Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 105
  1. #1

  2. #2
    SVT God D.T.R's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    3,615
    Wow that's weird
    9.5:1 Aluminator
    Hellion TT kit
    JPC's triple 465 fuel system
    Supporting mods.
    950whp/825wtq @ 16psi~ (Gulf 116)
    675whp/585wtq @ 9psi~ (pump93)
    9.5@147mph @ 15psi.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by D.T.R View Post
    Wow that's weird
    The theory now is that since no oil squirters, no need for the thinner oil. The boss and shelby take it. That 5w50 shit aint cheap either. $100 oil change for the shelby at ford. I know, I had one.

  4. #4
    OWNER/ADMIN SID297's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2003
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    34,489

    My Social Networking

    Follow SID297 On Twitter Add SID297 on Facebook Add SID297 on Google+ Visit SID297's Youtube Channel
    Possible, or it could just be a Boss oil cap. In any event I wouldn't use Ford's recommendation, be it 5w20 or 5w50.
    Silver 04 Lightning (aka The Defiant) Build date: 04/19/04 Delivered: 5/15/04



    Let's crank up the boost and see what shakes loose.

  5. #5
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    August 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    184
    Deysha stated on another forum that only the track pack and boss models are noted to run 50 instead of 20; her reasoning was because of the more enthusiast-like 'uses' of the vehicle. (running the motor harder)

    Read more here: Ford 5w-20 vs. 5w-30 info: TSB 01-4-7(2001) - Ford Mustang Forums
    2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembos

  6. #6
    OWNER/ADMIN SID297's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2003
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    34,489

    My Social Networking

    Follow SID297 On Twitter Add SID297 on Facebook Add SID297 on Google+ Visit SID297's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by SicShelby09 View Post
    The theory now is that since no oil squirters, no need for the thinner oil. The boss and shelby take it. That 5w50 shit aint cheap either. $100 oil change for the shelby at ford. I know, I had one.
    The GT500 has squirters now and uses the some oil.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by SID297 View Post
    Possible, or it could just be a Boss oil cap. In any event I wouldn't use Ford's recommendation, be it 5w20 or 5w50.
    Yeah I know its not a hoax. There are others that have posted up in that thread that just got 13's and they say they have the 50 cap. They also say they have the track pak.

  8. #8
    OWNER/ADMIN SID297's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2003
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    34,489

    My Social Networking

    Follow SID297 On Twitter Add SID297 on Facebook Add SID297 on Google+ Visit SID297's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by cbaty08 View Post
    Deysha stated on another forum that only the track pack and boss models are noted to run 50 instead of 20; her reasoning was because of the more enthusiast-like 'uses' of the vehicle. (running the motor harder)

    Read more here: Ford 5w-20 vs. 5w-30 info: TSB 01-4-7(2001) - Ford Mustang Forums
    That sounds more likely.

  9. #9
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    382
    This has been discussed much on other forums. To summarize what we know so far:

    1. In addition to the GT500s and Boss Mustangs, the 2013 Track Pack came with an oil cap stating 5w-50 was required. However, the manual still said 5w-20. In response, Ford has issued a supplement to the owner's manual stating the Track Pack GT needs 5w-50.

    2. According to a Ford rep on ALLMUSTANGFORUMS, there is no mechanical difference between the 2013 GT and the 2013 GT Track Pack. The difference is only the "expected use" of the motor, i.e. for track use.

    3. This would imply that 5w-50 could be used in the regular 2013 despite what the owner's manual said. When asked whether that was true, the Ford rep did not directly answer. Further, even if the regular 2013 GT could use 5w-50, she did not comment on whether this logic could be applied to the 2011-2012 GTs or whether the oil squirters precluded it.

    Bottom line, at least for the 2013s, it would seem the 5w-20 might be "required" only for CAFE, as many have suspected. However, it could still be argued there is a mechanical reason for the 5w-20 on the 2011 and 2012 models.

  10. #10
    OWNER/ADMIN SID297's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2003
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    34,489

    My Social Networking

    Follow SID297 On Twitter Add SID297 on Facebook Add SID297 on Google+ Visit SID297's Youtube Channel
    Just put some premium 5w30 or 5w40 oil in it and be done with it.

  11. #11
    SVT God kingnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,200
    and here we go again.

  12. #12
    Engine Lubrication Guru UnleashedBeast's Avatar
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    October 2010
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    8,409
    Oil viscosity selection depends on more than just the engine, but how the engine will be used. For grocery getting, and obviously CAFE law standards, a 5W-20 grade could be used. For extended session road racing, obviously the lubricant is going to achieve a much higher heat threshold. This would require a more viscous lubricant.

    5W-50 Motorcraft and Castrol Castrol rapidly shear to a lighter grade, so the option to use a superior true synthetic 10W-40 for road racing application is a far wiser selection.

    5W-20 Motorcraft (and other brands) are less viscous that what I prefer when aggressive street driving and drag racing events occur. This is where 30 grade lubricants are the choice for me. A true synthetic 10W-30 has the cold flow performance of a lesser base stock 5W-30, yet far superior shear resistance. This means that it will be superior for use in street cars used above 32*F all year long (southern cars). For northern cars driven in harsh winter climates, started multiple times a day, I recommend a robust true synthetic 0W-30.

    For the record, Mobil 1, Castrol and Pennzoil have been using highly refined petroleum in their mixtures for years. When I say "true synthetic", the main brand big oil bottles on the shelf are NOT what I'm referring to.

    For you computer programmers out there. . .

    int Mobile 1, Castrol, Pennzoil != 100% true synthetic *obviously this would create an error, but you get the point*
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 05-09-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    2014 Mustang GT: Sterling Gray | NAV | Recaros | Brembos | Glass Roof | back up camera | 6 speed auto
    Armageddon Twin Turbo build in progress

    2007+ Shelby GT500 UOA thread | 2012+ Boss 302 UOA Thread | 2011+ GT UOA Thread

  13. #13
    Crazy SVT Poster lukem80's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2005
    Location
    Montgomery, AL
    Posts
    719
    I don't post often.. but when I do I trololoolololol!!!

    I'm going to put in the ford juice that ford tells me to use and in 10 years when this thing is on its 4th owner and half beat to death I won't care

  14. #14
    Rookie SVT Poster cababah's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2010
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    91
    ...and there you have it. Straight from Ford.

    Use 5w-20 if you care about mpg
    Use 5w-50 if you care about your engine.

    $100 says 90% of 5.0 owners now switch to 5w-50.

    Thanks a lot, Ford...2 years after the engine's release and we now finally know what the proper oil is for the engine if we want longevity. Guess the owners manual is garbage.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by cababah View Post
    ...and there you have it. Straight from Ford.

    Use 5w-20 if you care about mpg
    Use 5w-50 if you care about your engine.

    $100 says 90% of 5.0 owners now switch to 5w-50.

    Thanks a lot, Ford...2 years after the engine's release and we now finally know what the proper oil is for the engine if we want longevity. Guess the owners manual is garbage.
    I disagree. The oil squirter debate sounds more relevant. The cars that have it may need thinner oil as not to raise the oil pressure too high trying to get that heavy oil through there. That sounds right, but who knows.

  16. #16
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    382
    Sometimes I wonder whether folks bother reading the current posts before popping in with a new post.

    There seems to be info that would suggest 5w-50 is okay for the 2013 GT, as least from a warranty standpoint, since the 2013 GT and the 2013 GT Track Pack are mechanically identical. However, Ford has said/done nothing that would indicate it is okay for the 2011 or 2012 GTs. Since there are minor changes to the engine for 2013 (like the oil squirters, as SicShelby09 said), we will probably never really get a definitive answer from Ford.

    This says nothing about the validity of UNLEASHBEAST's argument; however, it's more about what Ford can claim in the event of an engine failure and less about what's actually best for the engine.
    Last edited by cidsamuth; 05-09-2012 at 05:27 PM.

  17. #17
    Rookie SVT Poster cababah's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2010
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
    Sometimes I wonder whether folks bother reading the current posts before popping in with a new post.

    There seems to be info that would suggest 5w-50 is okay for the 2013 GT, as least from a warranty standpoint, since the 2013 GT and the 2013 GT Track Pack are mechanically identical. However, Ford has said/done nothing that would indicate it is okay for the 2011 or 2012 GTs. Since there are minor changes to the engine for 2013 (like the oil squirters, as SicShelby09 said), we will probably never really get a definitive answer from Ford.

    This says nothing about the validity of UNLEASHBEAST's argument; however, it's more about what Ford can claim in the event of an engine failure and less about what's actually best for the engine.
    Except the 13' GT500 also has piston cooling jets and calls for 5W-50...your move. ;)

    Edit. Didn't realize it was you, Cid! This is ongoing on AFM too
    Last edited by cababah; 05-09-2012 at 05:39 PM.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by cababah View Post
    Except the 13' GT500 also has piston cooling jets and calls for 5W-50...your move
    Maybe the diameter of the jets are bigger to allow the thicker oil to flow?? Anyone know?

  19. #19
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by cababah View Post
    Except the 13' GT500 also has piston cooling jets and calls for 5W-50...your move
    Touche. I don't know, but perhaps they are designed for the thicker oil, as SicShelby wonders.

  20. #20
    Engine Lubrication Guru UnleashedBeast's Avatar
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    October 2010
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    8,409
    You guys are assuming that a 50 grade lubricant is required because there are no piston squirters, assuming that a 50 grade is too viscous to pump through a squirter.

    The truth is, the lack of squirters means the piston is going to be much hotter without a constant flow of oil cooling it down. Hotter oil around the piston means a lubricant with a higher high temp/high shear HT/HS is required. This is the viscosity of a lubricant at 300*F (150*C)

    20 grade lubricants are in the 2.8 range (too light for road racing heat)

    50 grade lubricants are in the 4.5-5.0 range - good for road racing (robust true synthetic 40 grades are as well)

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
    You guys are assuming that a 50 grade lubricant is required because there are no piston squirters, assuming that a 50 grade is too viscous to pump through a squirter.

    The truth is, the lack of squirters means the piston is going to be much hotter without a constant flow of oil cooling it down. Hotter oil around the piston means a lubricant with a higher high temp/high shear HT/HS is required. This is the viscosity of a lubricant at 300*F (150*C)

    20 grade lubricants are in the 2.8 range (too light for road racing heat)

    50 grade lubricants are in the 4.5-5.0 range - good for road racing (robust true synthetic 40 grades are as well)
    That doesnt quite make sense seing as that people are saying the 13 GT500 does have the squirters. With that said, why does it still need the higher viscosity oil? Without the squirters, then by your theory it should need them no?

  22. #22
    whats so hard to understand about this?

    50 is a little extra cushion forhard core beating the crap out of a car, 20 is fine for everything else.

  23. #23
    Crazy SVT Poster twistedneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2011
    Location
    Dearborn, MI
    Posts
    994
    there is an oil cooler on the new track pack, and on all the engines that have the 5W-50 oil. The 50W oil runs hotter for what ever reason than 5W-20. more viscosity, shear level 50W may need a cooler in these engines. Also along with the cooler the track pack has the boss radiator.
    Last edited by twistedneck; 05-09-2012 at 07:40 PM.

  24. #24
    OWNER/ADMIN SID297's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2003
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    34,489

    My Social Networking

    Follow SID297 On Twitter Add SID297 on Facebook Add SID297 on Google+ Visit SID297's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by SicShelby09 View Post
    That doesnt quite make sense seing as that people are saying the 13 GT500 does have the squirters. With that said, why does it still need the higher viscosity oil? Without the squirters, then by your theory it should need them no?
    Part of it is the need for a stronger film. The GT500 make 3.5X as much power as the first modular on bearing surfaces of the exact same dimensions. That translates to the oil having to maintain a film under much higher pressures.

  25. #25
    Engine Lubrication Guru UnleashedBeast's Avatar
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    October 2010
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    8,409
    Quote Originally Posted by SicShelby09 View Post
    That doesnt quite make sense seing as that people are saying the 13 GT500 does have the squirters. With that said, why does it still need the higher viscosity oil? Without the squirters, then by your theory it should need them no?
    Don't take Ford's recommendation as gospel. They are assuming the car is going to be road raced all the time. If that were true, we wouldn't be able to run Amsoil ATM 10W-30 in the GT500 for street use with the 170* thermostat, and road raced with Amsoil AMO 10W-40 with the stock or 170* thermostat.

    Ford also knows that their 5W-50 shears rapidly to a light grade 40 weight. That needs to be considered in this debate. Motorcraft 5W-50 is filled with viscosity improver polymers that shear rapidly, bringing the formulation back to it's native base stock performance.
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 05-09-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •