Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer

Thoughts on this product from the svtperformance community? it really seems to help older engines out. I've heard mixed reviews but the majority likes this product. On a scientific level people say it doesn't hurt the oil that it mixes with and that it doesn't cause aeration unlike the boboilguy gear model which suppose to act like the inside of engine...
    01 Silver Audi A4 - Daily
    96 Mustang GT - Modded
    03 SB Terminator - Future

Engine Lubrication Guru UnleashedBeast's Avatar
    Premium Member
    Lucas Oil Stabilizer isn't the best option to use in an engine, and here is why.

It's a very viscous 60 grade base stock lubricant that has little to no additives. It does nothing more than thicken the oil you are mixing it with, while also diluting the additives. Why would you want to reduce the percentage of additives in the lubricant when replacing one quart of normal oil with LOS?

Do it correctly, simply buy a robust lubricant in a heavier 20W-50 grade. You will achieve similar viscosity grades, but you will not reduce the additive percentages.

OP, do you have a particular engine in question?
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 05-22-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    2014 Mustang GT: Sterling Gray | NAV | Recaros | Brembos | Glass Roof | back up camera | 6 speed auto

2007+ Shelby GT500 UOA thread | 2012+ Boss 302 UOA Thread | 2011+ GT UOA Thread

My Social Networking

Follow SID297 On Twitter Add SID297 on Facebook Add SID297 on Google+ Visit SID297's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
    Lucas Oil Stabilizer isn't the best option to use in an engine, and here is why.

It's a very viscous 60 grade base stock lubricant that has little to no additives. It does nothing more than thicken the oil you are mixing it with, while also diluting the additives. Why would you want to reduce the percentage of additives in the lubricant when replacing one quart of normal oil with LOS?

Do it correctly, simply buy a robust lubricant in a heavier 20W-50 grade. You will achieve similar viscosity grades, but you will not reduce the additive percentages.

Exactly, I'm not sure why people use that stuff.
    The SVTP 2012 GT is For Sale. Click Here for Details.

Silver 04 Lightning (aka The Defiant) Build date: 04/19/04 Delivered: 5/15/04

Let's crank up the boost and see what shakes loose.

Quote Originally Posted by SID297 View Post
    Because it's on sale at Pep Boys!

Aerodynamics is for people that who don't know how to build engines.
    ~Enzo Ferrari

"The Presidency
    Too much job,
    Not enough man"
    ~Me

I think the best possible reason I can think of is to control oil burn off, like valve seal wear or just normal run of the mill problems that aren't severe. If your constantly topping off an older engine that is using great oil it can get expensive. I just never saw negative effects from this and wanted to know people opinions. It definitely makes engines feel peppier, probably because it's a heavier grade oil which causes higher oil pressure correct?

Quote Originally Posted by SID297 View Post
    Instead of getting rid of an old beater or rebuilding an engine it helps in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    Lol. Not on sale there are other alternatives out there...

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NasteeNate View Post
    It definitely makes engines feel peppier, probably because it's a heavier grade oil which causes higher oil pressure correct?
    Well, it does increase oil pressure due to a higher viscosity. Making the engine feel peppier...that's normally associated with a lighter viscosity or true synthetic base stocks that have lower frictional coefficients.

Well, it does increase oil pressure due to a higher viscosity. Making the engine feel peppier...that's normally associated with a lighter viscosity or true synthetic base stocks that have lower frictional coefficients.
    Thanks for info!

Crazy SVT Poster
    I remember a test performed by "Bob is the Oil Guy" showing that the Lucas oil stabilizer foams up pretty badly when used in high RPM applications.

Basically it compared regular motor oil with Lucas Oil Stabilizer, and the Lucas turned to foam when it was exposed to high RPM/windage. Obviously foam is not good and will cause the oil sump to suck air, resulting in a loss of oil pressure.

So while it may be fine for a tractor or low RPM diesel, its not reccommended for performance applications.
    04 Cobra - I/E/Pulley/Tune

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman113 View Post
    I remember a test performed by "Bob is the Oil Guy" showing that the Lucas oil stabilizer foams up pretty badly when used in high RPM applications.

Basically it compared regular motor oil with Lucas Oil Stabilizer, and the Lucas turned to foam when it was exposed to high RPM/windage. Obviously foam is not good and will cause the oil sump to suck air, resulting in a loss of oil pressure.

So while it may be fine for a tractor or low RPM diesel, its not reccommended for performance applications.
    I believe they proved it wrong because it doesn't cause aeration in crank case of the engine compared to the gear model. I read it on bobs forum.

i have to say in older engines like the 302-351 ect. Lucus was great when it had high miles or small leaks. best stuff ever in old stuff. but id agree in the newer engines with much tighter clearences an high rpm its not the best choice.

2008 Shelby GT500
    2921 out of 6513 coupes
    132 of 314 Alloy Metallic

Shelby Dash Plaque,FRPP TVS Super power pack ,Drag Pack,SVT handling pack,FRPP Cobra Jet TB/MAF/80lb injectors,J&M UCA,LCA,Adj.PHB,SFC,PH A/D,O/R H, DynoMax 3in,CHE, Shelby Rad/HE,VMP 2.59,KB BAP,L&M plenum,BMR KMEMEBER,AED CUSTOM RETURN STYLE FUEL SYSTEM.
    91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
    700HP/700TQ ON E85
    10.78 @ 129MPH 1.644 60FT

2014 Fiesta ST Green Envy Tricoat
    2014 Tuxedo Black Fusion

WWW.AEDHP.COM

My Social Networking

Follow SID297 On Twitter Add SID297 on Facebook Add SID297 on Google+ Visit SID297's Youtube Channel
    If you use Lucas and thinks it help you should just use a thicker oil to start with and save the money you'd spend on the additive.

SVT God
    That stuff is a NO GO!

i liked it in my old FE 390 motor, it had around 225k miles on it and yes it needed more oil pressure due to age. it seemed to quite it down a little bit too. i change the mach1 and lightning oil at the same time so i splite a bottle of that stuff between the two. never really noticed anything from the useage though.
    2004 white mach1 391rwhp
    2001 ford lightning 420 rwhp
    2011 Mitsubishi evolution GSR 686 awhp RG, 550 awhp on 93

Premium Member
    The better alternative would have been a robust 20W-50 lubricant.

Great responses! But I really believe for older engines it helps.

I'll chime in, since I use the stuff.

The reason I use it is because Blackstone Labs actually recomended it to me. I figure if an independant lab that does oil testing recomended, it can't be all bad.

I was seeing some strange wear in my Terminator motor so I started running a quart of LOS in place of one of the 6 quarts of 5w20, that I normally would use, and my test results improved. I was open tracking the car at the time and would change my oil every other event, so my oil was getting changed about every 300 miles and seeing frequent testing. LOS actually has a viscosity of 45wt,not 60 as mentioned earlier. It is also a 70% sythetic base and 30% additives.

Also I believe that 5w20 is to light for a Terminator engine anyway and probably switching to 5w30 would give the same results. The 5w20 was probably used by Ford to squeeze out a little more fuel economy and HP numbers.

I also use a quart of LOS in my 7.3 diesel when I change that. Blackstone has recomended to me that I could extend my oil change intervals to 8K miles with the current oil and useage that I do. I just can't bring myself to wait that long so the 7.3 gets changed every 7K miles with petro based Motorcraft 15w40 and a quart of LOS. Currently it has 178K miles and still going strong.

I switched from my Terminator, to an old school '90GT for open track about 2 years ago. The motor has 97K miles on it and I am not as particular about whether it has to get replaced, since it probably will need it soon anyway and it is cheaper to build than a mod motor. I have been running diesel oil, 15w40 in that with 1/2 a quart of LOS. I have done no testing but, I will grab a sample this next oil change and report back what I find. I did change the heads over to iron GT40s recently, and when I pulled the original heads off you could still clearly see the cross hatch pattern on the cylinder walls. No unusual scoring of any kind.

I do think in most cases a switch to a next higher grade oil would be fine, but in cases like my diesel that is not an option. Also I am just looking for a little more robustness to the oil. In any event, so far it has worked great for me and I have been using it regularly for about 3 years.
    Last edited by wheelhopper; 06-04-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhopper View Post
    I was seeing some strange wear in my Terminator motor so I started running a quart of LOS in place of one of the 6 quarts of 5w20, that I normally would use, and my test results improved. I was open tracking the car at the time and would change my oil every other event, so my oil was getting changed about every 300 miles and seeing frequent testing.
    You were open tracking your car with a 5W-20 grade lubricant? That's the strange wear problem you were experiencing. Minimal, you should have been using a robust true synthetic 10W-30.

Also I believe that 5w20 is to light for a Terminator engine anyway and probably switching to 5w30 would give the same results. The 5w20 was probably used by Ford to squeeze out a little more fuel economy and HP numbers.
    Correct, 5W-20 was adopted for CAFE laws only. Road racing with a 20 grade lubricant is a bad idea.

LOS actually has a viscosity of 45wt,not 60 as mentioned earlier. It is also a 70% sythetic base and 30% additives.
    The one VOA (Virgin Oil Analysis) I've seen on LOS doesn't support these claims. Viscosity was in the 60 grade range with no anti-wear additives to speak of. It was nothing more than a super viscous base stock used to increase the viscosity of another host lubricant.
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 06-04-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Haveyoutriedhittingher? Boomer182's Avatar

Exactly its never worked in anything I have ever used it in. Its snake oil IMO.
    1951 Ford F1 Rat Rod.Slow and loud.

2004 BMW M3 Vert CAI, TSW wheels. Exhaust and a single turbo soon to come.

1985 Mustang Coupe 6.0 T56

2007 GMC Sierra extend cab black on black stock 20's DD.

Bobby Bouche's momma invented Lucas Oil Stabilizer.......

I used it once in a Crown Vic Po-po car that I had ridden hard for 100,000 miles. It didn't make any improvement.
    Last edited by silver03svt; 06-04-2012 at 10:50 PM.

I think there might be a difference between synthetic version, and non-synthetic version. 45wt for synthetic, and 60wt for the other. And I'm purely guessing here.

Premium Member
    I think there might be a difference between synthetic version, and non-synthetic version. 45wt for synthetic, and 60wt for the other. And I'm purely guessing here.
    I tried to verify this a few days ago, but was unsuccessful. For some reason, the few VOAs that existed on the interwebz has become extinct.

Call it like I see it.... '03snkbt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    lol....i work there PT for shits & giggles and for the discount. get to order some things at a corporate rate.....it pays off!
    people buy that stuff daily. would never use in my car.
    03 MG Cobra.....RIP 6/29/13
    Whipple 2.9~Lethal Return~80's~FTBR~FRPP~RXT/Viper Spec T56.......tuned by Eric Brooks
    93 5.0.....sold

on the prowl for next project.....

I'm sure your right an there is a difference between the two. I've never seen it cause a car not to run right.

Quote Originally Posted by me32 View Post
    i'm sure your right an there is a difference between the two. I've never seen it cause a car not to run right.
    +1

Semi user friendly Jimmysidecarr's Avatar
    Call any oil company in the world besides Lucas and ask what they think about using oil additives. They are going to tell you not to use oil additives.

Lucas oil stabilizer is basically a bottle/can of viscosity improver.(VI additive)

You can accomplish the same thing with better results by simply buying the next heavier grade of oil, except then your additive balance will be as designed by the oil company. Assuming your engine is worn out enough to benefit from a heavier oil.

Just run a better oil, it's been working for me.
    Jimmy
    Still kicking! HOT ROD POWER TOUR LONG HAULER! 2014 AND 2013!
    MYSTICHROME #539<-The AWESOMENESS is fade resistant.
    2004 SVT Focus daily beater
    Sr. Automotive Technical Support with *Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants<-and LOVING it!
    *The Performance Oil that Outperforms®*
    If you love ADRENALIN LIKE I DO and haven't tried this yet....
    YOU NEED TO!!!---->
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ALG6pN_R0
    Mods page http://www.gotstang.com/webpages/Jim...-Mustang/mods/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast