Thread: Pats 1998 cobra

Crazy SVT Poster

Pats 1998 cobra

Well if finally happened, the theft light was flashing and the car wouldn't start. I waited a few minutes and it started ok, I don't want to get stranded one day so how can I turn this feature off?

My Social Networking

Add ZD302GT on Facebook Add ZD302GT on Linkedin
    If it started and ran its most likely not PATS. I had the same problem. It ended up being the aftermarket chip that was on the computer was bad. If you have one of those you might pull it off and see what happens.
    93 GT Sold
    98 Cobra #4677 Procharged: Repurchased
    91 LX 5.0 Sold
    90 LX 5.0 Carb'd Sold
    01 V6 (Daily)

Crazy SVT Poster
    Stock computer, but I really want to disable the PATS.

You'll need a chip or a tune to disable the PATS..
    98 Cobra - AED Built Motor - Foxlake Racing - Accufab Racing - FAST XFI/XIM - Griggs Racing - Vortech - Kooks - Weldon - T56 Magnum - Built Rear End - HRE's - Baer - C&R - E-85
    AEDHP

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 Saleen Cobra View Post
    You'll need a chip or a tune to disable the PATS..
    Can it be done by a handheld like an SCT? Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure. :/

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 Saleen Cobra View Post
    I'm not 100% sure. :/
    I appreciate the reply.

Crazy SVT Poster

Does anyone know how to turn off the PITA PATS in a 1998 Cobra

I want to disable the PATS system in my 1998 Cobra.

Insane SVT Poster Max97COBRAtkd's Avatar
    Sounds like the same problem I had in mine... ended up being the pcm... Check your PCM and see if it has processor code AOL2 or AOL3, if it is an AOL2 you will most likely need to replace it with an AOL3. I picked one up for about $200 used and it fixed all my problems. You just have to turn off PATS in the tune after you do this because if it wasn't keeping the car from starting before, it will after switching pcm's because your PATS module won't recognize the new pcm.

BTW, if your PATS system is activated, you will NOT hear your fuel pump prime when you turn the key on. Ask me how I know, lol.
    Past stangs:
    96 Blue GT Auto/Slow
    97 Pac Green Cobra Vert Vortech
    01 Zinc Yel Cobra TT/Auto
    96 Black Cobra T56/D1SC
    86 White SVO Cam/Big Turbo
    98 BAB Cobra Coupe 25 of 5174

Current:
    03 DSG 2.2l KB Cobra #3776 - 545rwhp/482rwtq w/built 4R75W tuned by Fastlane Motorsports

The PATS can be turned of with a handheld or chip, but ONLY if custom tuned. The pre-installed tunes do not disable this feature, nor allow you to disable it.
    97 V6 Automatic:291 RWHP/ 298 RWTQ S-trim (SOLD)

98 Cobra: (Old #'s, 292 RWHP/ 308 RWTQ) T-56, IRS, Single turbo

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by workmangc View Post
    The PATS can be turned of with a handheld or chip, but ONLY if custom tuned. The pre-installed tunes do not disable this feature, nor allow you to disable it.
    Thanks that was what I was wondering about.

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Max97COBRAtkd View Post
    Sounds like the same problem I had in mine... ended up being the pcm... Check your PCM and see if it has processor code AOL2 or AOL3, if it is an AOL2 you will most likely need to replace it with an AOL3. I picked one up for about $200 used and it fixed all my problems. You just have to turn off PATS in the tune after you do this because if it wasn't keeping the car from starting before, it will after switching pcm's because your PATS module won't recognize the new pcm.

BTW, if your PATS system is activated, you will NOT hear your fuel pump prime when you turn the key on. Ask me how I know, lol.
    So you installed the new PCM and had the car towed to the dealer for programming?

New SVT Poster

Hey guys, don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I'm have a little PCM problem myself. I'm pretty sure my PCM is fried (long story). I have found a donor PCM for my GT, same year, same tranny. If I just plug the new PCM into my car will it run? ALSO, I have a custom tune from Justin at VMP and he also included disabling the PATS system in the tune. If the car wouldn't run by just swapping over the computer, would I be able to flash the custom tune to the donor PCM and have it all work fine? This sounds ridiculously complicated, and it's frying my brain too.

Any help or advice offered would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Blue Cob View Post
    So you installed the new PCM and had the car towed to the dealer for programming?
    sorry for not getting back to you but here's the answer for what it's worth... NO, i did not have to take it to the dealer because I turned off the PATS system via my xcal3. Returned bad PCM to stock, plugged in new AOL3 PCM, flashed it with my tune, started car, runs perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by apaulk86 View Post
    Hey guys, don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I'm have a little PCM problem myself. I'm pretty sure my PCM is fried (long story). I have found a donor PCM for my GT, same year, same tranny. If I just plug the new PCM into my car will it run? ALSO, I have a custom tune from Justin at VMP and he also included disabling the PATS system in the tune. If the car wouldn't run by just swapping over the computer, would I be able to flash the custom tune to the donor PCM and have it all work fine? This sounds ridiculously complicated, and it's frying my brain too.

Any help or advice offered would be much appreciated.
    First, you hopefully verified with the person you got it from that the "new" one is not fried as well. You will need to plug in the "new" PCM, flash it with your tune that has PATS turned off in it, then you will be all good. Calm down, have a beer, and enjoy your car again, lol.

Oh, and take that pesky bulb out of the dash for the "THEFT" light. It will get really annoying really quick if you leave it in as it will blink for a while after each start once PATS is turned off.

New SVT Poster
    sorry for not getting back to you but here's the answer for what it's worth... NO, i did not have to take it to the dealer because I turned off the PATS system via my xcal3. Returned bad PCM to stock, plugged in new AOL3 PCM, flashed it with my tune, started car, runs perfect.

First, you hopefully verified with the person you got it from that the "new" one is not fried as well. You will need to plug in the "new" PCM, flash it with your tune that has PATS turned off in it, then you will be all good. Calm down, have a beer, and enjoy your car again, lol.

Oh, and take that pesky bulb out of the dash for the "THEFT" light. It will get really annoying really quick if you leave it in as it will blink for a while after each start once PATS is turned off.
    You guys are the best. I knew I did something right by swapping in a 4v lol. I actually can't wait to crack open a beer once I get off work!

Gray beard
    Or leave the bulb in and rewire it to be a shift light.
    Mark W. Olson
    96 Cobra #1407
    See www.classictiger.com/mustang for mods

Quote Originally Posted by mwolson View Post
    Or leave the bulb in and rewire it to be a shift light.
    lol, now that's ingenuity! Would never have thought of doing that.

Crazy SVT Poster
    So you can turn the PATS off with an Xcal3?

New SVT Poster
    So you can turn the PATS off with an Xcal3?
    Yes and no. You can do it if it's written into a custom tune, but the xcal3 cannot do it with preloaded tunes

Crazy SVT Poster
    Yes and no. You can do it if it's written into a custom tune, but the xcal3 cannot do it with preloaded tunes
    So you have to purchase a custom tune from a tuner with it shut off first?

New SVT Poster
    So you have to purchase a custom tune from a tuner with it shut off first?
    Yes that's correct. A custom tuner can write it in your CUSTOM tune. Justin at VMP is good

Crazy SVT Poster
    Yes that's correct. A custom tuner can write it in your CUSTOM tune. Justin at VMP is good
    Thanks, contact information?

New SVT Poster
    Thanks, contact information?
    VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: VMP Custom E-Mail Tune for X2,X3,Livewire,TSX Tuners (all Ford Vehicles)

Pretty self-explanatory. There is a box near the bottom when you can put in requests for special things, such as the pats elimination. They are swamped at the moment. Took me 3 weeks to get my tune, and I will be flashing it in tomorrow when I get my Livewire back from SCT. It comes across that Justin doesn't care, but he's really just super busy. He's been very helpful in the 3 or 4 times I've called him on the phone.

Crazy SVT Poster Lethalvenom2008's Avatar
    i bought one from americanmuscle with free tunes for life.would their tune work?taking the pats off.?