Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

leftover 2012 or 2013

So, what would you guys do? If you had a chance to get a damn good deal on a leftover 2012 on the lot, or wait for the 2013's to come out? Im leaning on waiting a little to get the 2013 but there are some good deals on the 2012's out there.

I dont care about how well it handles or anything like that. I just want a base model. It will be my Daily and take to the 1/4 mile track every once in a while. Also there will be some other roll racing in "mexico" if you know what I mean.

And yes, this is the official I might be coming back to the dark side soon..................
    Last edited by SRT8tech; 04-10-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    2013 Super Bee.................
    CAI, Tune and Drag Radials best of 12.008 @ 115.74

Why would you drive to mexico to do roll racing? Better hope you do not end up roll racing a 2013 in your 2012 while in mexico!

Good deal or not, if the money isn't a factor much, I would go with a 2013.

But you know, I might be a little biased since I ordered one lol.
    Sold
    2003 10th Ann. Ed Black Cobra
    2004 Mystichrome Cobra 505 rwhp / 515 rwtq
    2005 Mustang GT - Custom DSS Racing Forged Block

Current
    2007 SRT8 Jeep
    2008 Infiniti EX35
    2004 Mystichrome Cobra
    2013 Shelby GT500

8-3-2012
    2013 GT500 Black/Black - SVTPP - Recaros

Quote Originally Posted by 03Cobra05GT View Post
    Good deal or not, if the money isn't a factor much, I would go with a 2013.

But you know, I might be a little biased since I ordered one lol.
    Yeah, im pretty much 99% sure im going to get the 2013.

Crazy SVT Poster
    2012, and I sell them, with a tune and minor mods, you have 650 HP, and can probably save $10,000.00 or better vs a 2013. Just my thoughts...enjoy whatever you decide on

Quote Originally Posted by 03cobra05gt View Post
    good deal or not, if the money isn't a factor much, i would go with a 2013.

But you know, i might be a little biased since i ordered one lol.
    x2.....................

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN JACK View Post
    2012, and I sell them, with a tune and minor mods, you have 650 HP, and can probably save $10,000.00 or better vs a 2013. Just my thoughts...enjoy whatever you decide on
    This particular point has been discussed a few times on here.

Unless HP is all you care about, saying throw on some mods and a tune and you'll have 650hp isn't the only point of the 2013.

5.8 vs 5.4. Reworked transmission, suspension, physical appearance, cooling, etc. if you were to take a 2012 and match everything the 2013 has I'd be willing to bet you end up paying almost the same amount as a 2013, maybe even a little more because of labor for the work. And then to top it all off, you do all that to a 2012, well sure maybe you obtain the same numbers as the 2013..... But where's your warranty lol.

And then to top it all off, you do all that to a 2012, well sure maybe you obtain the same numbers as the 2013..... But where's your warranty lol.

BINGO!!!! Thats what my biggest factor was in deciding the 2013. Im going to goto my dealer tomorrow and look at the 2012's they have but my main goal is to see what kind of deal they can give me on the 2013's. Im NOT going to pay more than MSRP I can tell you that. Plus im going to see what kind of trade in they will give me for the 392 Challenger.

im in the same boat bro i cant decide. But today i went to the dealer and saw the 2013 and i think its looks way better then the 2012. plus you get the led lights which rock lol

Rookie SVT Poster
    Get the 2013. My 2011 SVTPP is simply over-geared. The car needs 3.73's like I need a hangover. Not. Modding it and adding 100 hp to an overgeared car will just make things worse. And you'll still get to listen to the "normal" moan from the disc-type differential every time you go around a corner. Joy! I can't wait to get a Torsen....

As another poster said, by the time you get a 2012 sorted out, you'll have 10K plus into the car and your warranty will be gone. Launch control and doing 0-60 in first will make you a stoplight demon. I'm sorry, but hearing the guy next to you on the street in the 2013 GT500 engaging launch control and the motor popping against the rev limiter at the traffic light will simply freak out most challengers.

Also, being able to drop the car into second gear at highway speed and do a roll-on in second will make you tough to beat on the highway as well. With the 2013 model, Ford has finally gotten the Shelby sorted out. I thank the ZL1 Camaro for motivating that.

At the end of the day, it's only money. I grew up restoring an old muscle car because I came from humble roots and had no $$$. I always wondered who ordered my car when it was new and what adventures the car had been through. I have the yellowed and battle-scarred shift knob from my 1970 442 on my 2011 GT500 right now. It's a connection to the past.

Now that I've busted my hump for 20+ years and have the cash, I feel obligated to get these super hot cars out of the factory and onto the street. Someday, 40+ years from now when I'm gone, some young guy will be restoring my Shelby and wondering about who drove it off the showroom floor all those years ago. I literally drove mine off the showroom floor, with my wife beside me, urging me to do a burnout in the showroom....Ah, now there's a good woman!!

If we don't buy these cars today, young Americans will be stuck restoring Camrys. Somehow, that just seems wrong......
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 04-11-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
    Get the 2013. My 2011 SVTPP is simply over-geared. The car needs 3.73's like I need a hangover. Not. Modding it and adding 100 hp to an overgeared car will just make things worse. And you'll still get to listen to the "normal" moan from the disc-type differential every time you go around a corner. Joy! I can't wait to get a Torsen....

As another poster said, by the time you get a 2012 sorted out, you'll have 10K plus into the car and your warranty will be gone. Launch control and doing 0-60 in first will make you a stoplight demon. I'm sorry, but hearing the guy next to you on the street in the 2013 GT500 engaging launch control and the motor popping against the rev limiter at the traffic light will simply freak out most challengers.

Also, being able to drop the car into second gear at highway speed and do a roll-on in second will make you tough to beat on the highway as well. With the 2013 model, Ford has finally gotten the Shelby sorted out. I thank the ZL1 Camaro for motivating that.

At the end of the day, it's only money. I grew up restoring an old muscle car because I came from humble roots and had no $$$. I always wondered who ordered my car when it was new and what adventures the car had been through. I have the yellowed and battle-scarred shift knob from my 1970 442 on my 2011 GT500 right now. It's a connection to the past.

Now that I've busted my hump for 20+ years and have the cash, I feel an obligated to get these super hot cars out of the factory and onto the street. Someday, 40+ years from now when I'm gone, some young guy will be restoring my Shelby and wondering about who drove it off the showroom floor all those years ago. I literally drove mine off the showroom floor, with my wife beside me, urging me to do a burnout in the showroom....Ah, now there's a good woman!!

If we don't buy these cars today, young Americans will be stuck restoring Camrys. Somehow, that just seems wrong......
    very well said....
    RIP Mom......11/28/62 - 4/27/13

OK, just got back from one dealer............time to goto another one that can actually help me. This dealer said they have 2 allocated and they cannot get anymore in after that even if I wanted to order one. I was like..........uhhhh whatever. Then I asked the "market adjustment" question. He said they will not put a market adjustment on them. "They will just add around 2600 bucks to the MSRP" (Umm thats a market adjustment) They will not sell them for less than MSRP period.

Posting from The Shadow's Ninjak's Avatar
    I guess it depends on what you want to get. The 12's are still great cars and good deals can be had. For a 13 you are going to have to search a bit or travel for a good deal. just the way it will be for a while.

As for the mod thing, if you get it done right, or even have a svt dealer do them, you can still have a warranty. The work done on my car is STILL with my warranty. It just depends on the relationship you have with the dealer. My 08 Mustang GT was modded up. Saleen S/C Fr3 Suspension, LCA' UCA's and Side exhaust...All warranty. Now gratnted I still had some warranty left, but I was told that the warranty died with me when I traded in.

As I said, depends on your relationship with your dealer. If was me ? Hmm not sure really. I love deals, and if I could find a good good good deal on a 12, I would probably pull the trigger.
    click links !

11 GT500 PP RaceRed w/ White Stripes. Roxxy The Red Reaper
    TTVS/w BPS Elbow, 2.4 pulley /w Shelby 90 Tens/Idler, AR 1-7/8 Longtubes HFC 3X-pipe, FRPP 56lbs Inj, Corsa Catback, BPS 73TB, 123 CJ Inlet, 123 CJ MAF, Shaftemaster DS, Mcleod RXT, Steeda H/E, Steeda LCA, MGW Shift, Invo's 275/19 / 315/20 Tuned by Bill Miller @ Pro Edge Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    Wtf does this have to do with anything

GTFO

+1...what does a $200,000+ car have to do with this discussion....BTW I'd take the factory 2013GT500 over that too! A better car in every way IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I love deals, and if I could find a good good good deal on a 12, I would probably pull the trigger.
    that's the boat i'm in, or will be in come summer when i start shopping around.

If I can save over $10k by going with a 12', I may have to do that. Once the 13's start hitting the lots is when we'll see the prices start to drop big time.

This particular point has been discussed a few times on here.

Unless HP is all you care about, saying throw on some mods and a tune and you'll have 650hp isn't the only point of the 2013.

5.8 vs 5.4. Reworked transmission, suspension, physical appearance, cooling, etc. if you were to take a 2012 and match everything the 2013 has I'd be willing to bet you end up paying almost the same amount as a 2013, maybe even a little more because of labor for the work. And then to top it all off, you do all that to a 2012, well sure maybe you obtain the same numbers as the 2013..... But where's your warranty lol.
    This is a great point. The 2013 gives us everything we've ever wanted in a Mustang and with a full warranty. The car will be faster on a road course than a Ford GT and probably accelerate about the same through the 1/4. It has launch control so it will make this thing a breeze to get off the line, even for those who aren't talented drivers. Just an all-around well sorted out car to a level that we've never seen before.
    14 Shelby GT500: DIB, glass roof, Recaros delivered 6/8/13

Sports Car Enthusiast AngeloViewDrive's Avatar
    Go with the 2013. If you get the 2012, I think after a few months when the 2013s hit the streets you 'll regret that you didn't get the 2013. If money is a big issue, wait for 9 months and you'll probably be able to find a 2013 at a decent price.

Crazy SVT Poster

Now that I've busted my hump for 20+ years and have the cash, I feel obligated to get these super hot cars out of the factory and onto the street. Someday, 40+ years from now when I'm gone, some young guy will be restoring my Shelby and wondering about who drove it off the showroom floor all those years ago. I literally drove mine off the showroom floor, with my wife beside me, urging me to do a burnout in the showroom....Ah, now there's a good woman!!

Good post, and I agree, but to play devil's advocate:

If you're going to go for 800ish crank horsepower (which a fair number of people do), you're probably going to have to do the same mods to each car, I 'm not sure you're going to get there with bolt ons and a lower on the 5.8.

Whether the 5.8 is equal to the 5.4 at those power levels in terms of longevity remains to be seen.

If you're going to roll around on fat drag radials on the street and/or slicks at the strip, the 3.31s and the launch control probably aren't going to be doing you any favors.

With the 2500 dollar rebate you're talking around 43k for a base 12 or 46.5k for an SVTPP 12. In terms of what you're losing out to a base 13 at 55k, or a PP/TP 13 at 61,500, I'd say that a 12 at those prices is still a very solid choice.

Can't really go wrong either way, IMO. That said, I may very well be trading up, but I'm probably gonna wait around until the 14s are out and see what kinda deal I can wrangle.

Crazy SVT Poster

Insane SVT Poster
    I think it really depends on how good of a deal you can score on a 2012.

Rookie SVT Poster
    I was thinking the exact same thing, local dealer told me they would give me a deal on their last 2012, he told me 52k

Insane SVT Poster
    I would definitely go for the 2013 if the best they could do is $52k. Wait out the initial release and you can probably find a base 2013 for around or less than that.

I would rather have a base 2013 than a loaded 2012 assuming the price was the same.

Couldn't agree more, well said.....
    Current:
    1989 5.0 Calypso Green Notch
    2004 GMC Denali Dropped on 24''s
    2011 BMW 328I
    2008 GSXR 1000 (Its modded!)
    Past:
    2003 Sonic Blue Cobra #3057 SOLD!
    2004 Mustang GT
    2008 GSXR 600 (Track Bike)
    2008 Kawasaki 250 (Track Bike)
    1998 Yamaha YZF600R
    2000 Kawasaki ZX9R

I was considering a 12 with PP but the added improvements and creature comforts of the 2013 really won me over...

Yeah, im still going for the 13 but the dealers near me dont seem to want to play. They all suck around my town. Even some of them think they cant order one because they already ordered there allocations. "Its a Shelby sorry, we can only sell the allocations we get in. After that we cant sell anymore".......God I hate dumb dealers. The ones that actually know they can get more in are wanting a 10k dealer markup. Im NOT doing that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast