Cobra # 2162
    2013 F 150 Extended Cab
    2011 F 350 Worktruck
    2014 Focus SE 5sp

I currently have Red Line 5-50 in the car. I just put the Reisch thermostat in and will be changing with Amsoil 10-30 which is in my garage waiting.
    The Red Line got great lab results so far, but the price is substantially more then Amsoil when you buy the preferred customer package
    #1652 of 3545 2010 Shelby GT500 Performance White / Grabber Blue
    True Forged Wheels MADE IN THE USA!!!
    The D.D.- 2013 FX4 F150 Ecoboost The Mommy Mobile- 2014 Explorer Sport
    So if we're counting that's 3 cars, 4 turbos, 1 supercharger and countless destroyed tires...

Crazy SVT Poster
    Ran Mobil 1 0W-40 for my first oil change with great results and then switched to Amsoil 10W-40 and am sticking with it. You'll be happy with either one and if you run a oil analysis on each you'll see they are both great oils.
    2014 GT500 Coupe, Base w/ Recaros (Black/Black)
    -JLT Oil Separator
    -Clutch Assist Spring Delete

Gone, but not forgotten...
    13 Mustang GT
    12 GT500
    09 GT500
    04 Cobra
    04 Lightning

Engine Lubrication Guru UnleashedBeast's Avatar
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bull3441 View Post
    Unleashed in 5, 4, 3, 2, ..... Op you're about to get an AMsoil lecture
    Is the party over yet?

Quote Originally Posted by bull3441 View Post
    oil pressure @ start up with 5w-50 is about 100psi. drop to 10w-40.
    Ouch, BAD!!!

If magnesium as a detergent additive for a gasoline engine is your thing (suspect of engine deposits), why not. I won't use Rotella, but I do admit it does offer good bang for the buck for diesel engines.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVESVT2000 View Post
    Actually they've made it for a while, just most places don't stock it unless special ordered.

I went to my local NAPA, ordered three cases (18qts) last week when it was on sale, and they had it the very next day for me.
    Could have saved you some money with preferred customer Amsoil pricing, and had it delivered to your door.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Nelson View Post
    Ran Mobil 1 0W-40 for my first oil change with great results
    It's a very good choice when grabbing a lubricant off the shelf, and one of Mobil's best formulations. I would use this over Rotella T5 or T6 any day of the week. *No Magnesium*

Quote Originally Posted by PistolWhip View Post
    but the price is substantially more then Amsoil when you buy the preferred customer package
    Preferred Customer pricing FTW!
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 04-02-2012 at 02:48 AM.
    2014 Mustang GT: Sterling Gray | NAV | Recaros | Brembos | Glass Roof | back up camera | 6 speed auto
    Armageddon Twin Turbo build in progress

2007+ Shelby GT500 UOA thread | 2012+ Boss 302 UOA Thread | 2011+ GT UOA Thread

Why is the use of magnesium so awful for gasoline engines now? It can't be engine deposits or cleanliness as the interior of our various engines are spotless the few times valve covers or other parts are removed for service over the years. Far better than back when we were using Mobil Delvac One and M1 products. Soot and deposit control is one of its biggest advantages. Use what you want. Oh, Mobil synthetics back before y2k takeover by Exxon were far better lubricants. Failing lab results forced our switch to Shell.

We have 5W40 T6 Rotella in my 7.3 diesel pickup, a 6.8l V10 motorhome and its Onan gen set. A home standby Generac natural gas engine genset. a Harley, my wife's Ecoboost MKT and my GT. Oh, and a Briggs 14hp lawnmower. Works for us, has for many years and the lab results show its doing more than fine. Its reasonably priced and available at mainstream lubrication retailers, anywhere we travel. I do not advocate the wide use of the 15W40 T5 product outside of diesel service.

Premium Member
    Oh, Mobil synthetics back before y2k takeover by Exxon were far better lubricants.
    Pre 2005, the term "fully synthetic" with Mobil 1 actually meant something.

Pre 2010, there were still 8 formulations that didn't contain highly refined petroleum in the blend percentage. Now Mobil is using their own version of hydrocracked petroleum called VISOM.

Today, it's hard to say what is still a full synthetic, and what is not. So far, their Extended Performance lubricants and 0W-40 doesn't show any trend changes in the UOAs. However, that could change tomorrow, who knows.

We have 5W40 T6 Rotella in my 7.3 diesel pickup, a 6.8l V10 motorhome and its Onan gen set. A home standby Generac natural gas engine genset. a Harley, my wife's Ecoboost MKT and my GT. Oh, and a Briggs 14hp lawnmower. Works for us, has for many years and the lab results show its doing more than fine. Its reasonably priced and available at mainstream lubrication retailers, anywhere we travel. I do not advocate the wide use of the 15W40 T5 product outside of diesel service.
    T6 offers a lot of bang for the buck, no doubts there, but it's still a highly refined petroleum (hydrocracked) formulation, which is why it's less expensive. I could never say the lubricant isn't effective, as it really is, I just demand the best in everything. I desire a lubricant with a lower NOACK, group IV/V base stocks, and stronger anti-shear ability without the use of VII (Viscosity Improver Polymers).

T5 is the step down formulation, and can agree with you on the application.

Did someone test the motul 300v 5w-40 ?

Rookie SVT Poster
    It sounds like AMSoil is the preferred oil for our GT500s. Why are some using 10w30 vs 10w40? Which one would be most beneficial for Texas weather? I am looking to make the change to AMSoil for my next change.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StangSupremacy View Post
    It sounds like AMSoil is the preferred oil for our GT500s. Why are some using 10w30 vs 10w40? Which one would be most beneficial for Texas weather? I am looking to make the change to AMSoil for my next change.
    Amsoil ATM 10W-30 is for cars used on the street with the 170* thermostat. Street and drag racing is OK with this lubricant. I beat up my car like a red headed step child with Amsoil 10W-30, and the UOAs are excellent.

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 is for cars with the stock 192* thermostat, or for use in cars for extended session road racing.
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 04-05-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast